NFC West Draft Grades - Rams Rated Worst

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Who freaking cares what these guys say. Really?! The only ones that count are Snead, the coaches and the players. This team has not taken a single snap under the new coaching staff, nor has a rookie stepped on the field and every so-called expert thinks this team still sucks. I just wish these turds would hold judgement until this team gets some real games under their belt, and then they can start passing judgement. There has been so much dis-function over the past decade, it can't be turned around in one season, especially with an entirely new coaching staff. I, for one, will not get upset about what these guys say because 99% of them haven't a freaking clue. There are so many moving parts to being a successful football team, and we don't know how all the parts are going to fit until all the players and coaches start camp. Until then, all the pundits can keep yammering about what they think does or doesn't work for the Rams.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
It's for entertainment purpose.

I agree completely. So are mock drafts.

But if that's the case then why do so many people take mock drafts and grades so seriously.

There are "experts" out there who are paid what I presume is decent money and whose roles are made up largely of coming up with big boards and mock drafts. So many column inches, clicks and hours of viewing time on sports networks are dedicated to what is effectively a guessing game. Then fans consume this stuff and go berserk because their team is mocked to take player a instead of player b or a draft expert has player c rated more highly than player d.

Meanwhile very few people seem to accept that the whole thing is a crap shoot and is purely an exercise in entertainment to fill the long harsh cold winter of the offseason. Everyone takes it seriously and we all go through the same motions 12 months later without learning a damn thing.

For example, the Bears moving up 1 spot for Trubisky could end up being a master stroke. In 5 years, Niners fans could be lamenting the fact that they passed on him and took Solomon Thomas instead who could be out of the league by that time.

Nobody has a damn clue about anything yet no one seems to acknowledge that and learn from it. Like I say, we'll all be doing the same thing in 12 months time like the lab rat that keeps choosing the piece of cheese that's hooked up to the battery.

Pisses me off!

Disclaimer: The above was fuelled by scotch and sleep deprivation and isn't aimed at @Ram65 or any of my fine fellow ROD posters.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ultimately, it comes down to how you grade the draft:

If you are only looking at the talent acquired, we will look much worse than the other teams because we don't have a first-round pick.

If however, you are looking at what the teams did with the hands they were dealt, the Rams should come across much better.

I didn't love the John Johnson pick (at that time), because I thought he would be available later. I didn't love that we didn't grab a centre, but understood it more when I found out Toth was hurt. But, to have gotten the talent they did without a first-round pick means that they did a good job with the situation they had going into the draft.

That is worth a solid B to me.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
They just gave the 9ers a gimme they felt like the greatest choke artist of all time deserves a break, well he got a break and nothing more. :poop::poop::poop::poop:x10000000
For Fuck's Sake! It WAS EASY to pick the 9er's draft when you had the draft ammo that team had. Question is/will be ... will it pan out? 9ers needed TON's on both sides of the ball. and although I do like the "names" they drafted, it is yet to se how they fit in with theirs schemes/philosophy ... or did they just pick "names". to tell the truth, I like the Ra,s' coaching a lot better than the 9er's. AndI see the draft picks and FA acquisitions fitting our schemes better. I might be a homer, but what the 9ers have done does not scare me. i think Arizon had a better offseason than the 9ers.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Niners get an A. Well, they got to pick 2 first rounders. One was #3 overall after the Bears took the QB. That's a virtual 2nd overall, fellas.

That would mean my left hand is a virtual pu.........OK wait no. Fuck the 49ers. I need to see them have at least a decade long period of futility. I need to see the new HC and GM set them back, way back.

I want to see them be miserable for years and years.

Who freaking cares what these guys say. Really?!

I don't get it either. But the draft is BIG hype.........I dunno why because you'd think everyone would have already figured out that its a CRAP SHOOT no matter what.

But here we are.........

…..

Legend
I dont think ive seen a draft analyst actually like the Rams draft? Has anyone seen any positive grades on the Rams drafts from anyone?

I saw McShay give us huge props for trading back and still getting Everett and he went on to say Everett was still a good pick at 37. Kiper made mention that Kupp was our best pick

The general consesus seems to be a C grade, which is kinda hard to do in a draft. But without a 1st round pick, it comes with the territory.

Ram65

Legend
I agree completely. So are mock drafts.

But if that's the case then why do so many people take mock drafts and grades so seriously.

