NEW: Rams at Redskins - Shane's Select Seven

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

STL-Rams

Starter
Rams at Redskins: Shane’s Select Seven
Shane Gray

In week 14 action, the St. Louis Rams (5-7) will be on the road in the nation’s capital to face the Washington Redskins (3-9). Last week, both the Rams and Redskins were involved in routs of opposite varieties, with St. Louis stampeding the Oakland Raiders 52-0 while Washington was wallopped by the Indianapolis Colts 49-27.

Redskins Reeling

The Redskins are currently dealing with their second four game losing streak of the season. Earlier this fall, the franchise dropped four consecutive matchups in weeks three through six.

At the quarterback position, it's been a three-way carousel, with fifth year veteran Colt McCoy now at the reigns following starting stints by both Robert Griffin III and Kirk Cousins.

Offensively, Washington ranks 23rd in scoring, 30th on third down, fourth-worst in penalty yardage, fourth worst regarding fumbles and has given up the second most sacks.

Defensively, the Redskins are sixth worst in points allowed, third worst in total interceptions, third worst in touchdowns passes allowed, have drawn more flags than any other team and have relinquished the league’s highest opposing passer rating.

To make matters worse, Washington is -7 in regard to the always-telling giveaway/takeaway statistic. To date, only the New York Jets (-12) and the Oakland Raiders (-18) have faired worse in that regard.

Back to Back Wins?

(F0r six more topics including Back to Back Wins?, Rams D Rockin', D.C. Downpour?, Measuring McCoy, RGIII Revisited, and Preparing for Pressure, the full read is available here. Thanks, as always, for being the best Rams board around and for all the support):

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...642/Rams-at-Redskins-Shanes-Select-Seven.aspx

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
STL-Rams with his select seven:
“It’s a different pattern each week,” Schottenheimer said in regard to Haslett’s play-calling. “He brings stuff, multiple things and you don’t see many of the same patterns. You just got to trust your roles. He’s one of the few guys that’s very comfortable bringing everybody and just playing true man-to-man on the outsideand locking those guys down and putting them in one-one-one situations.”

Thanks for posting here again Shane.(y)

This is something I wish we'd do more of when we bring the house. I think we have the personnel for it. What's your take?

STL-Rams

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for posting here again Shane.(y)

This is something I wish we'd do more of when we bring the house. I think we have the personnel for it. What's your take?
I think as Williams grows more and more comfortable with his largely young secondary, that will happen more. It may not happen much until next year but I think it will eventually happen more often knowing Williams' history. It's still a very young group and that probably plays into that thinking.

RAMBUSH

Starter
Once the players get comfortable with the system and their responsibilities on each play, they move from thinking and from paralysis by analysis to just naturally reacting. This is what I believe we've been seeing from the Rams D over the last few games.

Why this transition isn't accomplished in preseason and during practices is a mystery to me.
I think it just takes time, trusting your instincts, trusting in your teammates . I also think this can only be learned in game time situations. I love the way our team is coming along.( wish we had 3 more wins) but we still learning. Look out next year baby!!!!! That's my opinion.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I think it just takes time, trusting your instincts, trusting in your teammates . I also think this can only be learned in game time situations. I love the way our team is coming along.( wish we had 3 more wins) but we still learning. Look out next year baby!!!!! That's my opinion.

It may also be because the league now allows less practice time in the preseason. What I don't understand is why some teams seem to come out swinging from the gate but Fisher's teams look like they're still in preseason mode and then pick up steam as the season goes on. Of course it doesn't help when he has three different DC's in three seasons.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I think we have to get to McCoy early ,IMO the team hasn't been behind Griffin and switching to McCoy will add a spark to them,we need to extinguish that lift and the rest will fall in place and getting to him will depend on stopping the run ( obviously) so we can put McCoy in situations where the distance is comparable to the free runner.

STL-Rams

Starter
Once the players get comfortable with the system and their responsibilities on each play, they move from thinking and from paralysis by analysis to just naturally reacting. This is what I believe we've been seeing from the Rams D over the last few games.

Why this transition isn't accomplished in preseason and during practices is a mystery to me.
Well said, Prime Time.

As for it taking awhile, they are doing quite a few different things than they were last season, which can take time. That said, it seems the Rams seem to start slow in a lot of ways under Fisher in general.

STL-Rams

Starter
I think we have to get to McCoy early ,IMO the team hasn't been behind Griffin and switching to McCoy will add a spark to them,we need to extinguish that lift and the rest will fall in place and getting to him will depend on stopping the run ( obviously) so we can put McCoy in situations where the distance is comparable to the free runner.
That would help a great deal. Hopefully, the field will be in good enough shape for our rushers -- especially the edge rushers -- can get good enough footing to come off the edge explosively.

STL-Rams

Starter
I am excited about the prospects on D next year as well, as you might have seen in my feature last week that looked ahead beyond this season.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Offensively, Washington ranks 23rd in scoring, 30th on third down, fourth-worst in penalty yardage, fourth worst regarding fumbles and has given up the second most sacks.

LOL Shane that was all you had to say.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
That would help a great deal. Hopefully, the field will be in good enough shape for our rushers -- especially the edge rushers -- can get good enough footing to come off the edge explosively.
They are lucky their best o-lineman is on Quinns side ,where the holding calls don't get "SEEN", IMO Donald will be their biggest problem,I think he keeps McCoy off his spot a lot today.

STL-Rams

Starter
They are lucky their best o-lineman is on Quinns side ,where the holding calls don't get "SEEN", IMO Donald will be their biggest problem,I think he keeps McCoy off his spot a lot today.
Yeah, it seems the holds where Quinn lines up somehow rarely ever get noticed I'd say he's been held 100+ times this year, easy. Good point on Donald, as it should be easier to get pressure up the middle with a bad field (and simply because Donald is so darn good)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
lmbo lol yeah that was it! :)

This is a very bad matchup for the Redskins and I think the Rams are going to get that back to back win monkey off their backs today.

Yeah, it seems the holds where Quinn lines up somehow rarely ever get noticed I'd say he's been held 100+ times this year, easy. Good point on Donald, as it should be easier to get pressure up the middle with a bad field (and simply because Donald is so darn good)

OLmen are smart and they are holding in a way the refs can't see, they don't have the right angle but the TV cameras do. So we see it and wonder why they don't call it but they don't have the view we do, they are in an odd position and they are field level where the cameras are providing a bit of a birds eye view.

They need to add an extra guy to the backfield, it's the only way to fix the problem. One guy on the one side of the LOS and ALL the rest on the other.

American_football_officials_positions.svg