New Scenario Mock - David Shaw

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm sorry guys, I'm making a hundred of these but I'm trying to distract myself from what a gigantic kick in the nuts this season has been by looking to the future...yet again. After seeing how we played against Cincy, I'm projecting us to only win 1 more game.
Hire
David Shaw HC
John DeFilippo OC
Mike Smith DC

In this scenario, Hue Jackson takes a different job. I don't know if Shaw is willing to leave Stanford but if he does, I think the Rams make a lot of sense. They have a strong defense and a great running back. That's how Shaw prefers to win. Shaw came up in the NFL under guys like John Gruden and Brian Billick. He worked under Jim Harbaugh at Stanford before taking over and has been very successful...even in the post-Andrew Luck years. DeFilippo is more of me hoping than it seeming likely. I have no idea who Shaw would hire but I've been highly impressed with what DeFilippo has done with the Browns passing attack this year considering nobody thought they had anything at QB, WR, or TE coming into the year. On defense, Mike Smith worked with Shaw in Baltimore, has been successful as a 4-3 DC, and interviewed for a DC job last year so it seems like he's still willing to work as a DC.

Cut
Jared Cook TE
Rodger Saffold OG
Kenny Britt WR
Chris Long DE
Nick Foles QB

Re-sign
Janoris Jenkins - 5 years $55 million (after being franchised)
Trumaine Johnson - 4 years $32 million
Rodney McLeod - 3 years $10.5 million
Greg Zuerlein - 1 year $2 million
Will Hayes - 2 years $6 million
Tim Barnes - 2 years $2 million
Daren Bates - RFA Tender
Benny Cunningham - RFA Tender
Cody Davis - RFA Tender
Cory Harkey - 2 years $4 million
Brian Quick - 1 year $1.5 million

Jenkins is franchised and then agrees to a long term deal. We let Barron walk because he doesn't have a spot in the new scheme. I hate letting Chris Long go but he's getting paid too much for the production he's given us the past two years. While Foles doesn't save us much money, he just doesn't have a place on this team anymore. Too much of a liability. Sean Mannion will be the backup The rest of the guys that we let go and kept are pretty logical. Quick might be the only questionable one but we might as well give him a cheap "prove it" deal and see if he can do better with better QB play.

Free Agency
travis-benjamin-11-of-the-cleveland-browns.jpg

Travis Benjamin WR - 5 years $40 million

Mitchell-Schwartz.jpg

Mitchell Schwartz OG/OT - 4 years $18 million

102913_Curry_600.jpg

Vinny Curry DE - 3 years $15 million

Akiem-Hicks-2.jpg

Akiem Hicks DT - 2 years $4 million

I want Anquan Boldin but thinking about it from his point of view, why would Boldin want to come to St. Louis rather than spend his last couple years with a contender? We bring in DeFilippo and Travis Benjamin follows along. We give him a contract identical to the one Torrey Smith received from the 49ers. Is this a risky signing? Yes. Benjamin should put up 1000+ yards this year under DeFilippo in Cleveland but prior to this year, he hasn't done much. Still, Benjamin is a major deep threat with game breaking speed on the edge. Why not Alshon? He's getting franchised.

I think Schwartz has a lot of potential for the team that signs him. Again, he follows DeFilippo here but instead of playing RT, we move him inside to his more natural spot of OG. He's struggled this year with speed on the edge in pass pro but like his brother Geoff (who wasn't used up to potential early on at RT), he has all the tools to be a great OG. Again, this signing has some risk because Schwartz hasn't lived up to his potential in Cleveland but I think the move to OG will suit his game and show how good he can be.

Vinny Curry steps in to replace Long. He will rotate with Hayes and Westbrooks at LDE and give Quinn a breather at RDE. Has been a fairly productive pass rusher in the Eagles 3-4 scheme the past two years with 9 sacks in 2014. I think he's a better fit in the 4-3 so there's potential for him to step up and take the starting LDE job here. He's a good fit for Smith's scheme and still has some untapped potential.