There are "experts" out there who are paid what I presume is decent money and whose roles are made up largely of coming up with big boards and mock drafts. So many column inches, clicks and hours of viewing time on sports networks are dedicated to what is effectively a guessing game. Then fans consume this stuff and go berserk because their team is mocked to take player a instead of player b or a draft expert has player c rated more highly than player d.

Meanwhile very few people seem to accept that the whole thing is a crap shoot and is purely an exercise in entertainment to fill the long harsh cold winter of the offseason. Everyone takes it seriously and we all go through the same motions 12 months later without learning a damn thing.

For example, the Bears moving up 1 spot for Trubisky could end up being a master stroke. In 5 years, Niners fans could be lamenting the fact that they passed on him and took Solomon Thomas instead who could be out of the league by that time.

Nobody has a damn clue about anything yet no one seems to acknowledge that and learn from it. Like I say, we'll all be doing the same thing in 12 months time like the lab rat that keeps choosing the piece of cheese that's hooked up to the battery.

Pisses me off!

Disclaimer: The above was fuelled by scotch and sleep deprivation and isn't aimed at @Ram65 or any of my fine fellow ROD posters.

Hope you enjoyed your Scotch and got some sleep. Yup it's a crap shoot and we will be doing again next year. I don't take these grades seriously but I always feel better when they like the Rams drafts. I have really enjoyed the NCAA/Draft section here at the ROD. The guys that make the mocks really help me get to know prospects. The bantering back and forth about prospects is really fun to read and participate in. I got to study many of the Rams picks before the draft. This was a really good year for some of the ROD Mockers but all did a great job.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We drafted a bunch of small school guys and had no first round pick. The grades aren't a surprise. We'll be vindicated in the end imo.

Really?

He probably won't be asked ask to do inline blocking much at all. I do expect him to be involved in the passing game early on. My guess is that McVay will have some plays for him to run from the slot and in motion. He can run a TE screen too. It's a new offense for everyone to learn. Everett scored a respectable 25 on the wonderlic test so he can learn the plays. McVay is not going to waste his talent on the bench. Everett will need coach on refining his routes and breaks as many small school draftees don't get the best coaching.

The question isn't what McVay wants. It's what Everett is capable of doing. He may not be ready to play. Merlin is right. TE is a tough position to transition to as a rookie.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Ultimately, it comes down to how you grade the draft:

If you are only looking at the talent acquired, we will look much worse than the other teams because we don't have a first-round pick.

If however, you are looking at what the teams did with the hands they were dealt, the Rams should come across much better.

I didn't love the John Johnson pick (at that time), because I thought he would be available later. I didn't love that we didn't grab a centre, but understood it more when I found out Toth was hurt. But, to have gotten the talent they did without a first-round pick means that they did a good job with the situation they had going into the draft.

That is worth a solid B to me.

And trading down to the middle of the 2'nd round while still getting McVay's 'guy', and a 3'rd, ... priceless.

National media is clueless to our needs, and will remain so until we prove to the league how consistently dangerous we are, and that comes this year !

Last edited:

Zero

Pro Bowler
*whistling past the graveyard.....

The World According to LoyalRam
teen-talk-end-of-the-world-maya-2012.jpg

Zero

Pro Bowler
Season over. Let's just hope the 2018 draft gets good grades from the media that's all that matters.
Merlin,Read you loud and clear Bro.
I have come to a conclusion concerning the Rams draft.
Maybe we could taken this guy a little later and maybe we could have
drafted that position group and so on.But what it all boils down to is that
I really don't give a shit,because the Rams will be moving the football next year.
They will be moving the ball in a way that we never would have imagined under Fisher.
I don't know about you ,but I think I might just enjoy the hell out of that
.:cheers:

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...t-grades-49ers-gm-john-lynch-bolsters-defense

NOTABLE PICKS

BEST PICK: Solomon Thomas, DE, Stanford
San Francisco 49ers, Round 1, No. 3 overall

The 49ers desperately needed a pass rusher with a nonstop motor and explosive athletic attributes to solidify a defensive line that's brimming with young talent. Thomas is an Energizer Bunny with outstanding hand skills and first-step quickness. He can rush from the edge on early downs and slide inside in obvious passing situations to abuse offensive guards with his dynamic game. He could be the 49ers' version of Michael Bennett in their new defense, which is a scary thought for the rest of the NFC West.

MOST SURPRISING PICK: Reuben Foster, LB, Alabama
San Francisco 49ers, Round 1, No. 31 overall

The arrival of Foster should fill the void created by Patrick Willis' retirement a few seasons ago. The Alabama standout is a heat-seeking missile between the tackles and his knack for putting big licks on runners will change the way teams attack the 49ers' defense. With Foster also showing outstanding awareness, instincts and ball skills in coverage, the 49ers snagged a blue-chip player at a bargain basement price at the bottom of the first round.

