NFL Arrests and lawsuits - 2017

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I despise drunken drivers. One of them killed a friend of mine: a mother with three children. Drunk driver on a suspended license ran a red light and killed her. He didn't get a day of jail time, and I have no idea why because he had other DUIs.

If it were up to me, I'd throw him in jail and toss away the key. Same with Leonard Little. I was sickened that he was allowed to remain on the team for all those years, especially after his second offense.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ts-lorenzo-mauldin-alleging-nightclub-attack/

Man sues Jets’ Lorenzo Mauldin, alleging nightclub attack
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 11, 2017

623035500-e1497224957155.jpg
Getty Images

Jets linebacker Lorenzo Mauldin is being sued by a man who claims Mauldin beat him up in a nightclub over a spilled glass of champagne.

The lawsuit brought by Jean Lopez says he suffered multiple facial fractures.

“It was not a fight, it was an attack,” his lawyer Glenn Race said, via the New York Post. “He had surgery, he still has numbness on the affected side in his mouth area and traveling up to his ear. It’s a bad injury.”

The incident took place around 2:30 a.m. on April 2 in a New York City club and Mauldin was not arrested or charged. Mauldin’s lawyer says the allegations against him are false.

“Another individual struck the plaintiff. And that will be borne out by the witnesses and other parties involved,” defense lawyer Mitchell Schuster said. “We have a very strong case and I look forward to pursuing it. Lorenzo’s anxious to being exonerated. He was not involved.”

The Jets said through a team spokesperson that they are aware of the lawsuit but have no other comment.

A 2015 third-round draft pick, Mauldin played in 11 games last season, starting three.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ged-with-insurance-fraud-over-afc-title-ring/

Former Bills guard charged with insurance fraud over AFC title ring
Posted by Darin Gantt on June 14, 2017

A former Bills player — who once scammed a convicted scammer — has been charged with a new case of insurance fraud.

According to KTSP, former Buffalo offensive lineman Brent Griffith has been charged with one count of felony insurance fraud after claiming someone stole his 1990 AFC Championship ring.

Griffith claimed someone stole the ring on a Sun Country Airlines flight in 2013, and then made a $5,000 insurance claim. But he was later shown wearing the ring in a Facebook photo.

Griffith’s charges stemmed from his ex-wife calling the insurance company to rat him out, saying he lied about the ring being stolen and that he continued to wear it. The insurance check was made out to both Griffith and his ex-wife, but she said she never signed the check and he cashed it without her knowledge. The complaint pointed to a July 2015 Facebook post which shows him wearing the ring.

In March, investigators searched his home but did not find the ring. He’s due in court July 11, and his lawyer issued a statement saying he was innocent.

Griffith was a seventh-round pick of the Bills out of Minnesota-Duluth, and he spent just the one year with the Bills. He returned to Minnesota and eventually worked as a police officer in Eden Prarie, and as a security guard for the Vikings. During that time, he was charged with fraudulently obtaining credit cards in the name of then-Vikings running back Michael Bennett.

That’s sort of funny, in part because Bennett was just sentenced to five years for burglary and identity theft, after stealing documents of his girlfriend’s parents to obtain $225,000 in loans.

Griffith was also accused in the theft of nearly 1,500 game tickets, and when authorities searched his work locker, they found personal information from several players.

Besides, who really wants to wear a ring for losing a Super Bowl?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
This could have been posted in the Dumbass of the Day thread as well. SMH
Griffith claimed someone stole the ring on a Sun Country Airlines flight in 2013, and then made a $5,000 insurance claim. But he was later shown wearing the ring in a Facebook photo.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/06/19/lawrence-taylor-pleads-guilty-to-dui/

Lawrence Taylor pleads guilty to DUI
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 19, 2017, 7:03 PM EDT

350x-560-e1351043520780.jpg

(AP Photo/Frank Franklin II)

Troubled Hall of Fame linebacker Lawrence Taylor has another conviction on his record.

Taylor pleaded guilty to DUI with injury or property damage today. He had been arrested by the Florida Highway Patrol in September. Police say Taylor was driving a Bentley on the Florida Turnpike when he hit a motorhome, then sideswiped a police car. Taylor’s breath was tested twice and he was over the legal limit both times, .082 on the first test and .084 on the second.

The 57-year-old Taylor was a 10-time first-team All-Pro, three-time Defensive Player of the Year, two-time Super Bowl champion and 1986 NFL MVP. But throughout his NFL career he was plagued by problems relating to substance abuse, problems that have continued into his retirement.

For his latest conviction Taylor was placed on probation for a year, his license was suspended for nine months, he will pay $1,500 in court costs and fines and he will perform community service.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...leads-no-contest-to-assault-public-indecency/

Former Bengals linebacker J.K. Schaffer pleads no contest to assault, public indecency
Posted by Curtis Crabtree on June 20, 2017

450285475-e1497947122708.jpg
Getty Images

Former Cincinnati Bengals linebacker J.K. Schaffer pleaded no contest to charges of assault and public indecency following an incident at a church in February.

