NFL chat with Jim Thomas: 4/5/16

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are selected questions and answers. To read the whole chat click the link below.
************************************************************************************
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/NFL_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_12?Page=0

NFL chat with Jim Thomas

How many WRs do Fisher's Rams normally take into training camp? Do you know how many are on the roster, now?

Usually it's about a dozen when it comes to the 90-man roster. Right now I count 7 on the roster, and that's including Stedman Bailey who's status remains uncertain. Here's my list, listed alphabetically: Austin, Bailey, Britt, Long, Marquez, Quick, Toon..I don't think I'm missing anybody. In case you're wondering, that's Deon Long.
-----------
Do you believe the NFL is over expanding itself by wanting to play games in China and Berlin. Do you believe it will alienate the American fan base?

I wouldn't think the fans in those cities that are losing home games would be too thrilled. After all, you only get 8 regular-season home games to begin with. As I've mentioned before, the league is obsessed with expanding its product overseas. I don't see anything that will stop this trend, at least not in the near future.
-----------
I know KC Star will cover their team very well and one can go there to get news. Will the PD be doing articles specific to the Chiefs or any other teams?

Yes, we plan to cover several Chiefs games this season. I did a Chiefs story at the NFL owners meetings you might recall. The Star does an excellent job; I still know many of their writers. But sometimes it's good to get a slightly different perspective or a different voice. And hopefully we will provide that when we write on the Chiefs.

But we will also write about other teams. Maybe, I'll head over to Indy to write a Brian Schottenheimer story. Or maybe I'll head down to Tennessee to check in on the progress of Dorial Green-Beckham, or up to Chicago for whatever. Nothing is set in stone at this point, and I'm sure it will evolve as we go along.
-----------
How do you rate this year's draft class compared to other recent years?

Very deep on the defensive line, particularly at defensive tackle. Pretty good at cornerback as well. I would say just so-so at the other defensive positions. At quarterback, I can't sit here and tell you there is a franchise player or two, but I think there are a half dozen or so prospects that could help a team in varying degrees.

So-so at tight end and wide receiver. I really like Ezekiel Elliott at RB. Pretty good year on the offensive line. So while I don't think it's a class for the ages, like the Class of 2011 could be, it's not a bad group. Maybe slightly above average heading in.
-----------
Any inside insight on the QB situation? Maybe a trade or draft day trade up?

With only 6 draft picks, the Rams don't have a lot of resources to move up unless they are willing to part with picks from future drafts as well. Yes, I know they have two seconds, but its hard to imagine them wanting to part with one of them. I really think the Rams have to get into the top 7 to get either Goff or Wentz. Lynch to me is kind of a wild-card _ not sure how high he will go or if the Rams would take him at 15. Keep an eye on Connor Cook.
-----------
Of the second tier (or later) QBs in this upcoming NFL draft, which ones, if any, do you think have a shot at being a decent NFL QB?

For the sake of argument, I'm going to include Goff, Wentz, and Lynch as the first tier. So out of that second group, I would say Connor Cook, Kevin Hogan, Dak Prescott. Further down the line, Jeff Driskel is interesting; I think the Rams have shown some interest in him. I just don't see it in Christian Hackenberg _ just don't see the accuracy in him you need to succeed in the NFL.
-----------
outside of QB, what would be the most transformative position for the Rams?

Would love to see an outside wide receiver, or a pass-catching tight end, that has the potential to be a No. 1 receiver.
----------
Do you think The Leg will be given some serious competition in camp and where will it come from, the draft? UDFA?

So says Jeff Fisher, and he's said it on a couple of occasions. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Josh Brown, Randy Bullock, Shayne Graham, and Brandon McManus are still available among veteran kickers. Unless they get extra picks via a trade-down or two, it's hard to see the Rams expending one of their 6 draft picks on a kicker, even as good a John Fassel is in working with young punters and kickers.
----------
What's the status of Benny Cunningham? Is he secure to be a Ram next season?

So far it looks like Cunningham is safe. He made the 1 trip to New England _ wasn't it? _ but so far has yet to receive an offer sheet. But there's still a little ways to go. The deadline for restricted free agents to sign offer sheets from other clubs is April 22 _ or 2 1/2 weeks away.
----------
Do you think the Rams take a chance on Greg Hardy?

Can't see it, With the signing of Coples and the re-signing of Sims the Rams are set with their top 4 DEs.
----------
Are you surprised the Rams haven't shown any interest in Reggie Nelson, Safety from the Bengals? Especially since they would need one now that Mcleod has departed...

I was told early on that the Rams had expressed some interest in Nelson. But from afar this looks like a classic case of a player and/or his agent misjudging the market. And according to the San Francisco Chronicle from earlier today, Nelson is expected to sign with the Raiders.
----------
What do you see as the end game for the Rams at QB this season?

