New: Rams Reset at QB With Bradford/Foles Trade (4 Point Analysis)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith
I still can't believe that we were able to get what we did from the eagles. It feels like we were permitted to legally commit a felony against them.
Totally agree. When I first heard this news it was 2 minutes old and not clear how bad we fleeced Philly. Originally sounded like WE were giving up the picks. What a hold-up !!!!

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith
You know what? If Foles is not the starter, I'm not so sure the Rams lost this trade as I am not optimistic that Bradford will stay on the field all season. Receiving a 2nd rounder next year, makes me feel a lot better about this trade. Don't get me wrong, I will be extremely disappointed if Foles doesn't start.
I think we still win on the picks received and cap space created ALONE

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Nice article and well done.
I really liked Bradford but I am glad they trading him after he would not restructure his contract. He made a lot of money standing on the sideline eating sunflower seeds and to not restructure was pathetic.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
What I haven't heard pointed out so far is that the Rams have three young QB's who have had excellent games as NFL starters. IMO the focus is not so much on Foles as it is playing the odds that one of them, Keenum, Davis or Foles will show significant progress and take the starting job.
Absolutely. We are the best of at the QB position as a whole as we have been since we had both Green/Warner and the Warner/Bulger days.. And you know another thing that all three QB's bring to the table that Bradford never did?? Atittude. All three of these guys are young and get more fired up. It has been a knock on Sam his whole career. Foles is not over the top, but he definitely shows more emotion and willing to celebrate and praise his teammates .

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
While I think it is Foles' job to lose, it is almost always best to have a legit QB competition unless you are a team in the rare case of having a Brady, Rodgers, Manning, etc...
And that is the thing ... it IS a TRUE competition because ALL of them are playing for the next contract. They are ALL young! Nobody in that QB room can relax. IF they would have kept Sam ... .we all would have had to be skeptical that his salary alone would have made him the starter.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...n-Depth-Look-at-the-Bradford-Foles-Trade.aspx

(I hope everyone is doing great at ROD, the best board around. I have been on stadium duty almost exclusively lately, and that is the only reason why you haven't seen my features here of late. I hope you will enjoy my four point analysis of the Bradford/Foles swap):

Gray: An In-Depth Look at the Bradford-Foles Trade
Shane Gray

Just five years ago, former Oklahoma Sooners Heisman Trophy winning quarterback Sam Bradford was dropping jaws and setting the NFL world abuzz with an astonishing showing at his pre-draft pro day.

Later that spring, the St. Louis Rams released two-time Pro Bowl quarterback Marc Bulger before utilizing the No. 1 overall pick of the 2010 NFL Draft on Bradford.
At the time, Bradford was thrilled to be staying close to his Oklahoma roots in St. Louis for an organization looking for a franchise quarterback and a return to league prominence.

"You have no idea how excited I am just to have the opportunity to come to St. Louis and play my NFL career there," Bradford said. "It's just a blessing and I can't wait to get there and get to work."

In year one, all went as well as expected for No. 8 as he navigated through his rookie year successfully enough to earn the NFL's Offensive Rookie of the Year Award while nearly leading the Rams to a playoff appearance.

From then on, however, came four seasons that yielded a mixed bag of results -- including two injury shortened seasons, a fully aborted campaign and a frustrating mix of fabulous flashes and pedestrian play.

With that brief overview considered, let's break the trade down from a few different angles to see whether the Rams or Eagles look to have came out on top initially.

Performance Perspective

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLcom/STLSports/STLRams/tabid/137/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/16845/Gray-An-In-Depth-Look-at-the-Bradford-Foles-Trade.aspx
[URL='http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLcom/STLSports/STLRams/tabid/137/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/16845/Gray-An-In-Depth-Look-at-the-Bradford-Foles-Trade.aspx[/QUOTE'][/QUOTE[/URL]]

Hi Shane,

Great article...as normal.
Very nice analysis of the trade and the potential for each player and team.

It was a very nice read......helped me pass the time here at the San Diego airport. :)

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Hi Shane,
It was a very nice read......helped me pass the time here at the San Diego airport. :)

RamzFanz

Damnit
This team may even be a better fit for Foles than Bradford. That's not a slam on Bradford, he's the better QB, but with Britt and (hopefully) Quick back, they are the perfect compliment to Foles' long ball throwing style, which is to say, not really accurate but willing to let it rip and let the receivers fight it out.

STL-Rams

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't think it was quick, I think it was a done deal when the trade was made..Does anybody really think that Keenum or Davis will win the job ?? Is it even their's to win ??? I don't think this was ever about 3 young QBs...I think it was about Foles then who is going to be the backup...
Probably so.

STL-Rams

Starter
Hi Shane,

Thank you, my friend. I greatly appreciate that! Hope all is well with you and I'm glad you enjoyed the read.

STL-Rams

Starter
Things are fine Shane and I'm settling in to the new job nicely, and it's nice to see you writing about the Rams, you do the best and most complete job.

I hope Sam does well but I suspect the Eagles and Kelley are going to have egg on their faces eventually.

Thank you, Les. Your words are far too kind but I appreciate them greatly. Keep in touch.

I also hope Sam does well. He's a terrific guy. That said, I have my doubts over the long term.

STL-Rams

Starter
I honestly think this trade was good for both. If Sam stays healthy, he thrives in that system, much like the one he had in Okla with one of the best RBs in the game, and surely Philly will look to add a WR in draft or FA(some good ones in draft) to go with Matthews and Riley. Their run game looks potent. I think injuries are more luck of the draw, and I hope he stays healthy for once, he deserves to.

We made out in a big way financially, and I think Foles is as good in our system as Sam would be. No he doesn't have Sam's arm, but surely good enough. We had an offer we couldn't refuse, and if we FINALLY stay away from the big injuries, we should be a playoff contending team. Truly believe that. thought that with Sam as well. Just a few adds on Oline, and we are there. D will be special- top 3 in my opinion. We are almost there!
I was on a Philly station after the trade talking about the trade and they felt it would end up being a win-win type of trade for both teams. For the Rams' sake as well as for Sam, I hope that ends up being the case.

STL-Rams

Starter
Nice article and well done.
I really liked Bradford but I am glad they trading him after he would not restructure his contract. He made a lot of money standing on the sideline eating sunflower seeds and to not restructure was pathetic.

Thank you very much the kind words, Amitar.

STL-Rams

Starter
This team may even be a better fit for Foles than Bradford. That's not a slam on Bradford, he's the better QB, but with Britt and (hopefully) Quick back, they are the perfect compliment to Foles' long ball throwing style, which is to say, not really accurate but willing to let it rip and let the receivers fight it out.

I believe that is exactly the case. I think Foles is the better fit for what St. Louis wants to do.