NFL chat with Jim Thomas: 4/26/16(now with less snark)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are selected questions and answers. To read the whole chat click the link below.
***********************************************************************************
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/NFL_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_15?Page=0

NFL chat with Jim Thomas

If you were the Rams GM would you pick Goff or Wentz?

Myself, I like Wentz better. He's bigger, more athletic, stronger arm. But obviously, he's got a lot less experience than Goff (23 starts) and played at a lower level. All signs pointing to Goff.
----------
Jim, concerning Isaac Bruce's flag football game (already have my tickets!), is there a rule prohibiting active players from participating (assuming they have the day available, of course)?

Unless there's something specifically in a player's contract, I don't think there's a rule prohibiting active players from participating in such an event. But why would you risk it if you're an active player? And just so you know, the Legends of the Dome organizers have reached out to Steven Jackson,, Chris Long, and James Laurinaitis to attend.

Not to play, but just to be there and be recognized by the fans after their long service to the team in St. Louis.. July 23 is pretty close to the start of camp, so that may keep those guys away. I think Jackson is still hoping to play in 2016, but if he's got nothing on the horizon at that time, he might show up. At least that's what I'm told.

Holt confirmed his participation on Monday. He had a long-standing trip planned to Europe, but has altered those plans and will attend the game.
----------
Is there any way I can entice to discuss the Rams' recent coaching changes? Is this Fisher: 1) giving his OCoordinator the coaching team that he wants; 2) giving up on the men he fired; 3) sincerely thinking the new coaches are just better; 4) looking for a scapegoat to save his job? If #3, what about them should make the skill players better?

For starters, Fisher normally is very loyal to his assistants. So it was surprising to five of them go at the end of the season, especially veteran wide receivers coach Ray Sherman. It also was odd to see the offensive coordinator (Cignetti) fired 12 games into the season. Very strange timing. These don't seem like Fisher moves, and you wonder if he was nudged from above.
-----------
Did you hear anything about the 2 coaches who were fired during the Seattle trip last year?

No comment.
-----------
Do Goff and Wentz seem to be that much better than Mannion seemed, coming out of college?

Well, they had better final seasons in college. (Even with Wentz's injury.) Mannion threw some interceptions and struggled a lot more during his final season in college. He didn't have a lot around him, and it looked like he forced some throws and got into some bad habits.
-----------
what do you think the Chiefs will do in the draft?

In our three Post-Dispatch mock drafts, I had them taking three different players: Ohio State CB Eli Apple in Mock 1; Eastern Kentucky DE/OLB Noah Spence in Mock 2, and then OLB Darron Lee in Mock 3, which was our final mock. The Soence and Lee picks were a reaction to Justin Houston's knee injury/surgery and the need for an outside edge presence in the rush. (Especially Spence, since Lee isn't really known as much as a pass-rush guy.)

Cornerback fills a need, and I could see them adding a wide receiver at some point to compliment Maclin. With Chase Daniel going to Philadelphia via free agency, they also need to find a bad QB as well.
-----------
your description of Mannion sounds a lot like Hackenberg's career - do you think Hackenberg will start in the NFL?

That's true, but even more pronounced in Hackenberg's case, because he had two sub par seasons following his '13 season. And I wonder if he has the accuracy to be an NFL starters. Completion percentages of 58.9%, 55.8%, and 53.5% at Penn State.
-----------
You lose 4 starters, 2 of which are absolute team leaders, and are moving Ogletree to MLB and talking about moving Joyner to FS, plus Quinn is coming off back surgery, and this is improvement? Is Bud Carson coming out of retirement to be DC?

We'll see. They have depth issues at linebacker and defensive tackle, so they better hope they are relatively clean on the injury front. In addition, we'll see how Barron does over a full 16-game season playing outside linebacker. There's no doubt he's a tough guy and a thumper, but can he hold up over a full season?

I do wonder about not having Laurinaitis and his ability to get the team in and out of alignments just before the snap. But I think Ogletree is a little underrated when it comes to being a student of the game, and will do fine there.
-------
Bradford wants out of Philly. Does Chase Daniel finally become a starter?

That could indeed happen, particularly if Wentz _ and I think most of us are assuming it's Wentz _ is not ready. I'd really like to see Daniel get a chance as a starter after all these years, even if it's just for a few games.
-----------
What's the market look like for Sam Bradford?

It looks like Denver is interested, and why wouldn't they be. They look pretty desperate at this point. I think San Francisco would make a lot of sense as well given the Chip Kelly connection. I'm saying this now not knowing the Denver and San Fran cap situations off the top of my head and how that might impact things.
----------
Do you think Foles would thrive in Denver? What do you think the odds are that we can trade Foles and what is the return on him.

