NFC West: Needs Filled, Unfulfilled

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
NFC West: Needs filled, unfulfilled
By Tim Yotter

http://stl.scout.com/story/1549686-nfc-west-needs-filled-unfulfilled

This story was originally published on ScoutNFLNetwork.com.

Last year’s biggest challenger to the Seahawks, the Arizona Cardinals, saw plenty of free-agent movement in and out, while the 49ers suffered a major defection of talent and the Rams upgraded their running game significantly.
Las Vegas is betting on only one winning team in the NFC West, and it should come as no surprise it is the conference’s entrant into the Super Bowl the last two years, the Seahawks. Their big move came in acquiring TE Jimmy Graham in a trade to help their passing game.

The rest of the NFC West saw plenty of free-agent movement – some helpful, some that thinned their depth charts.

The Cardinals significantly altered their defense, losing several starters but gaining those back with other signings.

The 49ers lost a ton of talent with retirements and free-agent defections, so new coach Jim Tomsula will have a daunting task in front of him if he plans to keep them relevant in the division.

The Rams are going with a new starting quarterback, but their big play came in the draft when they selected RB Todd Gurley 10th overall. If Nick Foles can adequately fill the quarterback spot, the offense should be upgraded to keep up with their imposing defense and make them relevant again.

So how did the teams of the NFC West do in offseason overall? We take a look at the most significant movements out West.

St. Louis Rams
Last year’s record: 6-10

Vegas over/under on 2015 wins: 8

Top free agent signings: The Rams mostly re-signed their own, including WR Kenny Britt, QB Austin Davis, S Rodney McCleod and TE Lance Kendricks, but the additions of LB Akeem Ayers and DT Nick Fairley should upgrade the defense.
Needs entering draft: RB, G, C, OT, QB, WR, LB

Draft picks: If RB Todd Gurley can stay healthy, he might prove to be a steal, even at No. 10 overall. He broke the two-year drought of no running backs being drafted in the first round and is the latest in line to get “the next Adrian Peterson” tag. This time, the talent comparisons could be legit. Clearly, the Rams were drafting for need in an attempt to upgrade the offense, and that doesn’t have to be a bad thing, but did their first seven picks need to be on offense? Those included Gurley, OTs Rob Havenstein, Jamon Brown and Andrew Donnal, and QB Sean Mannion.

What’s left at need areas: If offense was such a big focus, you would think taking a receiver earlier than the sixth round would have been a bigger priority. Instead, they will rely on Kenny Britt, Tavon Austin and Brian Quick. With all the changes the Rams went through at quarterback last year, it’s understandable that they shipped Sam Bradford and will be relying Nick Foles. Stability should be worth something as Mannion develops, but it remains to be seen if he is ever worthy of starting material. The defensive backfield was left without a drafted upgrade, so that will be another area to watch.

NFC WEST
Arizona Cardinals
Last year’s record: 11-5
Vegas over/under on 2015 wins: 8½
Top free agent signings: After a relatively successful season, the Cardinals lost most of their relevant free agents that have already signed. Gone are CB Antonio Cromartie (New York Jets), DT Darnell Dockett (San Francisco), LB Sam Acho (Chicago), G Paul Fanaika (Kansas City), WR Ted Ginn (Carolina), TE Rob Housler (Cleveland) and DT Dan Williams (Oakland). Most of those aren’t debilitating, but they have thinned the ranks, especially on defense. However, they countered those moves nicely with the signings of LaMarr Woodley (Oakland), LB Sean Weatherspoon (Atlanta), LB Darryl Sharpton (Chicago), DL Cory Redding (Indianapolis), DT Corey Peters (Atlanta), C A.Q. Shipley (Indianapolis) and perhaps the prize of their free-agent class, G Mike Iupati (San Francisco).
Needs entering draft: NT, RB, S, QB, CB
Draft picks: D.J. Humphries could compete for a starting job at right tackle and second-round pick Markus Golden should find at least a rotational role in the front seven. Will RB David Johnson be able to work his way from Northern Iowa into a contributing role in Arizona?
What’s left at need areas: The Cardinals ranked 29th in pass defense last year, yet they still didn’t draft a defensive back, even after losing Cromartie. They were even worse in rushing offense, ranking 31st, so will the additions of Humphries and Johnson be enough for significant improvement? They are running big risks in those two areas, and the future of their quarterback position is also still anyone’s guess.

