NEW: Rams on Cusp of Greatness After Decade of Disappointment

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

STL-Rams

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice read as always. It's hard to ignore the gorilla in the room (of course the QB situation) but you made the key point which is that, QB be damned, this is the major stuff that had real Rams fans excited the last off-season (and had us so devastated after Minnesota and Kansas City).

Unless the Rams are going the way of the 2002 Bucs or 2000 Ravens (teams that were great with a subpar QB), the next step to greatness really is figuring out who the Rams signal caller will be. It kinda begins and ends with that statement. 3rd LB, G, C are practically afterthoughts in that conversation. It does feel like whatever QB is under center, they will have all the systems** and supporting cast they need in all phases of the game to succeed. This is the first time I've been able to say that in 10 years.

But until the question about QB is answered with something more than "and they'll have Bradford back", every discussion about the Rams will end with the question: "But who will play QB?"

I love the Mark Barron pickup. But who will play QB?

Donald is a beast. But who will play QB?

Tre Mason is the real real. But who will play QB?

Why are the Rams NOT on the cusp of greatness? Because we don't know who will play QB.

~~~~~~

** yeah, I know, Schotty's fan support is historically lukewarm at best, but even this seems to be improving.

Thanks for the compliment and you make a lot of great points. I would say the Rams are "on the cusp" of greatness regardless of the QB situation, because that suggests they may reach that destination OR may not... they are merely on the cusp, and how the QB position shakes out will play a large role in determining if they can move forward as far as they should.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great article as always.
Such as it is in life, the easy way out is to pick out the negative. The Rams havent made easy work of it, but I love the focus on the positive.
As thrilling as 2012 was, I felt it was a little bit of a fluke, last year despite the slow start really had me believing. Again, rough start this year but the signals are all there. Foundation is being built so solidly that "Cusp of Greatness" is within reach

Big Game

Living The Dream
Great job Shane!!! i too feel as if the young Rams will be a contender in 2015 and might be a surprise team this year if we win out

STL-Rams

Starter
Great article as always.
Such as it is in life, the easy way out is to pick out the negative. The Rams havent made easy work of it, but I love the focus on the positive.
As thrilling as 2012 was, I felt it was a little bit of a fluke, last year despite the slow start really had me believing. Again, rough start this year but the signals are all there. Foundation is being built so solidly that "Cusp of Greatness" is within reach
Well put, dieterbrock. :) Also, thanks for the very kind compliments I always appreciate them.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Thanks, Shane, always appreciate your articles. We're coming NFL, better strap it up!

STL-Rams

Starter
Great job Shane!!! i too feel as if the young Rams will be a contender in 2015 and might be a surprise team this year if we win out
Thank you, Big Game. You can feel this team turning the corner. Keep in touch and get at me on twitter if you aren't already (@ShaneGmoSTLRams)

STL-Rams

Starter
Thanks, Shane, always appreciate your articles. We're coming NFL, better strap it up!
You aint lying. I believe that wholeheartedly. Tremendous thank you for the kind comments, blackbart.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
Nice read Shane!(y)

We all know QB is the key to success for the Rams in 2015 and beyond. Add some more talent via the draft, possibly a targeted free agent or two, take care of your own FA's, and the roster will be better and deeper.

The bad thing is, next years schedule is shaping up to be as difficult, if not more so than this years. Rams will be playing the AFC North which currently has all teams at 7-5 or better (29-18 overall) vs this years AFC West who are 25-23 overall (although OAK accounts for 11 of the losses). Rams will play the NFC North which is currently 27-21 vs. this season's NFC East currently 23-25. Rams would play the Bucs for a second consecutive year and substitute the Redskins or Giants for this year Vikings. Plus the 6 division games. The strength of schedule will be comparable if not harder than last season.

The big question is, will STL be able to enjoy the fruits of all this improvement. The city really needs to get behind the Rams the last two games and push this season to the finish line. Perception is vital and a full raucous stadium sends a huge message to the rest of the league.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Great job as always Shane... always enjoy your writing, because I usually agree with everything you say.

Alan

Legend
Thanks for posting your article Shane. (y)

"That is, of course, if they can correctly address the quarterback position. But that topic, obviously, will need an entirely separate column to adequately address the issue."

I'm really looking forward to hearing what you have to say about this. I think our QB situation is pretty much at the top everyone's list of worries. It's a question that will be really hard to answer until we know which pieces of the puzzle will be available. Both in FA and the draft.

STL-Rams

Starter
You could feel it starting at the end of last season, but losing Bradford again was a huge setback and the D had a tough time adjusting to Williams' complicated scheme. Everything's clicking on O and D right now though, and it's just a ridiculous amount of talent on this team right now, almost all of it young and developing.
I think losing Bradford did probably hurt the mindset subconsciously to start the year. It was a big blow. Washingon is very beatable and the season's first back to back wins should be on the way Sunday.

STL-Rams

Starter
Here's to having the cap space in the future to keep the players that make this team a contender for years to come!!!!!!!!!! (y) :D
What's great heading into 2105 -- or one of many things -- is that there are very few of the Rams key keys who aren't already locked up.

STL-Rams

Starter
Great job as always Shane... always enjoy your writing, because I usually agree with everything you say.

Thank you, LetsGoRams. I guess it's true what they say: great minds think alike :) Just kidding there, but keep in touch and thanks again for the compliment.

STL-Rams

Starter
Thanks for posting your article Shane. (y)

"That is, of course, if they can correctly address the quarterback position. But that topic, obviously, will need an entirely separate column to adequately address the issue."

I'm really looking forward to hearing what you have to say about this. I think our QB situation is pretty much at the top everyone's list of worries. It's a question that will be really hard to answer until we know which pieces of the puzzle will be available. Both in FA and the draft.
You are always welcome, Alan. I am looking forward to putting that together, too.

STL-Rams

Starter
Nice read as always. It's hard to ignore the gorilla in the room (of course the QB situation) but you made the key point which is that, QB be damned, this is the major stuff that had real Rams fans excited the last off-season (and had us so devastated after Minnesota and Kansas City).

Unless the Rams are going the way of the 2002 Bucs or 2000 Ravens (teams that were great with a subpar QB), the next step to greatness really is figuring out who the Rams signal caller will be. It kinda begins and ends with that statement. 3rd LB, G, C are practically afterthoughts in that conversation. It does feel like whatever QB is under center, they will have all the systems** and supporting cast they need in all phases of the game to succeed. This is the first time I've been able to say that in 10 years.

But until the question about QB is answered with something more than "and they'll have Bradford back", every discussion about the Rams will end with the question: "But who will play QB?"

I love the Mark Barron pickup. But who will play QB?

Donald is a beast. But who will play QB?

Tre Mason is the real real. But who will play QB?

Why are the Rams NOT on the cusp of greatness? Because we don't know who will play QB.