BIGGEST SLEEPER: Malik McDowell, DT, Michigan State
Seattle Seahawks, Round 2, No. 35 overall

There's no denying McDowell's talents as a disruptive interior defender, but the Michigan State star failed to dominate Big Ten competition consistently due to a low-revving motor that frustrated every coach and scout that peeped the tape. In Seattle, however, he steps into a locker room where he will be held accountable for his performance and production by his peers, which could spark the ultra-talented playmaker to play up to his potential. If he simply raises his exertion level and competes like a mad man, McDowell could emerge as a Pro Bowl-caliber playmaker early in his career.

TEAM GRADES

NOTE: Draft classes are ranked from best to worst within the division.

1) San Francisco 49ers

» Round 1: (No. 3 overall) Solomon Thomas, DE, Stanford; (No. 31) Reuben Foster, LB, Alabama.
» Round 2: (66) Ahkello Witherspoon, CB, Colorado.
» Round 3: (104) C.J. Beathard, QB, Iowa.
» Round 4: (121) Joe Williams, RB, Utah.
» Round 5: (146) George Kittle, TE, Iowa; (177) Trent Taylor, WR, Louisiana Tech.
» Round 6: (198) D.J. Jones, DT, Mississippi; (202) Pita Taumoepenu, OLB, Utah
» Round 7: (229) Adrian Colbert, DB, Miami

Credit John Lynch for knocking it out of the park in his first draft as the 49ers' general manager. The former broadcaster landed a pair of blue-chip players in the first round after convincing the Chicago Bears to cough up a boatload picks for the No. 2 overall selection. Thomas gives the 49ers a slippery pass rusher with dynamic skills as an inside/outside rusher. Foster is a menacing linebacker with a nasty demeanor and some serious "thump" to his game. He fills a void on the second level that's been missing since Patrick Willis retired a few years ago. Williams is a rugged runner with the speed to take it the distance. C.J. Beathard is a bit of a head-scratcher as a developmental quarterback prospect. GRADE: A

2) Arizona Cardinals

» Round 1: (No. 13) Haason Reddick, LB, Temple.
» Round 2: (36) Budda Baker, S, Washington.
» Round 3: (98) Chad Williams, WR, Grambling St.
» Round 4: (115) Dorian Johnson, OG, Pittsburgh.
» Round 5: (157) Will Holden, OT, Vanderbilt; (179) T.J. Logan, RB, North Carolina.
» Round 6: (208) Rudy Ford, S, Auburn.

The Cardinals continue to collect hybrids for their multi-faceted defense. Reddick can play multiple spots as an inside linebacker with edge-rush skills. He could have a stellar rookie season, starring in their exotic packages. Baker is a Tyrann Matheiu clone with exceptional instincts and awareness. He might be the best slot corner in the draft, which is a huge asset to a team that loves to attack with blitz pressure from all angles. Williams came off the board sooner than most expected but the All-SWAC pass catcher has a combination of size, speed and ball skills that could make him a solid WR2 in the Cardinals' scheme. Logan is an electric returner with outstanding speed and burst. He could enhance their return units and fill a role as an RB3. GRADE: B+

3) Seattle Seahawks

» Round 2: (35) Malik McDowell, DT, Michigan St.; (58) Ethan Pocic, C, LSU.
» Round 3: (90) Shaquill Griffin, DB, Central Florida; (95) Delano Hill, SS, Michigan; (102) Nazair Jones, DT, North Carolina; (106) Amara Darboh, WR, Michigan.
» Round 4: (111) Tedric Thompason, FS, Colorado.
» Round 6: (187) Michael Tyson, S, Cincinnati; (210) Justin Senior, OT, Mississippi St.
» Round 7: (226) David Moore, WR, East Central (OK); (249) Christopher Carson, RB, Oklahoma St

The Seahawks don't mind gambling on talented prospects with prototypical physical traits and inconsistent games. McDowell is a boom-or-bust prospect with immense talent and potential. His production at Michigan State doesn't reflect a big-time playmaker because of his low-revving motor. If the Seahawks can get McDowell to play with more urgency, the ex-Spartan could blossom into a Pro Bowl performer. Jones is also an enigmatic talent with Pro Bowl traits but scant production. The 300-pounder flashes as a disruptive tackle, but coaches will want to see him play with more energy and focus as a pro. If the light comes on for Jones, he could shine in the Seahawks' scheme. Offensively, Pocic should shore up a hole in the middle. He's a versatile interior blocker with size and strength. Darboh gives the team a sturdy pass-catcher to throw into the rotation as a WR3/WR4. GRADE: B-

