NEW: Rams Must Solidify QB Position to Contend + 3 Reasons Rams Must Draft QB Early in 2015

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Sam Bradford being anointed starting QB entering the 2015 season and then being injured again would be devastating to the Rams organization and its fan base. Duh! Having him compete for the position on a reduced contract is fine by me but there'd better be someone who can get the job done just in case.

I would much rather we fortify the O-line through the draft and bring in a veteran QB Like Glennon or Cutler, than spend our draft picks on a QB. Maybe next year or the year after will be a much more QB-rich draft.
I agree with this, however trading for Cutler will limit fixing the line through the draft.
I just don't see an ideal situation for the Rams. The FA class is very limited. With such a limited supply of potential starting QBs a guy like Cutler would cost a small ransom. Even someone pretty much unproven like Daniels would cost several picks I would imagine. With several holes giving up multiple picks to move up for a rookie QB doesn't make sense....in my opinion especially with this class of QBs.
It will be interesting to see if the team can swing something.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
These three reasons the article gives just falls completely apart when looking at who is actually in the draft. Winston has the issues as everyone knows and has a yawn inducing 24tds to 17ints this year. Mariota looks like a less talented RGIII to me. Trading future picks to get either of these two seems to be the equivalent of Snead taking a handgun and repeatedly shooting himself in the foot with it. We need OLmen and a QB. So we pass on the OL rich draft this year for a QB and then be hamstrung with the loss of those picks from trading up later when the OL draft isn't so full? Seems like desperation madness to me. Get one of those other vets we've been talking about in other threads, let Bradford have his last year to prove he can stay healthy and draft the talent that's there. Not out of fear.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
If we fix the Oline you'd be amazed at how much better Hill or Davis would play, not to mention how much more durable SB would be.

STL-Rams

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I want to clarify -- which I didn't do a great job of doing in the feature -- that the Rams should only take a QB in the first three rounds IF they like one in the first 3 rounds. Of course, as others have pointed out, you cannot force a pick. Happy new year to all! :)

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
And there is no amount of picks we could give up to get Mariota, the Bucs will take him #1 overall, Winston might fall because he's a thug, but I still don't want him.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Thank you, blackbart. Happy new year to you, too. May 2015 be your best year yet
Thanks, Brother, right back at you. Looking forward to more quality Rams reports from you in 2015.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
competition? i can't believe you guys are buying that crap. There isn't going to be a competition with Bradford in the mix. Bradford will outperform anybody we put in camp. The problem is that Bradford won't last the season. Bradford is clearly going to be the plan for starter in 2015 BUT they better grab something good they can groom because history says "we're gonna need it". There isn't going to be anybody worthy at #10. We benefit from trading down or going O line. We are going to have to choose a qb in the 2nd - bet.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I don't agree that the Rams "must" draft a QB early in the 2015 draft. Without a 4th and 6th already, I think it would be a foolish use of their limited resources. The Rams are in "win now" mode so drafting and developing a lesser prospect isn't going to be in the cards for 2015. Whether they go with Bradford or a veteran FA, they need someone who can play.

For that hypothetical QB to succeed, they need to draft as much talent as possible. I just don't see how they can afford to spend one of their few draft picks on a pick from a very weak QB class.

That's not to say that I think Hill and Davis should remain the contingency plan but there are names out there that would improve the team and be less risk. Glennon, Moore, Cutler...any of those guys would be better than having a 3rd round guy with no playing experience.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Trade down.
more than once if needed.
I don't think the Rams have any choice but to move down this year. They might trade a couple of guys for late round picks and use those to move up a little but I think that #10th overall is going to be parlayed into something else.

Big Willie

Starter
Strengthen the team with the best player available in the first round of the draft, regardless of position. Pick up a couple of linemen in the first few rounds and get a developmental QB. Find the best FA QB you can or make a trade for a backup. The trade could include players from our areas of depth like DL or SS. (We have a lot of SS, and while they may not be the best, we have a lot of them.) In a pinch I would take a Locker or Ponder to compete with SB for a year, and by making my team better in other areas, we will be the better for it.
If our defense is better and our running game is better, QB issues will be diminished (not eliminated).

tonyl711

Starter
IMO, you go O line early and often in the draft, theres no QBs worth a first rounder at 10 or later IMO, and I don't want to give away any picks to move up, we already don't have a 4th or 6th, don't reach for a QB if a good one falls to you in the second or third fine take him. FA is where I would look for a QB and another OG.

