NFL chat with Jim Thomas: 2/16/16

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are selected questions and answers only. To read the whole chat click the link below.
********************************************************************************
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/NFL_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_5?Page=0

NFL chat with Jim Thomas

I have long thought that Coach Fisher should be given a two-year extension to complete his makeover of the team and get them on track in their new stadium. Any thoughts or rumors on that?

There are rumors of an extension, but at this point they are just that. You would think that after 4 straight losing seasons, Fisher would be on the hot seat this season. But these are unusual circumstances.
----------
I have seen different reports on how much money the Rams have to spend and how much they could save by cutting Long, Saffold, and Cook...some show more than others...what are the real numbers?

The last time I checked the Rams had $115 million committed against the cap for 2016, w/the cap expected to be at about $155 million. But I don't think those figures reflect the $6 million in unspent cap money from 2015 that can be carried over. So I think when all is said and done the Rams will be approaching $50 million in cap space _ far more than they've had at any point during their time in St. Louis. And enough to sign or re-sign whoever they want without cutting Long, Saffold, and Cook.

But since you've asked, Long counts $14.25 million against the cap in 2016. Releasing him outright would save 9.75 million. Cook counts $8.3 million against the cap; releasing him saves $6 million. Saffold is a little bit more of a push and his contract is more complicated. He counts $6 million against the cap in '16, and releasing him I believe saves $2.5 million.
------------
What do you think will happen to the St. Louis PSL holders?

I'm not an attorney, so I don't know the validity of their case. I think it's safe to say that this suit will take a while to be resolved. Sometimes these things take a couple of years.
---------
We saw how revamping the OL last year effected the record, as well as lack of a talented QB, WR's, etc. Seems to me there are a lot of holes to fill. The LA fans experience may not go well. Your take?

I do think the Rams are close to getting over the top. Have I said this before? They were close last year, and with merely solid QB play might have squeezed out a wild-card berth. But they still need a quarterback. And could lose a several of their own players in free agency.
----------
Dont you think signing RG3 is something that Snead and Fisher would enjoy, especially with their desire to always be the smartest in the room.

I don't know about the smartest in the room thing. But why not at least look into it? It's hard to sit here and say that RGIII would be the answer to the Rams' QB woes however. He's yet to prove he can be an effective pocket passer in this league.
----------
Zuerlein seems to be regressing and I have always said he is worse on natural grass. I think he is done. And for a guy with such a huge leg why is it not a touchback everytime with him?

I think part of the issue last year in terms of touchbacks was the groin issue over the second half of the season. That took some of the steam out of his kickoffs. A lot of kickers who play their home games on turf, aren't as effective on grass, so I think that's a valid point. In fairness, you've got to look at the fact that he also had most of his misses last year from 50 yards plus.

But overall, he has yet to fulfill the great promise he showed at the start of his rookie year. Fisher let it be known at his season-ending press conference that he plans to have competition for Zuerlein in camp this year. And since he's scheduled for free agency, there's no guarantee that Zuerlein will even be back for training camp.
----------
Any news on the football side of things? Or are Fisher/Snead resting on their "laurels?"

This usually is a pretty quiet time of the year, particularly if you're a team that does not have a new head coach. Saying all that, I would have thought the Rams would've signed a free agent or two of their own by now.
-----------
The NFL owners voted 30-2 to let $ilent $tan to move to LA. Has it ever been established who the 2 dissenters were. The obvious guess is Spanos and Davis.

Never been established. I'm told the league literally had an AFC owner and an NFC owner count the ballots in his respective conference. And that the individual ballots (which were on paper) weren't marked. Such as, Bidwill, Arizona _ no; Jones, Dallas, yes: etc. It makes all the sense in the world that Spanos and Davis would be the two "no" votes. But you never know, maybe Carolina's Jerry Richardson voted no.
-----------
Jim, why have we not heard from the stadium task force? With all the reports coming out they were lied to and encouraged to spend millions of dollars when St. Louis never had a chance to keep the team. It seems to me the NFL or the Rams should payback that money and even consider paying off the Dome.

