New Rams mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
1st round: Todd Gurley RB, Georgia
-
Sorry to the rams fans that are totally against drafting a running back in the first round. I understand your thought process, but it's a real possibility with this team. Gurley is a top 10 player in this draft and if his knees check out, he's not getting past pick #17. This pick is all about how coach fisher wants to build a championship team. It's nice to dream about having a passing attack that puts up 35+ points a game, but that's not how Jeff Fisher molds his football team, and it likely won't ever be how he molds his football team. I don't think Cooper, White or Mariota will be on the board and I think they would be the only 3 players that I would take over Gurley for this team. Anyone who thinks this team isn't significantly better with Gurley in the backfield over Mason either A, has never seen Gurley play or B, is just adjacent on the rams taking a tail back with their 1st round pick.

2nd round: Jake Fisher OT, Oregon
-
Rams grab the Offensive Tackle from the Ducks. If Barksdale isn't signed, Fisher can come in and start at RT from day one.

3rd round: Laken Tomlinson OG, Duke
- First of all, I have the Rams signing Justin Blalock. But they still need a Guard for the future. Tomlinson is a guy who's really helped his draft stock at the senior bowl week, very strong athlete who could excel in our run-first scheme.

4th round: Henry Anderson DE, Stanford

- Big defensive end who stands at 6'6 294 pounds. Anderson is quick off the line and uses his hands well to get off blocks. Plays run well. With Chris Long owed 12 million in 2016 and Williams Hayes an UFA after the 2015 season, there is a huge question mark looming for this franchise.

6th round: Ron Fields CB, Texas A&M Commerce
-
My sleeper pick for the Rams, Fields is a big Corner standing at 6'3 180 pounds. Adds depth to the position.

7th round: Bud Sasser WR, Missouri
-
Mizzou fans should love this pick. Sasser is a guy who's flown under the radar during this draft process and I'm not really sure why. He has quick feet, good catch radius, plucks ball out of air,had good body control and is probably the best route runner I've seen come out of Missouri.

This draft isn't about what I want. It's about what I think Fisher needs to get to where he wants to go with his style of football. This is a coach who for years past on significant improvement at the wide receiver position because he had the famous Justin Gage as his #2 wideout. Some are going to look at this mock and absolutely hate it. One, because there aren't that many sexy picks, and two, because there aren't many starters for the 2015 season coming out of this draft. Maybe even just the top 2 picks will be on the field in week one this season. But like I said before, this draft isn't just for the 2015 season, it's to better the Rams for the long run. I have the Ram signing Blalock, but how long does he really have playing at a starting-caliber level at this level? one, maybe two years? Tomlinson adds depth to the Guard position and should slide into the starting role post 2015 rather nicely. also Henry Anderson could be a very important piece fro this draft, if he develops the way I think he can, the Rams have the potential to keep this team in tact. Because if he's a starting caliber Defensive End, it means the team has the flexibility to let Chris Long go and save a huge chunk of cash which would allow them to sign their up-in-coming free agents after next season...like Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, Michael Brockers, Brian Quick and Greg Zuerlein. This draft isn't that deep, it really falls off after the first 100 picks, so getting potential starters in rounds 4 and later is going to be hard to do.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Gurley a lot but I'd need to feel really confident about his medical to take him at #10. That's the one hold-up for me. On Fisher, the guy has talent but I don't like him for our scheme. I think he's a ZBS OT. Doesn't have the lower body strength to drive NFL DEs off the LOS imo. Rest of the draft looks good. Love Henry Anderson. He'd find a role here. If not at LDE, he'd be a player for us as a rotational DT.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I like Gurley a lot but I'd need to feel really confident about his medical to take him at #10. That's the one hold-up for me. On Fisher, the guy has talent but I don't like him for our scheme. I think he's a ZBS OT. Doesn't have the lower body strength to drive NFL DEs off the LOS imo. Rest of the draft looks good. Love Henry Anderson. He'd find a role here. If not at LDE, he'd be a player for us as a rotational DT.

Yeah the selection is assuming the Rams are comfortable with his knees. Because I agree with you. And I don't really know about Fisher, I just really like the kid's game. Always have a tough time with scheme fits for O-Linemen. What would you suggest I watch when watching him?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah the selection is assuming the Rams are comfortable with his knees. Because I agree with you. And I don't really know about Fisher, I just really like the kid's game. Always have a tough time with scheme fits for O-Linemen. What would you suggest I watch when watching him?

Oregon is a zone heavy team so I'd try to look for plays when he's asked to take a blocker on head on and clear a hole by driving him off the LOS or watch him on down blocks and see how effective he is at washing his man down the LOS. You really want to watch for leverage, explosion out of his stance(especially in his hips), how flexible his hips/knees are, and how strong his lower body is. That's also key for pass blocking...how strong his lower body is and his ability to widen his base and anchor in while being bullrushed.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I find myself trying to keep an open mind about Gurley for us.

