NFL chat with Jim Thomas: 3/8/16

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are selected questions and answers only. Lots of either repetitive or dumb questions so this is an abbreviated chat. To read the whole chat click the link below.
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/NFL_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_8?Page=0

NFL chat with Jim Thomas

Have you heard if the Rams have lined up visits from any free agent QBs or WRs?

I have not.
------------
It looks like the Los Angeles Rams are going to pickup with Tre Mason right where they left off with Darryl Henley!

I don't think what Mason is accused of is even close to what jailed Darryl Henley more than 20 years ago.
------------
I understand that the Rams can sign any players from other teams during the legal tampering period. Can they sign their own free agents during this time, though?

The Rams can sign any of their own free agents at any time - as they could all during the 2015 season and every day since the season ended. They can also sign players who were cut from other teams at any time. As for other teams' unrestricted free agents, they can agree to terms with them now that the so-called "legal tampering" has begun _ as of 11 a.m. central time on Monday. But they can't actually sign unrestricted free agents until Weds. 3 p.m. central.
------------
why are the Rams waiting to resign thier FA's and RFA's?

I am curious how the Rams have gotten nothing done with their own free agents. With how much cap room they have, is there any talk of making a huge splash with a big name first and then dealing with their own when they see what is left? If so, who might they target?

I'm very surprised they haven't re-signed anybody. I was surprised that they didn't re-sign anyone (except Foles) before the start of the 2015 season, and I was surprised they didn't re-sign anyone during the 2015 season.

It looks like Osweilerr and Fitzpatrick are going to hit the market at this time. Obviously, RGIII is now on the market. If there's an early splash, I think it might be in that area, although there have been no indications at this point that the Rams are even in the picture on any of these guys.
------------
Now that Peyton has retired, do you have a Mt. Rushmore of quarterbacks?

In no particular order, Johnny Unitas, Joe Montana, John Elway, Peyton Manning. W/Tom Brady in the on-deck circle.
--------------
Given the relative weakness of QB and WR in the draft versus this draft's reported historic strength of the DLine, would you be surprised if the Rams used their 15th overall pick on a Dlineman?

It wouldn't surprise me at all, especially if they lost some combination of Hayes, Sims, and Fairley.
--------------
I'm very frustrated reading all these FA and the place they will land" articles. Rams NEVER seem to be mentioned with possible great players....why? I would love to see Mack line up at Center....PAY anything, and place Kap or RG III behind him...

Patience my friend. Free agency hasn't even officially started. You remind me of Mike Martz back in 2002 at the NFL Scouting Combine telling me he was tired of waiting on London Fletcher. I reminded the coach it was only Day 1 of free agency. (Free agency started earlier back then.)
--------------
Jim, any plans for you to go to some Rams home games? If so ware a St. Louis Rams hat or shirt.

I think our plans are to cover the home opener in LA. But I won't be wearing any StL Rams gear. I did once wear a St. Louis Stalllions sweatshirt at a Rams-Jaguars game, in honor of the failed local effort to get an expansion team that became the Jaguars.
-----------
Would you be ok with this opening day line up? LT G-rob LG Brown C Barnes RG Wichman RT Havenstein And Saffold is cut

I would be OK with it. I think the group has potential, although they will suffer more growing pains because it's still a young group. But I don't think Saffold gets cut. We'll know soon enough on him because his base salary for 2016 ($4.5 million) is guaranteed if he's still on the roster by the third day of the league year.
---------
...but what do you think of acquiring Mack, center from Cleveland?

He won't come cheaply. Did you see the money Osemele reportedly is getting (5 years/$60 million) from Raiders? Even Incognito got more than $5 million a year to re-sign w/Buffalo. But Mack is an LA native. Played his college ball in the state. That could be a draw. Unlike some others, I don't think Barnes necessarily was a problem. He was pretty solid over the second half of the season.
----------
Hi Jim, rate in order you think the best-to-worst chances player is back with Rams: Baron, McLeod, Hayes, Cunningham, Jenkins, Fairley. Thanks and btw, are you still making the trip out to Rams park until the shut it down end of the month?

Here's how I handicap it. . . 1.) Cunningham (he will be tendered as an RFA); 2.) Hayes (very loyal to FIsher); 3.) Barron (a great fit, starting LB job is his); 4.) McLeod (I think his asking price is high); 5.) Jenkins (will go to highest bidder); 6.) Fairley (will get starter's money somewhere). I'm sitting at my desk at Rams Park right now. Are you on Twitter. If you are I'll tweet out a picture from Rams Park media room. #ghosttown
----------
Isn't NFL free agency overrated? It seems like every year teams like the Dolphins "win" this period by giving out massive contracts to B+ players, while teams like the Patriots and Packers, the consistent winners, build their teams through the draft, and only use free agency for complimentary players. The best players get re-signed by their teams before they hit the market.

