NFL Coaches Yell At Refs Because It Freakin’ Works

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Click link below and scroll down to watch videos.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...ecause-it-freakin-works/?ex_cid=story-twitter

NFL Coaches Yell At Refs Because It Freakin’ Works
By Noah Davis and Michael Lopez

johnharbaugh.jpg

In the first quarter of a scoreless 2016 AFC Championship game against the New England Patriots, Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos faced third-and-6 from their own 44-yard line. Wide receiver Demaryius Thomas ran a 15-yard out, breaking toward the Broncos’ sideline.

He did not catch Manning’s wobbly throw, but there was contact on the play, and Denver’s players and coaching staff appealed to the official for a pass interference call on Patriots cornerback Logan Ryan. They got one, and the Broncos got a first down, scoring the game’s opening touchdown four plays later.

On the ensuing drive, the Patriots faced third-and-3 at their own 27-yard line. Rob Gronkowski ran a wheel route up the Broncos’ sideline with T.J. Ward in coverage. As the Patriots tight end turned to look back for the ball, the defender made contact and shoved him, preventing a catch. Both Gronk and Tom Brady yelled for a penalty. The flag did not come, and the Patriots were forced to punt.

Similar plays led to different outcomes that benefited the team on the sideline closest to the on-field action. Most NFL refs would likely say they are immune any sideline bias. “If I make a call because a coach is screaming at me on one side of the field and it’s wrong, that’s a bad day for me,” former NFL official Scott Green told us. (The NFL declined to comment.)

But as it turns out, a sideline bias in the NFL is real, and it’s spectacular. To prove it, we looked at the rates at which refs call the NFL’s most severe penalties, including defensive pass interference, aggressive infractions like personal fouls and unnecessary roughness, and offensive holding calls, based on where the offensive team ran its play.

For three common penalties, the direction of the play — that is, whether it’s run toward the offensive or defensive team’s sideline — makes a significant difference. In other words, refs make more defensive pass interference calls on the offensive team’s sideline but more offensive holding calls on the defensive team’s sideline.

What’s more, these differences aren’t uniform across the field — the effect only shows up on plays run, roughly, between the 32-yard lines, the same space where coaches and players are allowed to stand during play.

The following graphs show the penalty rates per 1,000 plays for defensive pass interference and aggressive defensive penalties, which include unnecessary roughness, personal fouls, unsportsmanlike conduct, and horse-collar tackles.

lopez-sideline-1.png

Refs throw flags for defensive infractions at significantly higher rates when plays are run in the direction of the offensive team’s sideline; near midfield, defensive penalties are called about 50 percent more often on the offensive team’s sideline than the defensive team’s. Close to the end zone, where the sidelines are supposed to be free of coaches and players, these differences are negligible.

For offensive flags, that association is reversed, at least on holding penalties. Here’s the rate of holding calls made on outside run plays, which shows how the defensive team’s sideline can help draw flags on the offense. Around midfield, offensive holding gets called about 35 percent more often on plays run at the defensive team’s sideline.

lopez-sideline-2.png

So what could be causing this phenomenon?

Refs are faced with a near-impossible task. They make judgment calls in real time, relying on just their eyes and their experience. Deprived of the advantages, like instant replay, that we enjoy from the couch, refs have less information to help them resist the normal subconscious urge to draw on external cues for assistance in making borderline calls.

In psychology terms, this process is called cue learning. It’s why we laugh longer in the presence of other humans laughing, why we eat more in the presence of overweight company, and why our judgment of persuasive speeches is influenced by the audience’s reaction.

The most common cue in sports is crowd noise, and because crowd noise almost always supports the home team, the way the fans sway the referees is the No. 1 driver of home-field advantage in sports. And one notable experiment suggests that how loud a crowd is helps refs decide whether an interaction should be penalized.

A pair of German researchers showed actual referees old video clips of possible soccer infractions, with crowd noise played at high or low volume. Refs looking at the exact same interactions were more likely to hand out a yellow card when they heard a lot of crowd noise than when the volume was low.

It follows, then, that screaming and hat-throwing football personnel may also have an effect on referee choices. In football, this sideline bias even seems to supersede refs’ tendency to support the home team: The differences in the penalty rates from sideline to sideline are several times larger than the differences in penalty rates between the home and away teams.

That bias can affect the outcome even when officials have time to confer. In a 2015 playoff game between the Dallas Cowboys and the Detroit Lions, Matthew Stafford threw a third-and-1 pass to Brandon Pettigrew. Officials initially called defensive pass interference on the Cowboys’ Anthony Hitchens.

But the flag occurred right in front of the Cowboys sideline. This led to some confusion. It also led to a helmetless Dez Bryant yelling at the official.

