NFL 95: A History of Pro Football in 95 Objects

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
sabol-960-logo.jpg

NFL 95

Steve Sabol’s Office: Where Legend Lives On
Virtually untouched since his passing in 2012, the domain of the NFL Films guru remains a shrine to the game that he loved—and that, through his epic mythmaking, he helped turn into an American institution
By Emily Kaplan

Editor’s note: This is the first in The MMQB’s 10-part series NFL 95: A History of Pro Football in 95 Objects, commemorating the 95th season of the NFL in 2014. Each Wednesday from now through the start of training camp in July, The MMQB will unveil one long-form piece on an artifact of particular significance to the history of the NFL, accompanied by other objects that trace the rise of professional football in America, from the NFL’s founding in a Hupmobile dealership in Canton in 1920 to its place today at the forefront of American sports and popular culture.

MT. LAUREL, N.J. — The door to Steve Sabol’s office remains open, as always. The lights are on and the computer is plugged in, even though the man who worked behind the large mahogany desk, with a nameplate that reads “King of Football Movies,” died nearly two years ago, at 69, of a tumor on the left side of his brain. Despite his absence, his life’s work pulsates inside these four tan walls, filling the 21-by-22-foot room with a creative energy that spills into the hallways of NFL Films.

Here, in a hideaway corner on the second floor, is where Sabol reviewed highlight films, edited scripts, read as many as five books a week, snipped passages from poems and hosted 5 o’clock cocktails on Fridays. It is where the visionary helped mythologize football, and where the man’s legacy lives on.

A few days after Sabol’s passing, a janitor locked the office. When the staff returned to work the next morning, the building didn’t seem right. NFL Films COO Howard Katz had an assistant unlock the oak door, and it hasn’t been shut since. The space has become a sanctuary for protégés to brainstorm, and a gathering place for an occasional Ketel One on the rocks. Everything in the office remains exactly as Sabol left it, down to the lunch order he scribbled on a white post-it note in September 2012: a wrap and a smoothie.

“Every time I walk by, I say, ‘Hi boss,’ ” says Ken Rodgers, a senior supervising producer. “Maybe you think I’m crazy. Maybe I sound crazy. But I still feel his presence here, like he is still sitting at that desk. It is as if he never left.”

sabol-laugh-800.jpg

(Jeff Zelevansky for The MMQB)

You might want to know why we’re here, in this room, looking at a bunch of things a man left behind. Over the next 10 weeks The MMQB will unveil a special project detailing 95 artifacts that tell the history of the NFL, as the league prepares to enter its 95th season. We begin in this office because few have ever loved and cared for the history of the game as much as Steve Sabol. His father, Ed, founded NFL Films in 1962—five years before the first Super Bowl—and with the help of the company’s original programming, from 1967’s groundbreaking They Call It Pro Football to Inside the NFL and Hard Knocks, the pro game came to dominate America’s sporting landscape. Because everything is just as he left it, this office is not so much an artifact as a museum unto itself.

The foyer shines with gold. Light gleams off the five Emmys placed on the center coffee table and dances across the walls, illuminating shelf upon shelf stocked with NFL nostalgia: a Vince Lombardi board game (“The most realistic Pro Football Game ever developed!”); an Otto Graham lamp; figurines galore (Walter Payton, Lawrence Taylor, Lynn Swann, you name it); a leather helmet; and a plate awarded to Pete Rozelle honoring the first NFL-AFL World Championship Game. If you didn’t know Sabol, you’d think the decorations, in this auric tint, are garish. “It’s over the top,” says Patrick Kelleher, another Sabol mentee. “But it’s him.”

Sabol always saw the football field as a movie screen; he was the maestro who paired The Voice of God—John Facenda’s booming intonations of glory—with tight, low-angled shots of spiraling footballs and a stirring soundtrack; the innovator who miked up Hank Stram, giving us “65 Toss Power Trap”; the screenwriter who once wrote, “It starts with a whistle and ends with a gun.”

sabol-emmys-800.jpg

He was, above all else, an artist. The gridiron just happened to be one of his many canvases.

Sabol would spend hours on Saturdays driving from flea market to flea market, bartering for bottle caps, matchbooks and faucets that he would craft into collages. Those art projects still line the hallways of NFL Films, and each piece—just like every item in his gilded waiting room—is there because Sabol wanted it in that exact spot. His interior decorating extends all the way downstairs to the cafeteria, where, hanging above the cash register, you’ll find Sabol’s collage titled, “Waitress.” A few years ago somebody replaced it with a photo of Roger Goodell. Sabol noticed right away. “Where is your painting?” he asked the cashier. The woman didn’t know. “I will get it back for you,” Sabol said. The next day order was restored.

Everything about Steve Sabol was deliberate. To the left of his desk you’ll find two large bulletin boards. Pinned to the board farthest left are knickknacks: a keychain from Sabol’s high school alma mater; photos of Sabol’s father, Big Ed; there’s also a copy of “The Autumn Wind,” Steve’s paean to the Oakland Raiders, which became the team’s de facto rallying cry:

The Autumn Wind is a pirate
Blustering in from sea,
With a rollocking song, he sweeps along,
Swaggering boisterously.

His face is weather beaten.
He wears a hooded sash,
With a silver hat about his head,
And a bristling black mustache.

He growls as he storms the country,
A villain big and bold.
And the trees all shake and quiver and quake,
As he robs them of their gold.

The Autumn Wind is a raider,
Pillaging just for fun.
He’ll knock you ’round and upside down,
And laugh when he’s conquered and won.

Yet there are also large patches of exposed corkboard, a reminder that Sabol left us too soon. On the board to the right he usually posted items about the current season: articles he liked, trends he noticed. Save for a printout of a Washington Post article and a 2012 calendar—turned to the month of September, when he passed—there are few markers of time.

One notecard offers a clue. It is a note Sabol posted while he was undergoing treatment after aphasia began to take his voice.

“Listening to me is like a blocked punt,” it reads. “Life is a process of reinvention… moving on.”

Kennie Smith began working for Sabol in 1976. Her husband was a twice-cut training camp kicker who found work as a NFL Films cameraman. Sabol didn’t like to hire couples, but decided to help out the Oklahoma high school sweethearts by hiring the 21-year-old Kennie as an assistant. “One of the first assignments he gave me involved scotch tape,” Smith says. “And I cannot tell you how nervous that made me.”

Sabol would spend hours at his desk clipping newspapers, magazines and even books. Anytime he liked a quote, a thought, a comparison, a fact, he’d grab a pair of scissors and snip away. He’d then march over to Smith’s desk and drop off the pile, with scant instructions. Her job: tape the clippings to notecards. But Sabol was a perfectionist, and although he never imposed it on his employees, he expected it. Smith found herself spending even more hours taping and re-taping, centering each item just right.