Like Curry, Akiem Hicks has untapped potential and offers us some size and athleticism behind Donald and Brockers as a rotational DT. I'm hoping we can hold onto Waufle and if we do, Hicks fits what Waufle looks for in DTs in terms of size (6'5" 325) and athleticism. Has some potential but even if he doesn't reach it, we need a guy to give Brockers and Donald a breather. He can do that much.

Trade
Rams trade Round 1 Pick #7, 2017 1st, 2017 4th
Chargers trade Round 1 Pick #3

The Browns select QB Paxton Lynch in the top 2 and the Titans have no need for a QB but they stand pat to draft an elite player...although, it's possible they could be a trade partner if they're willing to move down. We offer the same package that Buffalo offered for Sammy Watkins a couple years ago to move up. The Chargers have Philip Rivers so they're willing to move down a few slots and take future picks since it'll offer them a chance to use that extra first round pick next year to take a QB of the future.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #3 - Jared Goff QB California

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TcwdHWD3YU

Analysis: I currently have Goff rated as my #1 QB with a very slight edge over Paxton Lynch. I think Goff is the more pro ready and safer pick. Yes, he's coming from an Air Raid offense but that assumes that all Air Raid offenses are the same. Goff is asked to make NFL throws, full field reads, and go through NFL style progressions. He does all these things seamlessly. Goff possesses high caliber mental processing speed which allows him to get the ball out on time and move through progressions quickly to find the open man. He's spent his career in college behind a shaky at best OL which has helped him to develop outstanding pocket presence, movement, and poise under pressure. He has active feet and moves in the pocket like a 10 year pro QB. The thing that stands out the most about Goff's game is his accuracy. He throws WRs open, fits the ball into tight windows, and consistently hits the strike zone on passes. He's also sneaky athletic which allows him to escape pressure and run for first downs when the defense gives it to him. He's a patient and cerebral QB that will take whatever the defense gives him. He also has a quick, natural release. One other thing that's appealing to me based on our personnel is that Goff has been surrounded by smaller WRs while at Cal. The "negatives" for him are that he needs to add weight to his thin frame (6'4" 210), be more consistent with his lower body mechanics (pretty much a universal knock against college QBs), and the offense he plays in. He also doesn't have elite arm strength but his arm is easily in the good territory. It's not an issue. However, I think Paxton gets drafted earlier because he offers better physical tools so people will see more upside. Also, David Shaw is familiar with Goff since Stanford and Cal play each other.
NFL Comparison: Philip Rivers

Round 2 Pick #7 - Hunter Henry TE Arkansas

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8roJxXin-w

Analysis: I'm a big fan of Evan Engram but with what DeFilippo has done this year with Gary Barnidge, I think Hunter Henry makes more sense here for his system. Henry has prototypical NFL TE size at 6'5" 250 and has been highly productive for Arkansas this year and throughout his career. He possesses great hands and is known for making tough catches in traffic. He's a very reliable option in the passing game with the acceleration and agility to get open on short to intermediate routes. Doesn't have game-breaking speed but has enough speed to threaten the seam. Basically, he's a good athlete with great hands and size. As a blocker, he's pretty average. Doesn't overpower guys when blocking inline. His fundamentals and technique are pretty sound. They can better but they're not bad. But he's more of a wall them off blocker than a bury them in the dirt blocker. That all said, he's an effective enough blocker due to his size and technique that he won't be a liability if asked to block inline. Not a good pass blocker...but we're not drafting the guy to pass block.
NFL Comparison: Tyler Eifert