San Francisco 49ers
Last year’s record: 8-8
Vegas over/under on 2015 wins: 7½
Top free agent signings: A big defection of talent in San Francisco has fans wondering what’s ahead? Justin Smith and Chris Borland retired, and the free-agent defections were massive – G Mike Iupati to Arizona, WR Michael Crabtree to Oakland, WR Stevie Johnson to San Diego, RB Frank Gore to Indianapolis, CB Chris Culliver to Washington and CB Perrish Cox to Tennessee. The main additions were WRs Torrey Smith (Baltimore) and Jerome Simpson (Minnesota), OL Erik Pears (Buffalo), RB Reggie Bush (Detroit) and CB Shareece Wright (San Diego).
Needs entering draft: ILB, WR, CB, NT, G
Draft picks: The 49ers focused first on defense, drafting DT Arik Armstead in the first round, S Jaquiski Tartt in the second round and LB Eli Harold in the third round. The offseason losses in free agency were substantial on defense, so those picks are understandable, but the 49ers’ strength in the 2014 rankings was on defense, ranking in the top seven for overall defense, rush defense and pass defense. Armstead should be a Day One starter, but where Tartt and Harold fit in immediately is to be seen.
What’s left at need areas: For a team that was contending for the NFC title just a few years ago, the 49ers have seen a mass exodus of talent this year. The reality is there might have been too many holes to fill with one draft, even with 10 picks. Cornerback appears to be their biggest weakness, but there remains plenty of roster improvement needed in the coming years for new coach Jim Tomsula.

Seattle Seahawks
Last year’s record: 12-4
Vegas over/under on 2015 wins: 11
Top free agent signings: The losses of G James Carpenter (Jets), CB Byron Maxwell (Philadelphia) and LB O’Brien Schofield (Atlanta) should be glossed to some degree by the additions of CBs Cary Williams (Philadelphia) and Will Blackmon (Jacksonville) and DT Ahtyba Rubin (Cleveland). But before all the free-agent movement started, the Seahawks traded away C Max Unger for TE Jimmy Graham.
Needs entering draft: OL, WR, DE, DT
Draft picks: The Seahawks took a big risk with their second-round pick, DE Frank Clark. He is a good pass rusher but has major character concerns. That risk is even bigger without a first-round pick because of the Graham trade, which should prove great value for Russell Wilson and the Seahawks’ ever-thinning weapons in the receiving game. If third-round receiver Tyler Lockett earns enough reps, the 27th-ranked pass offense should improve even more. The reality is the Seahawks have a well-rounded roster after addressing their few weaknesses in the draft if Clark and Lockett are immediate contributors and either of their fourth-round offensive picks (Terry Poole or Mark Glowinski) find starting spots.
What’s left at need areas: The wide receivers are still thin on top-end talent and the offensive line could still use an upgrade, but the Seahawks have managed to get by with those deficiencies because of their top-ranked defense and running game.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
RB a need entering the draft? Not sure about that statement.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
..... The defensive backfield was left without a drafted upgrade, so that will be another area to watch.....

Yes they dido_O...used a 4th & a 6th 2015 draft picks for Strong Safety Mark Barron.

Not really sure whats he is driving at:huh: ...but Snead & company over the last 3 drafts before this latest one....utilized .....two 2nd rders, two 3rd rders,one 4th rder, one 5th rder, one 6th rder & one 7th rder on the defensive back field. That's 8 draft picks in 3 yrs!:snicker:

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
So much new and different from a real starting QB to key package plugins for GW on defense as we still will have great competitions at all DB positions and also Tree will take that next step to be the defensive leader GW has had in JL and he still has loads to add. More SS' than a team normally has but GW uses the rarest packages utilizing them all.

