NFL announces Super Bowl “Golden Team” - no Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/28/nfl-announces-super-bowl-golden-team/#content

NFL announces Super Bowl “Golden Team”
Posted by Josh Alper on January 28, 2016

The Broncos and Panthers will be playing Super Bowl 50 a week from Sunday and the NFL has been playing up the golden anniversary of the big game all season.

That continued Thursday with the announcement of the “Super Bowl 50 Golden Team,” which was voted on by the Pro Football Hall of Fame selectors.

“The Super Bowl 50 Golden Team is an amazing list of incredible individuals,” Pro Football Hall of Fame executive vice president Joe Horrigan said in a release. “Each name conjures up memories of some of the sport’s greatest games showcased on its biggest platform, the Super Bowl stage.

Unforgettable individual performances like Lynn Swann’s acrobatic catches in Super Bowl X or Joe Montana’s come-from-behind game winning drive in Super Bowl XXIII are forever etched in the collective memories of football fans and celebrated as some of the most inspiring moments in the history of the National Football League.”

The entire team appears below. Two spots that seem certain to generate some debate are quarterback and coach, where the voters went with Joe Montana and Chuck Noll respectively. The Patriots duo of Tom Brady and Bill Belichick are sure to have quite a few people in their corner and Terry Bradshaw fans will likely have a bone to pick as well when it comes to Super Bowl exploits at those two positions.

Quarterback – Joe Montana, 49ers

Running back – Franco Harris, Steelers; Emmitt Smith, Cowboys

Wide receiver – Jerry Rice, 49ers/Raiders; Lynn Swann, Steelers

Tight end – Jay Novacek, Cowboys

Tackle – Art Shell, Raiders; Forrest Gregg, Packers

Guard – Larry Allen, Cowboys; Gene Upshaw, Raiders

Center – Mike Webster, Steelers

Defensive end – Charles Haley, Cowboys/49ers; Reggie White, Packers

Interior defensive lineman – Joe Greene, Steelers; Randy White, Cowboys

Outside linebacker – Lawrence Taylor, Giants; Jack Ham, Steelers

Inside linebacker – Jack Lambert, Steelers; Ray Lewis, Ravens

Cornerback – Mel Blount, Steelers; Deion Sanders, Cowboys/49ers

Safety – Ronnie Lott, 49ers; Jake Scott, Dolphins

Kicker – Adam Vinatieri, Colts/Patriots (Vinatieri was the only unanimous selection)

Punter – Ray Guy, Raiders

Kick returner – Desmond Howard, Packers

Coach – Chuck Noll, Steelers

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Golden as in "pee pee"

It is based purely on Superbowl appearances/performances...so figure only Rams of 1999 and 2001 qualify, and only the Superbowl stats/performances matter....

This isn't the best of all time NFL players....it is best Superbowl performances/players

D L

Rookie
Name
Dylan
Warner should have made it, he holds top 3 records for most passing yards in a Super Bowl.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
It is based purely on Superbowl appearances/performances...so figure only Rams of 1999 and 2001 qualify, and only the Superbowl stats/performances matter....

This isn't the best of all time NFL players....it is best Superbowl performances/players

Yeah I know
But when I see Montana and Rice on any list I want to vomit

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Warner should have made it, he holds top 3 records for most passing yards in a Super Bowl.

Reasonable argument there...though the voters probably went with multi-time winners more often than not, just glad it wasn't Brady or Bilacheat.

Interesting to note that Vinatieri was the only unanimous selection....and the only Pat on the list.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

Well there was that XIV superbowl too

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Um..... You're missing one.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Well there was that XIV superbowl too

yes, 503....BB informed me...predated me and my quick scan of the SB games list I missed it.

missed that one in scanning through the years. Though to be fair it was also a loss, not sure many losing teams had players that would be considered (same issue 2001 rams had).

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John

Amen. You beat me to it. I think this guy thought only the Steelers, whiners, Cowpukes, Raiders and Packers ever made the Super Bowl.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
yes, 503....BB informed me...predated me and my quick scan of the SB games list I missed it.

missed that one in scanning through the years. Though to be fair it was also a loss, not sure many losing teams had players that would be considered (same issue 2001 rams had).
A HOF DE played on a broken leg in that game. IMO Jack should have been on that list.