New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamBill

Legend
NFL Owners Meetings Recap--with Demoff/Goodell/Grubman Comments

Fox 2 Sports Director Martin Kilcoyne recaps his trip to San Francisco earlier this week, where the latest NFL Owners meetings took place. Among the many topics discussed at the meetings was the possibility of a team or teams moving to Los Angeles for the 2016 NFL season. The Rams are among the teams mentioned as possibly moving to Southern California, along with the Chargers and Raiders. Martin talks it over with Rams Chief Operating Officer Kevin Demoff, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and NFL Executive Vice President Eric Grubman. (5:09)

Watch Owners Meetings Recap

iced

TV revenue wouldn't change until 2022 or whenever the contract is up correct? I expect either stadium has two teams by then.

Of course it would change - you have advertisers, local businesses, stations, etc. that have a new city to broadcast a game on; every week with two teams (1 home game every week)

rick6fan

UDFA
Of course it would change - you have advertisers, local businesses, stations, etc. that have a new city to broadcast a game on; every week with two teams (1 home game every week)

I don't know--local tv revenue might decrease. Does LA currently get 4 games plus national or just 3 like everyone else? And if it does get 3, does that change to 2 so there is no competition to the home team on local tv? How does that work in NY or SF/Oak?

iced

I don't know--local tv revenue might decrease. Does LA currently get 4 games plus national or just 3 like everyone else? And if it does get 3, does that change to 2 so there is no competition to the home team on local tv? How does that work in NY or SF/Oak?

Better question is if the NFL tossed that part of the black out rule with it, where you can only watch your home team

RamBill

Legend
No St. Louis stadium vote this summer; deadline passed
• By David Hunn

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_002550c1-d100-5480-b531-9374d760e044.html

ST. LOUIS • City residents will not vote this summer on the use of their tax dollars to build a new riverfront football stadium.

The deadline to place a measure on the August ballot was Tuesday. City officials submitted a $180 million bond issue to the Board of Election Commissioners, but nothing else.

And there is nothing scheduled on the November ballot, though the Board of Aldermen could request a special election, said Gary Stoff, Republican director at the election board. The next available date for such a vote would be Nov. 3, he said. The deadline to file for that election is Aug. 25.

It is unclear, however, whether city voters will get the opportunity to weigh in on the use of city tax dollars to help finance a proposed $985 million downtown stadium.

The public board that runs the Edward Jones Dome filed suit last month in state court here, arguing that a 2002 city ordinance requiring a public vote prior to the use of tax dollars on a new stadium is “overly broad, vague and ambiguous.” The suit asks a judge to rule that the city law doesn’t apply, conflicts with Missouri statutes or is unconstitutional.

Judge David L. Dowd will hear arguments at 10 a.m. Thursday from attorneys for the city, the Edward Jones Dome and three city residents seeking to intervene.

City tax dollars are key to the stadium funding plan, and could help sway coming National Football League decisions. Gov. Jay Nixon’s two-man task force is counting on at least $250 million from the state and city, not including extra taxes, tax incentives and seat license fees.

bluecoconuts

Legend

3 games.

It looks like NY does the same thing. They seem to put them on different schedules, early for one of the teams, late for the other, unless there's a primetime game.

bluecoconuts

Legend

They already broadcast games in LA, its not a new city. The only difference would be instead of random AFC or NFC games, they would play whichever teams were playing.

I don't know the details of how it works, but people have said the Rams don't offer anything TV revenue wise until a new contract is made, so if that's the case it should be the same for any of the teams.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Interesting quote from that article you linked iced

Neither team would make much if any money until that obligation to GS is paid off. It's also interesting that they're going about this in a way to get out of paying hundreds of millions in tax dollars in a time where most every state is hungry for tax dollars. Definitely one thing Inglewood has over Carson. It's not costing hundreds of millions in lost taxes. The only thing Inglewood does is potentially reimburse Kroenke and his partners in money they spend on infrastructure that the city would normally be on the hook for.
Um... $800 Million in PSLs? Seriously?

iced

They already broadcast games in LA, its not a new city. The only difference would be instead of random AFC or NFC games, they would play whichever teams were playing.

I don't know the details of how it works, but people have said the Rams don't offer anything TV revenue wise until a new contract is made, so if that's the case it should be the same for any of the teams.

I don't buy that - they wouldn't have local revenue then, which is part of the reason for a salary cap bump

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/NFL-revenue.aspx

What changed between December and now, besides a $25 million bump in CBS’s Thursday night TV package, was higher-than-expected local revenue. When the NFL salary cap is set, the local-revenue calculation is pegged to the preceding year’s financial results. Between December (when the NFL makes its first projection to owners) and the beginning of the league year in March (when the cap is set), teams update their 2014 totals.

