NFC West offseason: Several key 49ers may be set free/USAToday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
NFC West offseason: Several key 49ers may be set free
By Lorenzo Reyes, USA TODAY

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...draft-cardinals-rams-49ers-seahawks/22980675/

Now that the 2014 NFL season is over, it's time to take a look into preparations for the 2015 season with the NFL scouting combine less than two weeks away in Indianapolis. This is one in a series of team-by-team looks at the needs of each NFC team. Other NFC divisions will be posted throughout the day.

ST. LOUIS RAMS

For the second consecutive year, QB Sam Bradford suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament, ultimately dooming the Rams' season. Coach Jeff Fisher has had moderate success reinforcing an already strong defense. But after going 6-10, next year may be the time for Fisher to show marked improvement after three sub-.500 seasons.

Contract issues: The biggest question involves Bradford. He was the final No. 1 draft pick under the previous collective bargaining agreement, which gave him his massive contract. It expires at the end of next season, which means the team has to decide whether Bradford can still be the franchise quarterback. Based on his injury history, the team may take a wait-and-see approach or try to renegotiate his deal to more team-friendly terms. Backup QB Shaun Hill, WR Kenny Britt and TE Lance Kendricks are the Rams' most notable free agents.

Draft pickings: St. Louis is in a good spot with the 10th overall selection in the draft's first round. Cornerback and receiver are potential areas of need, but the Rams could also end up taking a quarterback if they decide to lay the groundwork for life after Bradford.

ARIZONA CARDINALS

For a large chunk of the regular season, they looked like one of the best teams in the league. But debilitating injuries to QBs Carson Palmer and Drew Stanton — not to mention the loss of several key defenders — were too tough to overcome even though Arizona finished with an 11-5 record. But as long as Palmer is good to go to start the 2015 season, the Cardinals should be a playoff contender under Bruce Arians for the next few years in the tough NFC West.

Contract issues: The Cardinals have a few key contributors that will hit the market. NT Dan Williams, CB Antonio Cromartie and ILB Larry Foote, all defensive starters, are set to be free agents. Depending on the asking price, retaining those valuable pieces could go a long way toward keeping the Cardinals competitive.

Draft pickings: The Cardinals need help at linebacker, defensive line and — depending on Cromartie's future — could wind up needing another corner, too. With the 24th selection in the first round, it's safe to expect them to try to pluck a starter at one of those positions.

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

Even though Jim Harbaugh was one of the best coaches in the NFL over the last four seasons, taking the 49ers to three consecutive NFC Championship Games from 2011 to 2013 and one Super Bowl appearance, the front office simply couldn't work through its friction with the coaching staff. So Harbaugh departed for Michigan on the heels of a disappointing 8-8 season. Now former D-line coach Jim Tomsula is charged with getting the 49ers back to the playoffs.

Contract issues: The defense is still talented, but the offense could face a bit of a retooling under the new coaching staff. WR Michael Crabtree, RB Frank Gore and LG Mike Iupati are all free agents who have been instrumental to the Niners' success in the past few seasons. Gore is aging, and San Francisco has a couple of talented replacements in Carlos Hyde and Kendall Hunter, so the team's all-time leading rusher may be expendable.

Draft pickings: Perhaps no team in search of a head coach this offseason could offer as much talent to lead as the 49ers. And, thanks to the No. 15 selection in the draft, San Francisco should add another premium player. Offensive and defensive line as well as wideout are areas that could use reinforcement. But GM Trent Baalke usually takes the top player on his board and isn't afraid to grab a player recovering from a major injury sooner than other teams might.

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

A brutally disappointing finish to the Super Bowl will make this offseason seem even longer for the Seahawks. Still, this team should have plenty of confidence entering 2015. The roster is still young, talented and possesses the championship fiber many other franchises lack.

