NFC West Q&A: Does Jared Goff make the Rams a title contender?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...es-jared-goff-make-the-rams-a-title-contender

Nick Wagoner

Today's question: The Los Angeles Rams believed they were a quarterback away from turning the corner and becoming a contender. Now that they have Jared Goff, does the rest of the NFC West agree?

Josh Weinfuss, Arizona Cardinals reporter: Yes, but with a caveat. Goff will need two or three seasons to be the type of quarterback who can take the Rams to the next level. As long as the team keeps its defense together, Los Angeles can have a contender by 2018. The Rams have a defensive nucleus -- with Aaron Donald, Robert Quinn and Alec Ogletree -- that complements Goff. Even with Quinn and Ogletree coming off injury, the Rams allowed the third-fewest touchdowns in the NFL, while forcing 20 fumbles and recovering 11 -- both the sixth most in the NFL. And that stout defense recorded 41 sacks last season -- the most in the NFC West. Six of their nine losses were by two touchdowns or less, and of those six, four were by less than a touchdown. Goff can be the difference there. So, Goff has the defensive infrastructure to win. And on offense, he has a ton of young talent led by Todd Gurley. Complementing Gurley will be running back Tre Mason, wide receiver Tavon Austin and tight end Jared Cook. The talent is there, and Gurley can take some of the pressure off Goff, but the Rams need a captain to guide their ship.

Paul Gutierrez, San Francisco 49ers reporter: On the bright side for the 49ers, at least the NorCal-SoCal rivalry is born again with the Rams being rechristened as the Los Angeles Rams. But unless that new quarterback is a reincarnation of Vince Ferragamo, the only QB to take the L.A. Rams to a Super Bowl, how does this change things for them? Granted, the strength of the Rams is their defense in general, Aaron Donald in particular. So they don’t necessarily need Goff to be Kurt Warner, the only QB to win a Super Bowl for the franchise (in St. Louis). Keep in mind, Jeff Fisher is still the coach and the next time he guides the Rams to a winning record will be the first. In fact, he has had only two seasons where his team has won more than eight games since 2004, and that was in Tennessee. Indeed, Fisher is 3-4-1 with the Rams against the 49ers. Yes, Goff was the No. 1 overall draft pick for a reason, and there will be some serendipity going on with his first official NFL pass completion in the Niners’ home; Goff’s father, Jerry, got his first MLB hit for the Montreal Expos in the Niners’ previous home, Candlestick Park, in 1990. Goff the younger should be the least of the rebuilding Niners’ problems in 2016.

Sheil Kapadia, Seattle Seahawks reporter: The Rams ranked 29th in offensive efficiency last season. Finding a quarterback is a step in the right direction, but that assumes they will successfully develop Goff into a quality starter. And even if that happens, it’s likely to take two or three years. There may be no bigger “prove it” coach in the NFL than Jeff Fisher. He’s now gone six straight seasons without producing a team with a winning record, which is quite a remarkable feat. In his last 11 seasons as a coach, Fisher’s teams have finished above .500 just twice. In the Rams' perfect world, Goff develops, Todd Gurley reaches his ceiling and they continue to build on a talented defense. But contender status still seems like it’s at least a couple years away -- even if everything goes right.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I smell fear. And it is delicious. :mrburnsevil:

Edit: by the way Josh whine-puss, we dumped Jared Cooked. Do some homework, huh, son?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
They hate Fisher in San Francisco and Seattle. It's easy to see their hate in these responses too. I love it.

The Arizona "reporter" is a clown and is clueless.

Bitches.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love how these whiny bitch reporters try to act as though they are giving reasoned analysis, saying how bad our team is..and how far away it is from being a contender, and we keep kicking their home team's collective asses.....The best win of the year last year, was at Clink...:yess:

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Jared Cook lol. Your opinion becomes moot when you say that. Because unless you know something about the team, you don't get to judge. And he clearly doesn't know anything about our roster moves outside of adding Goff.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
But will most of that defense still be there in 2018? I don't know the Rams cap situation, but you can't pay everybody.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But will most of that defense still be there in 2018? I don't know the Rams cap situation, but you can't pay everybody.
Donald will get paid and paid a lot. I'm not sure about Brockers. Quinn is signed through then iirc. The secondary is the question, we have been drafting well back there. It's just a question if we can keep it up to continually replace free agents in house.

jap

Legend
Josh Weinfuss, Arizona Cardinals reporter: Yes, but with a caveat. Goff will need two or three seasons to be the type of quarterback who can take the Rams to the next level. As long as the team keeps its defense together, Los Angeles can have a contender by 2018. The Rams have a defensive nucleus -- with Aaron Donald, Robert Quinn and Alec Ogletree -- that complements Goff. Even with Quinn and Ogletree coming off injury, the Rams allowed the third-fewest touchdowns in the NFL, while forcing 20 fumbles and recovering 11 -- both the sixth most in the NFL. And that stout defense recorded 41 sacks last season -- the most in the NFC West. Six of their nine losses were by two touchdowns or less, and of those six, four were by less than a touchdown. Goff can be the difference there. So, Goff has the defensive infrastructure to win. And on offense, he has a ton of young talent led by Todd Gurley. Complementing Gurley will be running back Tre Mason, wide receiver Tavon Austin and tight end Jared Cook. The talent is there, and Gurley can take some of the pressure off Goff, but the Rams need a captain to guide their ship.

Quinn and 'Tree are back. Are your QB's gonna remain healthy this year?

Paul Gutierrez, San Francisco 49ers reporter: Indeed, Fisher is 3-4-1 with the Rams against the 49ers.

He will be 5-4-1 after this season.

Sheil Kapadia, Seattle Seahawks reporter: In the Rams' perfect world, Goff develops, Todd Gurley reaches his ceiling and they continue to build on a talented defense. But contender status still seems like it’s at least a couple years away -- even if everything goes right.

You know the Horns swept your team last year, do you not? The offense still has to sort itself out this season, but it cannot be anything but better.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The thing is - Goff doesn't need to be at full development to make the Rams a contender. They have been in most games despite horrendous QB play - including beating divisional rivals. A bit of improvement would be huge for the team's record. He doesn't have to be a pro bowler, he just needs to be a legit NFL starter.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The point is, we don't accept the premise.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Somebody needs to upgrade their knowledge of the Rams roster....I seriously doubt that Mason will be much help, even if he's a Ram...I'm ABSOLUTELY sure that Cook won't be a factor (you have to be on the roster for that don't you ???)

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I dont know which was the dumber statement, that Jared Cook is a Ram or that JC is a talented weapon. Because he is neither!