There's no doubt that the team's that win the March "Lombardi Trophy" very rarely compete for the real thing that season. You can also think of Washington of years past _ that club used to make the big splash almost every year and then did little in the regular season. I think the first question that must be resolved when a player hits the market as a free agent would be: If he's so good, why is his current team letting him on the market? But I still think adding 2 or 3 starters for a team via free agency isn't necessarily a bad thing.
---------
Have you ever thought about how things would have turned out differently, if the Rams had kept Fitzpatrick? With all his limitations, he has been better than most of the qb's the Rams have had since then, with the possible exception of that game when Bradford was healthy.

I get your point. Fitz does throw some INTs, but he's a fun guy to watch. I think the Rams would've won a few more games had they kept Fitz, but it's not as if keeping him around would've changed the franchise.
---------
Will you be paying closer attention to teams like the Chiefs (God forbid), Bears, Colts, Titans, or other geographically close teams that people in the region may adopt now that there's no nfl franchise in St. Louis?

I believe that's the plan. Why the "God forbid" on Chiefs? I think we need to run a poll some time during training camp time to see what fans want to read about in the P-D regarding specific NFL teams.
----------
Why does this paper continue to cover this mess of a team?

Let me ask you this: If that's how you feel, why are you participating in this chat? But I will add this: We're spending some time on Rams coverage, but certainly not to the extent we would if they were still St. Louis-based. For every text, Twitter notification, e-mail, or chat question I get questioning Rams coverage, I get about 3 or 4 stating they still want Rams coverage.

Some are even wondering why we haven't had more Rams coverage. I think as long as there is a St. Louis connection to the team (in terms of players on the team who played in St. Louis) this will be the case to a degree. But I think you can see just by our Combine coverage and free agency coverage to date, we've broadened our scope considerably.
----------
I'm curious as to how the Rams handle their OTA's in regards to the public. Are they open sometimes?

I've never heard of an OTA practice being open. Not one was open during the Rams' time in St. Louis. Maybe they make an exception or two for this first season in LA.
---------
Can you give us a good rumor? Awful quite for the Rams so far

There is a large moving van in the parking lot at Rams Park.
-----------
With TO jumping over Bruce and Holt for the HOF and more receivers with numbers coming do you believe Bruce and Holt get in any time soon??

I think there may be some momentum for Bruce in the next year or two.
-----------
Is Quick done for with the Rams? What in your mind are his shortcomings?

The only way I see him returning is for a very modest contract. Les Snead said at the combine that the team would like to have him back. Then again, coaches and GMs usually say they want everybody back.
----------
I see that JPP is getting $10M for another year with the Giants. How do you feel about that deal?

Interesting that it's just a one-year deal. I wonder if that $10 million includes incentives or is straight base salary and signing (or roster) bonus.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I see all this mention of Barron being th le starting LB. I think he will look to get a starting safety job over being a LB. Hrs said multiple times he considers himself a safety first.

Of course money is always priority #1. So if the offer fits.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I see all this mention of Barron being th le starting LB. I think he will look to get a starting safety job over being a LB. Hrs said multiple times he considers himself a safety first.

Of course money is always priority #1. So if the offer fits.

Maybe; but where has he had success in the NFL?

Linebacker

RaminExile

Hall of Fame

Linebacker

I actually thought he played really well at safety on a terrible Tampa defense. Was surprised they let him go and he's just done what I thought roaming around the field in the big Nickel or at linebacker. Either way I think we need to pay him and get him locked up...

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
When are we going to drop Jim Thomas ? after the league year ? The guy just doesn't seen to give a crap. imo

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

Linebacker

Yea, he played well in our dime package. But he still sees himself as a safety. There was an interview during the past season that he said such. I'd look for it but I'm on mobile.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yea, he played well in our dime package. But he still sees himself as a safety. There was an interview during the past season that he said such. I'd look for it but I'm on mobile.

I remember a recent interview where he said, "I'm a football player" After being asked about the LBer shuffle on the Rams.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am glad still does these Q & A's...There is no one as knowledgable about the team, that does anything like this in LA. I think the quality of sports guys will be much higher in LA, but they are pretty ignorant about the Rams right now. I fave favorited the Orange Couny Register Rams page, but there is seemingly nothing there that I havn't read already, or is just general boring information..jmho.