Smith’s handiwork is catalogued in 34 file boxes lining the back windowsill of Sabol’s office. This is where Sabol’s vision for football—not just as a game of X’s and O’s, but also as a drama that tells a story about human nature—is preserved.

Each box has searchable tabs, with topics ranging from players’ names to general themes, such as losing or greatness. Some notecards feature printed-out quotes; others are straight news clippings, and a few are simply Sabol’s handwriting—large, assertive script with perfectly aligned, right-slanting letters. Some notes are about football, others about baseball or basketball, but many are passages from politicians or poets or music reviews from the arts section. It’s a cultural estuary, a window into how Sabol viewed the game.

Under Late Season: “I like a look of agony,” wrote Emily Dickinson, “Because I know it’s true.”

Under Brett Favre: Mondrian, Van Gogh, Picasso, Renoir.

Under Greatness: Maris is history, but Ruth is legend.

Under Ray Lewis: “Happy is the country that requires no heroes,” the German playwright Bertolt Brecht once wrote.

Under Player to Player: The only thing they have in common is that they sound the same when they eat potato chips.

Under Playoffs: “The emperor does not share your optimistic appraisal of the situation” —Darth Vader

Under Michael Vick: Katharine Hepburn’s presence forces her films to go in directions they cannot possibly follow, adopt strategies they cannot fully sustain, raise issues they cannot adequately resolve.

Under Analysis: “There is nothing more deceptive than obvious fact” —Sherlock Holmes

Under Problems: “The highest reward for a person’s toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it” —John Ruskin

Sabol’s favorite subject was Vince Lombardi, to whom he dedicated an entire box. In the final card, in the final tab titled End, Sabol wrote in pencil: The story now is not Lombardi in his time, but how he lives in ours. His spirit still summons up the best we have to offer.

sabol-steve-and-ed-360.jpg

Steve and Ed Sabol. (NFL Photos/AP)

When NFL Films launched in the early ’60s, pro football lagged behind baseball, boxing and college football in popularity. But Big Ed’s intuition and Steve’s innovation helped the NFL grow into a cultural institution. A football signed by each member of the 2011 Pro Football Hall of Fame class sits on the front coffee table of Sabol’s office; Big Ed’s signature is nestled between Richard Dent and Shannon Sharpe.

Around the time the NFL Network launched in 2003, one media member surmised that NFL Films might become extinct. That’s when Steve Sabol’s pride and sense of humor kicked in, and now you’ll find dinosaur figurines sprinkled throughout the office. Those dino figures and the other non-football items in Sabol’s sanctuary are understood best in the context of a note that remains on Sabol’s desk: “Did you make someone laugh today?”

Another note on Sabol’s desk, this one tucked under his keyboard, was one of the last items he brought into his office. It’s a small piece of paper with a few words written in pencil. The letters are faint and barely legible, the scribbling intended as a talking point for the final speech he gave to his employees: “Humility. Make me believe in our company.”

You can’t help but wonder how Sabol might have written his own ending. Would the film about his life’s work call upon the sad violins and a fatalistic narrator to point out that the game clock always marches toward a final gun? Or would it celebrate the triumphs of years gone by, trying to preserve time with a drumbeat that never seems to fade?

The answer, perhaps, is neither.

If you look closely enough at his corkboard, you’ll find thin strips of paper with notes written in Sabol’s fluid, assertive handwriting.

“The soul of a company, not heart,” it reads. “Heart dies, soul is eternal.”

The clock in Steve Sabol’s office still ticks, as always. The phone is still plugged in, but its screen flashes “Do not disturb.” The pink highlighters have dried up, and a Super Bowl V mug is collecting dust. In seemingly every drawer there are packs of notecards still wrapped in plastic.

This is a series about artifacts. But we chose to open it with this man, and this office, because it holds many of the most important pieces of football history that don’t live in Canton, Ohio. And we also wanted to remember that sometimes artifacts aren’t pinned to cork boards, or stuffed away in shoeboxes. Sometimes artifacts are living, breathing things.

Sabol has been gone for nearly two years, but he was careful to make sure his legacy lives on for the next generation—and maybe two—through the spirit of NFL Films.

So we’ll end this story with an enduring part of the Sabol legacy. His name is Mike Mayock.

You probably know Mayock as an analyst on NFL Network. He owes his career to Sabol. After his playing days as a defensive back for Boston College and the New York Giants, Mayock found himself selling commercial real estate in South Jersey. “And I hated it,” Mayock says.

Through a friend of a friend he found himself in Sabol’s office in the mid-1990s, looking for a way back into football. There are dozens of people with stories like this, mentees and protégés whom Sabol has influenced over the years. Each has a common thread: “Steve could sense if you had the passion,” Mayock says. “He believed in hiring people who not only had a talent, but who also had passion. He believed they would do great things.” So Sabol insisted that Mayock, the 10th-round draft pick turned salesman, sit in front of the camera for an audition tape. “We had some great laughs about that later,” Mayock says fondly.

Since then, Mayock has emerged as one of the league’s authoritative voices thanks to his extensive game analysis, a growing subculture that NFL Films helped foster. As much as the company is about mythology and romance and history, it is also about the sport of football. The NFL Films headquarters, a sprawling two-story complex in suburban Philadelphia, is a vault for thousands of hours of game tape, including All-22 or Coaches’ Cuts that can’t be found anywhere else. Media members from around the country flock here, with clicker in hand, to watch, rewind and understand the game better. This is theirsanctuary.

sabol-lived-laughed-800.jpg

Whenever Mayock arrives at a football stadium, he goes out of his way to walk out onto the field, his senses taking him back to his playing days as a defensive back. When he stopped in to visit NFL Films last summer, he slowly walked around Sabol’s office. “It was the same feeling as if I was at the stadium,” Mayock says. “It just kind of took me back, and I felt like I was there with him, and I was reminded of what this is all about.”

And he can still feel his aura, in this room. The one with the door still wide open.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
belichick-playbook-960-logo.jpg

NFL 95

Bill Belichick’s Super Bowl XXV Game Plan

The MMQB presents NFL 95, a special project—unveiled every Wednesday, from May through July—detailing 95 artifacts that tell the history of the NFL, as the league prepares to enter its 95th season. See the entire series here.

Super Bowl XXV, played between the Bills and the Giants on January 27, 1991, is best known for “wide right,” Buffalo kicker Scott Norwood’s missed 47-yard game-winner as the clock expired. Just as noteworthy, though, is the way the Giants defense, coached by coordinator Bill Belichick, stopped Jim Kelly and the Bills’ K-Gun offense.

Kelly was the best quarterback in the league during the 1990 season, piloting a high-powered no-huddle attack that led the league in scoring and hung 51 points on the Raiders in the AFC Championship Game. Belichick had different plans for the Super Bowl: He deployed extra defensive backs to take away Kelly’s deep options, and instructed his defenders to hit hard to limit the short passing game. Final score: Giants 20, Bills 19.

