Nfl Analyst Mayock Calls Watkins 'special Player'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
bilde

Mike Mayock isn’t typically bullish on wide receivers.

Then again, receivers such as former Clemson standout Sammy Watkins aren’t available on an annual basis.

“I usually don’t get excited about drafting a wide receiver in the top 10,” said Mayock, a former NFL player who’s now a draft analyst for the NFL Network. “But Sammy Watkins is a special player. He’s different.”

Watkins plans to show how different beginning today at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis, where 335 NFL hopefuls will gather at Lucas Oil Stadium in an attempt to impress NFL executives, coaches and personnel directors.

Watkins will be subjected to orientation and interviews today, be measured and examined by physicians on Friday, be tested on bench press and undergo psychological testing on Saturday, then complete the four-day frolic on Sunday with a variety of on-field workouts and drills.

Fortunately, Watkins has learned all about the process from former teammate DeAndre Hopkins, who recently completed his rookie season with the Houston Texans.

Watkins says he has taken Hopkins’ advice to heart and enters the Combine widely regarded as the top receiver prospect. He’s expected to be among the fastest at his position in Indianapolis and could chart the best 40-yard dash time by a Clemson athlete since Jacoby Ford blazed to a 4.28-second clocking at the 2010 Combine.

But Watkins is well aware that speed and agility won’t be his only measuring sticks.

As Hopkins told him: You’ve got to block to boost your stock.

“That’s the first thing DeAndre came back and said, that that’s the first thing they look at when evaluating you,” Watkins said. “They’re not looking at the plays you make; they know you can make plays and catch the ball, so they’re looking at the plays when you’re not getting the ball. That’s what I tried to focus on last season, and coaches did a good job of being hard on me and not allowing me to take plays off. That definitely helped my game.”

Mayock noticed.

“Watkins is physically explosive,” Mayock said. “But what I really, really like about this kid is he’s got toughness. He’ll physically beat press coverage. He blocks people.

“He’s got a little attitude about him. You can see him getting (angry) during games and going after corners and safeties and linebackers. So he’s got an attitude like he wants to be the best player there is, and when you combine that with his physical ability, I think it’s awesome.”

Watkins will be joined at the Combine by fellow receiver Martavis Bryant, who like Watkins is taking the professional plunge as a junior; quarterback Tajh Boyd, offensive lineman Brandon Thomas and defensive back Bashaud Breeland.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/art...-analyst-Mayock-calls-Watkins-special-player-

Last edited by a moderator:

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I heard he runs in the low 3's on. On some occasions he runs sub 3's...

That's blazing, guys. That's faster than what Tavon ran. Of course he hasn't ran yet but I just like throwing stuff out there. He is my favorite this year, after all. I do think his stock will rise after his workouts and interviews. He's already pushing top 5 pick so I'd only trade down with Cleveland to insure we get him.

RamsFan14

Starter
It's exciting reading about Watkins! Weren't the Rams interested in signing Mike Wallace just as much as Jake Long last year? Cause both Wallace and Watkins last names start with a W and they both have great speed, which can change the way defenses play you. Sammy Watkins outside would be great for our team, Givens and Quick are still suspect and I don't trust them right now honestly. The learning curve won't be easy for the WR, so idk how much we can expect next season if we were to draft this guy. We really need an impact playmaker now, but I believe Tavon Austin will really show people next year he can be a great football player receiving wise. I still think he can replace Amendola with his quickness and speed, but having a very capable WR outside can really open up the field for him (and Cook too).

tonyl711

Starter
I want this kid bad, ill agree you don't know what you have in Quick and Givens but if both pan out and you have Watkins, you just turned a weakness into a strength. Austin and Bailey both showed flashes as rookies, I expect both to blossom this year.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I want this kid bad, ill agree you don't know what you have in Quick and Givens but if both pan out and you have Watkins, you just turned a weakness into a strength. Austin and Bailey both showed flashes as rookies, I expect both to blossom this year.
Would you be happy with Mike Evans, or Marqise Lee, or anyone else in this class at WR?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Would you be happy with Mike Evans, or Marqise Lee, or anyone else in this class at WR?
I'm not a NCAA or scouting guru,but everything i've read about Evans tell's me that he'd be another project in an NFL offense. B.Quick is that guy right now. As far as M.Lee goes he looks good,but i worry about the injuries.

If we miss out on Watkins in the top 10 i'd be ok with going with our core group i think. Sam throwing to these guys behind a ground n pound philosophy could work.
-This will be the year for the B.Quick experiment to either blossom or bust IMO.
-You've got to like Steadman and Tavon progressing in their 2nd season. They both showed they can make plays at this level.
-I have a feeling Givens will return to form after a disappointing sophmore season. He looked hurt and uncomfortable last season. We know he can get behind coverage.
-Cook needs to step up.

tonyl711

Starter
no I wouldnt, this kid is the cream of the crop, i think with he will be an elite WR in the NFL. if Quick turns it on this year, imagine trying to stop a productive Quick, Watkins, Bailey, Austin and Cook. it would be Sams dream WR corp IMO.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I would be happy with Mike Evans as well because he brings that element that we miss in our WR crew-namely big guy who can go up and catch a disputed ball. But I think Watkins is better choice for the Rams, because Sam doesn't like throwing into coverage hoping his WR will get it. We need guys who can separate and Watkins can separate. Sam to Sammy, sounds good

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
“He’s got a little attitude about him. You can see him getting (angry) during games and going after corners and safeties and linebackers. So he’s got an attitude like he wants to be the best player there is, and when you combine that with his physical ability, I think it’s awesome.”