Dave Peacock did a conference call on the night of the vote in Houston. He also talked to our David Hunn for a story we collaborated on which dealt with what went wrong with the St. Louis effort. That story ran about 10 days after the vote.

Peacock has also since commented, albeit briefly, on the potential for a Major League Soccer team in St. Louis. I get the feeling that the task force may be considering their legal options, but until some kind of suit is filed there isn't really anything the task force can say about it, is there?
----------
Do you have any exit interviews lined up with anybody? Kroenke, Demoff, Snead, Fisher, any of the coaches or players? Maybe ask why there is a discrepancy between his statement about how Kroenke wasn't looking to build a stadium in Inglewood when he first saw the plot and his memorable conversation with Kroenke while standing at his window?

Fisher and Snead are expected to talk at the NFL Scouting Combine which I will be attending. don't think Demoff will be saying much to the St. Louis market from here on out. He declined to comment, for example, on a story I did during Super Bowl week on what's happening with Rams Park employees. As for Kroenke, don't think he'll be doing any interviews with the St. Louis media. He's done with us.
----------
Have you talked to any of the longtime employees who moved with the team to St. Louis about their thoughts about going back to LA? Jim Lake for example?

I have talked to several of them on background. None want to talk on the record because of they must sign non-disclosure clauses as well as an agreement not to make any disparaging remarks _ they must do this in order to get their severance packages.
----------
We are hearing a lot of speculation regarding what the Rams will do at QB. Kap, other FAs, draft? Can you share any insight?

No real insight for you in terms of what the Rams are thinking. I do find it hard to believe that Foles will be back in 2016. And if the Rams truly think Mannion has a future, why draft another QB? So to me, logic says that the Rams do all they can to find the best veteran QB on the market to sign during free agency (or perhaps even via trade).

That doesn't mean you don't explore all QB options in preparation for the draft. But free agency will have played out well before the draft. And if you're unable to land a veteran during free agency, then maybe you consider drafting a QB.
----------
Who was your favorite 1) Rams player, 2) head coach and 3) assistant coach to interview over the years -- and why?

1.) Isaac Bruce _ for what he represented to the franchise and to St. Louis. 2.) Mike Martz _ he always gave you something to work with. He took the time to get to know the media. 3.) Tough one here. But I'd have to go w/Rick Venturi. I still talk to him a few times a year, and always learn something about football when I do.
----------
I totally Understand St Louis Rams fans bitterness. I went through it when I was 17 when Georgia took the LA Rams away from me. Now that being said as hard as it was I continued to root for the Rams. I have known Rams fans that have stuck with the team through the relocation do you think that St Louis rams fans will still connect with the team or most of them have had enough?

That's an interesting question. I think some fans who are mad will come back once the next seasons rolls around, particularly while they can still identify with the players they watched in St. Louis _ you know, Long, Laurinaitis, Gurley, Quinn, Donald, etc. But I think some were so turned off by the way the league handled this that they will turn their attention elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, I have high regard for the LA Rams fans that stuck with the team throughout these years. They are a model of loyalty.

But you have to keep in mind there are a couple of major differences between the Rams moving to St. Louis and the Rams moving back to LA: 1.) St. Louis had a viable stadium, LA did not in '95. And 2.0 Many Rams fans in St. Louis believe the league steered the Rams back to LA. That certainly wasn't the case in '95, when the league tried to block the move.
------------
Do you have any faith that the Rams GM can put a winning product on the field based on the recent STL experience?

If it was going to happen, I would've thought 2015 was going to be the breakout year. But it's hard to win consistently in this league without good quarterback play. And I don't know if you blame that on Snead, Fisher, or the fact that the Rams have an absentee owner who has never stated that winning championships is the reason he's in the sports franchise business.
---------
A couple of observations...first, isn't it unusual for a coach to go into the last year of his contract without an extension?

Second, the Rams drafted Mannion with what used to be called a "premium pick." Yet, all the draftniks predict the team will take a QB at number one. Would Fisher really go into what is a make or break contract year with a rookie, unproven QB? I would think he would find a bridge QB in FA...Ryan Fitzpatrick has made a career out of that...