Actually, I don't see Foles thriving anywhere at this point. He really needs to get his head together and his confidence back. I don't see much of a market. Maybe a seventh-rounder or a conditional sixth-rounder. Foles' contract with the Rams could be problematical.
-----------
I think with the Rams selecting Goff or Wentz, (preferably Wentz) that tells me they wasted last years 3rd round pick on Mannion. Hopefully they can trade either Mannion or Foles to get that draft pick back.

Again, it looks like it's Goff. But don't hold your breath waiting for the Rams to get a third-rounder for Mannion or Foles. And yes, moving up to No. 1 doesn't exactly speak highly for what they think of Mannion.
----------
Could you explain the Brady penalty reinstatement? So, the NFL pursued it in federal court? I think it would be such a joke if this went to the Supreme Court, as I am sure they would laugh, too.

Simply, the NFL won its appeal. Now it's up to Brady if he wants to appeal. I'm with you, and I think most people agree, just get this thing over. Maybe Brady and Goodell meet and cut the penalty in half _ two game _ and move on.
----------
So, what is your take on Thurman Thomas' condition related to head trauma? The more these high profile players lose their health the more the NFL has a problem, and not just a PR one.

I don't think there's any doubt about that. It doesn't seem like an issues that's going away. I think we saw a few more "early" retirements than usual this offseason. I'm curious to see if that becomes more of a trend in future offseason.
-----------
I can't see Brady, or the NFLPA, accepting a lesser penalty. He seems dug in on principle. Can't say I disagree with him, as the evidence clearly doesn't match the penalty, but I wonder if Belichick has any influence on his decision to further pursue the matter.

Yeah, I've thought of that, too, in terms of Brady's determination _ stubbornness? _ to see this through and clear his name. I'm sure he has the money to see this through in terms of legal expenses,, which much be considerable. I guess an appeal by Brady helps Belichick because it's my understanding there can be no penalty levied during the appeals process.
----------
By your estimation, who, if any, WR, TE or S likely available in the 4th round or later, is particularly intriguing.

At WR, Mike Thomas comes to mind. (The Mike Thomas from Southern Mississippi, not the Ohio State version). TCU's Kolby Listenbee and Clemson's Charone Peake should be there. At tight end maybe Ohio State's Nick Vannett is there, or Thomas Duarte of UCLA. I doubt Jerrell Adams of South Carolina is there.

Western Kentucky's Tyler Higbee could be there, but now he's got those off-field issues. At tree safety, Boise State's Darian Thompson would be a steal in Round 4, but I don't think he's there. More likely there in 4 would be West Virginia's K.J. Dillon.
-----------
What do you think of the raiders in Vegas?

I think the Raiders in Vegas has a real chance. I got that impression talking to Mark Davis at the owners' meetings last March. It didn't fit what I was writing (on Davis and St. Louis), but I did come away with that impression.
----------
Bradford demands a trade...since when do QBs who have never had one winning season think they can demand anything?

Hard to argue. I just heard a reply of agent Tom Condon interview on the topic while doing this chat. Condon argued that Bradford wants to go somewhere where he has a chance to be the long-term QB for the team. I don't think Bradford has earned that right to simply expect that or dictate that.
-----------
Predictions on what round the Mizzou draftees end up? Any others that may get a look as undrafted FA?

We ran a list of local/regional draft prospects in Tuesday's paper, but for some reason I don't think it made it on-line. But I see center Evan Boehm, offensive guard Connor McGovern, and linebacker Kentrell Brothers all as mid-round picks, going in the third_ to fifth-round area. I think Boehm and McGovern are more third_, fourth-rounders, and Brothers as more of a fourth_, fifth-rounder. I don't see any other Tiger getting drafted although I think CB Dennis, K Baggett, and RB Hansbrough get signed as rookie free agents.
-----------
no team carries 4 QBs, what do you see the Rams doing with the situation

Foles' days are numbered with the Rams.
----------
What do you think of mark Davis saying if las Vegas comes up with funding he will commit to moving there? Do you think ythe gambling issue could stop it?

Doesn't seem like the NFL, judging from Goodell's comments on the topic over the last few months _ is concerned about the gambling issue any more. They see big dollars, corporate sponsors, sold-out luxury suites. . . .more money, money, money in Vegas.
------------
I have to say that I am apathetic to the upcoming draft these days. Last year, I was reviewing mock draft sites in anticipation of how Snead, Fisher and the Rams were finally going to make the right choices and make the playoffs. This year, I have not looked at a single mock draft outside of yours. It is kind of depressing. However, now that I have lost that loving feeling for the Rams, I am taking solace in the fact that their draft philosophy is backwards and they will forever be stuck in mediocrity.

It seems that if there philosophy in building a team is from the inside-out, why did they wait until last year to finally draft on offensive line, which individuals will need a lot of seasoning, and this year to finally draft a supposed franchise QB? O-line, D-line and QB's, if they are worthy of a starting caliber career, can play for 8-12 years. After you have built the foundation of your team, you can take flyers on players with great measurables to put your team over the top. The Rams drafted in the complete opposite direction it seems to me. Am I close?