There sure don't look to be any options in terms of veteran QBs. So maybe the Rams stand pat and see what the draft brings. They're sitting at just under $13 million of salary cap space, and might just sit there until the draft because if they take a QB they still could cut or attempt to shop Nick Foles.
---------
Some head coaches have reputations that don't reflect their records, going both ways. Fisher has a reputation as a top tier coach when he was in Tennessee, despite having only modest success while he was there. Do you have ideas why? Do media people just like him?

He was very popular with the media there by all accounts, which never hurts a head coach. And to be fair, the move to Tennessee was brutal, with stops in Memphis and Vanderbilt before the Titans finally got their own stadium. (Plus, a cheap owner didn't make the move any easier.) And after the '99 Super Bowl season, the Titans did go through salary cap hell a few years later, in effect gutting much of the roster and re-building again.
----------
What is your prediction on the draft? Stay put or trade up?

I say Rams more likely too trade down.
--------
Do you think Jared Cook will become an All Pro catching balls from ARod? I can't see it with all of the drops and lazy play from the past few seasons here...

I wouldn't call it lazy play. I'd call it inconsistent play. But unless something happens with his hands, where he becomes more consistent catching the ball, it's tough to see any kind of breakout season taking place. And if it doesn't happen in Green Bay, Cook is pretty much out of excuses, because I think we all would agree that Rodgers is one of a handful of elite QBs capable of making those around him better.
---------
What will you miss most at Rams Park?

There was very little that I didn't like at Rams Park. But if I had to pick one thing, it might be the camaraderie of the media room. It was kind of like our locker room, where no good deed went unpunished and everything and everybody was subject to ridicule. That was especially the case when my dear friend Bryan Burwell was alive. Lots of hours spent there, lots of good times.
----------
Do you think the Chiefs would have any interest in trying to schedule a game in STL?Chiefs VS Colts or Chiefs VS Titans maybe. Preseason game? NFL could at least throw us a bone after they crapped all over STL fans.

Don't think the NFL cares about throwing any bones our way. But I do wonder if down the line, the Chiefs would consider a preseason game here. I like your idea of Chiefs vs. Colts, with St. Louis being midway between the two spots. But I know the Chiefs wouldn't want to do anything to alienate their great fans in KC. Do you think the game would draw well enough here to merit a game here? I don't know.
---------
Which Rams FA that was not resigned are the Rams going to miss the most McLeod ?

It could be McLeod. Free safeties are hard to find. But it could also be Janoris Jenkins, especially if E.J. Gaines doesn't regain his form from his rookie season of 2014.
---------
Thoughts on Lovie Smith moving to college ball?

He seemed to get a raw deal in Chicago and Tampa Bay. Maybe he just decided to try college ball, where success can lead to more stability. And between his time with the Rams and the Bears, he has spent a lot of time in this part of the country, so Illinois makes sense on that level as well. I've heard more about Illinois football in the last few weeks than I have in years. So I think it was a good move. Potentially a great move. As you know, it's all about recruiting and player development in college. That'll be the key for Lovie.
----------
what is your read on the situation with Kaepernick. I understand his reluctance to take a $4 million paycut this year....didn't the Broncos think enough about him to make it up in other ways (like guaranteed money in future years or attainable bonueses, etc.)? Or does Kaep believe that he has a future with SF?

There are no guarantees obviously to how things might shake out in San Fran, but if I were Kaepernick I would be intrigued by the idea of playing with an offensive mind such as Chip Kelly, someone who could potentially make the most of both your running and throwing talents. Don't know why the Broncos don't throw in some incentives to make this worth Kaepernick's while. (Maybe they have discussed such things.) As you probably know, cap issues have complicated all this for the Broncos.
-----------
How would you grade Goodell overall? I say as a businessman he gets a B. As a commissioner, I would give him an F-. I know being a commissioner is a unpopular job, but this guy don't seem to get it unless it's growing.

Maybe I give him a D on matters other than making money. For example, the handling of the Ray Rice and Deflategate controversies certainly were far from stellar. And he certainly wasn't an advocate of St. Louis at crunch in the relocation process. But I think as long as the league keeps making money, he'll keep getting pay raises from the owners.
----------
Do you believe Calvin Johnson will stay retired?

Yes.
----------
Is Fitzpatrick still unsigned? Would that second tier of QB be any upgrade over Kennum and Mannion?

Yes, he's still unsigned. And yes, he would be an upgrade over Keenum and Mannion. I advocated signing him last year.
----------
What kind of year do you see Todd Gurley having?

1,400 yards if he stays healthy.
----------
How long before Gurley leads the league in rushing? Do you think he could overtake AP as soon as this season?

Very possible he could overtake AP if he plays in 16 games and the Rams develop any kind of a passing game.
-----------
I heard the NFL might expand the number of playoff teams. The Rams might actually sneak in at 6-10

I love the system as it is; don't know why the league would want to expand the format. Oh yeah, money.
----------
Could St. Louis offer Mark Davis a financial package that might allow him to maintain ownership of the team long-term, thus making it very attractive to come here?