Belichick’s defensive plan for that Super Bowl is now in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and rightly so—it’s tangible evidence of one of the most creative minds the game has seen. Once he took over in New England in 2000, his ability to outsmart opponents, both in coaching and in selecting personnel, helped transform the Patriots into perennial AFC East bullies and three-time Super Bowl champions.

Though his tenure was marred by the “Spygate” scandal in 2007 and two subsequent Super Bowl losses (both to his old team, the Giants), his genius for replacing missing pieces and adapting game plans week by week to expose opponents’ shortcomings instills respect, and a bit of dread, in coaches who face him. A recent victory: sending shockwaves through the division by snaring ex-Jet Darrelle Revis, one of the game’s best cover corners, in free agency, to take the opposition’s best receivers out of the game.

—Jenny Vrentas

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
rocky-bleier-story-logo.jpg

NFL 95

Rocky Bleier’s Purple Heart

The MMQB presents NFL 95, a special project—unveiled every Wednesday from May through July—detailing 95 artifacts that tell the story of the NFL, as the league prepares to enter its 95th season. See the entire series here.

Dozens of NFL players, coaches and team personnel have fought in American conflicts overseas, but few have told their stories as eloquently and grippingly as Pittsburgh Steelers running back Rocky Bleier did in the June 9, 1975 issue of Sports Illustrated. A 14th-round pick out of Notre Dame in 1968, Bleier had been drafted into the Army December of that year, after his rookie season, and was sent to Vietnam in May 1969. In the SI piece Bleier shares a graphic tale of being wounded at the hands of the North Vietnamese in August ’69, preceded by a growing sense of moral disenchantment with the American war effort. Bleier writes:

I took off the sterile gauze and found a gash four inches long and an inch deep on the outer edge of my thigh, about halfway from the knee to the waist. There was no bone damage. The bullet had simply sheared off a piece of muscle and flesh. I never thought about my football career. It was all I could do to consider the immediate options. What if the enemy saw the lieutenant yelling to me? They could tear up that hedgerow in a hail of machine-gun fire and me with it.

Bleier recovered from the gunshot and grenade injuries for which he received the Purple Heart and the Bronze Star, and returned to the Steelers after his service. After several seasons fighting for a roster spot, he became a starter in 1974 and went on to win four Super Bowl rings with Pittsburgh, playing in the backfield alongside Franco Harris.

The Hall of Fame says 21 players, an ex-head coach and a team executive died in World War II, and two ex-players died in Vietnam. A 24th player, former Cardinals safety Pat Tillman, died from friendly fire in Afghanistan in April 2004, after leaving a $3.6 million contract to fight in the war on terror.

—Robert Klemko

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
george-preston-marshall-story-logo.jpg

NFL 95

George Preston Marshall’s Fur Coat

The MMQB presents NFL 95, a special project—unveiled every Wednesday, from May through July—detailing 95 artifacts that tell the story of the NFL, as the league prepares to enter its 95th season. See the entire series here.

Married to a film actress and partial to wearing a full-length fur coat on the sidelines of football games, George Preston Marshall was perhaps the first NFL owner who was in it for the show as much as for the sport. The presentation was a big part of Marshall’s 37-year ownership of the NFL franchise that he relocated from Boston to Washington, D.C., in 1937. He introduced a marching band, cheerleaders and elaborate halftime shows, and supported rules changes that added to the game’s drama, such as opening up the forward pass and splitting the league into two divisions with one championship game.

But Marshall is also one of the most controversial owners in league history, because of his resistance to signing African-American players. His franchise was the last to integrate, in 1962, and it did so only after pressure from the federal government. That history is commonly invoked today, as many Native Americans and allies campaign against the team name “Redskins,” which Marshall selected in 1933 to distinguish his club from Boston’s baseball team, the Braves. The ranks of NFL ownership have included many polarizing figures, including Jerry Jones, the Cowboys’ big-spending oil billionaire, and Al Davis, Oakland’s bold contrarian. Marshall polarizes to this day.

—Jenny Vrentas

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
chicago-bearskin-story-logo.jpg

NFL 95

Chicago’s 1933 Championship Bearskin

The MMQB presents NFL 95, a special project—unveiled every Wednesday, from May through July—detailing 95 artifacts that tell the story of the NFL, as the league prepares to enter its 95th season. See the entire series here.

Today’s NFL teams are driven by the quest for a Lombardi Trophy and Super Bowl rings so extravagant that, as the Giants’ Michael Strahan once said, they could be gawked at 10 tables away in a restaurant. But bling wasn’t always the reward for winning a league title. After the NFL’s first official championship game, the Chicago Bears’ 23-21 victory over the New York Giants in 1933, Bears owner George Halas presented each player with an unusual memento: a custom-made bearskin, inscribed with the team’s numerical roster and painted to read, “Professional Football Champions of the World.”

Beginning the following season, 1934, champions earned the Ed Thorp Memorial Trophy, named for a deceased NFL referee and friend to many team owners. It was last awarded to the 1969 Vikings, and as legend has it, the Minnesota organization lost the trophy and has been cursed ever since. The Super Bowl era brought a new bauble—a trophy originally designed by Tiffany & Co. in 1966 and renamed in honor of legendary Packers coach Vince Lombardi after his death in 1970. And, of course, there’s the tradition of rings now given to every player on a winning Super Bowl side.

—Jenny Vrentas

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
manning-contract-story-logo.jpg

NFL 95

Peyton Manning’s Broncos Contract

In 1993, the NFL birthed unrestricted free agency. And two decades apart, the two biggest fish were landed: Hall of Fame defensive end Reggie White by the Packers in 1993, and future Hall of Fame quarterback Peyton Manning by the Broncos in 2012 (note his signed contract with club football czar John Elway).

No one ever thought Manning wouldn’t retire a Colt—until four neck surgeries made him a liability, and the Colts could draft wunderkind Andrew Luck. Manning a free agent? Bizarre. The specter of Manning flying from city to city for teams to woo him was a great modern-media/TMZ-like spectacle, but Elway won him the old-fashioned way: no pressure. “There’s got to be a dagger in your gut right now,’’ Elway said to Manning on his recruiting visit to Denver. “Take your time. Be thorough. Make the right decision, whether it’s us or someone else.’’ It was one legend treating another the way he’d want to be treated, and it worked. Two seasons for Manning in Denver, two top AFC playoff seeds, but no Super Bowl championship. Yet.

Free agency worked for White and Manning, but it’s been mostly hit-and-miss with other get-rich-quick stars who didn’t pan out as famously.

—Peter King

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
don-hutson-960-with-logo.jpg

NFL 95

Don Hutson’s Cape

The MMQB presents NFL 95, a special project—unveiled every Wednesday from May through July—detailing 95 artifacts that tell the story of the NFL, as the league prepares to enter its 95th season. See the entire series here.