V3

Hall of Fame
The more I look at the QB's that will be available in this draft, the more I wish the Rams would have taken a QB in the 2nd round last year(Garapolo).

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Happy New Year, Shane. Another good article.

Regarding Chase Daniel - I think he could easily be a cap casualty in KC. He's due to have a $4.8 million cap hit in 2015, with only $1 million in dead money. KC drafted Aaron Murray last year and could be grooming him for the backup role. Murray only has a $536,000 cap hit in 2015. Not sure what he would command in the open market, but could be had without using draft picks to get him.

Regarding QBs in the draft - I think guys like Hundley and Petty could be available in rounds 2-3.

STL-Rams

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Happy New Year, Shane. Another good article.

Regarding Chase Daniel - I think he could easily be a cap casualty in KC. He's due to have a $4.8 million cap hit in 2015, with only $1 million in dead money. KC drafted Aaron Murray last year and could be grooming him for the backup role. Murray only has a $536,000 cap hit in 2015. Not sure what he would command in the open market, but could be had without using draft picks to get him.

Regarding QBs in the draft - I think guys like Hundley and Petty could be available in rounds 2-3.

Thank you. Happy New Year to you as well!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Something huge is coming down the pike. They have to get THE best QB in the draft or free agency if Fisher wants to make that leap next year. Another sub .500 year isn't going to endear him to the fan base or Ownership. So, with that said, they can retain Bradford and get Winston (only guy who *might* fall or require less forfeiture of draft picks), or they can cut Bradford and sign Cutler (because you can't afford both). Say what you want about Cutler, but he's the best of the lot. Of those two scenarios, the first seems the most likely to me.

The third, even less likely option, would be to forfeit one of our blue chip veteran players in some sort of trade package to keep our draft picks in a trade up.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Something huge is coming down the pike. They have to get THE best QB in the draft or free agency if Fisher wants to make that leap next year. Another sub .500 year isn't going to endear him to the fan base or Ownership. So, with that said, they can retain Bradford and get Winston (only guy who *might* fall or require less forfeiture of draft picks), or they can cut Bradford and sign Cutler (because you can't afford both). Say what you want about Cutler, but he's the best of the lot. Of those two scenarios, the first seems the most likely to me.

The third, even less likely option, would be to forfeit one of our blue chip veteran players in some sort of trade package to keep our draft picks in a trade up.
If our realistic choices are Coach Killer Cutler (there is a reason Chicago wants to be rid of him) or Shameis, it might be better for the team to wait another year before getting anything more than a 2nd-3rd round QB.

Hopefully, Fisher won't make a bad pick just to save his neck for a bit longer.

For my money, BPA regardless of position at #10 (except defensive line or punter of course) and Winston won't be that even if he falls to #10. The red flags are so bad on this guy I don't know if he'd be worth a 7th.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If our realistic choices are Coach Killer Cutler (there is a reason Chicago wants to be rid of him) or Shameis, it might be better for the team to wait another year before getting anything more than a 2nd-3rd round QB.

Hopefully, Fisher won't make a bad pick just to save his neck for a bit longer.

For my money, BPA regardless of position at #10 (except defensive line or punter of course) and Winston won't be that even if he falls to #10. The red flags are so bad on this guy I don't know if he'd be worth a 7th.
Yeah, admittedly the options aren't tasty. But this is year 4, and Fisher can't have a 4th losing season.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Yeah, admittedly the options aren't tasty. But this is year 4, and Fisher can't have a 4th losing season.
I honestly think with either of those guys, he makes that certain.

But even in best case, you're trading success later for mediocrity now IMO.

And more important than just year 4 is that it's Fisher's penultimate year. I really don't see him here in 2016 unless Kroenke decides to extend his contract.