New Rams OT working to get Battle-ready/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
New Rams OT working to get Battle-ready
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_7c1587c2-cccc-5d68-80ac-352674daf2a6.html

Three weeks ago, Rams offensive tackle Isaiah Battle held newborn daughter Brooklynn in his arms for the first time. It might be a stretch to say it was a life-changing experience for the rookie from Clemson, but it sure put things in perspective.

“It was great,” Battle said. “I felt weak, like wow, this is my creation.” (Of course, Battle’s girlfriend played a role as well.) “You’re really speechless,” he added. “Because it’s crazy how it happens.”

So now, as Battle embarks on an NFL career, he says, “It’s different. I have a daughter. I have a family to take care of. So all that bull ... and all that, it’s out the window. I’m focused. I know what I’m here for. And I know what my goals are.”

That “bull” includes Battle getting suspended in 2013 after punching a North Carolina State player. It includes a police citation for marijuana possession after being pulled over for speeding in June.

Battle had considered turning pro in January following the end of the 2014 college season.

“But I had to dig down deep and think,’’ he said. “I need to learn more. I need to develop my craft and make me a better player.”

But the latest off-field issue, coupled with the impending birth of his daughter, caused Battle to change his mind over the summer and go into the supplemental draft.

“Coach (Dabo) Swinney, he wanted me to put my best foot forward and he believed it was time for me to enter,” Battle said, referring to Clemson’s head coach. “But everything was positive. I loved Clemson. They made me the person I am now.”

Scouts from more than two dozen NFL teams attended Battle’s hastily arranged pro day in early July, and a couple of days later he became the Rams’ first supplemental draft pick since the franchise moved to St. Louis in 1995. The team forfeited a fifth-round draft pick in 2016 to make the selection.

“The guy is gifted, physically gifted,” Rams general manager Les Snead said. “He was well on our radar (for the 2016 draft). A little bit last year (too) because there was maybe a chance he might come out last year. Chose not to.

“He was gonna be a guy that you had to look and evaluate to see if he was an early (round) prospect. When all that happened and he was available for the supplemental — I don’t want to call it a no-brainer — but it was like, ‘OK, this is a guy that we would’ve been talking about a lot next year depending on how he played.’ So it’s a chance to get him early, let’s do it.”

The Rams feel Battle, listed at 6 feet 7 and 290 pounds, has starter’s potential. And if they end up getting a starter for a fifth-round pick, well, that’s a bargain. Before entering the supplemental draft, Battle was seen as a potential late first- or second-round prospect for 2016.

“Honestly, I heard feedback like that,” he said.

Battle knew the Rams were interested, because not only was the team present to watch the pro day, but the Rams brought him to a meeting room afterward and went through plays on a greaseboard.

Two days later, he was with his girlfriend when he got the news that the Rams had selected him.

“I got a call from my agent before the (Rams),” Battle said. “I just got on my knees and prayed because the Lord answered my prayers. I went through a tough time and I was glad I got an opportunity. I was drafted.”

Just before the start of camp, Battle signed a four-year, $2.51 million contract that included a signing bonus of $165,000 and $250,000 in guaranteed money. The guaranteed money alone gets Battle’s growing family off to a good start. But Battle wants to make a career of this.

After leaving school a year early, Battle doesn’t have a ton of experience entering the NFL. His Clemson résumé consists of 27 games and 15 starts, with experience at right and left tackle.

With that in mind, this has been portrayed as a redshirt year of sorts for Battle.

“Nobody likes to hear that, but I understand where they’re coming from,” Battle said. “I’m a raw tackle. Definitely it makes me want to strive harder, go get it, know what I’m working for. Because who doesn’t want to start? I really do want to contribute to this year.”

Even in the short term, Battle is playing catch-up with the rest of the team’s rookies because by waiting until the supplemental draft to turn pro, he missed out on about two months of work during the Rams’ offseason program and practices.

He did show up a week before training camp began and spent hours in a meeting room working with assistant offensive line coach Andy Dickerson to get indoctrinated into the Rams’ offense.

So far he has been working at right and left tackle. The biggest technical adjustment has been learning to operate in a three-point stance. At Clemson, he blocked out of a two-point stance except in goal-line situations.

“And we were more of a spread offense at Clemson,” Battle said. “Now it’s like more of a pro-style. It’s really different. I’ve just got to go back to the drawing board, learn everything over. But it’s not that bad.”

He says his offensive-line teammates have taken him under their wings and helped him whenever possible, be it correcting his footwork, his hand placement, or whatever. But he’s still playing catch-up.

“He’s talented, but he’s behind from a scheme standpoint,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “So understandably, he’s going to be a step slower at everything he does until he feels positive about his responsibility.

Physically, however, Battle has just about everything you’re looking for in an NFL offensive tackle.

“He’s long and he’s athletic,” Fisher said. “He lacks lower body strength right now, and we’re pushing him through that. We’ll see how he is in a couple of weeks and expect him to play quite a bit in preseason games.”

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What if he turns into a legit LT? It would be nice to have two healthy, young STUDS at LT.....
(I'm starting to hyperventilate..):seizure:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I don't how this guy is weighing 290....I mean his butt has about 80 lbs on it.....

Seriously, I really like this pickup...I had figured Reynolds to be a lock to make the roster...If my boy Wichmann can get healthy, and show what he's made of...And Donnal & Battle prove their worth. Reynolds, Bond, Washington, and Williams ( he just looks like garbage to me) will all be cut...I gotta find some binoculars before next week!!!!!

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
What if he turns into a legit LT? It would be nice to have two healthy, young STUDS at LT.....
(I'm starting to hyperventilate..):seizure:
I'll take problems like that anytime he has his work cut out for him.Projected to go in the late 1st or maybe 2nd round next year and we get him for a 5th.....nice steal snead

RamzFanz

Damnit
After seeing him in practice, I'm so glad he will be on the bench if we need him. let's hope he's the steal of the 2016 draft with a year of experience to boot!