Some mocks have had him in the top 10. One of the guys on Path considers him the best back coming out since Adrian Peterson. Damn! We're talking HOF player if that's true.

So if his knee checks out... Would be hard to criticize such a pick. Snead's always looking for HOF types in his 1st rounders.

But RB is hardly a team need, is it? While I think it's possible to fix our OL without using our 1st, assuming a FA or two is signed, it makes me a little nervous to think about starting the season with an unfinished OL.

Color me on the fence re Gurley. Lol.

Big Willie

Starter
If there were a scenario where we could trade back a few slots and get an extra 3rd round pick this year...I would be on board with getting a healthy Gurley. We could get linemen in the 2nd and 3rd rounds as well as pick up a potential developmental QB.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I've got no problem with this mock draft.

However, I question if 40 players get selected ahead of Fisher & 119 players get selected ahead of Anderson. And I have concerns that Tomlinson might not make it to #72, but of the 3, I'd say he has the best chance of being available where you have them.

That's the thing about mock drafts that I struggle with. You can have a pretty good idea what round a targeted player might go in, but they always seem to get selected just prior to the Rams choice.:(

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If the Rams have the urgent need to fill in at DE, because of what may happen in 2016 they shouldn't wait until the 4th round to go after one IMHO!
And I don't see them cutting Long because of his contract. He brings too many intangibles to the team, on and off the field! Personally I want him to retire a Ram!!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I like Anderson more as a 4-3 defensive tackle or a 3-4 defensive end, to be honest. Don't think that he has what it takes to play outside in a 4-3. And with Long, Hayes, and Sims (yes, Sims' contract expires in 2016 as well) all potentially gone in 2016, I don't feel comfortable drafting a guy who projects as a DT.

Fields is an interesting pick, and we do need more height at the position. Sasser doesn't really seem like a draftable prospect to me, and this is coming from a Mizzou fan. Jimmie Hunt isn't either. If Washington and Lucas weren't in a weaker class, I can't see any reason why Sasser is in a class as deep as this one; he's smaller and slower than Lucas was coming out, maybe the same hands, but Lucas had a better catch radius. Washington was taller and faster. Really isn't any reason why they couldn't stick to the Panthers roster at least, but that's another story.

Fisher is a good prospect...for a ZBS. I could see the Texans trading back for him, getting that bookend to Duane Brown. Tomlinson is reliable. Not dominant, but reliable.

Can't justify Gurley at that point. Love him as a prospect, but with that ACL and with Mason, Cunningham, and Stacy still on the team...I can't justify him or even Gordon in the top ten.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
I like Anderson more as a 4-3 defensive tackle or a 3-4 defensive end, to be honest. Don't think that he has what it takes to play outside in a 4-3. And with Long, Hayes, and Sims (yes, Sims' contract expires in 2016 as well) all potentially gone in 2016, I don't feel comfortable drafting a guy who projects as a DT.

Fields is an interesting pick, and we do need more height at the position. Sasser doesn't really seem like a draftable prospect to me, and this is coming from a Mizzou fan. Jimmie Hunt isn't either. If Washington and Lucas weren't in a weaker class, I can't see any reason why Sasser is in a class as deep as this one; he's smaller and slower than Lucas was coming out, maybe the same hands, but Lucas had a better catch radius. Washington was taller and faster. Really isn't any reason why they couldn't stick to the Panthers roster at least, but that's another story.

Fisher is a good prospect...for a ZBS. I could see the Texans trading back for him, getting that bookend to Duane Brown. Tomlinson is reliable. Not dominant, but reliable.

Can't justify Gurley at that point. Love him as a prospect, but with that ACL and with Mason, Cunningham, and Stacy still on the team...I can't justify him or even Gordon in the top ten.

I disagree with you on Sasser, he is a better route runner and has better hip flexibility than Lucas, and he is well built and doesn't have chicken-legs like Washington. And I'm going to go back and watch Fisher some more and keep in mind what jrry suggested.

Stacy was barely getting any playing time last year, I don't like to project trades in my mocks, but if Gurley is drafted, Stacy is likely either dealt or released. Cunningham is a nice RB, but his main role is for short-yardage situations. Him as a backup is easily replaceable.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
If the Rams have the urgent need to fill in at DE, because of what may happen in 2016 they shouldn't wait until the 4th round to go after one IMHO!
And I don't see them cutting Long because of his contract. He brings too many intangibles to the team, on and off the field! Personally I want him to retire a Ram!!