Contract issues: In order to stay among the NFL's elite, the Seahawks have a couple of major deals to work out. QB Russell Wilson is still playing under his rookie deal, which won't expire until the end of the 2015 season. But it's in Seattle's best interest to lock Wilson up with a long-term deal that he's clearly already earned. The Seahawks must also figure out what to do with RB Marshawn Lynch, who is entering the final year of his contract. He's one of the NFL's most productive backs and a vital piece of the locker room, factors that seem likely to trump previous rumors that Lynch was on his way out. Like Wilson, LB Bobby Wagner is in line for an extension if the team can address his contract a year early. CB Byron Maxwell is the club's top free agent.

Draft pickings: The Seahawks could go in a number of directions. The play of WR Chris Matthews in the Super Bowl was a nice story, but the Seahawks may still need to address the position. Corner will be another strong consideration if Maxwell leaves, especially with Richard Sherman and Jeremy Lane facing major offseason surgery.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
"Cornerback and receiver are potential areas of need"

Seriously??? This guys doesn't now squat about the Rams

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
"Cornerback and receiver are potential areas of need"

Seriously??? This guys doesn't now squat about the Rams

Just plain silly is it not. Rams have Jenkins & Johnson entering their 4th season both were 2nd & 3rd rd selections. They have Brandon McGee returning from IR who will be entering his 3rd season. Rams selected 2 CB's in last yrs drafts Joyner in the 2nd rd & Gaines in the 6th both were on the field the majority of the time & both have very bright futures. Then there is Roberson a surprise UDFA who finished several games @ the starter due to injuries by the others & held his own very well.

That is SIX deep @ CB Rams have been this loaded with fine young talent @ CB since the days of Rod Perry, Pat Thomas & Monte Jackson.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I keep seeing articles about how we need to take a CB high, what a load of shit. We need Oline, if these guys knew a damn thing.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
I stopped reading after he said we need a CB and WR. If he doesn't know our team, then he probably doesn't know the rest of the NFC West that well. What a crock.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Yes, set the 49ers free! Then grab a rifle and the hunt begins!

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not sure we're as set a CB as everyone seems to think. Gaines is the only one I think will for sure be here for the long haul. Both Jenkins and Johnson are free agents after this season. They could be on another team in 2016. Have they both proven to be must-sign players for the Rams, deserving of a big contract next year? That's highly questionable to me. How much are you prepared to pay for them if they get big offers from other teams? If they both leave as free agents, how are we looking at CB then? Roberson showed some promise this season, but McGee is JAG.

So while I agree CB may not be an immediate need, it's something I'll bet the Rams are thinking about due to the Jenkins/Johnson contract situations. There's too much uncertainty there for it not to be. Besides, you can never have too many good CB's.

Memphis Ram

Legend
While the Rams have bodies at the position, they could use a stud CB that can better lock down a #1 or #2 WR and basically take him out of the game for the defense to reach the next level, IMO. And currently, that player doesn't exist on the roster.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
While the Rams have bodies at the position, they could use a stud CB that can better lock down a #1 or #2 WR and basically take him out of the game for the defense to reach the next level, IMO. And currently, that player doesn't exist on the roster.
That may be true, but the chances of drafting that db seem somewhat slim and we haven't exactly lit it up with free agent picks at that position.
If that guy is a diamond in the rough round 6 or so I think we find him,but not early on.

Memphis Ram

Legend
That may be true, but the chances of drafting that db seem somewhat slim and we haven't exactly lit it up with free agent picks at that position.
If that guy is a diamond in the rough round 6 or so I think we find him,but not early on.

You never know. Most would have said that chances of drafting Aaron Donald were pretty slim last year, too. If the value is there at the draft selection, such a selection wouldn't surprise me at all. Especially since the 2015 draft isn't just about the 2015 season.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
As long as we resign Britt, WR is deep too. Britt, Quick, Austin, Bailey, and Cook exploiting the middle is really solid. OL is by far and away our biggest need, especially if we lose Barks.

LB'er is a little thin but we often use the nickel and we have a couple hybrid guys that can play in the spot.

