New PS pick-up...Thoughts?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What are his chances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Anybody watch this guy? I'm interested in anyone that has seen him play...
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/archive/1737426

Trail arrived at Florida as a top high school recruit, but after coach Urban Meyer left, he also chose to leave, winding up at Norfolk State where he played the last three years, the past two seasons as the full-time starter. So far in his Norfolk State career, Trail has combined for 38 tackles for loss, 18.5 sacks, eight forced fumbles, five fumble recoveries, two interceptions and 229 total tackles.

"Lynden certainly stands out on the field with his size and ability," an AFC East executive told NFLDraftScout.com. "In my opinion, he's still discovering how good he can be and as he learns better reaction to movement and better recognizes what blockers are doing, this player should get better. A lot of football left in his future."

It has been a long road for Trail, who did not start playing football until he was "10 or 11" because he had epilepsy and his mother feared he would have a seizure if hit too hard.

He played on the same team as Vikings quarterback Teddy Bridgewater growing up, and played wide receiver his first year of junior varisty. He considered quitting football before his sophomore year, but was spurred by a coaching change and went on to catch 17 touchdown passes.

A wide receiver/tight end 'tweener, Trail switched to defense the following year and racked up 77 tackles and 14 years. That caught the eye of the Florida coaching staff even before Trail backed it up with 95 tackles and 20 sacks on defense and eight touchdowns on offense as a senior.

"When I made transition to defense, I fell in love with it," Trail told NFLDraftScout.com. "I could go hit someone and not get in trouble for it? That felt great. I thought I was getting pretty good at it, so maybe I could make a profession at it."

Trail said he made the decision to redshirt his freshman season at Gainesville to add strength, and put on 40 pounds. But Meyer left after the season and Trail was soon gone, along with 16 other recruits from his class.

"My hard work was getting overlooked. It was my time to depart," Trail said. "I don't want to be where I'm not wanted."

Trail was highly sought-after, but did not want to go the junior college route and looked into Norfolk State on the advice of his high school coaches. He has excelled in the team's 3-4 defensive scheme.

Trail is now seeking to become only the second Norfolk State player drafted since 1997.

"That would be huge. It would totally be a blessing," he said of potentially being drafted. "To help put Norfolk State back on the map. More scouts need to come here."

Trail is raw in some fundamental areas with his anticipation, hand use and point of attack power, but offers intriguing tools to develop and projects as an intriguing mid-to-late round investment.

STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES

STRENGTHS: Certainly passes the eye test with his tall, lengthy frame, but he also looks the part in motion, showing impressive movement skills for his body type. He is a flexible athlete with smooth change of direction skills and long strides to accelerate quickly in pursuit.
Trail has the body bend to dip and run the arc at 45-degree angle without losing speed, displaying good get-off quickness and a consistent motor. He uses his length well to corral ballcarriers and is at his best when he extends at the point of attack to properly work off blocks.

WEAKNESSES: When rushing off the edge, can be slowed by contact at times and struggles to quickly get back up to full speed, not consistently converting speed to power. He needs to continue and develop his hand use and overall strategy to shed blocks quicker. Has a lean lower body and with his taller stature, leverage will likely never be a strength.
Plays mostly linebacker in Norfolk State's 3-4 base scheme, but also has experience with his hand on the ground, which is likely his best NFL position.
--Dane Brugler