Round 2 Pick #10 - Tyler Boyd WR Pittsburgh

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSh6yeGjWs8

Analysis: Boyd is the type of WR that falls on draft day. He's not huge (6'2" 200ish) and doesn't have outstanding straight-line speed. However, he possesses great acceleration, outstanding agility, a high level understanding of the game (high football IQ), advanced route running ability, top tier body control, and a good pair of hands. Boyd will drop some easy passes and his motor can run hot and cold as a blocker but he'll make a lot of difficult catches and is excellent at creating yardage after the catch. Like any college player, his route running needs some development but he's very advanced for a college WR and already uses subtle nuances in his route running that you typically only see in veteran NFL WRs. He's also coming from a pro style offense. I'm a big fan of his and think he's a very underrated player. Extremely productive and consistent throughout his career.
NFL Comparison: Keenan Allen

Round 3 Pick #7 - Scooby Wright III ILB/OLB Arizona

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PUWnNxGqYE

Analysis: According to Arizona, Scooby Wright had 163 tackles, 29 TFLs, 14 sacks, and 6 FFs in 2014 ALONE. Unfortunately for him, he's missed almost this entire season thus far with injuries. This is a kid that doesn't have the NFL look. He's listed at 6'1" 246. I think he'll come in closer to 5'11" 240. But he's a guy that plays with so much passion, relentlessness, and heart that his average athleticism and underwhelming size don't limit his game. He has top tier instincts, great play strength (gym rat), and plays with reckless abandon. Sometimes, that reckless abandon will cause him to miss tackles but it's worth it with how often he's in the back-field making plays. He's Arizona's defensive leader, he is the guy that makes sure everyone is lined up properly, and he's the heart of that defense. They also will move him down to DE on certain passing downs and he's a disruptive, relentless pass rusher. This guy is James Laurinaitis's heir apparent and he can play OLB for the time being. If Wright isn't available, Tyler Matakevich from Temple is also worth considering.
NFL Comparison: Chris Borland

Round 4 Pick #12 - Evan Boehm C Missouri

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWDstknJHEw

Analysis: Boehm fits the Rams' power running style. He's a people mover at Center and that's rare. Mauling run blocker that plays through the whistle. Has a serious mean streak. Smart guy and experienced started in the SEC. Only big question is his game is if he has the pass pro skills to be a NFL Center. His athleticism is a bit limited as his feet are pretty average and he doesn't appear to have long arms. Struggles with quicker DTs that can penetrate quickly in the A gap. If he has the pass blocking chops to play in the NFL, he'll be a quality Center as run blocking is no concern.
NFL Comparison: Ben Jones

Projected Starters
QB: Jared Goff
HB: Todd Gurley
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Travis Benjamin
ZWR: Tyler Boyd
SLWR: Tavon Austin
TE: Lance Kendricks
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: Mitchell Schwartz
C: Tim Barnes
RG: Jamon Brown
RT: Rob Havenstein

LDE: Will Hayes
LDT: Michael Brockers
RDT: Aaron Donald
RDE: Robert Quinn
OLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
OLB: Scooby Wright III
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
SLCB: E.J. Gaines
FS: Rodney McLeod
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

A lot of the same guys but there are some tweaks compared to previous versions. Obviously, I'm a really big fan of Scooby Wright and Tyler Boyd. I think Evan Boehm is good value in the mid rounds and fits our offense well.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
This...is an offseason I can get behind. Good job. I have zero issues with it. I don't think Jenkins wants to stay, though.

rafa

Starter
Name
Rafael
This, surely, has been your best Mock Draft so far. I could live with that easily.
Great Job @jrry32 :mrburnsevil:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This...is an offseason I can get behind. Good job. I have zero issues with it. I don't think Jenkins wants to stay, though.

I think he'll be fine. That's life in the NFL with the franchise tag. As long as he gets what he feels he's worth, he'll do his job.

This, surely, has been your best Mock Draft so far. I could live with that easily.
Great Job @jrry32 :mrburnsevil:

Unfortunately, I'm worried we'll take ourselves out of range for Goff by winning a couple more games.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Coaching
I don't believe that Shaw will leave Stanford. And for the Rams? Unless the Browns clean house again after only a couple of years, I don't see how John DeFilippo leaves Cleveland. And my guess is that Mike Smith (67-49 career record / 57-27 prior to final two seasons) is going to get a head coaching job next year. BTW, did Smith actually interview for a DC spot last year. I read reports that the Raiders had a strong interest, but I never saw anything where he actually did an interview for a DC spot.