Best wide receiver in NFL history? It’s a no-brainer, right? Like the answer to the question, “Who’s the greatest basketball player ever?’’ Jerry Rice, like Michael Jordan, resides in a class of his own for most fans who’ve followed football over the past 50 years. But consider this: The wearer of one Superman cape on exhibit at the Hall of Fame didn’t play wide receiver the way we think of it, yet was every bit the difference-maker Rice was for the 49ers. Don Hutson lined up at “offensive end” for the Packers from 1935 to 1945, and when he retired he had three times as many receptions, yards and touchdowns as any other receiver who had played to that point.

This was an age in which a defender could hit a receiver regardless of where he was on the field, whether the ball was in the air or not; receivers were permanently defenseless. Additionally, offensive linemen could only block with closed fists or hands held near their chests, arms waving about like flightless birds. And they were turkeys in more ways than one; the statistically average New York Giants of 1935 managed 20 touchdowns in a 5-5-1 season—less than two per game.

The Packers led the league that season with 1,449 passing yards with rookie Hutson—the reigning 100-yard dash champion in the Southeastern Conference—contributing a team-best 420 yards. In 1942, Hutson had 1,211 receiving yards by himself, just over half of Green Bay’s passing offense. That would be like Rice going for 2,400 yards in 1995 (his best season), and not the measly 1,848 he had in reality. Our point: The revolutionary Hutson should be in the conversation for the GOAT at wide receiver.

—Robert Klemko

don-hutson-catch-3-800.jpg

In several seasons Hutson, seen here in 1943, doubled the output of any other pass-catcher in the league. (Pro Football Hall of Fame/WireImage.com)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
tom-brady-draft-card-logo.jpg

NFL 95

Tom Brady’s 2000 Draft Card

The Patriots wrote “Brady, Tom” on the card, the 199the pick in the 2000 draft, and thereby changed the course of their franchise and of league history. That selection in the sixth round pick was a compensatory pick, one of the four awarded to New England for losing linebacker Todd Collins, punter Tom Tupa, defensive tackle Mark Wheeler and center Dave Wohlabaugh in free agency. That’s what’s called a good return.

Brady, of course, stepped in as the starting quarterback when Drew Bledsoe was injured early in the 2001 season, and he finished that year as the Super Bowl XXXVI MVP. Two more Super Bowl rings and four more Super Bowl starts later, the slow-footed, overlooked Michigan kid will be hard to top as the greatest draft steal ever. It’s no wonder Bill Belichick has developed a habit of hoarding draft picks. As conventional wisdom goes, though, the Patriots didn’t know what they were getting either, or else they wouldn’t have waited until the sixth round.

Brady is hardly alone as a late-rounder who rose to stardom: Richard Dent (eighth round, Bears, 1983), Terrell Davis (sixth round, 1995, Broncos) and Shannon Sharpe (seventh round, 1990, Broncos) preceded him as late-round picks who featured prominently on Super Bowl winners. Brady’s draft day might have been an ordeal, but his Canton induction won’t be.

—Jenny Vrentas

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
super-bowl-ticket-story-logo.jpg

NFL 95

Super Bowl I Ticket

How much has the Super Bowl grown since that first AFL-NFL Championship in 1967? A new car and a new home today cost roughly 11 times what they would have back then, when you could snatch a sedan and a place in the ’burbs for about $30,000, total. A Super Bowl ticket today, however—average 2014 price: $2,645—costs 260 times the median offering at Super Bowl I in Los Angeles, $10 dollars, and even that was apparently too expensive. Despite ticket prices of $6, $10, and $12, more than 30,000 seats at the Los Angeles Coliseum went empty for the “world championship.”

And look at the game now, all grown up. The Super Bowl is broadcast in 230 countries and 34 languages. It’s a metaphor for the penultimate event in any field. Every year, it’s the highest-rated television program in America. And, well, it’s the Super Bowl of advertising. And finally, this year, it became a cultural and political bargaining chip, with the league making overtures that it would take a planned Super Bowl away from Arizona were it to pass a bill which, had it not been vetoed, would have allowed business to refuse service to gay, lesbian and transgender customers. Turns out $10 can go a long way.

—Robert Klemko

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
sammy-baugh-story-logo.jpg

NFL 95

Sammy Baugh’s Shoes

Sammy Baugh wasn’t the greatest thing in pro football since the advent of the forward pass, but he was one of the first quarterbacks to use the forward pass as a consistent weapon. Washington’s marquee player, a lanky Texan who played from 1937 to 1952, demontrated to a ground-and-pound league that the pass wasn’t just something to be used with caution or in desperation.

But the legend of “Slingin’ Sammy” is about more than just slinging—namely, his 1943 season, the likes of which we’re all but certain never to again see in pro football. World War II had drawn away many players to serve, so the NFL reduced its rosters from 33 players to 28, and Baugh often played the full 60 minutes in games. He led the league in passing, punting and picking off opposing quarterbacks (his 11 interceptions were tops among all defensive backs). In one game that season, a 42-20 win against the Detroit Lions on Nov. 14, he threw four touchdowns, intercepted four passes and booted the longest punt of the NFL season, for 81 yards.

The greatest seasons by passers today, like Peyton Manning’s record 5,477 yards in 2013, may far exceed Baugh’s 1,754 passing yards. But no player has come close to the all-around excellence of Baugh in that one stellar year.

—Jenny Vrentas

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
bednarik-gifford-logo-2-960.jpg

John G. Zimmerman/Sports Illustrated
John Zimmerman’s Bednarik-Gifford Photo

Concern over player safety has become an integral part of the game in recent years, but the sheer brutality of football has undoubtedly fueled its popularity. One of the most famous hits, delivered and received by two future Hall of Famers, occurred on Nov. 20, 1960, at Yankee Stadium. It resonated at the time because the game was broadcast live on national TV; and it resonates today because of the photograph snapped by Sports Illustrated photographer John Zimmerman, which has become one of pro football’s iconic images.

With the Eagles leading the Giants 17-10 late in the game, New York quarterback George Shaw connected with flanker Frank Gifford on a slant. Gifford was leveled by Eagles linebacker Chuck Bednarik with a forearm to the chest. Knocked unconscious, Gifford was rushed to St. Elizabeth’s Hospital and wouldn’t play again for 18 months; the six-time All-Pro was diagnosed with a deep brain concussion at the time, but he learned decades later that what he actually suffered was a spinal concussion.

The hit paved the way for Philadelphia to win the East conference: Gifford fumbled on the play, the Eagles recovered to seal the victory, and they won the rematch against the Gifford-less Giants the following week on the way to 1960 NFL title, the franchise’s last.