4) Los Angeles Rams

» Round 2: (44) Gerald Everett, TE, South Alabama.
» Round 3: (69) Cooper Kupp, WR, Eastern Washington; (91) John Johnson, S, Boston College.
» Round 4: (117) Josh Reynolds, WR, TexasA&M; (125) Samson Ebukam, OLB, Eastern Washington.
» Round 6: (189) Tanzel Smart, DT, Tulane; (206) Sam Rogers, FB, Virginia Tech.
» Round 7: (234) Ejuan Price, DE, Pittsburgh.

The Rams wanted to add weapons around their young franchise quarterback, Jared Goff, to help him grow into a playmaker at the position. Everett is a hybrid tight end with size, speed and ball skills. He could play the Jordan Reed role in Sean McVay's offense as a versatile pass catcher on the perimeter. Kupp, a polished route runner with strong hands and superb ball skills, could occupy a big role as a WR3 in the Rams' passing attack. Johnson gives Wade Phillips a dynamic safety with cornerback-like skills. He could be a surprise starter in the secondary as a rookie. Ebukam is an athletic freak with the physical tools to emerge as a rotational player early in his career. GRADE: C

Follow Bucky Brooks on Twitter @BuckyBrooks

On the surface of things, that sounds about right.
Dead last in the NFC West.

Ram65

Legend
We drafted a bunch of small school guys and had no first round pick. The grades aren't a surprise. We'll be vindicated in the end imo.

The question isn't what McVay wants. It's what Everett is capable of doing. He may not be ready to play. Merlin is right. TE is a tough position to transition to as a rookie.

I'm not surprised by the grades. I am surprised that you and Merlin think Everett may not or will not be ready to play. Everett doesn't have to play the traditional TE roll. I expect Everett will get on the field. Here is an article that shows 2nd round TE have played.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/rookie-impact-tight-ends/
Making Your Mark

While getting on the field on an every-down basis may be difficult for tight ends, a few rookies have made solid contributions in part-time roles. Jordan Reed and Zach Ertz were good examples of this last season as they graded at +11.9 and +10.8, respectively, as both players made an impact in the passing game while supplying stellar run blocking. Kyle Rudolph had a comparable first season in 2011, with his +12.9 grade largely due to his work in the running game (+9.5).

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I dont think ive seen a draft analyst actually like the Rams draft? Has anyone seen any positive grades on the Rams drafts from anyone? Not that it matters but seems everyone is ripping on the Rams picks. The grades have been pretty harsh. Our draft wasnt worse than a solid B.

The Rams didn't have a first & gave up a 3rd as well.

I think The Rams did well.As far as a grade ?? I like they got John Johnson for free , plus got Everett .

Really hard to judge right now . This guy from E. Washington could be a nice steal(sleeper) 4.40 for a guy coming off the edge is nice . Barwin is only signed for a year. He has time to develop into a good pass rusher , play special teams.

Kupp & Reynolds were good pick ups.

McVY really liked Everette

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not surprised by the grades. I am surprised that you and Merlin think Everett may not or will not be ready to play. Everett doesn't have to play the traditional TE roll. I expect Everett will get on the field. Here is an article that shows 2nd round TE have played.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/rookie-impact-tight-ends/
Making Your Mark

While getting on the field on an every-down basis may be difficult for tight ends, a few rookies have made solid contributions in part-time roles. Jordan Reed and Zach Ertz were good examples of this last season as they graded at +11.9 and +10.8, respectively, as both players made an impact in the passing game while supplying stellar run blocking. Kyle Rudolph had a comparable first season in 2011, with his +12.9 grade largely due to his work in the running game (+9.5).

Everett is coming from South Alabama, hasn't played that much football, and is pretty raw. It's not about playing the traditional TE role. It's about understanding the nuances of our passing attack and the route tree well enough to see the field. None of us know if Everett will.

Say what you will about Jordan Reed, but he played QB at Florida in a pro style offense before moving to TE. IMO, he was more mentally prepared for the pro game.

I hope Everett is ready to contribute this year, but I'm not going to convince myself that it's definitively going to happen.

Ram65

Legend
I Know better than to try and convince you that Everett will contribute. It's my gut feeling that McVay will do everthing he can to help Everett get on the field.