NFL changes visor rule

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

NFL changes visor rule after Oakley sponsorship

For years, the NFL has banned tinted visors. Then someone got the bright idea to turn visors into a lucrative sponsorship. Now the NFL will allow lightly tinted visors that are provided by Oakley.

Although the dark sunglasses-style visors that became popular in the 1980s and 1990s are still banned (other than for players with a medical exemption), Oakley visors that are lightly tinted with a pinkish hue will now be allowed.

“We really just got excited about a brand that’s so endemic to sports, but also one that’s a leader in their category from an optical standpoint,” Nana-Yaw Asamoah, the NFL’s VP of business development, told SI.com. “We’ve had rules around visors and what players are allowed to wear on the field, but we haven’t had any relationships there. Through conversations what became uncovered was that from both a performance and safety standpoint, there was a lot more that could be done in this space and working with a brand like Oakley could really take us to the next level on that.”

Visors featuring the Oakley logo have already been worn by players like Kyler Murray during the preseason, and those logos will be commonplace during the regular season, in another way for the NFL to make money.

dang

Legend
Noticed Mayfield wearing one so naturally I think only a$$hat players would wear one even though they do keep fingers out of the eyes.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think I'd want to be wearing a visor. But, it must not interfere as bad as I think because lots do.

Psycho_X

Legend
I don’t remember these ever not being allowed or am I missing something? Marshawn Lynch is first to come to mind that always had one.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I don’t remember these ever not being allowed or am I missing something? Marshawn Lynch is first to come to mind that always had one.

Ladanian Tomlinson did too. I think it was not to tip off defenders with their eyes.

Personally I thought it was protection from the annoying pellets on the field.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
A punt returner fielding kicks into the sun should be able to wear a visor, otherwise he would be staring directly at the sun at times.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Why were visors originally prohibited?

Was there some sort of injury where a guy sharpened his so that the next time an opponent stuffed his fingers in his helmet he was cut?

Or were they just waiting for a sponsorship deal?

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
I remember in my youth taking a finger to the eye and made me wish I had a visor. Between debris, sun, fingers, etc, I have no problem with people who wear visors, especially those who take a lot of touches
Steven-Jackson-vs49ers-Nov-18-2007.jpg

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I remember in my youth taking a finger to the eye and made me wish I had a visor. Between debris, sun, fingers, etc, I have no problem with people who wear visors, especially those who take a lot of touches
Steven-Jackson-vs49ers-Nov-18-2007.jpg
My friend was so bothered by it he took to biting the fingers when the opportunity presented

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Those rubber pellets on the turf fields fly into players eyes all the time, it's a no-brainer to let them use a visor. Of course they will make some bank off it like everything else.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
how about make a visor that is flush with the helmet and do away with face guard. no more face mask penalties.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seems like goggles would work for preventing eye injuries. Dickerson wore them so he could see. Different sport but Jabbar and Worthy wore them for protection. So yeah it’s probably about money.