I don't think it's the first time an NFL coach enters a lame duck year. I don't think it necessarily has a lot of impact on personnel acquisition. Sure some free agents go to a particular team because of a coach, but I think we all know that money almost always is the deciding factor. As for the QB situation, I agree w/your general thoughts.

To me a veteran QB makes the most sense. But if you're unable to land a viable veteran - you know, someone who legitimately can compete for a starting job _ then I think you have to look to the draft.
----------
Jim, what is your vision of the NFL 20 years from now in light of the concussion issue, the number of bad characters masquerading as players and an obvious disagreement among owners pitting new money owners vs. the old guard old money owners and a total lack of leadership from a commissioner who appears lost yet headed nowhere except to collect a large paycheck. Do you think the LA issue and the way it was handled will net some sort of government involvement on the federal level?

TV ratings would have to decline much more than they did for this year's Super Bowl for the game to be in any real trouble down the road. There are "bad characters" in the league, and their missteps usually receive a lot of publicity, but I think the arrest rate for NFL players is much lower than for society as a whole. Now, if youth and high school participation in football starts to plummet because of concussion/injury concerns, we could have an issue. But right now, I don't see that happening.
----------
GROB a better guard or L Tackle in your mind?

I'm not ready to move him over to left guard just yet. He's better when he has a veteran at left guard to help him out on game days. I'd like to see him at LT for another year and see what happens. He played better down the stretch in 2015.
----------
With Keenum starting, the LA Rams win ____ games in 2016.

Seven. (There's that number again.)
---------
Have you seen enough of Manion in practices etc to have an opinion of whether he can become an NFL caliber starting QB in a year or 2? Or, would you be tempted to take 1 of the top 3 QB's in the upcoming draft, if one falls to the Rams?

Haven't really seen enough of Mannion. He has a strong arm _ the strongest among the QBs last season. But the game still needs to slow down for him, which isn't unusual for young inexperienced QBs. Again, I'd look for the best veteran I could get before I go shopping for one in the draft.
----------
I was wondering if there's been any movement on the Rams re-signing any of their FA's? I heard that they might put the transition tag on Tru, is there any truth to that and what would that entail if so?

It's eerily quiet on the free agent front. Again, I would've expected 1 or 2 pending free agents to have been re-signed by now. Usually, the closer you get to the start of free agency, the more likely the player is to test the market. And we're less than a month away from the start of the free agency period.

As for the transition tag on Trumaine Johnson, yes, I've heard that. In fact, I'm the one who originally mentioned that possibility _ on one of these chats _ based on what someone told me at Rams Park.
----------
I'm not sure if he will be physically ready at the start of next year, but is Stedman Bailey under the Ram's control for the upcoming year? And, do you think Marquez is fairly similar to Bailey, without (hopefully) the off-the-field issues? I really liked what I saw from him in limited action.

Yes, Bailey is still under contract w/the Rams. (He becomes a free agent after the 2016 season. I'm not sure if Marquez is all that similar to Bailey. For example, I see Marquez as strictly a slot receiver. But his development last year was impressive and I don't think he's approached his ceiling yet.
-----------
As far as free-agent QBs expected to be available, who would excite you the most if the Ram's could sign them? Either as a short-term or long-term answer at QB.

Well, I'm not sure if any of these guys will hit the market, but I'd say 1.) Fitzpatrick; 2.) Cousins; 3.) Osweiler; 4.) Daniel.
----------
Part II: With FA Ryan Fitzpatrik at the helm, the LA Rams win ____ games in 2016.

Nine games.
---------
Curious, I noticed that LA fans are still using this forum. I would thinks LA would have their own Chat Room by now.

The chat has always been open to all Rams fans, whether they reside in St. Louis, LA, or wherever.
---------
In regards to the relocation process and the fact that it has really become clear that the fix was in and that St. Louis was never going to have a chance at keeping the Rams. Do you think that St. Louis will ever be considered for a team in the future through expansion? Do you think that St. Louis will ever again have the willingness to work with the NFL if an opportunity were to ever come up?

With how we were treated throughout this process, it seems there would be owners who would be looking to make things right in the future. What do you think?