Bednarik caught grief from Giants players and fans for apparently celebrating over Gifford, the scene captured in Zimmerman’s photo. But Bednarik has always maintained that he was merely celebrating the recovered fumble and didn’t even see Gifford lying at his feet until afterward.

Zimmerman continued to shoot for SI, as well as many other major publications, through his retirement in 1991. He is credited with 107 SI covers, included five for the swimsuit issue, and his photograph of the Bednarik-Gifford hit hangs outside the office of Time Inc. Sports Group Editor Paul Fichtenbaum.

— Greg A. Bedard

bednarik-gifford.jpg

The photo, with pride of place in the halls of Sports Illustrated. (Mark Mravic/The MMQB)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
giants-notre-dame-posters-logo2.jpg

Notre Dame vs. New York Giants 1930 Game Program

In the throes of the Great Depression, New York City mayor Jimmy Walker issued a call for help. The New York Giants responded in a big way.

On Dec. 14, 1930, they played a postseason exhibition game to raise funds for New Yorkers hit hard by the hard times—and their opponent was not just any team. Across from team captain Benny Friedman and his Giants was an All-Star team of past and present Notre Dame greats, from coach Knute Rockne to the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse: Harry Stuhldreher, Jim Crowley, Don Miller and Elmer Layden. The Giants couldn’t be stopped at the packed Polo Grounds, besting the All-Stars, 22–0. But the biggest victory was the check that Giants team founder Tim Mara presented to Walker at City Hall four days later: $115,153, the game’s entire revenue.

From its earliest days, the NFL has used its popularity for good. During World War II, the league sold war bonds and contributed revenues from 15 exhibition games to service charities. In this generation, the NFL and the players union established a Disaster Relief Fund after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, which has since been used to contribute millions to relief efforts after Hurricane Katrina, the 2010 Haiti earthquake and Hurricane Sandy.

—Jenny Vrentas

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
dempsey-boot-logo2.jpg

Tom Dempsey’s Boot

They called him Stumpy. Born without a right hand or toes on his right foot, Tom Dempsey had seemingly no future in the NFL. Yet on November 8, 1970, Dempsey kicked a 63-yard field goal—setting an NFL record that endured for 43 years—not in spite of his clubbed foot, but rather because of it.

Dempsey began his kicking career barefoot, simply wrapping athletic tape around the end of his right foot. Sid Gillman signed Dempsey to his Chargers taxi squad in 1968, and the coach helped develop a better tool for kicking. Dempsey’s new shoe was a $200 custom leather boot that featured a 1 ¾-inch leather block at the toe; it resembled (and struck like) a sledgehammer.

Fast-forward two years and one team later, to Week 8 in 1970, as Dempsey and the 1-5-1 New Orleans Saints hosted the heavily favored Lions at Tulane Stadium. With the Saints down 17–16 and two seconds remaining, Dempsey took the field for what was considered an impossible attempt. Not quite. His 63-yard bullet snuck over the crossbar, winning the game and upping the ante for kickers—the previous record was 56 yards, set in 1953.

Stumpy became an enchanting folk hero for the four-year-old Saints. As for the boot: Though never proven, the NFL believed it created an advantage. In 1977 the “Tom Dempsey Rule” required players with artificial limbs to have footwear that conforms to the shape of a normal kicking shoe.

—Emily Kaplan

tom-dempsey-95-800.jpg

Dempsey’s 63-yarder against the Detroit Lions stood as a record for 43 years. (AP)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
arthur-blank-napkin-logo2.jpg

Atlanta Falcons

Arthur Blank’s Napkin

Atlanta’s transformation from a city of finicky football fans to fervent supporters, along with the Falcons’ shift from occasional playoff team to a perennial contender, can be traced to one white dinner napkin. Sound ridiculous? Consider what was written on it. Atlanta joined the NFL in 1965, making the playoffs six times under founding owner Rankin Smith (and later his son, Taylor). But the Falcons never recorded consecutive winning seasons, and the team’s lone Super Bowl appearance was marred by the arrest of safety Eugene Robinson for soliciting a prostitute the night before the game. Fan support was lukewarm.

In 2002, Taylor Smith decided to sell the franchise. Home Depot co-founder Arthur Blank was an eager suitor, and over dinner the men reached an agreement. To consummate the deal, Blank began writing the contract on a napkin. Initially, Smith was skeptical. Is this guy serious? Yet soon enough, both men scribbled their names on the makeshift contract, a $545 million deal.

While the Falcons enjoyed immediate success under Blank, they endured a rough patch in the mid-2000s, especially after quarterback Michael Vick pleaded guilty for his role in operating a dogfighting ring. With an emphasis on drafting homegrown talent and strengthening community ties, the Falcons have emerged as a model franchise, leading the NFC in wins since 2008 while effortlessly selling out the Georgia Dome. The napkin, if you will, wiped a clean slate.

— Emily Kaplan

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
leaf-jersey-logo2.jpg

Ryan Leaf’s Colts Jersey

Here’s all you need to know about how inexact the science of drafting can be: Last February, the first overall pick in the 1998 draft, Peyton Manning, was playing for his second team in his third Super Bowl at the end of his fifth MVP season, in which he earned a $25 million salary.

The second overall pick from ’98, Ryan Leaf, was in a Montana prison, having flamed out of the NFL after five seasons. He was arrested twice in two days in 2012 and sentenced to five years on felony drug and burglary charges. During the sentencing, Leaf told the judge, “I’m lazy and dishonest and selfish. These were behaviors I had before my addiction kicked in.”

In Leigh Steinberg’s book The Agent: My 40-Year Career Making Deals and Changing the Game, Leaf’s representative revealed that the Washington State QB intentionally skipped his pre-draft meeting with the Colts in order to avoid being taken No. 1, leaving Indy and San Diego fans alike to wonder what might have been had the 1998 draft gone down differently.

For one, the No. 16 Colts jersey pictured above would have been awarded to Leaf had Indianapolis called his name first at Madison Square Garden during the 1998 draft. Signed by Leaf, it hangs on the set of the Dan Patrick Show in Milford, Conn.Manning’s No. 18 Colts shirt will be hanging from the rafters in Indianapolis someday.

— Robert Klemko

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
jerry-rice-hands-logo2.jpg

Pro Football Hall of Fame

Mold of Jerry Rice’s Hands

The son of a brick mason, Jerry Rice spent his teenage summers laboring in the Mississippi sun. Up before 5, finishing after dark, he shoveled, slapped mortar and balanced himself on 20-foot-high scaffolding to catch bricks being tossed up from the ground.

“He handled bricks better than any worker I ever had,” Rice’s father, Joe, told Sports Illustrated in 2003. “I was sorry to see him go.” It was the NFL’s gain. While Rice’s fanatical work ethic allowed him to play until age 42, it was those hands—rangy enough to span two octaves on a piano—that snagged 197 touchdowns, hauled in 1,549 receptions and set 38 league records.