http://www.nsuspartans.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2276
2014 (Senior)
Started all 12 games for the second year in a row … became just the second NSU defensive player in the Division I era (since 1997) to earn first-team All-MEAC honors and some form of FCS All-America recognition in three straight years (DB Terrell Whitehead was the other, from 2007-09) … voted to the All-MEAC first team at linebacker … named to The Sports Network and Associated Press FCS All-America second team … a finalist for the Buck Buchanan Award as the top FCS defensive player for the second straight season … finished the season with 91 tackles (11th in MEAC), 11.5 tackles for loss (17th in MEAC) and 5.0 sacks (tied for 17th in MEAC) … also registered nine quarterback hurries, four pass breakups, two forced fumbles, two blocked kicks and one fumble recovery on the year … helped NSU finish the season ranked No. 2 in the nation in the FCS in total defense and seventh in scoring defense … NSU’s first-ever Senior Bowl invitee … also invited to the 2015 NFL Combine, the first Spartan to be invited to the combine since 2009 … also was invited to participate in the East-West Shrine Game, FCS Senior Scout Bowl and NFLPA Bowl … opened the season with eight tackles, four tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks, two forced fumbles, two pass breakups and a fumble recovery at defending CAA champion Maine … was named the College Football Performance Awards (CFPA) FCS National Defensive Performer and Linebacker of the Week as well as the HBCU Defensive Player of the Week by both Boxtorow and the Batchelor Pad after the Maine game … at Maine, his four tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks, two PBU and two forced fumbles all tied single-game career highs … had five tackles and half a sack against Liberty … made seven stops with half a sack, a quarterback hurry and a blocked punt at William & Mary … was in on eight tackles (five solo) with one sack and a quarterback hurry at FBS Buffalo … also had eight tackles in each of his next two games, against Morgan State and Savannah State … made a season-high 12 tackles, including half a sack, and blocked a field goal against Delaware State … had two QB hurries in consecutive games at Hampton (two tackles) and Florida A&M (seven tackles) … recorded 11 tackles, 1.5 for loss, against nationally-ranked Bethune-Cookman … made nine tackles, half for loss, vs. N.C. Central … capped the year with six tackles and a sack at South Carolina State.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/02/25/lynden-trail-nfl-draft
Who Is Lynden Trail?
Linebacker or defensive end? (For that matter, offense or defense?) From Florida to little Norfolk State, how Trail grew into the 2015 draft’s most intriguing mystery man

interesting listen.....he seems very flexible...like, he'll do anything...and I love the measureables....

http://www.espn.com/blog/ncfnation/...olk-states-lynden-trail-getting-nfl-attention

There are a number of great players in HBCU football. There’s no question about that. However, Norfolk State senior linebacker Lynden Trail has put himself in a very special category with his brilliant play the last two seasons.

Trail, a 6-foot-7, 250-pounder, can do it all. He has the size, speed and experience to play the pass as well as the run, and he knows how to pick his spots in terms of rushing the passer. These qualities have made him a candidate for the Buck Buchanan Award, which is presented annually to the top defensive player at the FCS level.

At 6-foot-7, former Florida Gator Lynden Trail is now receiving attention from NFL scouts as a linebacker at Norfolk State. Courtesy of Norfolk State University
In addition, NFL scouts have been coming out in droves to see the Spartans' talented defensive player. Trail has attracted nearly every NFL team to Norfolk to watch him play the game at an extremely high level. Some scouts have even come several times to see him..

Trail started his college career at the University of Florida before transferring to Norfolk State; this is his third season with the Spartans. He really opened a lot of eyes last season when he was named a first-team All-American by The Sports Network and was a Black College All-American by the Sheridan Broadcast Network. He had 95 total tackles, 12.5 tackles for loss and 8.5 sacks in 2013.

Trail has put together another impressive season in 2014 for the Spartans. He has 21 solo and 37 total tackles, with 8.5 tackles for loss. These numbers, along with his overall play, have kept a steady stream of NFL scouts at his games.

“This is the second or third time, probably the fourth time, in my years as a coach here we’ve had a player who will probably be selected in the top three rounds,” Norfolk State head coach Pete Adrian said. “That’s what happens at this level. We’ve had over 100 scouts here at the start of the season.

“We get three, four, five a day. Now, we’re getting people back for the third and fourth time. We’ve had heads of scouting, assistant GMs and all that stuff. They want make sure a player who plays at this level of competition can go on and play at the next level. I give Lynden a lot of credit. He’s staying focused and thinking about the football season and letting cards fall where they may.”