The NFL doesn't seem to have any appetite for expansion at this point, I guess for the simple reason that it would complicate the division format and slice the TV dollars into two more slices. If nothing else, I think the league views St. Louis as a city that can be used as leverage to help other cities build new stadiums.

I realize the anger, frustration, and even bitterness, by local, regional, and state leaders over the entire process, but I think you never say never to something like an NFL franchise. As for owners looking to make things right in the future, I just don't think what happened in St. Louis is something that bothers enough owners in the NFL at this point.
----------
Do you expect any lingering issues with Todd Gurley's foot/toe into next season?

Don't think so. It's turf toe, as you may know, and the best thing to do with turf toe is rest. And he will have had plenty of time to rest the toe before the start of the offseason conditioning program in April.
----------
Maybe you couldn't say before and now are more free to - do you see any difference in the standard operating procedures in the approach Rams front office is taking to signing their own free agents this year versus other years? I can remember cap issues in prior years handcuffing them but this year it just seems to be a choice to wait. For a move? OK, that happened a month ago, still no signings?

Well, they've never had as many starters and top quality reserves with expiring contracts as they do this year. This is partly the result of having all those extra picks from the RGIII and spinoff trades _ i.e. a matter of volume. I'm sure the move distracted the Rams front office from getting some of these contracts done, and I'm sure the logistics of setting up shop in LA is taking a lot of time and energy as well.
----------
I have two questions regarding the Rams. (1) If you had to use a franchise or transition tag for 2016, which player would you use it on? (2) If you had to acquire a veteran quarterback via trade for 2016, who would you acquire?

1.) I think it would be on one of the two cornerbacks _ Jenkins or Johnson. And as I've mentioned, the Rams have at least discussed using the transition tag on Johnson. I've mentioned the veteran free agent QBs earlier in the chat are currently are scheduled for UFA status _ Fitzpatrick, Cousins, Osweiler, Daniel. (Bradford is up as well, but can't see that happening again w/the Rams.) I really don't see a Cutler, Stafford, Brees being available via trade. And if Peyton Manning returns, which I think is very doubtful, I can't see him agreeing to join the Rams. That brings us back to players such as Kaepernick, perhaps RGIII.
----------
After seeing Havenstein for just one year, do you feel like he was a pretty good pick in the draft where we picked him? I know there was a little concern originally, if the Rams over-reached for him.

I think he can be a good, solid right tackle in this league. Still needs work on pass-blocking and staying low. But I think he has potential.
----------
No question Mike Martz was a bit eccentric. That said, he knew football and football talent. I have always wondered, since the GSOT years, how many championships were forgone without him?

You could see the talent level deteriorating on the roster, as the team suffered more and more free-agent losses, and the nucleus of the Greatest Show (in terms of skill players) started to age. I thought some of his best coaching jobs came near the end of his tenure _ that 2003 team that went 12-4, the last NFC West title team; and squeezing a wild-card season (and a playoff win) out of that 2004 squad that finished 8-8.
----------
Pre-season games are generally disliked by most ticket holders because of the cost, would the NFL ever consider putting pre-season games in a neutral city?

There have been a few preseason games played in neutral cities in the past, but it's pretty rare. I think the old St. Louis Cardinals played in Memphis. You may also remember that for a while, an NFL game or two every preseason was played in foreign countries. But if you're a head coach trying to get your team through training camp and ready for the regular season, I don't think you relish the prospect of playing an additional road game.
----------
Jim- wasn't Goodell's statements about St. Louis being a potential NFL town just sheer chutzpah given that St. Louis WAS an NFL then until the NFL decided you weren't worthy? Same for Grubman's "insult". Given how he deliberately and with malice aforethought tried to sabotage your Aldemen's vote with his sudden visit to Bernie?

The NFL never says never. At the end of the day, as a reader suggested to me, I think the NFL simply viewed losing a team in St. Louis as "acceptable collateral damage" to having the NFL return to LA in a showcase stadium. And if you read my story off the Goodell Super Bowl press conference, my opening line showed what I felt about his comments: "Don't hold your breath on this one. . . ."