They were the supplest hands the NFL has ever seen, responsible for dozens of one-handed catches while setting new standards for highlight-reel plays (among the many must-sees: the tip and grab from Super Bowl XXIII and his over-the-head snatch onMonday Night Football in 1994, which broke Jim Brown’s touchdown record). Uncalloused (he often wore gloves) and unmatched, Rice’s hands are well-accessorized in retirement with three Super Bowl rings. A mold of Rice’s hands is on display at the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio.

— Emily Kaplan

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
1933-rulebook-cover-logo2.jpg

John DePetro/The MMQB

The 1933 Rule Book

The rules have allowed the forward pass in the professional game since 1906. George “Peggy” Parratt of the Massillon (Ohio) Tigers is believed to be the first player to complete a pass in a pro game, with Dan “Bullet” Riley on the receiving end, against Benwood-Moundsville (W.Va.) on Oct. 25 of that year.

But it was hardly ever used because of stiff penalties for incomplete or illegally thrown passes. For instance, the passer had to be five yards behind the line of scrimmage, and the penalty for failing to do so was a turnover even if the pass was incomplete. A controversy bubbled up in the 1932 championship game between the Chicago Bears and Portsmouth Spartans, when Bears fullback Bronko Nagurski faked a run and then threw a touchdown to Red Grange. The Spartans protested that Nagurski wasn’t five yards behind the line of scrimmage. The play stood, and the Bears later won, 9–0.

At the league meetings after the season, Spartans coach George “Potsy” Clark asked for a rule change to legalize any pass thrown from behind the line of scrimmage. The move, which would transform football and lead to the aerial show we see today, wasn’t meant to further the pro game, which had adopted the college rules to that point. It was because, Clark argued, “Nagurski would do it anyway!”

—Greg A. Bedard

1933-rules-cover-inline-800.jpg

After playing its first 13 seasons strictly under collegiate rules, the NFL established some of its own for the 1933 season. The first rule on page 3 was a huge step toward modernizing the passing game. (Courtesy of the Pro Football Hall of Fame)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
oj-ford-bronco-logo-960.jpg

Jean-Marc Giboux/Liaison/Getty Images

O.J.’s White Ford Bronco

O.J. Simpson won the 1968 Heisman Trophy, became the first NFL player to rush for more than 2,000 yards in a season (during a 14-game slate in 1973 no less), starred alongside Arnold Palmer in commercials for Hertz, worked on Monday Night Football with Frank Gifford and Howard Cosell and appeared in Roots, The Towering Inferno and the Naked Gun movies. Today he may be the most notorious former athlete in America.

The Hall of Fame running back is now best known for the circumstances surrounding the deaths of his ex-wife, Nicole, and Ronald Goldman in June 1994. Charged with double murder in the case and given the chance to surrender to police on June 17, Simpson instead engaged in a “low-speed chase” with police along the freeways of L.A., in a white Ford Bronco driven by former teammate Al Cowlings—a pursuit that was broadcast live on all three networks and on CNN, interrupting the NBA Finals on NBC. An estimated 95 million views watched the drama unfold. Simpson finally turned himself in later that evening, after reaching his house in Brentwood.

In a criminal case that dragged out for more than a year and that made household names of Johnnie Cochran and Kato Kaelin, introduced America to the Kardashians and brought the phrase “If it doesn’t fit, you must acquit” into the lexicon, Simpson was eventually found not guilty. However, three years later he lost a wrongful death civil suit brought by the victims’ families and was ordered to pay $33 million.

He’s now serving up to 33 years in a Nevada state prison for felony armed robbery and kidnapping, after he tried to steal back sports memorabilia at gunpoint that he said belonged to him. The mementos included his Hall of Fame certificate. The Bronco? It was purchased by a collector and is apparently available to be rented for weddings, parties and bar mitzvahs.

— Jenny Vrentas

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
turf-astrodome-installation-960.jpg

AP

Artificial Turf: Change From the Ground Up
A godsend to the game’s future when it arrived in the ’60s, the concrete-like plastic surfaces eventually became a nightmare for players and a destroyer of careers. The new stuff’s more forgiving, but purists still prefer the real thing
By Tim Layden

Editor’s note: This is the second in The MMQB’s 10-part series NFL 95: A History of Pro Football in 95 Objects, commemorating the 95th season of the NFL in 2014. Each Wednesday through the start of training camp in July, The MMQB will unveil one long-form piece on an artifact of particular significance to the history of the NFL, accompanied by other objects that trace the rise of professional football in America, from the NFL’s founding in a Hupmobile dealership in Canton in 1920 to its place today at the forefront of American sports and popular culture.

It was the summer of 1969 when they sent Dan Dierdorf out to start digging a grave for his hips, his knees and his spine. Nobody understood this at the time, least of all Dierdorf. He was a 19-year-old sophomore at the University of Michigan, a big kid from Canton, Ohio, 6-foot-3 and more than 270 pounds, and he just wanted to play football.

In the previous autumn he had earned a starting position on the offensive line in the final season before Bo Schembechler took over the Wolverines from Bump Elliott, and Dierdorf wouldn’t surrender that spot for three years and 25 victories. Then he would play 13 more seasons in the NFL, all for the St. Louis Cardinals, and play so well that he would be voted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, one of only 19 offensive tackles so honored. But this was before all of that.

In that summer of ’69, Dierdorf was given a job by the Michigan Athletic Department. It was authentic work—day labor for real money. Dierdorf and some other members of the football team were sent to the floor of Michigan Stadium as members of a work crew assigned to tear up the natural grass field. They ripped up sod in giant panels, loaded it onto trucks and delivered it to various grass-needy locales around Ann Arbor.

When they came back to the stadium, another job awaited: Unrolling giant spools of pale green carpet to replace the grass. The new surface was called Tartan Turf, manufactured by 3M as a competitor to Monsanto’s Astroturf, which had come into use two years earlier, for use on the baseball field in the Astrodome. The Big House was among the first major football stadiums to replace natural grass with artificial turf, though the practice would become epidemic over the next several years.

dan-dierdof-michigan-cardinals.jpg

After helping install the new turf at the Big House, Dierdorf played three seasons on it, and another 13 on the hard surface at Busch Stadium as a Cardinal. (Bentley Historical Library :: Herbert Weitman/WireImage.com)

By September, the Wolverines were playing games, and occasionally practicing on the Tartan Turf. And initially, Dierdorf didn’t entirely dislike it. “It tore up your skin if you fell on it,” says Dierdorf. “But as an offensive lineman, you were guaranteed to get good traction on every play. On pass plays, you really liked the fact that you could drop back and plant, and your foot was never going to slip. From that point of view, you kind of liked it. It was sticky and reliable. I never thought for a minute about what it might be doing to my body.” Dierdorf stops and returns to the more ominous truth of his present-day life: “Who knew?”

