New Orleans Saints player: Steve Spagnuolo should be fired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhxRam

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/20 ... _stev.html

Players throughout the season gave a uniform voice of support for New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo and the drastically different scheme he brought to the team when the Saints hired him one year ago. That doesn't sound like the case anymore.

One Saints player, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said a "resounding" yes when asked if he thought Spagnuolo should be fired after just one season in New Orleans as the Saints broke the single-season record for most yards allowed.

"Trust me all the guys were being politically correct this season when answering questions," the player said. "It's bad.

The player added: "To give up what we gave up can't be all talent. Look at where his units (have) been ranked before. I think one top 10?"

The Saints finished last in the NFL in total defense, last in run defense, 31st in pass defense, 31st in points allowed and tied for 29th in sacks.

"Players have no say in anything," the player said. "It was (a) complete opposite from before where it was a simple D that players had lot of control and say. We couldn't suggest (expletive)...Nothing ever changed. It was his way only.

"Don't even get me started on lack (of) ability to adjust during games. Bad, bad, bad."

The player also said every position group on defense was frustrated with Spagnuolo's scheme all season. "(It was) tough putting on a supportive, everything-will-be-OK face, for you guys (the media) all the time," the player said.

The player said it wasn't just wasn't Spagnuolo's scheme that rubbed players the wrong way. It was Spagnuolo as a coach and a person.

"He does have that good-guy persona, but he is a control freak and treats people like crap," the player said. "(Spagnuolo has) no patience and zero personality. (He) has a way of pissing players and our defensive coaches off with how he says and does things. (I) think it's even harder after having (former defensive coordinator) Gregg (Williams), who guys enjoyed."

Not sure what to make of this. Disgruntled employee? He DID show signs of being a control freak while he was here, but what HC isnt?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Re: New Orleans Saints player: Steve Spagnuolo should be fir

Losing breeds animosity, so I'm sure they were all pissed off with the results. When he was in New York, and that defense was dominating, everybody loved the guy. I think those players in New Orleans are just pissed off because they had to change everything and the system is SO different. Doesn't seem like it's fun for them anymore (obviously).

But the 'control freak' thing is rearing its ugly head again.
There has to be something to that because it's not the first time we've heard *that*.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

X said:
Losing breeds animosity, so I'm sure they were all pissed off with the results. When he was in New York, and that defense was dominating, everybody loved the guy. I think those players in New Orleans are just pissed off because they had to change everything and the system is SO different. Doesn't seem like it's fun for them anymore (obviously).

But the 'control freak' thing is rearing its ugly head again.
There has to be something to that because it's not the first time we've heard *that*.

True. How much of his success in NY was due to that front 4 though? I remember when Sheridan took over for him after he became the Rams coach, and they were terrible. Then Fewell comes in and they go back to and win another SB. This year? 30th ranked defense in the league. Hard to figure those guys out.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

Y'bit....never mind , sleeping dog and all that :shifty:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

One player?

Without a name, hmmm 3rd stringer much?

PhxRam

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Angry Ram said:
One player?

What does a 3rd stringer have to gain by calling out Spagnuolo? He certainly has alot more to lose then to gain.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

Sounds sickening-ly familiar. Thank God its no longer our problem.

bluecoconuts

Legend

It sounds a little bit like guys weren't buying into the scheme. With the Spags defense if not everyone buys in it seems to be completely shit.

The control freak thing, definitely sounds familiar though.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

I remember Laurinaitis saying something to the effect that the coaches should listen to the players suggestions, but he was very PC when he said it.

Oh well, not our problem anymore.

I hope we get a quality DC in here though. I think that we will. There was a big difference , IMO in the defense the last few weeks, like the playcalling changed. Anyone else notice that?

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny

Must have taken down some pictures.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Warner4Prez said:
Must have taken down some pictures.
Likely. And the informant isn't really a player. It's their equipment manager.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

PhxRam said:
Angry Ram said:
One player?

What does a 3rd stringer have to gain by calling out Spagnuolo? He certainly has alot more to lose then to gain.

I don't like how he hid his name behind it, talk to the guy instead of bashing in public. Just b/c you disagree with a guy you work with doesn't mean he needs to publically call him out.

Speeps

Starter

This sounds very familiar. I feel bad for Spags. That defense was the worst in NFL history. I don't think many people are going to buy into a system if it isn't producing results, and has been dubbed the worst in NFL history.

PhxRam

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Angry Ram said:
PhxRam said:
Angry Ram said:
One player?

I don't like how he hid his name behind it, talk to the guy instead of bashing in public. Just b/c you disagree with a guy you work with doesn't mean he needs to publically call him out.

Maybe he DID try and approach Spags behind closed doors. Sounds like Spags had the suggestion box removed among other things.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

This isn't really relevant anymore, but youz can discuss it in OT if the horse ain't dead enough.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Re: Minor Site Changes

Not sure to make of this.
If some of the players feel this way then it's going to be a rough road for him. The Saints had some talent, nothing like the Giants though. But giving up the most yards in history is a just wow moment.

He's not as bad a DC as this year showed nor as good as he was with Giants. Since he said he didn't run the D here, just advised who knows. Maybe the Ram players are just much more gentlemanly in sharing their opinions.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Re: Minor Site Changes

Yamahopper said:
Not sure to make of this.
If some of the players feel this way then it's going to be a rough road for him. The Saints had some talent, nothing like the Giants though. But giving up the most yards in history is a just wow moment.

He's not as bad a DC as this year showed nor as good as he was with Giants. Since he said he didn't run the D here, just advised who knows. Maybe the Ram players are just much more gentlemanly in sharing their opinions.
That's fair.

I saw enough improvement from 2009-2010 that I figured he was a good teacher and good coach. Nothing ever leaked out of Rams Park about problems between he and the players, or he and the other coaches. Just the equipment manager - and of course, Karney. Karney's a bit of a bitch though when it comes to coaches. He had a lot of bad things to say about the Saints too after he was let go from there as well.

After 2011 rolled around, and we had SO many injuries, no off-season, a new system, and such a rough schedule, that I figured he was a victim of circumstance and should have been given a mulligan for that year and another shot at it. Now? In retrospect? I'm not so sure. I think he was in over his head here, and didn't set himself up for success with good coaches, nor did he make the best decisions with Bradford or the roster.

So ... maybe I was wrong. I dunno. I'm just glad we're headed in the right direction finally.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo

Anyone pondered that he may have lost a step going from D/C to HC (deserving at time) back to D/C. I'mjust a novice football guy but I never liked the fit with the Saints.

He also dealt with some key injuries and those ummmm suspension things on key players both aspects. That's not a free pass of an excuse. He's a veteran seasoned football defensive guru but I think his prime days are behind. He still produced an amazing phase with the Giants that will never be erased.