Free Agency
They already have Benjamin on the roster in Tavon Austin, if used the same way.
Schwartz would be overkill, IMO and they should let the all the youth they brought in a OG develop with even the possibility of moving Robinson back inside if another LT can be had.

Draft
Like the players, though I'm not sold on Goff. But, while it's hard to figure trades when we have the final draft order, that even increases immensely pre-final draft order.

Last edited:

Athos

Legend
What's your opinion of people criticizing Goff's alleged "ugly spiral?" I like him lot, but some of his passes do seem wobbly.

Is that a feet issue?

Seems like it'd also be cleaned up with more weight. I think he needs to be able to put on about 10lbs. Mariota went up to 222. Goff should be able to as well on an NFL diet and strength plan.

nighttrain

Legend
I think he'll be fine. That's life in the NFL with the franchise tag. As long as he gets what he feels he's worth, he'll do his job.

Unfortunately, I'm worried we'll take ourselves out of range for Goff by winning a couple more games.
sorry i feel this way but I just don't see the Ram's winning except maybe SF
train

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I've been debating whether or not Shaw can overcome the Stanford stank in my mind and the coaches you list that he's been associated with certainly didn't help, especially since it includes one of the biggest douchebags to walk a Whiner sideline. So much 49er influence made me throw up a little in my mouth (but at least not the projectile vomit of the Boldin infatuation, nice to see him gone from the mock). Also Shaw's dad's time here may need some emotional sorting out as well for others. Sad thing is compared to a lot of the "basketball on grass" crap that is the joke Pac12, at least Shaw has some semblance of a running game and defense -- he just might be way too west coast influenced for me personally to get on board.

Athos

Legend
Really like this one man.

Just watched some Henrey. I can see the Eifert comparison. Sure so want a big boy TE with some soft hands and sneaky quickness.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Love everything about this. The only thing that would keep me from being overly excited is the whole issue with Kroenke this year.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm starting to search the college thread for your posts...always enlightening...Sometimes weird...Boyd...hmmm...ND has a bunch of talent on that team...
Mitchell isn't as good as his brother....Not as powerful....Not sure where he'd play with G-Rob & Havenstein....Havenstein looks like a 12 year pro....
I think we need to invest a lil more in the center position(need earlier drafted player)...To me, that is our only clear weak link when our health returns....
Scooby Wright...I hear the hype...I just like the guys in the SEC for MLB...Auburn, Georgia, and Bama a little more....and that guy at ND...can he play MLB?

Goff needs to be the target, but we need to be aware of the alternatives....I seriously like Cook....and Hackenberg....I'm starting to like Hogan....& Brisett...that scrambling element...Lynch & Wentz are mysteries...Bowl season will be interesting again...

Oh, no way the Rams cut Long, Britt, Cook, FOLES,and....Saffold...not in 2016. Re-structure for Long....Maybe Cook....but not cut.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Hey @jrry32 - From my perspective, you are posting them in the right forum that we created just for this kind of stuff. I may not get into these mocks but a lot of people do and I know you put a lot of time in them. I admit that I get irritated with them early in the season but acknowledge that is just me. You and others are providing good content in a forum on the board that I actually can choose to pretty much ignore if I feel like it. Still, I tend to check them out anyway so that I can start to get up to speed on the upcoming draft.