Who knew that Dierdorf, 64, would be telling this old college story four and a half decades later, in March of this year, eight weeks after he was hung upside down for 11 hours of surgery to rebuild his spinal column, aided by the insertion of three metal rods and 32 screws. Both of his knees and both of his hips had been replaced, as of six years earlier, yet his legs had withered from a tackle’s tree trunks to a distance runner’s pipe stems because of nerve damage in his spine.

The back surgery had left Dierdorf 2 ½ inches taller, nearly restored to his full height after years of stooping further toward the ground, yet he would need months of physical therapy to teach himself to walk again. In January, Dierdorf retired after 31 years of broadcasting NFL games on television because his body could no longer withstand weekly air travel (he has since taken a job broadcasting Michigan games on radio; the travel is far less demanding).

And he is certain that much of this physical damage was caused by endless hours of football on artificial turf, beginning with the first season in Ann Arbor and continuing for a decade and a half. After he left Michigan’s Tartan Turf, Dierdorf played games and also practiced four days a week on the unforgiving first-generation AstroTurf at Busch Memorial Stadium in St. Louis.

When the baseball Cardinals needed to work out, the football Cards would rope off a rectangular section of outfield carpet and proceed, rather than missing a day on the rug. This went on until 1987, four years after Dierdorf’s retirement, when the Cardinals moved to Arizona and the lush natural grass of Sun Devil Stadium. “It wasn’t so much playing games on artificial turf; it was all those practices,” says Dierdorf. “If you count training camp, [it was] probably 10 practices for every one game.”

Understand, Dierdorf isn’t asking for sympathy or assigning liability (beyond his own), and he isn’t damning the game to which he gave his limbs. Quite the opposite. “Football is a tough game, and you pay a price for that,” says Dierdorf. “But I don’t want anyone to misinterpret my feelings. I love the game of football. If I could go back, I would do everything over again.

“But in hindsight,” he says, “I sometimes sit and think about how different my life would be right now if I had been drafted by the Raiders or the Chargers [both teams with natural grass fields, then and now]. I wouldn’t be the cripple that I am now. I’m not feeling sorry for myself, and I’m not blaming anyone. I just wish it was different. The Cardinals didn’t say ‘Let’s put this artificial turf in so we can cripple our players.’ For a little while, the league had a love affair with artificial turf. Who knew what was happening? Nobody knew.”

It is impossible to know with any certainty the exact role artificial turf played in Dierdorf’s—or any player’s—physical breakdown. Long-retired players suffer not just from the surface that lay beneath their feet, but from the collisions that impacted the rest of their bodies. How the blame is apportioned is anybody’s guess. Yet Dierdorf’s is the extreme version of a common narrative from players in the 1970s and ’80s. “I don’t’ know anybody who likedplaying on the artificial turf that we had back then,” says ESPN analyst Herman Edwards, who spent all but one of his 10 seasons in the NFL on the notorious carpet at Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia. “It was like playing football on concrete.”

This much is not up for debate: Players disliked early turf, they dislike modern turf a little less. Nearly all of them prefer grass.

Yet the story of artificial turf’s impact on the history of the NFL is writ large and far more complex than simply damning the early version of a product that remains in wide use. “It’s been a love-hate relationship,” says Andrew McNitt, professor of soil science and director of the Center for Sports Surface Research at Penn State. “There is a traditionalist in all of us that really wants to see games played on natural grass.

But in 1970, the state of the art and science of growing natural grass was way behind where it is today. Along came artificial turf. Coaches raved about how great it was. Then there was criticism. Then there was a lot of positive talk with the development of the [current] artificial turf, and now a little bit of criticism again.”

Yet in a more artistic sense, artificial turf is a canvas on which some of the most significant moments in the history of the NFL are painted and preserved forever. The undefeated 1972 Miami Dolphins played their home games on Poly-Turf in the Orange Bowl. Franco Harris plucked the Immaculate Reception off the artificial turf of Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh in December of that same season. Lynn Swann acrobatically pulled Terry Bradshaw’s passes from the Florida sky in Super Bowl X, the last football game played at the Orange Bowl before it went back to grass in 1976.

Edwards picked up Joe Pisarcik’s muffed handoff at Giants Stadium in the Miracle at the Meadowlands in 1978. Lawrence Taylor implored his Giants teammate to “get out there a like a bunch of crazed dogs” on that same Meadowlands turf. Buddy Ryan’s “46” Bears ran roughshod over the NFL while playing home games on artificial turf at Soldier Field. Buffalo’s K-Gun offense, the Rams’ Greatest Show on Turf and the Patriots’ unbeaten 2007 regular season all were turf-based. Seven Super Bowls have been played on the plastic at the Superdome in New Orleans, more than any other venue.

So it’s true that the game does not always remember the rug fondly, but the rug is stitched deeply into the story of the game.

In 1964, Chemstrand, a subsidiary of the Monsanto Corporation installed a synthetic surface called Chemgrass in the fieldhouse at the Moses Brown School in Providence, R.I. It was almost coincidental that synthetic turf landed in professional football four years later. “The developers of the original synthetic turf system most probably did not envision their creation to be on the playing fields of professional sports,” wrote McNitt, Thomas J. Serensits and John C. Sorochan in a chapter devoted to artificial turf in the 2013 textbookTurfgrass: Biology, Use and Management.

“After the Korean War, the Ford Foundation determined that military recruits from rural areas were in better physical condition than those from urban areas because [the latter lacked] safe, suitable places for children in cities. To address this problem, synthetic turf was developed….” (It’s impossible to miss the irony that a surface reviled by many for its punishing qualities was originally conceived for safety).

In 1966, Chemgrass was installed in the Astrodome for baseball (because the light through the roof panels, some of which were painted over to reduce glare, proved insufficient to sustain live grass) and summarily renamed AstroTurf; two years later the Houston Oilers—then a member of the AFL—moved into the Astrodome and became the first professional football team to play on artificial turf.

A year later the Eagles began playing on artificial turf at venerable Franklin Field, and in the spring of 1970, NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle told a gathering of businessmen in Chicago that he expected every team in the NFL to be playing on artificial surfaces “within a few years.” The league seemed to follow his cue: Five teams went to synthetic surfaces in 1970 and five more in 1971. By the beginning of the 1976 season, 16 of the 28 teams in the NFL were playing on first-generation artificial turf of some variety, a number that would peak at 17 in the 1984 season.

There were practical reasons for the embrace of plastic grass. In 1976, there were seven so-called multi-use stadiums in the NFL, facilities like Three Rivers, Riverfront (Cincinnati) and Candlestick Park (San Francisco) that shared time with baseball teams. (There is just one dual-use venue now, in Oakland; it has grass.) Artificial turf was a godsend for groundskeepers who couldn’t sustain or grow suitable natural grass. “Now we can sod a field and play on it the next day,” says McNitt. “That was not the case in the 1970s.” Still, most of the early synthetic fields were made up of green carpet glued to asphalt. They were undeniably hard, and none worse than The Vet in Philadelphia, with its wasteland of seams and bubbles, lying in wait to snag unsuspecting visiting players.

