NFC West’s Top 15 Impact Players for 2014/Softli

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
NFC West’s Top 15 Impact Players for 2014
By Tony Softli

http://www.101sports.com/2014/07/01/nfc-wests-top-15-impact-players-2014/

Is the toughest division in the NFL also the most talent-laden?

It’s a question that must be posed in light of last year’s four-horse race, which could become even tighter this fall. But while all of us are aware of the overall strength of the Seattle Seahawks, San Francisco 49ers, Arizona Cardinals and St. Louis Rams, let’s take a closer look at some of the finest individual performers for these clubs.

Tavon Austin, WR, St. Louis Rams

With a healthy Sam Bradford back at the controls, look for this dynamic playmaker to take the next step as a receiver, attacking multiple levels of the defense with explosive run-after-catch production. Austin will also create big plays in the return game.

Antonio Cromartie, CB, Arizona Cardinals

This newcomer to the NFC West brings size, length, exceptional speed, experience and production. Aligning opposite of Patrick Peterson might provide Arizona with the best CB tandem in the entire NFL.

Vernon Davis, TE, San Francisco 49ers

How do you put pressure on a defense? Speed down the seam. Davis is still playing at a high level, and his speed puts pressure on the coverage, drawing double teams and forcing the defense to respect his ability. Because he will attract a lot of attention, concentration in traffic will be key to his explosive playmaking skill set in the seam and outside the numbers.

Aaron Donald, DT, St. Louis Rams

Yes, a rookie makes the cut for the top 15 impact players. He will need to make the adjustment at the NFL level of competition against blocking schemes, but his exceptional initial quickness out of stance and advanced hand combat make him a favorite to succeed early in his career. A rare interior pass rusher coming out of Pitt, he will contribute in the run game, too, with a high number of TFL’s.

Johnny Hekker, P, St. Louis Rams

Winning field position is one of the key factors in the game of football, and Hekker provides that for the Rams. On the heels of his first Pro Bowl appearance a year ago, Hekker will once be one of the difference-makers this season. ] This young punter’s hang time tilts the chins of opposing punt returners, forcing fair catches, and his directional kicking is among the best in the NFL.

Colin Kaepernick, QB, San Francisco 49ers

After the offseason distraction in Miami was resolved, the 49ers’ brass inked the dual-threat signal-caller to a well-deserved, long-term extension. With the 2014 grand opening of the Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, the big question for Kaepernick and Co. is whether the Niners can take advantage of the excitement and extend a window of opportunity that is closing rather quickly. Kaepernick will need to have his best season yet to dethrone Seattle and keep St. Louis and Arizona from nipping at his heels.

James Laurinaitis, LB, St. Louis Rams

Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams will lean on “55” to be the bellcow and lead the Rams’ defense in 2014. During Laurinaitis tenure, this iron man has not missed a game. His production from the middle linebacker position comes out to over 100 tackles in each of his seasons as a pro.

Marshawn Lynch, RB, Seattle Seahawks

When the beast is allowed to eat, the Seahawks are victorious. In order to grab another NFC West crown, Seattle must maintain balance during the 2014 campaign by staying in “Beast Mode” a high percentage of the time. Lynch is a physical runner with excellent second effort and an uncanny ability to pick up yards after contact – perfect for such a ball-control offense.

Patrick Peterson, CB, Arizona Cardinals

Already one of the best athletes in the NFL, Peterson is arguably the best corner man in the NFC West. This all-purpose, three-phase player aligns on offense as a toy, mans his spot in the defensive secondary and is a returner as well. He is the ultimate difference-maker with the ball in his hands.

Robert Quinn, DE, St. Louis Rams

The North Carolina product’s 2013 season ended in a Pro Bowl berth. With an outstanding spring and the implementation of a new defensive scheme, will Quinn duplicate his sack numbers from a year ago? Count on it. Quinn’s relentless motor, passion and desire make him the best pass rusher in the NFL.

Joe Staley, OT, San Francisco 49ers

One of the top blindside tackles in the NFL, equipped with high playing time and production. Despite protecting a mobile quarterback in Kaepernick, Staley’s impact in terms of sealing the edge and run blocking will be critical in the 49ers’ offensive success.

Earl Thomas, S, Seattle Seahawks

An explosive hitter with corner coverage skills, he has excellent football instincts, read-reaction quickness and is a difference-maker. With apologies to Richard Sherman, Thomas is the leader of the “Legion of Boom” and he and his teammates are aiming higher in 2014. While the word “repeat” is not being said, it is definitely in the minds of those in the know within the Seahawks’ organization and the 12th Man.

Bobby Wagner, LB, Seattle Seahawks

If this player can remain healthy, he is a lock for Pro Bowl honors. Wagner is versatile and a three-down with the complete package when it comes to tackling, blitzing and man-to-man coverage; one of the young and dominant linebackers in the game today.

Patrick Willis, LB, San Francisco 49ers

Detractors say he is only a two-down linebacker. In reality, Willis is a sideline-to-sideline wrecking machine, and his blitz production is off the charts. When you’re building a defense and looking for a middle linebacker who not only looks the part, but has all the physical tools, athletic ability, speed and nasty demeanor, look no further than Patrick Willis.