I don't know. It just seems like their draft timing seems to be off. For example, the years they have taken WRs weren't great years to take WRs. Some of the years they've passed on WRs turned out to be very good years to take WRs. I think you could make the same argument at QB. At face value, wouldn't you rather trade up for Winston or Mariota than Goff or Wentz? We'll see.
-----------
Do you really think a franchise in London is viable? I mean, they would be playing with jet lag for half their games. I think it is a bit arrogant of the NFL to think they can appeal internationally in a sustainable way.

I've said all along that I just can't see how logistically the NFL could make a team in London work. Although the NFL by all accounts is gaining popularity in the UK, when I was there for the Rams-Patriots game in 2012 it ranked behind darts in terms of popularity.
---------
Who do you think is the best overall prospect in this draft?

My medal stand in no particular order, Jalen Ramsey, Laremy Tunsil, and Ezekiel Elliott. Not including Myles Jack because of the knee issue.
----------
Does Philadelphia have a plan? Bradford, Daniel, Wentz ... it seems like three different decision makers are each taking a turn at the wheel.

Apparently not. I understand why Bradford looks bad in all this _ asking for a trade, etc. But what's with the Eagles? They give Bradford an $11 million signing bonus. Give Chase Daniel $6 million in signing bonus and roster bonus. Then use all those draft picks to trade up for a QB?
----------
If you were the Broncos, whom would you go with: Mark Sanchez, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Colin Kaepernick, or Paxton Lynch?

For short-term, I'd say Fitzpatrick. But if they could somehow get Lynch _ and I can't see that happening minus a trade-up _ I could see going with Sanchez this year and then Lynch.
----------
The Rams are going to need to be creative to add some players, is that WR from Jacksonville totally out of football. Blackmon maybe?

I sure liked him coming out. But I don't think he's played in the league since 2013 because of those substance abuse issues. Can't see it happening for that reason.
----------
Tre Mason have any trade value?

Minimal, especially with possible league discipline on the horizon.
----------
Are the Rams going to draft a Center in this draft that they can groom for the future? If they intend to have Rhaney as a starter, I think Gurley will have a short career. I like Rhaney's athleticism, but he does not have the strength IMO. He looked like he was tossed like a rag doll in limited action last year. Is Boehm a possibility?

Well, they had a formal interview with center Evan Boehm of Missouri at the combine, and he could be there in the fourth round.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
I do not know what "Snarky" means. There as always some good stuff in the entire post. Worth a read as always.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Good job cutting out the bs. Actually could read all the way through and enjoy it a bit. Thanks man.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Can't say I disagree with him, as the evidence clearly doesn't match the penalty, but I wonder if Belichick has any influence on his decision to further pursue the matter.

He was punished for the coverup, not the crime, as I recall.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I do not know what "Snarky" means.

You asked this question "Define snarky" and I answered it in the Jim Thomas Poll thread. I'll answer it again. "(of a person, words, or a mood) sharply critical; cutting; snide, cranky; irritable, sarcastic."

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
I'm just too fuckin stoned to read all the way through. Phantom is one amazing strain and it defies sneaking up on (you). :yay:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If you were the Rams GM would you pick Goff or Wentz?

Myself, I like Wentz better. He's bigger, more athletic, stronger arm. But obviously, he's got a lot less experience than Goff (23 starts) and played at a lower level. All signs pointing to Goff.
One of the few things I can agree with JT on, in a long time!!

Could you explain the Brady penalty reinstatement? So, the NFL pursued it in federal court? I think it would be such a joke if this went to the Supreme Court, as I am sure they would laugh, too.

Simply, the NFL won its appeal. Now it's up to Brady if he wants to appeal. I'm with you, and I think most people agree, just get this thing over. Maybe Brady and Goodell meet and cut the penalty in half _ two game _ and move on.
After all the expense the NFL has gone through I doubt Goodell would be willing to consider this!!

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I wanted covverage of this continued but after reading last week and this, I believe I'll pass it by from now on...He's just become too angry and anti almost everything Rams for me...He seems to have never gotten over his real or perceived slight by Fisher...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Uh oh JT likes Wentz over Goff. That guarantees that Wentz will be a bust.

Why did someone ask JT about Hackenberg? I didn't realize he covered the Big Ten too. I doubt he ever saw him play.

I agree that Elliott is one of he better athletes in this draft but All of this talk about Ezekiel Elliott being a top five pick is just nuts. He is a good running back but he is not a great runner. Gurley didn't even go till pick ten. So many people think Dallas should take him. With their OLine they could get a good enough back in round 3. Some say Miami will trade up for him. I think he would be there at their pick and if they don't take him he will go in the late teens or later.