NEW: Rams Top 5 Needs Heading to Free Agency/Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

STL-Rams

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
#1-QB-Mission Impossible here to be able to remove this top priority from this list. Next year at this time this will be our #1 priority again. Not finding a young strong back up to Bradford the last 3 yrs looks to be Fisher's Official Achilles Heel. Fisher could if he wants too fix the below four needs, best to make do this off season with doing that & look for the future to resolve this QB issue when it become realistically possible in 2016.

#2-ORT-Fisher does not have a ORT under contract. The only possible OL'er under contract is Barrett Jones who has yet to make it through his first complete TC & pre season healthy.

#3-OLG-If Fisher wants Saffold back @ ORG then he does not have a legit OLG on the roster unless you think Travis Bond is the man.

#4-Swing Reserve OT- Since Fisher's arrival he has lost several starting OT's for long period of time....Fisher does not have a swing OT under contract.

#5-Swing reserve OG- Our one & only legit OG under contract is Rodger Saffold. If Saffold was unable to play our ORG would be Travis Bond.

Fully agree on point No. 1. I can certainly see you are O line focused right now. :) Consider the performance there last year, it would be hard to fault someone for that view (although I wouldn't put backups in my top five for any team on any top five needs list, personally).

As for RT, I feel Barksdale will be back and that is why I did not list RT. Perhaps you (a): didn't see that, (b): don't want to count someone who has yet to be signed or (c) just don't like Barksdale as a starter.

Keep in touch and thanks for commenting.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
There is nothing there that I would disagree with other than perhaps the assertion that the O line has been neglected. The Rams have spent several premium picks on the line in recent years and spent some good money in free agency there, too.

Good to hear from you as well, Blackbart. Sorry for the issues at insidestl. I hope those have been resolved for you.

Hey Shane, I got in there today and got to read the rest of your article, good stuff as always.

Maybe neglected is the wrong term but they certainly have not been able to build a solid healthy core in that unit. I liked using the #2 pick last year on the Oline for Robinson but that is the only premium (rounds 1-3) pick Fisher and Snead have used on the Oline? JLong I really wished he would have worked out but his injury history made that money a big risk that not only did not pay off it cost them the second knee injury to Bradford IMO.

I have been hoping for Barrett Jones to make an impact and he still might, he was decent enough against KC. That would certainly go a ways toward reversing my opinion on what we need for 2015. With Coach Bou being a much celebrated OL coach it would be nice to see what he can do with 3 or 4 blue chips instead of trying to coach up the lesser talented/polished players.

Hindsight is 20 20 so it is hard to fault them for trying but maybe a few more Oline picks and couple fewer dbs and wrs would have them on the rise instead of in shambles.

Alan

Legend
STL-Rams coming up with the right answer:
Good to hear from you, Alan. As for your question, yes I am. I will look at free agency first and then delve into some draft stuff after the combine.
Looking forward to it.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I don't quite understand what you were saying here, OC. Please forgive me, I just didn't comprehend what you were trying to express. I'm sure that is my fault and I apologize for not catching on.

Shane, your too kind...yeah I guess that's what happens when one neglects to proof read his post, I too am confused:D

My (aborted) point was I'm dumb enough to actually believe that while our QB sit-chee-ation at the moment is less than stable I'm of the opinion that Bradford is still the guy, his two injuries were flukes and he'll bounce back with a solid 2015 campaign, frankly I'd be disappointed if the Rams wasted a prime pick on anyone not named Winston, they have far bigger fish to fry in my book.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Many feel CB is a bigger need and I would make no big fuss on that one. As for a TE who can block, both Harkey and Kendricks can do that and at least one will be back. At LB, I can see you feeling that way at the middle, but the Rams like JL and I don't see him being moved or replaced this year.

Thanks for the well wishes and you take care as well.
I just know the Rams are scouting TE's, and CB's, and I think they like a heavy TE system, one of those you mentioned will walk, IMO. I really don't think JL should be replaced, but my point is, they need depth, versatile depth, at LB, but your reasoning is sound. A better way to have said what I said, might be, a Mike who could fill in at the other spots, because I think the Mike is the hardest to find...a quality one. I agree with your other needs, which I should have mentioned.