I think we all would love it if Chris Long were to retire a Ram, but if his contract hinders the team from signing some of their own key free agents, they are going to try and find ways to move it. And like Bradford, if he won't accept a significant pay cut, the team is going to find a way to remove the contract from the books. I love what Chris Long has brought to this team over the years, but this is a business.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I too think about Gurley at 10. If we are drafting at 10 you need a playmaker and Gurley is just that. And For what it's worth on path to the draft have reported his knee was clean as it gets for a ACl tear. So it was a best case thing and the medication staff on some NFL team do NOT have any concerns w/ his recovery.

Another question is will Chris Long get "Winstrom'd??? in 2016... My gut says they will attempt to transfer the $$$ into salary bonus to help w/ the books over a 2 year period. He "appears" to want to be a ram for life. Time will tell

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think we all would love it if Chris Long were to retire a Ram, but if his contract hinders the team from signing some of their own key free agents, they are going to try and find ways to move it. And like Bradford, if he won't accept a significant pay cut, the team is going to find a way to remove the contract from the books. I love what Chris Long has brought to this team over the years, but this is a business.
I understand the Business side of Football. But the Rams have made too many mistakes, over the years, and lost Great players because of it! Like:
*Deacon Jones
*Jack ' Hack-Saw' Reynolds
*Erick Dickerson
*And Bruce and Holt, Because of it! and I don't care for it, as a "Fan"!!
( and I'm sure there are other's I can't think of off the top of my head!)

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Unless something changes come free agency any mock that does not have an offensive lineman with their first pick and a QB by at the very minimum in the 3rd round I cannot take seriously. I know that's my opinion, but I will be totally shocked if the Rams take a running back in the first because IMO, they feel Mason is their bell cow!

1. Scherff/Collins/Peat
  2. Wide Receiver/Perriman/Green-Beckham
  3. Quarterback/Grayson/Petty
  4. Offensive line/Matias/Morse

Last edited:

Memento

Name
Jemma
I disagree with you on Sasser, he is a better route runner and has better hip flexibility than Lucas, and he is well built and doesn't have chicken-legs like Washington. And I'm going to go back and watch Fisher some more and keep in mind what jrry suggested.

Stacy was barely getting any playing time last year, I don't like to project trades in my mocks, but if Gurley is drafted, Stacy is likely either dealt or released. Cunningham is a nice RB, but his main role is for short-yardage situations. Him as a backup is easily replaceable.

Chicken legs or not, Washington still should've been drafted last year based on his production. He basically outperformed DGB in most games. Lucas was borderline, but still more draftable than Sasser. Sasser disappeared way too often; it was Jimmie Hunt who really led us down the stretch. I'm a Mizzou fan, I watched every game, and no way is Sasser better than Washington or Lucas. I highly doubt that he gets drafted with all of the talent this year.

Cunningham isn't just for short-yardage; he's our best third down back (who can get on the field), and he's our primary KR. A backup running back is easily replaceable, but we've searched long and hard for a KR, and we've finally found one.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
Chicken legs or not, Washington still should've been drafted last year based on his production. He basically outperformed DGB in most games. Lucas was borderline, but still more draftable than Sasser. Sasser disappeared way too often; it was Jimmie Hunt who really led us down the stretch. I'm a Mizzou fan, I watched every game, and no way is Sasser better than Washington or Lucas. I highly doubt that he gets drafted with all of the talent this year.

Cunningham isn't just for short-yardage; he's our best third down back (who can get on the field), and he's our primary KR. A backup running back is easily replaceable, but we've searched long and hard for a KR, and we've finally found one.

Cunningham isn't a good KR.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I want a threat to take it to the house.

Cunningham is always a threat for a long return. Even if he doesn't take it to the house, he's set up field position in opposing territory/at our forty many times. That, to me, does not make him a bad returner.

And unlike a lot of the others, he never put the ball on the ground.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Unless something changes come free agency any mock that does not have an offensive lineman with their first pick and a QB by at the very minimum in the 3rd round I cannot take seriously. I know that's my opinion, but I will be totally shocked if the Rams take a running back in the first because IMO, they feel Mason is their bell cow!

1. Scherff/Collins/Peat
  2. Wide Receiver/Perriman/Green-Beckham
  3. Quarterback/Grayson/Petty
  4. Offensive line/Matias/Morse

Didn't they feel like Stacy was their bell cow the year before Mason fell into their laps?

BTW, I don't like the chances of Perriman even getting out of the top 20 picks. It wouldn't even surprise me if he went #10 overall to the Rams, IMO. Green-Beckham might make it to #41, but I'm having a real hard time getting him past the Bengals in the 1st round whenever I try to updraft my 3 round mock draft.:eek:

And just like last year, I'm not banking on the Rams selecting a QB in the first three rounds. I have my doubts that they like all of them and the one or two they might like may not be available at their selections.