New: Rams Reset at QB With Bradford/Foles Trade (4 Point Analysis)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

STL-Rams

Starter
http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...n-Depth-Look-at-the-Bradford-Foles-Trade.aspx

(I hope everyone is doing great at ROD, the best board around. I have been on stadium duty almost exclusively lately, and that is the only reason why you haven't seen my features here of late. I hope you will enjoy my four point analysis of the Bradford/Foles swap):

Gray: An In-Depth Look at the Bradford-Foles Trade
Shane Gray

Just five years ago, former Oklahoma Sooners Heisman Trophy winning quarterback Sam Bradford was dropping jaws and setting the NFL world abuzz with an astonishing showing at his pre-draft pro day.

Later that spring, the St. Louis Rams released two-time Pro Bowl quarterback Marc Bulger before utilizing the No. 1 overall pick of the 2010 NFL Draft on Bradford.
At the time, Bradford was thrilled to be staying close to his Oklahoma roots in St. Louis for an organization looking for a franchise quarterback and a return to league prominence.

"You have no idea how excited I am just to have the opportunity to come to St. Louis and play my NFL career there," Bradford said. "It's just a blessing and I can't wait to get there and get to work."

In year one, all went as well as expected for No. 8 as he navigated through his rookie year successfully enough to earn the NFL's Offensive Rookie of the Year Award while nearly leading the Rams to a playoff appearance.

From then on, however, came four seasons that yielded a mixed bag of results -- including two injury shortened seasons, a fully aborted campaign and a frustrating mix of fabulous flashes and pedestrian play.

With that brief overview considered, let's break the trade down from a few different angles to see whether the Rams or Eagles look to have came out on top initially.

Performance Perspective

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...n-Depth-Look-at-the-Bradford-Foles-Trade.aspx

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Good piece, Shane. I always enjoy your perspective. And while I will admit to be one of the biggest Bradford marks, what you have put together w/ others synopsis really hit home to the situation. It's the classic offset of potential vs. production. And while the potential was great, we need to move forward w/ production.
Good luck, Sam. And welcome to the Rams, Nick.

Greg Stone

Rookie
What I haven't heard pointed out so far is that the Rams have three young QB's who have had excellent games as NFL starters. IMO the focus is not so much on Foles as it is playing the odds that one of them, Keenum, Davis or Foles will show significant progress and take the starting job.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
What I haven't heard pointed out so far is that the Rams have three young QB's who have had excellent games as NFL starters. IMO the focus is not so much on Foles as it is playing the odds that one of them, Keenum, Davis or Foles will show significant progress and take the starting job.

Fisher just said Foles is the starting QB in his presser. Things can change, but that should put an end to the Foles/Keenum/Davis QB battle talk by some people here. It's Foles' job to lose.

Greg Stone

Rookie
Fisher just said Foles is the starting QB in his presser. Things can change, but that should put an end to the Foles/Keenum/Davis QB battle talk by some people here. It's Foles' job to lose.

That was quick, and definitive.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This trade was as lopsided as Shane makes it out to be, in no way did the Eagles come out on top.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I still can't believe that we were able to get what we did from the eagles. It feels like we were permitted to legally commit a felony against them.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

Russell Wilson beat out Matt Flynn after Flynn signed the big contract. I hope there is a legit competition in camp and they go the QB who gives us the best chance to win.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
QB competition is great, but A. Davis has a noodle arm. Not sure about Keenum, but if he somehow lights it on fire & beats out Foles, more power to him. But, it's likely that if Keenum or Davis beats out Foles, it's because Foles gets here & lays an egg. NO ONE wants that... if that happens we would have essentially traded Bradford for a 2016 2nd round pick & trading up from a 5th to a 4th in 2014.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Russell Wilson beat out Matt Flynn after Flynn signed the big contract. I hope there is a legit competition in camp and they go the QB who gives us the best chance to win.
Cant see how there wont be competition. Like @Greg Stone said, (and was a fantastic point) is that we have 3 QB on the roster who started NFL games and played well. Each QB has had multiple QB rating games over 100.
Fair enough Foles is the starter going in to TC. And yes, Fisher is loyal to his QB. But there will be opportunity for another guy to shine.
And of course this doesn't even consider a rookie QB being on the team. If they draft one, and all QB play well, you might see a Davis or Keenum traded before the season starts.
Its a good situation for sure

jjab360

Legend
QB competition is great, but A. Davis has a noodle arm. Not sure about Keenum, but if he somehow lights it on fire & beats out Foles, more power to him. But, it's likely that if Keenum or Davis beats out Foles, it's because Foles gets here & lays an egg. NO ONE wants that... if that happens we would have essentially traded Bradford for a 2016 2nd round pick & trading up from a 5th to a 4th in 2014.
Pretty funny how that still seems like a good deal lol.

RamzFanz

Damnit

...and you believe anything Fisher says, why?

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
...and you believe anything Fisher says, why?
It isn't about me believing Fisher, but the fact that Foles is the best QB on the roster, IMO, and this trade most likely wasn't made without Snead or Fisher believing that Foles will be the starter. Things can change, but if anyone but Foles is the QB heading into the season it will be because Foles lost the starting job. Just about every fan and NFL guru believes Foles was brought in to start. File that under the "no shit, Sherlock" column.

Last edited:

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler

Your 3rd round pick coming in and beating out a guy who barely had any NFL starts is a whole lot different than going in and hoping for a QB battle between Davis, Keenum, and Foles (who has started 24 games). Now if they go out and draft one of the top qbs in this draft I will believe in a possible QB battle, but I think Keenum was brought in to be a solid backup.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler

Ding ding, we have a winner! I'm also willing to bet that there is a good chance that Davis doesn't end up on the roster if Fisher decides to go with only 2 QBs again or decides to use an earlier pick on a QB.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
"You have no idea how excited I am just to have the opportunity to come to St. Louis and play my NFL career there," Bradford said. "It's just a blessing and I can't wait to get there and get to work."

5 years later:

"The way I look at it the Eagles wanted me, they pursued me and I'm happy to be in this building. I'm ready to get to work."

What else is the man going to say? The NFL is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league. All the best to you Sam but obviously not against the Rams.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
That was quick, and definitive.

Don't think it was quick, I think it was a done deal when the trade was made..Does anybody really think that Keenum or Davis will win the job ?? Is it even their's to win ??? I don't think this was ever about 3 young QBs...I think it was about Foles then who is going to be the backup...

RamzFanz

Damnit
It isn't about me believing Fisher, but the fact that Foles is the best QB on the roster, IMO, and this trade most likely wasn't made without Snead or Fisher believing that Foles will be the starter. Things can change, but if anyone but Foles is the QB heading into the season it will be because Foles lost the starting job. Just about every fan and NFL guru believes Foles was brought in to start. File that under the "no crap, Sherlock" column.

Ok, sure. Sounded to me like you said it was his,job to lose because Fisher said so.

STL-Rams

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good piece, Shane. I always enjoy your perspective. And while I will admit to be one of the biggest Bradford marks, what you have put together w/ others synopsis really hit home to the situation. It's the classic offset of potential vs. production. And while the potential was great, we need to move forward w/ production.
Good luck, Sam. And welcome to the Rams, Nick.

Thank you for the kind words on my writing in general and on this feature, bomebadeeda. I really appreciate it. I hope Sam can stay healthy and play to his potential in the future. If so, he can be a very, very good QB for Philly. More than that, of course, I hope Foles plays as well as I feel he can in St. Louis. If so, I believe the Rams can be a playoff contender this season.