Trail has apparently been playing his cards right. Adrian has seen him develop on and off the field.

“He’s a really focused young man,” Adrian said. “He’s done a great job. He started out at the University of Florida and for whatever reason decided to leave and he’s been here for three years. He works hard in the offseason. He works hard on the practice field. He’s going to graduate in December with his degree, which everyone is excited about, and it certainly looks like he’ll have the opportunity to play at the next level.”

Norfolk State (3-5 overall, 3-1 MEAC) will visit Florida A&M (2-6 overall, 2-2 MEAC) Saturday in Tallahassee for an important conference matchup. The Spartans are one of six teams in the MEAC with one loss. They want to stay in the hunt for the league championship, so it’s a big game for NSU. You can expect a good crowd at the game as well as plenty of NFL scouts on hand to take another peek at Lynden Trail.
edit
Senior bowl stuff
http://jacksonville.com/sports/foot...er-lynden-trail-makes-plays-shows-versatility
“I’m not at my peak yet,” Trail said. “There’s a lot of room for improvement. I’m big, but I’m still learning how to use my body in certain ways. If I get the right coaching to mold me into what they want me to be, I feel like I can be a freak for years to come.”

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...e-learned-from-day-3-of-senior-bowl-practices
Norfolk State prospect Lynden Trail caught the eye of plenty of NFL scouts during his time on the practice field, and he played multiple positions. He lined up at defensive end with his hand in the ground and stood up as an outside linebacker, trying to cover the flat against running backs and tight ends. He really flashed on Thursday, though, showing off what he could do at tight end.
http://www.scout.com/nfl/texans/story/1556174-the-sky-is-the-limit-for-the-texans-lynden-trail
Football players like Trail, with his size, length and speed, do not come around often. Trail realizes that the real test to prove he belongs is still yet to come.

“My dream isn’t officially realized just yet. My thing is, you just have to keep pushing and keep working hard to get where you want in life. Nothing is going to be handed to you.”
http://wavy.com/2015/04/29/from-nsu-to-the-nfl-lynden-trail-hoping-to-fulfill-dream/

Last edited:

…..

Legend
Maybe the kid has a chance.....just seeing people asking for Aaron Donald to play more DE tells me we have depth issues.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've seen him play. We'll see what Waufle can do. Always has been talented, but he was undersized while at UF and didn't play much.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
That is what the Practice Squad is for to develop talent and let's hope the Rams are heading down the right Trail with Lynden.
images

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
If he can run, sounds like he could be a contributor on ST's. Then we could dump Sims and promote Longacre to active duty.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
So Who got Cut from the PS, or did we have to cut someone!?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So Who got Cut from the PS, or did we have to cut someone!?
Williams got cut....Johnson was moved to the active roster...Creating a spot for Trail...C'mon Dave! You gotta keep up with the insignificant facts of the practice squad!!!!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Williams got cut....Johnson was moved to the active roster...Creating a spot for Trail...C'mon Dave! You gotta keep up with the insignificant facts of the practice squad!!!!!
:cry:I'm really really will try harder to keep up with this most important part of the Team!!:cry::help::(

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Looks like a Williams guy: He'll find him a reliable role to mesh into our scheme. Especially as a DE/LB hybrid.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He may be decent long term. I'm skeptical about this season. It happens, but it's rare players available after week 3 for practice squads are ready to help. He could make the team - if there are a LOT of injuries. Otherwise I'd guess develop him this season, sign him to the larger roster at the end of the year, and see if he can help next year. He seems physically talented but raw due to his playing offense initially

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I loved this guy at his draft year. I'm glad that we finally got him. I think that he can make an impact as a defensive end and special teams player, much like Sims. He's actually very similar to Sims in that he's a tall and lean defensive player who went to a small school.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I can't respond because you didn't have an option that said "You can go ahead and book tickets for Super Bowl XLI in Houston".