~~~~~~

** yeah, I know, Schotty's fan support is historically lukewarm at best, but even this seems to be improving.
Big thanks Junkman... and did you say something about quarterback?

STL-Rams

Starter
Nice read Shane!(y)

We all know QB is the key to success for the Rams in 2015 and beyond. Add some more talent via the draft, possibly a targeted free agent or two, take care of your own FA's, and the roster will be better and deeper.

The bad thing is, next years schedule is shaping up to be as difficult, if not more so than this years. Rams will be playing the AFC North which currently has all teams at 7-5 or better (29-18 overall) vs this years AFC West who are 25-23 overall (although OAK accounts for 11 of the losses). Rams will play the NFC North which is currently 27-21 vs. this season's NFC East currently 23-25. Rams would play the Bucs for a second consecutive year and substitute the Redskins or Giants for this year Vikings. Plus the 6 division games. The strength of schedule will be comparable if not harder than last season.

The big question is, will STL be able to enjoy the fruits of all this improvement. The city really needs to get behind the Rams the last two games and push this season to the finish line. Perception is vital and a full raucous stadium sends a huge message to the rest of the league.

Woofwoofmo, thanks for commenting and another kind comment. ROD spoils me you guys are too kind.

As for the schedule, the glimmer of hope there is that the NFL changes so fast from one year to the next. What can look like a brutal schedule now might turn out to be a softish one next year when all is said and done. A lot can change by the time the draft, free agency and the next preseason are over. And then, of course, you never know who will get hot and who won't or what injuries may occur, etc.

And yes, it would be heartbreaking to see the Rams finally get it together and then for St. Louis to not get to enjoy that after going through these last 10 years and all the turmoil re: the stadium issue. As for attendance, it sounds like some who are upset over what the five players did last Sunday may not show up for the next 2 games so that may hurt the numbers in the dome. We will see.