According to Cameron Knight of the Cincinnati Enquirer, Schaffer pleaded to reduced charges after he was accused of getting into a fight and exposing himself at Book of Acts Tabernacle Church in Hamilton, Ohio on Feb. 19. Charges of breaking and entering were not included in the reduced charges.

“He is not the individual he was on the date these things happened,” said Mike Allen, Schaffer’s representation.

Schaffer appeared in nine games with the Bengals in 2013 after spending time on the team’s practice squad the year prior. He recorded six tackles during his tenure before being released in 2014.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/06/21/lorenzo-mauldin-charged-with-misdemeanor-assault/

Lorenzo Mauldin charged with misdemeanor assault
Posted by Josh Alper on June 21, 2017

623035494-e1498078887450.jpg
Getty Images

Jets linebacker Lorenzo Mauldin faces a civil suit from a man who alleges Mauldin attacked him at a New York City nightclub in April and he’s now facing criminal charges as well.

According to multiple reports, Mauldin turned himself in to the New York City Police Department on Wednesday and has been charged with misdemeanor assault. TMZ Sports reports that Mauldin faces up to a year in jail if convicted of the charge and a court appearance has been set for August on the matter.

Mauldin has been accused of striking Jean Lopez after Lopez spilled champagne on him. Lopez’s lawsuit claims that he suffered multiple facial fractures as a result.

Mauldin’s attorney said earlier this month that another person struck Lopez and that Mauldin is “anxious to be exonerated.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/06/21/letroy-guion-arrested-for-drunk-driving-in-hawaii/

Letroy Guion arrested for drunk driving in Hawaii
Posted by Darin Gantt on June 21, 2017

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptrimgzizjmxowm2n2fhnguzngjhytkymzlhngvkywuy-e1445738474365.jpeg

AP

Packers defensive tackle Letroy Guion has found trouble behind the wheel of a car again.

Already facing a four-game suspension for violating the league’s PED policy, Guion could now face personal conduct penalties after a being arrested for drunk driving in Hawaii.

According to Sam Spangler of KHON, Guion was arrested early Wednesday morning and charged with operating a vehicle under the influence of an intoxicant.

He was pulled over in Waikiki around 4 a.m., and later failed a breathalyzer test.

The 30-year-old Guion was arrested in 2015 on marijuana and handgun charges, when he was stopped in Florida with $190,028.81 in cash in his truck.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/06/26/ahman-green-arrested-on-child-abuse-charge/

Ahman Green arrested on child abuse charge
Posted by Josh Alper on June 26, 2017

95618161-e1498492357581.jpg
Getty Images

Former Packers running back Ahman Green has been arrested in Wisconsin after an allegation of child abuse.

Paul Srubas of the Green Bay Press-Gazette reports that the Brown County Sheriff’s Office confirmed that Green was arrested and taken to the county jail. Per the website for the jail, Green is charged with Child Abuse-Intentionally Cause Harm/Cruelty toward Child.

The authorities also said they are doing further investigation into the matter and did not provide any other details concerning the reasons for Green’s arrest.

Green played for the Packers from 2000-06 and returned to the team in 2009, which was also his final season in the NFL. Green, who also played for the Seahawks and Texans, remains the leading rusher in franchise history.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/06/26/drug-charges-against-matt-elam-dropped/

Drug charges against Matt Elam dropped
Posted by Josh Alper on June 26, 2017

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptc4n2y4mje2n2uymgi4zgzjnza1zgm4mwzjmgq2yjfj-e1424835165520.jpeg

AP

Former Ravens first-round pick Matt Elam was arrested twice this offseason, but he is no longer facing criminal charges in either of those matters.

According to multiple reports, authorities in Florida have dropped drug charges against Elam related to a February arrest. Theft and battery charges stemming from a May incident were dropped last week.

Elam was arrested in Miami-Dade County after a traffic stop on February 26. He was charged with marijuana possession, possession with the intent to sell or deliver and possession of a controlled substance after police found marijuana and oxycodone in the vehicle.

Elam played safety for the Ravens for the last four years, but the team did not pick up their option on his contract for the 2017 season. He became a free agent in March as a result and has not drawn any reported interest, although that could potentially change now that Elam is no longer facing charges.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ed-to-one-day-in-jail-for-kombucha-violation/

Michael Floyd sentenced to one day in jail for kombucha violation
Posted by Darin Gantt on June 26, 2017

482857018-e1482422166655.jpg
Getty Images

The judge apparently wasn’t a Star Wars fan.

According to Josh Weinfuss of ESPN.com, Vikings wide receiver Michael Floyd was sentenced to a day in jail after a Scottsdale judge found him in violation of his house arrest for drinking kombucha tea.

Floyd was prohibited from drinking alcohol as part of his sentence for a December DUI in Arizona, which led the Cardinals to release him. He said he violated the alcohol tests that were a part of the terms of his house arrest (which was transferred to Minnesota) by drinking the tea, which he didn’t realize contained alcohol.