In other words, I appreciate that you say you don't want to inundate the board with these things but you are enjoying yourself and others are enjoying the content. Fire away. And yes - you can quote me here next time I whine about draft talk. :D

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Love the draft, not the coach.
I think Shaw is a perfect college coach. Great recruiter, loads up with big bodies on the lines.
Dont find his defense or offensive to be innovative, but he sure gets his players ready to play.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Well, … your cuts and re-signings are similar to my own mock, so I see where you are going with that. I don't see Foles being cut unless we get a new HC, just too big of a 'dead money' CAP hit, and we'd still need to pay a free agent back-up QB on top of that. Let Foles carry the clip-board in '16 and cut him prior to '17 imo.
I also believe it may cost more to move up from 7 to 3 based on the amount of team competition seeking top quality QB's. Not convinced that Goff won't go 1 or 2 when all is said and done, or that Cleveland wouldn't want Goff for themselves.

I won't get into the HC discussion until Fisher is actually fired.
jmo.

Last edited:

FRO

Legend
Would absolutely be thrilled to get David Shaw. As a Pac 12 guy we may be able to sell him on moving up to get Goff. The Seahawks drafts right after Carrol left USC were their best. I feel he knew the college talent better than anybody. Their recent drafts for the most part has sucked. It may be due to being away from the college game. All speculation on my part.

Love the draft and the offseason.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Love the draft, not the coach.
I think Shaw is a perfect college coach. Great recruiter, loads up with big bodies on the lines.
Dont find his defense or offensive to be innovative, but he sure gets his players ready to play.

It's not innovative. Just an old school pro style scheme. And he's not a perfect coach. I know people complain about how quickly he goes to the ground and pound when Stanford is leading even if the passing attack is working better that day. His game management also isn't perfect. But I think he can be a quality NFL HC even if he isn't elite. And my hope would be that he'd hire an OC with a great mind for the passing game to complement his great mind for the running game. But you never know if a coach is humble enough to do that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Coaching
I don't believe that Shaw will leave Stanford. And for the Rams? Unless the Browns clean house again after only a couple of years, I don't see how John DeFilippo leaves Cleveland. And my guess is that Mike Smith (67-49 career record / 57-27 prior to final two seasons) is going to get a head coaching job next year. BTW, did Smith actually interview for a DC spot last year. I read reports that the Raiders had a strong interest, but I never saw anything where he actually did an interview for a DC spot.

Free Agency
They already have Benjamin on the roster in Tavon Austin, if used the same way.
Schwartz would be overkill, IMO and they should let the all the youth they brought in a OG develop with even the possibility of moving Robinson back inside if another LT can be had.

Draft
Like the players, though I'm not sold on Goff. But, while it's hard to figure trades when we have the final draft order, that even increases immensely pre-final draft order.

I think the Browns are about to clean house again.

Mike Smith may or may not get a HC job. Don't know. There were a bunch of reports saying the Raiders were going to interview Mike Smith for the job.

Benjamin and Austin could be used in different ways to complement each other. Which would benefit the Rams.

Jamon Brown and Wichmann could still compete for one OG spot. It never hurts having depth. We need to add at least one proven player to the OL...or a super talented prospect this off-season.

What's your opinion of people criticizing Goff's alleged "ugly spiral?" I like him lot, but some of his passes do seem wobbly.

Is that a feet issue?

Seems like it'd also be cleaned up with more weight. I think he needs to be able to put on about 10lbs. Mariota went up to 222. Goff should be able to as well on an NFL diet and strength plan.

I don't care. Ugly or pretty, it gets there. Manning and Warner both threw ugly spirals.

FRO

Legend
It's not innovative. Just an old school pro style scheme. And he's not a perfect coach. I know people complain about how quickly he goes to the ground and pound when Stanford is leading even if the passing attack is working better that day. His game management also isn't perfect. But I think he can be a quality NFL HC even if he isn't elite. And my hope would be that he'd hire an OC with a great mind for the passing game to complement his great mind for the running game. But you never know if a coach is humble enough to do that.
One of the most important things in a coaching interview is seeing who the potential candidate has in mind or his back pocket for a staff. If he wants to bring his buddies tell him thank you and move on. I think he would be a great HC.

I also think the ground and pound still works. You just need a competent passing attack to go with it. We don't have that. We aren't close to competent.