This is the part that caught me, plays with an edge. FISHERBALL!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If Watkins falls into our lap then yeah,take him...but i don't think Snead needs to go after this guy like we did with Tavon last year.
OT: To be honest i'd like to see us draft another RB in the middle rounds rather than a WR.
I really like Carlos Hyde as a power back,and Marion Grise in the late rounds.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Watkins says he has taken Hopkins’ advice to heart and enters the Combine widely regarded as the top receiver prospect.

Translation; don't shit in the hotel coffee pot.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
This is going to be the key IMO.

If Watkins looks like he's going to be special, then even if the tackles look special, you have to take the position you're missing.

If he looks pedestrian, then the argument for the tackles is a lot stronger.

jjab360

Legend
Good gosh that was lame...

You know I'm talking " low 4.3's"

Robinson stinks, BTW. ;)
Did I? When it comes to the Watkins boys, I don't even know what constitutes reality anymore, lol.

Btw, I'm not the Robinson fan you think I am. I'd be excited about getting any of the blue chip prospects in this class, even Sammy.:eek: This difference between us makes me able to look at the situation objectively, and argue against any invalid argument, not just arguments for or against certain prospects. This means I have no weaknesses, and makes me an all-powerful deity amongst football fans. :cool: ;)

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Did I? When it comes to the Watkins boys, I don't even know what constitutes reality anymore, lol.

Btw, I'm not the Robinson fan you think I am. I'd be excited about getting any of the blue chip prospects in this class, even Sammy.:eek: This difference between us makes me able to look at the situation objectively, and argue against any invalid argument, not just arguments for or against certain prospects. This means I have no weaknesses, and makes me an all-powerful deity amongst football fans. :cool: ;)
I didn't vote for you!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'm not a NCAA or scouting guru,but everything i've read about Evans tell's me that he'd be another project in an NFL offense. B.Quick is that guy right now. As far as M.Lee goes he looks good,but i worry about the injuries.

If we miss out on Watkins in the top 10 i'd be ok with going with our core group i think. Sam throwing to these guys behind a ground n pound philosophy could work.
-This will be the year for the B.Quick experiment to either blossom or bust IMO.
-You've got to like Steadman and Tavon progressing in their 2nd season. They both showed they can make plays at this level.
-I have a feeling Givens will return to form after a disappointing sophmore season. He looked hurt and uncomfortable last season. We know he can get behind coverage.
-Cook needs to step up.
Heck yes.
God, I hope so.
Lee looks more electric to me on tape, plus I've seen him play a lot. I don't think there is as much separation there as people think. As far as type of player to me, Evans is the type of guy that we need, only because Quick hasn't developed yet. I am still hoping that he will. I think we have a lot of options in this draft. I am looking forward to seeing these guys side by side.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Heck yes.
God, I hope so.
Lee looks more electric to me on tape, plus I've seen him play a lot. I don't think there is as much separation there as people think. As far as type of player to me, Evans is the type of guy that we need, only because Quick hasn't developed yet. I am still hoping that he will. I think we have a lot of options in this draft. I am looking forward to seeing these guys side by side.

Lee's a player. Doesn't have Watkins hands or ball attack imo, but he flat out gets open. Injuries scare the shit out of me. Watkins doesn't have the most stable injury history either.

Not knocking Sammy either. Sammys a freak. I would've liked to see him used in a more traditional offense though, so we could have a better gauge on his route running. Reason being if the Rams draft him, they're drafting him as a pure wideout. He won't ever be in the backfield like he was in Clemson, regardless of the success he had doing it.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
See thats where we would disagree. Looking at the OT position Jake Long got "maybe 2 good years left" and we don't have his replacement on our roster. So clearly LOT is a major need... Now we might not have a known "#1" wr currently on our roster but we should have a okay group thats only getting better... Add in the fact we will be dubious to get another high pick again, I just think its a no brainer you gotta take the blue chip OT over the blue chip WR. Furthermore when you line up 6 games a season vs Cards, Whiners & Hags great Def's you got to protect the QB...I come from the school of thought "it all starts up front"..
P.S. this weekend a lot of good info on "our" guys will only enhance the debate lol.

This is going to be the key IMO.

If Watkins looks like he's going to be special, then even if the tackles look special, you have to take the position you're missing.

If he looks pedestrian, then the argument for the tackles is a lot stronger.

If they do grab an OT early, no doubt in my mind I want Matthews. I don't care how good someones measurables are if they suck at pass protection. We might not be the most pass heavy offense, but with Bradford we will still pass 20-30 times a game, which is 20-30 times a game more than I want Robinson out there. Matthews arms don't concern me one bit.

If we pass on Matthews which i can easily see Fisher doing since I still don't view left as a 1st round need right now, I'd love to grab Morgan Moses in the 2nd. 6'6 314 lbs(lost about 10 lbs before combine, played in mid 320's during season) and 35 3/8ths arms. Still has room to add muscle. But a very very good 2nd day choice and my preference right now. Even if his arms were shorter I'd still like him.

Billy Turner is another one I like who could become a 2nd rounder by combines end. 6'5 315 lbs, 34 inch arms.

And of course my dark horse late round OT....Seantral Henderson. 6'7 331 lbs, 34 5/8th arms.

And jesus, Luke Lucas coming in at 6'8.3 316 lbs, 36 3/4 arms, guy is to big lol