The Vikings bought that explanation, but the Scottsdale judge didn’t care. Floyd also has to serve the remaining five days of his house arrest.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/06/29/letroy-guion-to-cops-i-know-im-drunk/

Letroy Guion to cops: “I know I’m drunk”
Posted by Mike Florio on June 29, 2017

498323856-e1498786946361.jpg
Getty Images

When in trouble with the law, anything you say can and will be used against you. Including, for an example, an admission of inebriation.

I know I’m drunk,” Packers defensive lineman Letroy Guion told police in Hawaii on June 21, according to police records obtained by the Associated Press.

His blood-alcohol concentration was measured at 0.086 percent, 0.006 percent above the legal limit. The measurement came roughly an hour after his arrest, which suggests it was higher at the time he was stopped.

“I’ve been drinking Hennessy all night,” Guion told police. “I don’t drink any of that weak stuff, only the hard stuff.”

Guion has been suspended for the first four games of the 2017 season for a PED violation. He was suspended for the first three games of the 2015 season for a violation of the substance-abuse policy. He’s facing a minimum suspension of two games for the latest incident.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ns-arrested-for-driving-on-suspended-license/

Steelers’ Artie Burns arrested for driving on suspended license
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 30, 2017

632424478-e1498829742587.jpg
Getty Images

Steelers cornerback Artie Burns has been arrested in Miami Beach for driving on a suspended license.

Burns was booked overnight into jail, according to the Miami Herald.

Andy Slater of WINZ reported that Burns failed to pay $1,012.20 in traffic tickets for driving violations including going 130 mph in a 60 mph zone. Burns also failed to show for a court date.

Burns grew up in Miami and played his college football for the Miami Hurricanes. He was the Steelers’ first-round draft pick last year and played in all 16 games as a rookie, with nine starts.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ed-for-aggravated-assault-with-deadly-weapon/

Cowboys LB Damien Wilson arrested for aggravated assault with deadly weapon
Posted by Josh Alper on July 5, 2017

486080934-e1499269717605.jpg
Getty Images

When teams wrap up their offseason programs, coaches often talk about the need to stay out of trouble in the weeks leading up to training camp because they want to avoid situations like the one Cowboys linebacker Damien Wilson finds himself in on Wednesday.

According to multiple reports, police in Frisco, Texas have confirmed that Wilson was arrested on Tuesday night. Details about what led to Wilson’s arrest haven’t come to light, but he has been charged with two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Wilson has played in every game for the Cowboys over the last two seasons and made six starts during the 2016 regular season. He has 49 tackles and a half-sack in those appearances.

Wilson also found his way into pre-camp headlines last year when he was shot with a paintball and hurt his eye. Wilson avoided serious injury and an extended absence, but this development may have a bigger impact on his availability and standing with the Cowboys.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Former Ravens first-round pick Matt Elam was arrested twice this offseason, but he is no longer facing criminal charges in either of those matters.

According to multiple reports, authorities in Florida have dropped drug charges against Elam related to a February arrest. Theft and battery charges stemming from a May incident were dropped last week.

Elam was arrested in Miami-Dade County after a traffic stop on February 26. He was charged with marijuana possession, possession with the intent to sell or deliver and possession of a controlled substance after police found marijuana and oxycodone in the vehicle.

Elam played safety for the Ravens for the last four years, but the team did not pick up their option on his contract for the 2017 season. He became a free agent in March as a result and has not drawn any reported interest, although that could potentially change now that Elam is no longer facing charges.
He's either the luckiest or unluckiest person alive....

forgot one option...has the best lawyer...ever...Johnny Cochran-ish.

What the hell is going on in Miami????

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You ever been to Miami?
I have...only it was when I was younger.....I recently visited in 2012....and it did look different....but I didn't go out much. Just went to see my Grandmother for her 99th birthday.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...tion-reportedly-led-to-damien-wilsons-arrest/

Amanda Guerra of KRLD reports that Wilson was trying to park his truck outside the stadium and asked a group of tailgaters — there was a soccer match and a fireworks show at the stadium — to consolidate their party so he could use one of the spaces they were occupying. An argument developed from there and Wilson reportedly hit a woman while trying to back his truck into a space.

Guerra also reports that Wilson pulled a gun at some point. The linebacker was released from jail on a $20,000 bond.

Psycho_X

Legend
Late June through the end of July.... the scariest time for coaches and fans. Young kids with too much money and too much free time on their hands. Here's hoping for a clean trip to training camp for the ones in horns.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack

I can't stand people looking at their phone while they're driving. I feel like ramming them off the road. Worse than drunks.

Hahahaha so causing an accident is worth it because they MAY cause an accident themselves? But I actually agree. Drives me insane. Like fuck my life right?

bnw

Pro Bowler
What drives me crazy is arresting someone under the pretense that they are going to hurt someone/property etc. Slippery slope stuff there.