QB and OL has to get solved. But I don't wanna spend a high pick on a QB. I like that kid they were looking at, do that.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I'm not sure we're as set a CB as everyone seems to think. Gaines is the only one I think will for sure be here for the long haul. Both Jenkins and Johnson are free agents after this season. They could be on another team in 2016. Have they both proven to be must-sign players for the Rams, deserving of a big contract next year? That's highly questionable to me. How much are you prepared to pay for them if they get big offers from other teams? If they both leave as free agents, how are we looking at CB then? Roberson showed some promise this season, but McGee is JAG.

So while I agree CB may not be an immediate need, it's something I'll bet the Rams are thinking about due to the Jenkins/Johnson contract situations. There's too much uncertainty there for it not to be. Besides, you can never have too many good CB's.

Agree 100% man. Hence why in my last mock after trading back a little I selected Peters in the first. I am not sold on our cb unit. Jenkins and Johnson worry me.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
In the immortal words of Joni Mitchell - "You don't know what you have till it's gone".

I'm a bit at a loss for words that anyone might question Jenkins at CB.

Are you fucking kidding me?

( Thanks for motivating me Stu - got it).

IPad mini still sucks tho. :huh:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Wow we have 2 starting CB positions & SIX CB's .

Rams have 2 starting OT positions & only ONE OT.

Rams have 2 starting OG positions & we have only One OG who is just had his shoulder reconstructed.

So in conclusion Rams have 4 starting OL positions & can only field half of those, but we can field 3 NFL secondaries with our CB cadre.

I just can not see any comparisons:palm:. But I am just the old guy here & have done traditional math that has been used for several thousand yrs until common core arrived.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
This isn't bad, the worst i've seen this off-season was I believe Daniel Jeramiah who said the rams big need was at RB. Seriously? Some people don't even bother doing homework.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I tend to look at NFL defense much like i do NBA defense, although the dynamic is slightly different.
In basketball you want to be your strongest defensively on the perimeter and at the rim(meaning you need a Guard who can lock down opposing Guards and a big man who can defend the rim).

In the NFL, ideally... you need an elite pass rusher at the LOS and an elite corner on the back end.

We could use a stud CB more than a stud LB in my opinion.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow we have 2 starting CB positions & SIX CB's .

We have 3, maybe 4 CBs worthy of starting right now, and two of them could leave the building next year. Plus, you need 3 starting level CB's at a minimum because teams are in nickle more than 50% of the time these days..... and to protect against injury.

O-Line and QB are definitely more immediate needs, but smart teams are always looking ahead at what's coming down the road and CB could become a major issue next year. So picking another CB this year would be a wise thing to do....and that doesn't mean it has to be a high pick.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
As for WRs, until Britt is resigned.... he's not resigned. Kinda obvious, but needs to be said. Bad form to count unhatched eggs.

Until we know that and the condition of Quick, saying we need a #1 WR is totally correct.

Now... if Quick comes back where he left off and Britt resigns and continues where he left off... then no, we likely don't need a WR, but in the absence of that info, I would say that we do need a #1 WR.

Which is why I was saying that if Kevin White dropped to #10, I'd jump at him. His hand catching reminds me of Michael Irvin. He catches EVERYTHING with his hands. He highpoints even crossing patterns, which at the next level, will make even 4 yard gains very difficult to defend. He's going to quickly be a WR that a QB will come to trust as "my guy" because he goes and gets the ball. Contrast that with Amari Cooper who looks like Willie freakin' Mays out there catching everything in his bread basket...

so, yeah. If Quick needs more time or White falls? I'd go off script and go with the talent. The Giants had Victor Cruz and still got Odell Beckham, Jr. Pretty sure they're happy with that, especially once Cruz comes back.

Not saying White falls to us, but if he did...oof.

lockdnram21

Legend
Top needs are qb, qb, qb, qb, ol, cb. We don't have a #1 cb Gaines was a bright spot but Dont think he can be a shut down cb. WR isn't a need at all as far as I'm concerned