“There was one spot, I think it was where the pitcher’s mound was,” says former NFL defensive back Eric Allen, who played for the Eagles from 1988 to ’94. “It was hollow underneath. You would run across there and it would be, like thump, thump, thump. Guys were wary of coming there and playing against us, because the field had such a bad reputation. I would walk around during warmups and talk to the [opposing] wide receivers—‘You better watch out, there are some rough spots out there’—you know, just trying to get them to slow down and think about it.”

On Oct. 10, 1993, Wendell Davis of the Chicago Bears wasn’t thinking about it at all. He was a sixth-year wide receiver who had been drafted in the first round in 1988 after catching passes for more than 2,700 yards and 19 touchdowns in three seasons at LSU. Davis worked his way into the Bears’ starting lineup in 1989 and two years later led an 11-5 playoff team team with 61 catches for 945 yards and six touchdowns. He followed that up with 54 catches in ’92 and came to the Vet in ’93 with 12 catches in the first four games of that season.

It was the 71st game of his professional career and his first trip to Philadelphia. He liked playing on grass, such as at in the lush stadiums of the SEC (where even Alabama and Florida each had artificial turf for a time), but he didn’t hate artificial turf, either. “I felt like it made you quick,” says Davis. “Made you feel faster.”

He had caught three passes that day for 38 yards when he lined up across from Eagles corner Mark McMillian in the third quarter and then burst off the line. “Simple back-side post route,” says Davis. Bears quarterback Jim Harbaugh threw to Davis, but the pass was high and behind the receiver. “I planted my feet, turned my body and jumped,” recalls Davis. “Then I heard two pops and landed flat on my butt. I looked down, and my kneecaps were up in my thighs. I thought, You’ve got to be kidding me.”

Davis, then 27, had ruptured both patella tendons leaping off the Vet’s carpet. It stands as one of the most horrific injuries in NFL history. He is 48 years old now, and recently moved from California back to Chicago; his son is a college football player. He is not by nature a bitter man, or given to accusatory rhetoric. “The way I moved that day,” says Davis, “I think my injury could have happened on grass. But I will say that was a very hard surface. No cushion at all.”

Long before Wendell Davis went down there had been blowback from players over artificial turf. As early as 1973 the NFL Players Association had asked for a moratorium on the installation of artificial turf. Yet injury data was—and remains—scarce. The most exhaustive study was conducted from 1980 to ’89 by John Powell, a researcher and athletic trainer at the University of Iowa. “Overall, there is a tendency for AstroTurf to be associated with an increased risk for knee sprains and MCL [medial collateral ligament] and ACL [anterior cruciate ligament] injuries under very specific conditions,” Powell wrote in the American Journal of Sports Medicine. But he also wrote, “It may be that participation on AstroTurf is the most important of all risk factors or it may be well down the list of importance.”

Yet Davis’s injury has come to be regarded as the tipping point for old-school artificial turf. It was almost unique in its damage—Davis never played another down—and it took place on what was acknowledged as the worst surface in the league. Still, change occurs slowly in the NFL, and it wouldn’t be until 2004, 11 years after the Davis injury, that the league was entirely cleansed of first-generation artificial turf.

The last gasp came in the 1999 season, when the St. Louis Rams, called “The Greatest Show on Turf” for their offensive explosiveness under coordinator Mike Martz and quarterback Kurt Warner, won the Super Bowl. That team went 8-0 on the indoor rug at what was then known at the TWA Dome, and, says Martz, benefited from the speedy surface in executing an aggressive downfield passing game that often required Warner to hold the ball much longer than in most systems. “We would all love to see games only on grass,” says Martz. “But on that old surface, guys could come out of cuts and change direction exceptionally fast. It was definitely a factor.”

Even then, movement away from the original design of artificial turf was well underway. By the middle 1990s, a form of artificial turf that utilized longer plastic fibers held upright and cushioned by crumb rubber infill was in production. According to NcNitt, Serensits and Sorochan, the first such field was installed at a Pennsylvania high school in 1997, and two years later at the University of Nebraska’s Memorial Stadium. (Visitors to that field would inevitably dig into the fibers and roll the little pieces of rubber between their fingers, soaking up the newness of it all while fighting the urge to get downright giddy). The surface was viscerally softer. Currently 13 of 31 NFL stadiums are fitted with artificial turf, and all are some variety of infilled surface.

turf-field-turf-closeup.jpg

FieldTurf and similar next-gen surfaces employ rubber pellets, sand and other materials to soften the field and make its response more grass-like. (Pascale Simard/Bloomberg News)

Still, players overwhelmingly prefer natural grass. In the last survey performed by the NFLPA, in 2010, 69.4 percent of NFL players said they preferred natural grass to any form of synthetic surface. In a survey released by the NFL in 2012 and measuring games played from 2000 to ’09, knee and ankle sprains were shown to be 22 percent more common on FieldTurf than on grass and ACL sprains 67 percent more common. (McNitt, however, points out that lower-extremity injuries are not so simply assigned to the playing surface. “It’s the surface and the shoe,” says McNitt. “Footwear companies are making much, much more aggressive shoes.” On occasion the shoe will stick, and the knee or ankle or hip will move, often with catastrophic results).

The southernmost NFL stadium with artificial turf is Baltimore’s M&T Bank Stadium, which opened in 1998 with natural grass but in 2003 converted to infilled synthetic turf because the grass field deteriorated badly late in the autumn. This occurred not because of cold weather, but because the field received too little sunshine. “Modern stadiums are being built higher, to get fans closer to the field,” says McNitt. “That’s created a problem in getting sun to the playing surface for any significant length of time during the day.”

Brian Billick, who was the Ravens’ coach at the time of the conversion, says, “All our players would have preferred grass, but not the grass that we had at the end of the season.”

So plastic grass remains an active chapter, if an evolving one. Last fall Wendell Davis took his son on a recruiting visit and walked across a modern artificial turf surface. “So different,” he said. “So much softer.” He felt as if he was walking on a pillow. The old stuff is a part of his life. “A part of who I am,” he said. “Always will be.” A part of the NFL, too. A thin slice of hard, green carpet spread across the history books, and a lesson learned.

turf-browns-niners-mud-1974-nl.jpg

What’s been lost? More scenes like this one, when the 49ers and the Browns had a field day in the mud at Cleveland’s Municipal Stadium in 1974. (Neil Leifer/Sports Illustrated)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This was great reading, thank you very much.

The Sabol story was actually moving, the people in that office must miss him terribly to preserve everything like that.