I think there was a pretty good offer on the table in terms of the stadium deal that was made available to Kroenke. And let's not forget the $158 million naming rights deal. But I think Davis has made it pretty clear he doesn't want to be in StL.
-----------
Is it possible Foles was playing hurt last year? He took a beating early on

In the final days of Earth City, I asked someone in the football "department" about that and was told Foles was not hurt.
----------
Do you think the Rams will try to go after Center in the draft. That seemed to be a major problem in the line for the past few years?

Can't see it as a priority, particularly with needs at other positions. And this may surprise you. but at least one evaluation at Rams Park had Tim Barnes as the team's highest-rated offensive lineman in 2015. Even so, I should mention that the Rams did have formal interviews scheduled with two centers at the NFL Scouting Combine _ Mizzou's Evan Boehm and Alabama's Ryan Kelly.

AllGasNoBrakes

Air Traffic Controller
Rams trading down would be an interesting scenario that hasn't been mocked too often...

Just can't see anyone dying to trade to our spot unless someone really drops.

I could see Fisher wanting another 2nd or 3rd to grab a DT in this deep class for depth.

Regardless, I think I'd rather have Lynch.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Mizzou's Evan Boehm and Alabama's Ryan Kelly.

Two outstanding young Centers. Kelly's well loved by scouts and might even go round 1. Boehm is the guy you can get later, but maybe a better fit with the Rams with his run blocking ability.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I actually think trading down is most likely scenario. Value and need at 15 don't seem to meet all that well. With a draft that may only have 15-17 1st rounders, we're sitting right at the spot where someone would throw a 3rd day pick or late 2nd day pick to jump up.

They could trade down a couple spots and be in line for a WR, TE or QB. And if anyone's worried about losing out on Lynch or Cook, I don't see them getting picked before 20ish.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I'd much rather the Rams trade up and grab Goff or Wentz.

If we don't do that, however, I'm not convinced the other QBs are worth giving up assets for - even if just via using up our draft pick - when we already have Keenum and Mannion. So I'm definitely okay with trading down as opposed to staying put. We seem to have a real inability to scout offensive players. Get more premium picks so we have a few more prime darts to throw at the board. It's also a good draft for defensive line depth, allegedly. Find some depth behind Brockers.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
What's the status of Benny Cunningham? Is he secure to be a Ram next season?
So far it looks like Cunningham is safe. He made the 1 trip to New England _ wasn't it? _ but so far has yet to receive an offer sheet. But there's still a little ways to go. The deadline for restricted free agents to sign offer sheets from other clubs is April 22 _ or 2 1/2 weeks away.

RB Benny Cunningham signed a 1 year, $1,671,000 contract with the Los Angeles Rams on Mar 9 2016. Benny will be a UFA in 2017.

RamGod

UDFA
Would anyone be opposed to a trade down to Denver to pick up Lynch (that is if the Krappernick trade doesn't go through) for 31st pick, 63rd pick(2nd rd) and 136th(4th rd). Giving us ammo in BPA friendly rounds with guys like Josh Doctson, Michael Thomas, Connor Cook, Cardale Jones, Tyler Boyd, Hunter Henry, Elli Apple, Robert Nkiemdiche, Noah Spence, Ryan Kelly...? Having only 3 first round quality QBs and a desperate Elway, I Feel this might be a good way to take advantage to get some 2nd tier talents with much upside.

Psycho_X

Legend
Would anyone be opposed to a trade down to Denver to pick up Lynch (that is if the Krappernick trade doesn't go through) for 31st pick, 63rd pick(2nd rd) and 136th(4th rd). Giving us ammo in BPA friendly rounds with guys like Josh Doctson, Michael Thomas, Connor Cook, Cardale Jones, Tyler Boyd, Hunter Henry, Elli Apple, Robert Nkiemdiche, Noah Spence, Ryan Kelly...? Having only 3 first round quality QBs and a desperate Elway, I Feel this might be a good way to take advantage to get some 2nd tier talents with much upside.

I saw that mock and I wouldn't be opposed to it if Snisher doesn't think whatever QB is left at #15 is a playoff caliber QB. If Denver does then sure. That is a far drop though and Snisher has been extremely hit or miss in the second round range. Seems like they always take the guaranteed talent in the first and when they get into the second round range they start taking risks on physical talent instead of football talent. I'd love it if another team not quite as far down wanted someone there and traded up to get an extra third or fourth along the way and only have to drop 5-8 spots instead of 17. But no I would not be opposed to it depending on who is available and whether the pick would be a QB or not.

RamGod

UDFA
Only scenario I see a trade down not so far is Minnesota(23rd) or Cincy(24) moving up for a Treadwell or Corey Coleman or Josh Doctson.