NFC West WR's: A division of smurfs?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
FWIW...in terms of our smallish secondary matching up in terms of size...
When you look at the current depth charts of our division rivals at WR:

AZ- Fitzgerald(6'3"), John Brown(5'10"), JJ Nelson(5'10"), Brittan Golden(6'0")

SEA- Doug Baldwin(5'10"), Jermaine Kearse(6'1"), Tyler Lockett(5'10"), Paul Richardson(6'0")

SF- Bruce Ellington(5'9"), P. Garcon(6'0"), Marquise Goodwin(5'9")

Larry Fitzgerald(6'3") is the only WR with good size. The rest of these guys are all 5'10 - 6' targets.
Not a whole lot of size in the division anymore(which includes our Rams with Britt and Quick gone).

Draft pending of course.

I'd like to think that coaches look hard within their division for matchups when forming a roster. This could be another reason that the Rams are willing to shop TruJ(?)

The additions of K.Webster, Nick Robey Coleman, moving Joyner to FS etc...
Having a big DB like Tru who can make plays is a luxury in the NFL...but the Rams could be looking to put together a secondary that can cover all these smaller weapons within the division. Just a thought.

BeefJurky

Rookie
I shuddered the other day when I realized that with Larry getting old, Doug fucking Baldwin is the premier receiver of the NFCW :eek:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is an interesting observation, @Mojo Ram

I hadn't noticed this "transformation" in our division and it certainly bucks the trend league-wide.

Team's talk all the time about building the roster to matchup in the division.

Interesting to know how much was intentional, and if their are advantages or disadvantages when playing outside the division.

But, to your point, the draft could reshape how this looks right now. It may be nothing more than a coincidence that the WR's are generally smaller.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I don't really see the lack of height in WR's being a major +/- as many do. Now of course, you don't want to go with a whole group of 5'10" and shorter guys, but height isn't the main factor in making a good/great WR IMHO. Yes it IS an attribute that can help, but the order in which I value the assets of a good WR are as follows:

1 . Good hands - If you can't catch the ball, then no other attribute is going to matter. Period. I laso like to see at least avg-large hand size
2. Good Route running - If you run good routes, you can make up for speed and get yourself open. Also helps overcome lack of height
3. Explosion/Triangle #'s - If you have explosive lower body and change of direction, it helps w/#2 on my list and will give you leaping ability
4. Toughness - Having the mindset and physical ability to go into traffic and will to make the ball your's.
5. Speed - If you have 1,2,3 &4 above... + speed. you then have RAC ability which leads to bigger plays.
6. Height - Height is a great + to have... but if you don't have at least 1, 2, and 4 above you are just gonna be a novelty IMHO. I think we can use a guy lie BQ as an example.

There are many many instances of Good-Great WR's currently and not so distant past that were not BIG WR's ... but damn they were/are good and difference makers for their teams. Going back to our own trio during the GSOT (Bruce/Holt/Hakeem) were a great example of a group that played during the beginning of the "Tall WR phase", but nobody came close to them in the attributes list above. and we currently have guys playing today. OBJ, Cooks, Edelman ... heck the whole NE group sans their TE's, Antonio Brown, Garcon, DJax, etc... All of these guys are 6' or shorter, yet have a profound impact on their own offense and the league as a whole. And i didn't mention all of them, but my point is that they all start at the top of that list in their attributes.

Yes ... there are they guys who have the "total package" such as J.Jones, Green, etc. But those guys don't grow on trees and I don't necessarily believe that you HAVE to HAVE those "freaks" on your offense to make your WR corps good. Does it help? Sure ... but give me guys who have #'s 1-4 first, and I can guarantee your passing game will not be inefficient, lack big plays or hold your offense back. I do prefer WR's to be at least 5'10" or above though. But there have been a few that if they have #'s 1-3 are still good WR's. Also... like NE does, you make up the "height" with your TE's ... who also have the first 5 on the list.

I think R.Woods is going to be great in SM's system because of the fact that he matches #'s 1-4. He is going to move the chains and at times make some big plays. If Tavon had #'s 1, 2 and 4 ... I think he could be just as most think ... kinda a DJax type player. But he does lack in those first couple #'s and i think that hurts him as a "true" WR. I think we are going to add someone in this draft that will at least address the #'s 5 & 6. Deep draft with some guys who do give you some of what most are looking for. (Godwin, Schuster, Z.Jones, Henderson, Reynolds, Ford, Cannon etc.) will provide some kind of boost to the WR corps.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I don't really see the lack of height in WR's being a major +/- as many do. Now of course, you don't want to go with a whole group of 5'10" and shorter guys, but height isn't the main factor in making a good/great WR IMHO. Yes it IS an attribute that can help, but the order in which I value the assets of a good WR are as follows:

1 . Good hands - If you can't catch the ball, then no other attribute is going to matter. Period. I laso like to see at least avg-large hand size
2. Good Route running - If you run good routes, you can make up for speed and get yourself open. Also helps overcome lack of height
3. Explosion/Triangle #'s - If you have explosive lower body and change of direction, it helps w/#2 on my list and will give you leaping ability
4. Toughness - Having the mindset and physical ability to go into traffic and will to make the ball your's.
5. Speed - If you have 1,2,3 &4 above... + speed. you then have RAC ability which leads to bigger plays.
6. Height - Height is a great + to have... but if you don't have at least 1, 2, and 4 above you are just gonna be a novelty IMHO. I think we can use a guy lie BQ as an example.