Think about it - the NFL forces the a city to only watch their local team (unless they have Sunday Ticket).. in the mind of an advertiser, thats guaranteed viewership.

When you move to a larger market, you have a bigger audience - more people to target. Add in Football games are a guaranteed viewership, and a larger market, now the price of spots go up.

Last year The NFL Charged $4.5 million for 30 seconds during the super bowl. Why do you think they charged so much? Because its a gigantic audience with Companies and businesses competing for those spots.

When you combine viewers in the 2nd largest TV market + competitors for those spots = you can see how they reap the rewards

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Relocation fee thought....if the fee is in part to compensate owners for the "market", does that mean a single team moving there would pay double? If the fee is set at $500M, would that mean Oak and SD each have to pay $250M? And if Kroenke went rouge he would owe the full $500M? Anyone have info on this?
Yeah he should pay double if he did this:
Stan Kroenke Rouge.jpg

iced

Um... $800 Million in PSLs? Seriously?

yea I thought that was a stretch. But the Giants/Jets are hoping to get $725 and Dallas believes $650

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/p...t-fund-a-stadium-like-the-49ers-the-psl-issue
According to Sports Business Daily, the New York Jets and New York Giants are projected to generate a combined $725 million in PSLs to help pay for the $1.6 billion MetLife Stadium, while the Dallas Cowboys are projected to generate $650 million to help cover total costs of the $1.2 billion AT&T Stadium.

If NY can do it, I would imagine the home of the super rich won't have an issue

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You forgot to add "and abandoned it 20 years ago..." :whistle:

Saying the Rams built the Los Angeles market as it currently exists is 100% disingenuous. They built exactly squat there and as far as I know, there is still no physical stadium on the Inglewood property, just an outline of a cleared former horse track that COULD house a stadium eventually...but even that would have no claim to having "built the market". The LA market is so heavily sought because of its population and potential to advertisers, period. The Rams have zero to do with that.
Ease up just a little - Mkay? By that I mean that you need to back off the confrontational tone and just stick to points.

That being said, there is a market of sorts for all three teams. There is quite a bit of evidence that the Rams still have quite a following there. Just because Georgia and Shaw orchestrated a move from there didn't mean the fans abandoned the team. I know a lot of Rams fans from that era and area and very few of them ever abandoned the team. If the Rams come back, they will show up and be overjoyed to do so.

You can say that they didn't build a fan base or the market but history doesn't just go away.

bluecoconuts

Legend
yea I thought that was a stretch. But the Giants/Jets are hoping to get $725 and Dallas believes $650

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/p...t-fund-a-stadium-like-the-49ers-the-psl-issue

If NY can do it, I would imagine the home of the super rich won't have an issue

Those are also pretty well established fan bases with long histories in the area. Not so much with the Raiders and especially the Chargers. The Carson location could honestly push some fans away as well, especially when they have to wait 4 years to wait until a game anyway (that could make some people delay on buying them).

Think about it - the NFL forces the a city to only watch their local team (unless they have Sunday Ticket).. in the mind of an advertiser, thats guaranteed viewership.

When you move to a larger market, you have a bigger audience - more people to target. Add in Football games are a guaranteed viewership, and a larger market, now the price of spots go up.

Last year The NFL Charged $4.5 million for 30 seconds during the super bowl. Why do you think they charged so much? Because its a gigantic audience with Companies and businesses are competing for those spots.

When you combine viewers in the 2nd largest TV market + competitors for those spots = you can see how they reap the rewards

I don't really know how all that works to be honest, I was just going off of what I heard from other people in relation to benefits the league got from the Rams. St Louis fans were dismissing the idea that the Rams moving was a financial benefit to the league until the TV contracts were up for renewal. So you're saying that they are a financial benefit. That would help Inglewood though, no? If the Rams are indeed the most desired team by LA (according to the only poll we have, which was quite non-scientific) then wouldn't that be the team to stick there? If fans don't care as much for the team, they can just simply watch something else, or continue to use DirectTV as many NFL fans probably already do. If the market study were to also suggest that the Rams are the local favorite (and honestly I would expect they would be, especially from who the people who most likely got the surveys) then it would be expected the NFL would want that one. Especially if the general thought is that either stadium will eventually house two teams as it currently is. Rams and Chargers would be a much more appealing duo than Raiders and Chargers from that standpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.