NEW: Looking Back On 1999- How It Could Repeat in 2012

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Anonymous

To me three things were not addressed that were crucial in '99.

1. Speed on offense, in particular the WRs. Bonafide #1-#3 WRs with top tier speed who could catch the ball. Talented #4 and #5 as well.

2. An excellent FB. (Which was the case for the entire GSOT run.)

3. Talented STs with Hakim and Horne.

STL-Rams

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good point... I devoted, however, I devoted an entire slide towards the need to upgrade at WR, however. As for fullback, I think we can cover that one pretty easily. Good point on ST.

Anonymous

STL-Rams said:
Good point... I devoted an entire slide towards the need to upgrade at WR, however. As for fullback, I think we can cover that one pretty easily. Good point on ST.

Well there's upgrading at WR but that's not like having 2 potential HOF WRs which is what the '99 team had. Bruce and Holt had speed, hands, crisp route running.....closest this team has is Lloyd with his hands. We're woefully lacking at WR. I hope you're right about FB. No doubt JF and Schott give it attention.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
squeaky wheel said:
To me three things were not addressed that were crucial in '99.

1. Speed on offense, in particular the WRs. Bonafide #1-#3 WRs with top tier speed who could catch the ball. Talented #4 and #5 as well.

2. An excellent FB. (Which was the case for the entire GSOT run.)

3. Talented STs with Hakim and Horne.
I agree. I think the Rams could have a 99 type turn around, but not this year. They would need to get more pieces in place and make a the following year.

I don't think we're that far away. We have some good upcoming players at the most crucial positions: defensive line, QB, CB, etc.

STL-Rams

Starter
squeaky wheel said:
STL-Rams said:
Good point... I devoted an entire slide towards the need to upgrade at WR, however. As for fullback, I think we can cover that one pretty easily. Good point on ST.

Well there's upgrading at WR but that's not like having 2 potential HOF WRs which is what the '99 team had. Bruce and Holt had speed, hands, crisp route running.....closest this team has is Lloyd with his hands. We're woefully lacking at WR. I hope you're right about FB. No doubt JF and Schott give it attention.

You do not have to have two potential HOF WR's necessarily, however, to make it to the Super Bowl. We were very fortunate in that regard.

Again, I said it was much more likely that we become contenders in 2013 and beyond.. not this year.

However, a retained Lloyd would be very solid along with a Holt-like rookie year from one of Blackmon, Jeffery, Sanu, or Wright.

Plus Salas and Amendola and suddenly we could have a pretty darn good receiving corps, possibly with Pettis and DX (who will have a full offseason without a significant surgery this year).

Anonymous

STL-Rams said:
squeaky wheel said:
STL-Rams said:

You do not have to have two potential HOF WR's necessarily, however, to make it to the Super Bowl. We were very fortunate in that regard.

Again, I said it was much more likely that we become contenders in 2013 and beyond.. not this year.

However, a retained Lloyd would be very solid along with a Holt-like rookie year from one of Blackmon, Jeffery, Sanu, or Wright.

Plus Salas and Amendola and suddenly we could have a pretty darn good receiving corps, possibly with Pettis and DX (who will have a full offseason without a significant surgery this year).

I can't see a comparison between the two even with the players you mentioned. Holt, Bruce, Hakim stretched the field which is crucial. Faulk as a decoy/blocker/relief valve/fail safe....we're nowhere near that now. I like Lloyd's hands but until our OC/QB/WRs are on the same page I'm not expecting anything remotely looking like the '99 team any time soon. Missing in all this is a Faulk in his prime obtained for PEANUTS as well as a QB obtained for PEANUTS and an offensive strategy far outpacing the defenses of the day.....and an incredible lack of injuries resulting in missed games other than Green. I think too much is lost in common discussion regarding what really happened in '99. It was a perfect storm.

STL-Rams

Starter
squeaky wheel said:
STL-Rams said:
squeaky wheel said:
STL-Rams said:

I can't see a comparison between the two even with the players you mentioned. Holt, Bruce, Hakim stretched the field which is crucial. Faulk as a decoy/blocker/relief valve/fail safe....we're nowhere near that now. I like Lloyd's hands but until our OC/QB/WRs are on the same page I'm not expecting anything remotely looking like the '99 team any time soon. Missing in all this is a Faulk in his prime obtained for PEANUTS as well as a QB obtained for PEANUTS and an offensive strategy far outpacing the defenses of the day.....and an incredible lack of injuries resulting in missed games other than Green. I think too much is lost in common discussion regarding what really happened in '99. It was a perfect storm.

we were not anywhere near it then, either, before the offseason began...

but we added Holt, Faulk, Timmerman, McCollum, Green... promoted Warner to 2nd string... drafted Dre Bly...

I think we are a year or two away myself, as I pointed out here as well as in the article. But it is not impossible. We have not yet had free agency or the draft so who knows what we will look like after that especially after the return of Amendola, Salas, Bartell, Murphy, Fletcher?, Saffold, and Smith...

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
I you're looking for a turnaround for the Rams, don't look to the 99 Rams. The best example of what we may see is what the whiners did. If the defense can set the tone, the offense will have time to find itself.

The defense needs some pieces, but what we had at the end of last season could wind up being experienced depth for 2012.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It took new coach Dick Vermeil 3 years to get the Rams to the top during that run in 1999. Expect at least that long in real time. Also, I don't know if the league had this many high powered talent teams in the NFC that need to decline so the Rams can get over the hump even if we make the playoffs. The Packers, Saints, Giants and Whiners need to get tarnished/old and stripped in free agency, and they will, over the next 3 years. We should be just right to get back on top as we rebuild. I know we crushed the Saints this year, that was sweet, so who knows, all I do know is it's a new day, a new coach and I'm really stoked to NEVER NEVER go 1-15 or 2-14 ever again. Go Rams!

Anonymous

RamsSince1969 said:
It took new coach Dick Vermeil 3 years to get the Rams to the top during that run in 1999. Expect at least that long in real time. Also, I don't know if the league had this many high powered talent teams in the NFC that need to decline so the Rams can get over the hump even if we make the playoffs. The Packers, Saints, Giants and Whiners need to get tarnished/old and stripped in free agency, and they will, over the next 3 years. We should be just right to get back on top as we rebuild. I know we crushed the Saints this year, that was sweet, so who knows, all I do know is it's a new day, a new coach and I'm really stoked to NEVER NEVER go 1-15 or 2-14 ever again. Go Rams!

Well said!

STL-Rams

Starter
Ram Quixote said:
I you're looking for a turnaround for the Rams, don't look to the 99 Rams. The best example of what we may see is what the whiners did. If the defense can set the tone, the offense will have time to find itself.

The defense needs some pieces, but what we had at the end of last season could wind up being experienced depth for 2012.

I like that comparison re: 49ers

steferfootball

Starter
I feel like we are closer than we think.

IMO, the Rams were by far the hardest hit team by the lockout last year.

If some guys come off injuries well, we have four good corners. Rod Hood didn't play half bad down the stretch either.

We've got two good safties.

Some question marks at DT and OLB.

Offensivly Lloyd, Blackmon, Amendola, Sallas ain't lookin half bad right now. (I have Determined that Blackmon is already a Ram -- please don't mind my delusions)

I think Saffold will show vast improvement with a full offseason and some better coaching, so fill 2 out of 3: OG, C, OT.