There are many many instances of Good-Great WR's currently and not so distant past that were not BIG WR's ... but damn they were/are good and difference makers for their teams. Going back to our own trio during the GSOT (Bruce/Holt/Hakeem) were a great example of a group that played during the beginning of the "Tall WR phase", but nobody came close to them in the attributes list above. and we currently have guys playing today. OBJ, Cooks, Edelman ... heck the whole NE group sans their TE's, Antonio Brown, Garcon, DJax, etc... All of these guys are 6' or shorter, yet have a profound impact on their own offense and the league as a whole. And i didn't mention all of them, but my point is that they all start at the top of that list in their attributes.

Yes ... there are they guys who have the "total package" such as J.Jones, Green, etc. But those guys don't grow on trees and I don't necessarily believe that you HAVE to HAVE those "freaks" on your offense to make your WR corps good. Does it help? Sure ... but give me guys who have #'s 1-4 first, and I can guarantee your passing game will not be inefficient, lack big plays or hold your offense back. I do prefer WR's to be at least 5'10" or above though. But there have been a few that if they have #'s 1-3 are still good WR's. Also... like NE does, you make up the "height" with your TE's ... who also have the first 5 on the list.

I think R.Woods is going to be great in SM's system because of the fact that he matches #'s 1-4. He is going to move the chains and at times make some big plays. If Tavon had #'s 1, 2 and 4 ... I think he could be just as most think ... kinda a DJax type player. But he does lack in those first couple #'s and i think that hurts him as a "true" WR. I think we are going to add someone in this draft that will at least address the #'s 5 & 6. Deep draft with some guys who do give you some of what most are looking for. (Godwin, Schuster, Z.Jones, Henderson, Reynolds, Ford, Cannon etc.) will provide some kind of boost to the WR corps.
Sir, this gets my vote for post of the year. I award you 100 Internets.

download.jpg
giphy (1).gif

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Sir, this gets my vote for post of the year. I award you 100 Internets.

View attachment 19140 View attachment 19141
Oh ...well thanks! I doubt it's rated that high, but I do think there is merit in my logic. I think we are all going to be pleasantly surprised. Even without having a 1st Rd. pick, I see us being able to get some guys to fill our holes/needs to get this train rolling. There are lots of WR's I see in this draft that can come in and complete this unit and all should be available between Rd's 2-4. My main concern and "want" is a guy with the 1-5 #'s. If we get one who also has #6 .. .then we are truly blessed. We just need to see what they do with the #37 pick. there is a LOT of potential there to seriously finish of our WR corps rebuild, IMHO.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
FWIW...in terms of our smallish secondary matching up in terms of size...
When you look at the current depth charts of our division rivals at WR:

AZ- Fitzgerald(6'3"), John Brown(5'10"), JJ Nelson(5'10"), Brittan Golden(6'0")

SEA- Doug Baldwin(5'10"), Jermaine Kearse(6'1"), Tyler Lockett(5'10"), Paul Richardson(6'0")

SF- Bruce Ellington(5'9"), P. Garcon(6'0"), Marquise Goodwin(5'9")

Larry Fitzgerald(6'3") is the only WR with good size. The rest of these guys are all 5'10 - 6' targets.
Not a whole lot of size in the division anymore(which includes our Rams with Britt and Quick gone).

Draft pending of course.

I'd like to think that coaches look hard within their division for matchups when forming a roster. This could be another reason that the Rams are willing to shop TruJ(?)

The additions of K.Webster, Nick Robey Coleman, moving Joyner to FS etc...
Having a big DB like Tru who can make plays is a luxury in the NFL...but the Rams could be looking to put together a secondary that can cover all these smaller weapons within the division. Just a thought.
FWIW, All the WR's I would like to see the Rams get(5 in total) are all 6ft 2 or better, with one exception and he's 6ft 1!!
Of course these^^ don't count the WR's we have no shot at, with out a trade up!(y);):D

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Just think....we just happened to grab Woods....At this moment, we only think McVay will keep our roster the same on offense. But I think we both know the receiver room will be different in 2018. I also think the db's are changing....I always believe you need a very quick nickle corner...smaller size appears to be an advantage in there....but we don't really know what our corners are gonna end up looking like...FS either...We just need to wait and see...