No way anyone can do anything but guess how all the youth added on OL with smart big maulers that played a long time in pro regimes. Who knows what and when Gurley will bring his magic and with a new OC that has more of an eye for detail especially the way he runs practices. Added new QB coaching and another for help in details . So anybody making a prediction for the Rams is throwing darts at a dartboard and are still negative till they actually see a winning record. Who could blame them , but they are dead wrong.

lockdnram21

Legend
Yes they dido_O...used a 4th & a 6th 2015 draft picks for Strong Safety Mark Barron.

Not really sure whats he is driving at:huh: ...but Snead & company over the last 3 drafts before this latest one....utilized .....two 2nd rders, two 3rd rders,one 4th rder, one 5th rder, one 6th rder & one 7th rder on the defensive back field. That's 8 draft picks in 3 yrs!:snicker:
And teams completed a high percentage throws per game. Me personally I feel a #1 cb was our second biggest need behind o line

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
And teams completed a high percentage throws per game. Me personally I feel a #1 cb was our second biggest need behind o line

I disagree with that. I think they could use a real shutdown corner but if they line is pressuring the QB and the passes are being thrown out quickly, with CBs playing ten yards off.......the problem may not be the play of the corners, but the depth with which Williams has them lining up.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

I don't have a problem with not drafting a CB. After trying to fill needs on the line I don't think there was an upgrade through the draft. Better to see if the incumbents can improve in their second year with GW's system. Hopefully they won't be covering too long with a good pass rush.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
What’s left at need areas: For a team that was contending for the NFC title just a few years ago, the 49ers have seen a mass exodus of talent this year. The reality is there might have been too many holes to fill with one draft, even with 10 picks. Cornerback appears to be their biggest weakness, but there remains plenty of roster improvement needed in the coming years for new coach Jim Tomsula.
Well, for the past 3 years the 9ers have been able to draft players & not even need their services, essentially giving them a "redshirt" year in the pros...We'll get a chance to see if their strategy was successful..I personally like a bunch of players they picked in 2013 & 2014, that didn't play a lick.
I agree with @nighttrain & @Ramrocket ...never saw a real need for a RB....Hell, I don't see a need for a wr either...I did see a need for a RT, LG, and the primary need for a QB...I hope we filled those...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
RB a need entering the draft? Not sure about that statement.
That statement and the fact he spelled McLeod (..'McCleod..') told me he was mailing this article in. He doesn't have a Clue! I mean, really, every team in the NFC West is going to Finish at 8-8 except the Wonderful Seahawks!! (n) gag! puke! vomit! Choke!

nighttrain

Legend
Well, for the past 3 years the 9ers have been able to draft players & not even need their services, essentially giving them a "redshirt" year in the pros...We'll get a chance to see if their strategy was successful..I personally like a bunch of players they picked in 2013 & 2014, that didn't play a lick.
I agree with @nighttrain & @Ramrocket ...never saw a real need for a RB....Hell, I don't see a need for a wr either...I did see a need for a RT, LG, and the primary need for a QB...I hope we filled those...
At the time (Draft Day) , Running back wasnt what i thot was a high priority, but after talking with a few friends that really follow college FB, and reading some opinions, I'm ecstatic with the Todd Gurley pick at #10
train
ps I do feel we filled other needs as well.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm ecstatic with the Todd Gurley pick at #10
Yeah, I didn't think we needed another RB, but I have always thought Todd Gurley was the best player in college football in 2014...And not mad at the pick at all, follows an excellent philosophy BPA.....

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
At the time (Draft Day) , Running back wasnt what i thot was a high priority, but after talking with a few friends that really follow college FB, and reading some opinions, I'm ecstatic with the Todd Gurley pick at #10
train
ps I do feel we filled other needs as well.

Yeah, I didn't think we needed another RB, but I have always thought Todd Gurley was the best player in college football in 2014...And not mad at the pick at all, follows an excellent philosophy BPA.....

Totally agree. RB didn't enter my thought process pre draft but I gotta say I'm real happy with the pick and the way they have built the line.