Russell Wilson, QB, Seattle Seahawks

Having led his team to a Super Bowl title, the 5-foot-11 QB proved height doesn’t matter. It will be interesting to see how the offseason changes that the Seahawks made, both offensively and defensively, keep the divisional foes at bay. Without Wilson, Seattle doesn’t soar as high or as far – despite a very strong defense.

Top rookies to watch in the NFC West in 2014

Aaron Donald, DT, St. Louis

Chris Borland, LB, San Francisco

Deone Buccanon, DB, Arizona

Greg Robinson, OG, St. Louis

Tre Mason, RB, St. Louis

Jimmie Ward, DB, San Francisco

Bruce Ellington, WR, San Francisco

So we have the most in the west?

I hope both Wilson and CrapOnDick make a huge impact...into our turf when Quinn sacks them for the 5th time.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Its odd that he listed the 2 NFC west QBs most likely to finish the season on IR as impact players.

OldRock

Rookie
Name
Rocky
NFC West’s Top 15 Impact Players for 2014
By Tony Softli

http://www.101sports.com/2014/07/01/nfc-wests-top-15-impact-players-2014/

Is the toughest division in the NFL also the most talent-laden?

It’s a question that must be posed in light of last year’s four-horse race, which could become even tighter this fall. But while all of us are aware of the overall strength of the Seattle Seahawks, San Francisco 49ers, Arizona Cardinals and St. Louis Rams, let’s take a closer look at some of the finest individual performers for these clubs.

With a healthy Sam Bradford back at the controls, look for this dynamic playmaker to take the next step as a receiver, attacking multiple levels of the defense with explosive run-after-catch production. Austin will also create big plays in the return game.

This newcomer to the NFC West brings size, length, exceptional speed, experience and production. Aligning opposite of Patrick Peterson might provide Arizona with the best CB tandem in the entire NFL.

How do you put pressure on a defense? Speed down the seam. Davis is still playing at a high level, and his speed puts pressure on the coverage, drawing double teams and forcing the defense to respect his ability. Because he will attract a lot of attention, concentration in traffic will be key to his explosive playmaking skill set in the seam and outside the numbers.

Yes, a rookie makes the cut for the top 15 impact players. He will need to make the adjustment at the NFL level of competition against blocking schemes, but his exceptional initial quickness out of stance and advanced hand combat make him a favorite to succeed early in his career. A rare interior pass rusher coming out of Pitt, he will contribute in the run game, too, with a high number of TFL’s.

Winning field position is one of the key factors in the game of football, and Hekker provides that for the Rams. On the heels of his first Pro Bowl appearance a year ago, Hekker will once be one of the difference-makers this season. ] This young punter’s hang time tilts the chins of opposing punt returners, forcing fair catches, and his directional kicking is among the best in the NFL.

After the offseason distraction in Miami was resolved, the 49ers’ brass inked the dual-threat signal-caller to a well-deserved, long-term extension. With the 2014 grand opening of the Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, the big question for Kaepernick and Co. is whether the Niners can take advantage of the excitement and extend a window of opportunity that is closing rather quickly. Kaepernick will need to have his best season yet to dethrone Seattle and keep St. Louis and Arizona from nipping at his heels.

Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams will lean on “55” to be the bellcow and lead the Rams’ defense in 2014. During Laurinaitis tenure, this iron man has not missed a game. His production from the middle linebacker position comes out to over 100 tackles in each of his seasons as a pro.

When the beast is allowed to eat, the Seahawks are victorious. In order to grab another NFC West crown, Seattle must maintain balance during the 2014 campaign by staying in “Beast Mode” a high percentage of the time. Lynch is a physical runner with excellent second effort and an uncanny ability to pick up yards after contact – perfect for such a ball-control offense.

Already one of the best athletes in the NFL, Peterson is arguably the best corner man in the NFC West. This all-purpose, three-phase player aligns on offense as a toy, mans his spot in the defensive secondary and is a returner as well. He is the ultimate difference-maker with the ball in his hands.

The North Carolina product’s 2013 season ended in a Pro Bowl berth. With an outstanding spring and the implementation of a new defensive scheme, will Quinn duplicate his sack numbers from a year ago? Count on it. Quinn’s relentless motor, passion and desire make him the best pass rusher in the NFL.

One of the top blindside tackles in the NFL, equipped with high playing time and production. Despite protecting a mobile quarterback in Kaepernick, Staley’s impact in terms of sealing the edge and run blocking will be critical in the 49ers’ offensive success.

An explosive hitter with corner coverage skills, he has excellent football instincts, read-reaction quickness and is a difference-maker. With apologies to Richard Sherman, Thomas is the leader of the “Legion of Boom” and he and his teammates are aiming higher in 2014. While the word “repeat” is not being said, it is definitely in the minds of those in the know within the Seahawks’ organization and the 12th Man.