As for the Grubman story, I just presented his thoughts as they were. Make of them what you will. But realize, it's one thing to say Grubman helped steer the Rams to LA, it's another to say he did so with the promise of a high-ranking job at the end of the day. I think that's why Grubman was "insulted."
----------
What do you think happens to the Raiders? They certainly were the ugly stepsister in the whole relocation dance. NFL doesn't seem keen on them in LA or Las Vegas. Texas teams won't let him into San Antonio. I have to think if the team owner was anybody else but Mark Davis they would've have jumped at the STL stadium deal?

Well, if the Chargers decide to stay in San Diego, the Raiders already have an agreement w/the league to move to LA in 2017. But I don't think the Chargers stay in San Diego I think they somewhat reluctantly move to LA, and in that case, the Raiders basically are out of luck. Because I don't see them 1.) Getting a stadium built in Oakland; 2.) Moving in w/the 49ers in Santa Clara; 3.) Moving to San Antonio (not w/Jones and McNair around); 4.) Moving to Las Vegas; 5.) Getting a stadium built in San Diego.
----------
Jim, how hard is it to keep an objective approach to covering the Rams while you move to general NFL coverage? You seem to be one of the few journalists that contains (hides) your anger at the organization.

You're trained as a journalist in objectivity. I did so during some even wilder times covering Missouri basketball in the late '80s and early '90s _ when some at Mizzou tried to make the situation personal. So it's no big deal doing so now.

Now that doesn't mean you don't try to write honestly and call it bull when it obviously is just that _ such as Stan Kroenke's training camp pep rally in Oxnard. Or when the head coach lies to you about a QB trade. But you never take it personally and you just keep doing your job.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Do you have any faith that the Rams GM can put a winning product on the field based on the recent STL experience?

If it was going to happen, I would've thought 2015 was going to be the breakout year. But it's hard to win consistently in this league without good quarterback play. And I don't know if you blame that on Snead, Fisher, or the fact that the Rams have an absentee owner who has never stated that winning championships is the reason he's in the sports franchise business.

If Bradford had panned out to be the QB that everyone expected then the Rams would have had a playoff game last year or even the year before. People so bend on holding Fisher accountable, and I felt that the first sign of trouble he should have taken Bortles while the opportunity was there but, I am sure he was thinking back to how well Bradford was playing the year he got injured. He was playing his best football then. So, Fisher had too much faith/hope. If Bradford bounces back everyone is loving him and wanting him to stay.

Again, I'd look for the best veteran I could get before I go shopping for one in the draft.

JT spews this crap like it there is a good chance of it happening. Come on. Who really will be available? Fitzpatrick had his best season last year with the Jets and they reportedly want to keep him....and he wants to stay. Short of a total implosion with the Skins/Cousins contract, I don't see them allowing him to walk. So who does that leave? Chase Daniel? Some may believe he is better than Keenum but does Fisher and Snead know enough about his play to be convinced not to draft a QB if they sign him? That is a big gamble IMO.

The Rams need to get a Qb to build around. I fear they will talk themselves out of that notion, when they hear trade demands. They could fill some key holes with those first 4 picks, but eventually they just have to bite the bullet, or have lightning strike a la Kurt Warner. Can't count on that.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
JT spews this crap like it there is a good chance of it happening. Come on. Who really will be available? Fitzpatrick had his best season last year with the Jets and they reportedly want to keep him....and he wants to stay. Short of a total implosion with the Skins/Cousins contract, I don't see them allowing him to walk. So who does that leave? Chase Daniel? Some may believe he is better than Keenum but does Fisher and Snead know enough about his play to be convinced not to draft a QB if they sign him? That is a big gamble IMO.

The Rams need to get a Qb to build around. I fear they will talk themselves out of that notion, when they hear trade demands. They could fill some key holes with those first 4 picks, but eventually they just have to bite the bullet, or have lightning strike a la Kurt Warner. Can't count on that.

Agreed on them not being able to get a QB in free agency much better than they have now. My guess is they will not draft a QB at all and go with Keenum and Mannion as the backup and maybe pick up RGIII or some other scrub.