After conferring with each other, the officials picked up the flag, a decision that Mike Pereira, Fox Sports’ rules analyst and the NFL’s former vice president of officiating, said was incorrect. Brian Burke of Advanced Football Analytics calculates that when the official picked up the flag, the Lions’ chances of winning that game dropped by 12 percentage points.

Dallas won 24-20.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No wonder we didn't get the calls. Fisher showed his displeasure with the refs with shoulder massages and butt-pats. ;)

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
So some of you know I ref HS ball, when home. I can see this happening. I normally work one of the sidelines, sometimes the coaches are in my ear the whole game, those guys I ignore completely. Some coaches are masters at referee manipulation and I am sure I've fallen victim to it.

It's hard to not doubt yourself when the entire crowd is freaking out about something that you may have missed. This happens a lot with PI, but they don't know the rules. They also don't understand rules vs. phylosophy.

Though we don't get much crowd noise, it is key to stay focused and call only what you are 100% sure you see not what the crowd sees. (they actually have a better view than I do, but they don't know the rules, so it's advantage me)

Zero

Pro Bowler
So some of you know I ref HS ball, when home. I can see this happening. I normally work one of the sidelines, sometimes the coaches are in my ear the whole game, those guys I ignore completely. Some coaches are masters at referee manipulation and I am sure I've fallen victim to it.

It's hard to not doubt yourself when the entire crowd is freaking out about something that you may have missed. This happens a lot with PI, but they don't know the rules. They also don't understand rules vs. phylosophy.

Though we don't get much crowd noise, it is key to stay focused and call only what you are 100% sure you see not what the crowd sees. (they actually have a better view than I do, but they don't know the rules, so it's advantage me)
You sir,are a brave man.It takes a special person to be
able to do your job.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
You sir,are a brave man.It takes a special person to be
able to do your job.

Thank you but Na, it's fun. It is the only way I can be around football, not home enough to coach.
If you only knew the things I have done in airplanes that are dangerous..................

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yeah, it is quite obvious when you watch Crazy Jim, Cheerleader Pete, and Pigface get the calls after yelling at refs all game long, that it has an influence. Belichick is a master at manipulating refs. Being nice to them doesn't pay. Fisher wants to sing kumbaya while sitting in a circle with them before the game. That just makes them even more comfortable screwing him over to keep the other guy from jumping down their throats.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://wtop.com/nfl/2017/01/whose-side-nfl-referees-make-big-difference/

Whose side are you on? For NFL referees, it could make a big difference
By Rick Massimo

Panthers-Saints-Football18-1716x1254.jpeg

Pass interference or no? It could depend on where on the field it happened. (AP Photo/Butch Dill)

They call it working the refs, and, in the NFL at least, it works.

An analysis by the statistics site 538 found that, while noise from the home crowd is thought to influence officials’ calls and non-calls, the side of the field a play flows toward may be a far more important factor.

Authors Noah Davis and Michael Lopez analyzed every regular-season play between 2010 and 2014 and found that defensive pass interference, and other aggressive penalties such as personal fouls, unsportsmanlike conduct and horse-collar tackles, were called significantly more often when plays were run toward the offense’s side of the field than the defense’s.

Conversely, on running plays, offensive holding penalties were called more frequently on plays run toward the defensive side of the field.

The hypothesis is simple — an official has more players and coaches screaming for a call on one side of the field or another — and the numbers hold that up: The difference was even more stark when the play happened between the 32-yard lines — the bench area where players and coaches are allowed to congregate. When the action was closer to one of the goal lines, without players and coaches offering — um, advice, the difference was less noticeable, and in some cases reversed.

The numbers cut against the referees’ self-perception as unflappable straight shooters — Davis told WTOP he spoke with a prominent former NFL referee who had officiated three Super Bowls who “just refused to believe the numbers we have were true” — but they’re hard to deny.

“The differences in the penalty rates from sideline to sideline are several times larger than the differences in penalty rates between the home and away teams,” the authors write.

Davis and Lopez write that the effect is called “cue learning” — it’s why, for example, people laugh longer when other people are laughing, and why we eat more when we’re around overweight people.

Officials have to make snap judgments at high speed and without replay, so it’s harder to get it right than it is for those sitting and watching in the stands or on TV and leaves officials open to the kind of influence Davis and Lopez found, Davis said.

“I’m amazed refs get calls right as often as they do,” Davis told WTOP — although, as he acknowledged, their numbers reflect not only what gets called but what doesn’t.

The crowd-noise factor is still real, and happens in other sports: The authors cite a German study in which soccer referees watched videos of borderline plays accompanied by varying levels of crowd noise, which found that “referee decisions are strongly influenced by crowd noise” and that home-field advantage is real.

And there’s not much to do about such subconscious bias if it isn’t at least acknowledged.

Davis said he and Lopez could soon be taking another look at the data to see whether certain teams already know what they’ve found out, and are perhaps using as a factor in their play-calling.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

I had a ref in high school make fun of me for swearing so much. Lol!