If this player can remain healthy, he is a lock for Pro Bowl honors. Wagner is versatile and a three-down with the complete package when it comes to tackling, blitzing and man-to-man coverage; one of the young and dominant linebackers in the game today.

Detractors say he is only a two-down linebacker. In reality, Willis is a sideline-to-sideline wrecking machine, and his blitz production is off the charts. When you’re building a defense and looking for a middle linebacker who not only looks the part, but has all the physical tools, athletic ability, speed and nasty demeanor, look no further than Patrick Willis.

Having led his team to a Super Bowl title, the 5-foot-11 QB proved height doesn’t matter. It will be interesting to see how the offseason changes that the Seahawks made, both offensively and defensively, keep the divisional foes at bay. Without Wilson, Seattle doesn’t soar as high or as far – despite a very strong defense.

Top rookies to watch in the NFC West in 2014

Aaron Donald, DT, St. Louis

Chris Borland, LB, San Francisco

Deone Buccanon, DB, Arizona

Greg Robinson, OG, St. Louis

Tre Mason, RB, St. Louis

Jimmie Ward, DB, San Francisco

Bruce Ellington, WR, San Francisco
Sorry, messed up again I'm afraid. Just wondered, when did Softi develop a Woody for the rams? What's going on here? o_O

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Our depth chart is so good at the moment we've even got out Punter listed as one of the top impact players in our division - we rock!!!

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Sorry, messed up again I'm afraid. Just wondered, when did Softi develop a Woody for the rams? What's going on here? o_O
I'm surprised he didn't put #8 on the list! Sam will have a bigger impact than Wilson or the biceps kisser! Look for Sam to have his best year ever on his way to the Pro Bowl!

SierraRam

Recreational User
One thing is for sure: this division is stacked! The Cards hardly get a mention and they're tough too.

Is there even a close 2nd? AFC West? There's a lot of head to head matchups between the two , so I guess we'll find out..

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Call me a Homer or what-ever, but I would have added Robinson and Chris Long to the List! Robinson will have a dramatic effect on our Rushing game. And Longs Sack totals will go up, with the push up the middle Donald will be coming with!! JMHO. GO RAMS!

jjab360

Legend
It would be nice to have that list in some kind of actual order. Otherwise what's the point of even having a list?

RAM's-NWST

UDFA
Interesting that there was only 1 WR mentioned and only 1 RB where you normally would expect skill positions to fill the list. The article points to the "toughest division in football" by highlighting defensive and even special teams as having many of the "finest individual performers." I agree with the way the Rams are rebuilding and the emphasis on running the ball with play action pass, tough defense and effective special teams play. I also am pleased that the Rams talent level has come up enough to lead this list. Not saying that this is a great article or that no other players should have mentioned instead, just observations.

AZRamsFan93

Its odd that he listed the 2 NFC west QBs most likely to finish the season on IR as impact players.
I am sure that the irony that Sam was ACTUALLY the only QB to end up on IR is not lost on you?

This is football. Any player can be hurt.

AZRamsFan93

Call me a Homer or what-ever, but I would have added Robinson and Chris Long to the List! Robinson will have a dramatic effect on our Rushing game. And Longs Sack totals will go up, with the push up the middle Donald will be coming with!! JMHO. GO RAMS!
OK. Homer. :)

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Our depth chart is so good at the moment we've even got out Punter listed as one of the top impact players in our division - we rock!!!

I'm not sure if we should take that as a compliment or an insult... I'm hoping he is the least impactful player listed.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'm not sure if we should take that as a compliment or an insult... I'm hoping he is the least impactful player listed.

I don't. If this dude can net 48 yards a punt, limiting returns and pinning the opposing offense inside their 20, maybe 10 I would love that. Would be nice to finally see the other team start there instead of the Rams.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I don't. If this dude can net 48 yards a punt, limiting returns and pinning the opposing offense inside their 20, maybe 10 I would love that. Would be nice to finally see the other team start there instead of the Rams.

My thought is the only guy I want to see kicking the ball is Greg. The dude can put up 3 points from deep like he is Ray Allen.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
One thing is for sure: this division is stacked! The Cards hardly get a mention and they're tough too.

Is there even a close 2nd? AFC West? There's a lot of head to head matchups between the two , so I guess we'll find out..

Yeah I thought it was odd that Fitzgerald wasn't on the list.

AZRamsFan93

This is Softli's list, a former Rams employee. So it is not exactly unbiased.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
My thought is the only guy I want to see kicking the ball is Greg. The dude can put up 3 points from deep like he is Ray Allen.

The offense could be limited again. I'm tired of seeing the Rams start at the 20 or less. It's about damn time the other team starts there, especially with this defense.

Punters are taken for granted. I remember when Daniel Sepulduva on the Steelers got hurt a few seasons ago, and some dude named Mitch Berger came around. Dude always shanked or had low net yards (like 30 something). Field position was terrible.

In other words...#puntersarepeopletoo

fearsomefour

Legend
Love the possible impact of Donald. Just not the plays he can make himself but the potential to limit doubles on Quinn.