BTW, for my own preference, I don't like ranking, so much, because I am a big, BPA guy, but I still believe in needs, so I'm not a hardcore, this guy is ranked 10, and this guy 13, guy. If 13 meets the need, I'm fine.

Take care, and keep doing a great job for us Rams fans.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...ams-Needs-Heading-into-Free-Agency-Draft.aspx
Top 5 Rams Needs Heading into Free Agency, Draft

Shane Gray

The St. Louis Rams look to be in the best shape that they have been in for several years regarding potential free agent departures this offseason.

Of their internal free agents, the only players who have a legitimate shot at playing prominent roles in the club's future include unrestricted free agents Kenny Britt (wide receiver), Joe Barksdale (right tackle) and Lance Kendricks (tight end), exclusive rights free agent Cory Harkey (fullback/tight end) and restricted free agent Rodney McLeod (safety).

Assuming St. Louis locks up Britt, Barksdale and one of the two tight ends listed above, the following represents the Rams top five positional needs heading into the 2015 NFL Draft and free agency period.

5. Outside Linebacker

While outside linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar actually played more in 2014 (40.2 percent of snaps) than he did the year prior (39.3 percent), he posted his least productive season since 2009 from a statistical perspective and registered just three of his 36 total tackles in December as the Rams shifted towards a big nickel package more often as the season wore on.

While Dunbar has generally been very solid against the run for St. Louis since arriving as a free agent addition from New Orleans in 2012, he has struggled at times in coverage.

In short, Dunbar is a very upgradeable linebacker. While he isn't killing the Rams defense, he's not helping them as much as a superior performer in his spot could, either.

Considering the overall experience level of the Rams front seven and linebacking corps, I could see the front office leaning towards a draft selection to fortify the spot.

That said, it isn't a shoe-in that Dunbar doesn't hold onto the starting spot in the final year of his contract, especially considering his long history he possesses with defensive coordinator Gregg Williams -- who Dunbar played for while each were with the Saints.

4. Free Safety

(ROD, I hope each of you are doing well. I would be interested to know if you agree or disagree with my top 5 needs areas AND if you agree or disagree with their order. Thanks, as always, ROD):

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...ams-Needs-Heading-into-Free-Agency-Draft.aspx

Another good article Shane.
I would not argue with anything you have there.
I might say free safety is not a huge concern for me now as it was earlier.
I would not mind the Rams signing another tackle. I'm not sure about Long (health or performance wise) and I think Barksdale is upgradable too. And I'm okay with the kid learning, growing where he is.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Fully agree on point No. 1. I can certainly see you are O line focused right now. :) Consider the performance there last year, it would be hard to fault someone for that view (although I wouldn't put backups in my top five for any team on any top five needs list, personally).

As for RT, I feel Barksdale will be back and that is why I did not list RT. Perhaps you (a): didn't see that, (b): don't want to count someone who has yet to be signed or (c) just don't like Barksdale as a starter.

Keep in touch and thanks for commenting.

Yes I am, but that is the usual position for me if you ever come across my past present & sure future, until this ongoing issue is upgraded. I'll just add that the OL issue has just not been this last season either.

The reason for my insertion of the OL reserves needs is due to the amount of injuries the OL has endured since 2012. I have in the past tabulated the amount of OL injuries since 2012 in comparison to other Ram units before, along with the many different OL'ers who have the opportunity to fill in. Once that information is placed before you in black & white it sure does provide powerful evidence as to why I would be focused in on the OL reserves. Lack of OL talent in what few OL reserves still under contract should cause concern to most Ram fans.

The reason I excluded Joe Barksdale in analysis he is not under contract to play for the Rams in 2015. Its that simple. As far as Joe Barksdale being a starter ? Fact is Rams do not have a under contract a non starter OL'er who has played down as a NFL OT, so JB returning is a priority based on that alone. JB's play in 2013 was much better than in 2014. JB is a very solid run blocker & always healthy, however in 2014 JB became an easy target for DC's to attack. The now known JB has weak link in his armament .....place a quick speed pass rusher with a double move just outside his right arms reach .....JB has no answer to keep him from being beat. Even with that Fisher needs JB to return & this weak area will demand assistance in such targeting events by DC's.

As always, its a pleasure to read your comments/posts. I look forward to staying in touch in discussions of my Rams!(y)