Wide receiver and bulking up the O-line some more will probably should be the focus in the first couple of rounds if they don't pick a QB. Of course with Snead calling the shots, no one should be surprised if they go in an entirely different direction.

There's also one wild card: being their first year in LA and having lots of money to spend on free agents, I get the feeling they might splurge on a big name or two to get the fanbase excited. Who that would be is anyone's guess.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Wide receiver and bulking up the O-line some more will probably should be the focus in the first couple of rounds if they don't pick a QB. Of course with Snead calling the shots, no one should be surprised if they go in an entirely different direction.

Oline? Maybe Center, but I think that is the only likely Oline spot they would draft right now. I guess if they were really impressed with Whitehair, like they were with Zach Martin, but otherwise they have Oline pieces that seem like they can get the job done. I think DE, MLB, WR, TE would have to be targets if they don't draft a QB.

In reference to your Free Agency suggestion, I think they would target any of the above positions. Cut Long and get a rotational DE. TE's can usually be found in FA too. A middle of the pack receiver with potential like Marvin Jones maybe. However, with the cap expanding most teams will be able to afford to keep their better players if they so choose.

Ram65

Legend

Cutler could be a possible trade option. I looked at the numbers and cap wise the Bears could trade him with 3 Million dead money IIRC. Don't shoot me but Bradford could be signed albeit he wants too much money. The only other option outside of the current Rams QB group would be the draft. Rams are in a good position to trade picks now if they feel the QB of the future is in the first round of the draft.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Cutler could be a possible trade option. I looked at the numbers and cap wise the Bears could trade him with 3 Million dead money IIRC. Don't shoot me but Bradford could be signed albeit he wants too much money. The only other option outside of the current Rams QB group would be the draft. Rams are in a good position to trade picks now if they feel the QB of the future is in the first round of the draft.

I would have taken Cutler last year or the year before that. He is capable, can make all the throws, and would do well in an offense that is designed to run more. But why would the Bears want to trade him? He seems happy with FoxandChicago has weapons. Do they have their future QB already on the roster?

The only way Snead and Fisher were going to trade Bradford was if they received a starter back. It seemed wise at first, but unless the Bears make a deal with a team to move and get a specific QB in the draft trading Cuer won't help them.

fearsomefour

Legend
Agreed on them not being able to get a QB in free agency much better than they have now. My guess is they will not draft a QB at all and go with Keenum and Mannion as the backup and maybe pick up RGIII or some other scrub.

There's also one wild card: being their first year in LA and having lots of money to spend on free agents, I get the feeling they might splurge on a big name or two to get the fanbase excited. Who that would be is anyone's guess.
I think they are drafting at least one WR, a TE, a DT and DE given the high possibility of losing depth through FA ect. It would not surprise me at all if they do not draft a QB.

Ram65

Legend
I would have taken Cutler last year or the year before that. He is capable, can make all the throws, and would do well in an offense that is designed to run more. But why would the Bears want to trade him? He seems happy with FoxandChicago has weapons. Do they have their future QB already on the roster?

The only way Snead and Fisher were going to trade Bradford was if they received a starter back. It seemed wise at first, but unless the Bears make a deal with a team to move and get a specific QB in the draft trading Cuer won't help them.

Yes I don't see the Bears trading Cutler. I just threw it out there as I have seen it mentioned on some posts. Now, if they don't resign Jeffery that could make Cutler want out. I think it's safe they keep both.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I sure hope, now that the Teams is moving to L.A. We can get a Good "Beat-Writer" Who is a Rams Fan, and Loves his work!!

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I think they are drafting at least one WR, a TE, a DT and DE given the high possibility of losing depth through FA ect. It would not surprise me at all if they do not draft a QB.

and MLB
I agree with you fully someone other than that so-called premium QB is gonna fall into our laps at #15
It's gonna be glorious draft
WR, DE, MLB, CB, CB, DL

fearsomefour

Legend
and MLB
I agree with you fully someone other than that so-called premium QB is gonna fall into our laps at #15
It's gonna be glorious draft
WR, DE, MLB, CB, CB, DL
WR, DT, TE, DE, MLB, WR.....
I will go that way....I am assuming both CBs (and S) are resigned