New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I guess we shouldn't bother building a new stadium since it's an obvious bluff. After all, he SAID he wasn't going to move the Rams.

Anything is possible at this point. I don't see how anyone can discount anything as out of the question.

I concur nobody knows how this is going to end, however, I thought Bob Costas offered up an interesting point about the Oakland Raiders being the stepchild of the NFL and in fact their owner looks like the red headed step child.
144928399.jpg

RamBill

Legend
Carson Raiders lack rhyme, reason
By Art Spander

http://www.sfexaminer.com/sanfrancisco/spander-carson-raiders-lack-rhyme-reason/Content?oid=2931192

LOS ANGELES — The Raiders are not here. At least I could not find them. Neither are the Chargers. Nor the Rams. Nor a new stadium. What they have here, in the suburbs of Inglewood and Carson, is a battle to get an NFL franchise and a lot of talk about spending millions of dollars for a team which never might arrive.

They’re already planning for a Super Bowl. Not involving a local team, since one doesn’t exist, but a local stadium, although that doesn’t exist, either. They’ll have one, we’re told, but don’t book your seats yet. Don’t do anything until all an earthmover moves earth some place.

We know the Raiders want out of Oakland. And they don’t want to share Levi’s Stadium with the 49ers, although from what Jed York said of the $1.3 billion baby the other day — “It’s not quite a home” — maybe he’d trade it to the Raiders for a couple of linebackers and a parking space to be named later.

We also know the NFL, the league of deflated footballs and domestic abuse, is preparing to have a team in southern California by 2016. That’s the region, not the institution where O.J. Simpson went to school. Locating a place that team would play might be an issue, since UCLA is at the Rose Bowl, USC is at the Coliseum and nobody could get a stadium erected in 15 months.

The Raiders and San Diego Chargers supposedly are going to share a stadium in Carson, which was named after a land-holding company, Carson Estates, not Johnny Carson, and currently is the site of a landing zone for the Goodyear blimp. That is if St. Louis (nee Los Angeles) Rams don’t build a stadium in Inglewood, closer to civilization.

A person who deals in this stuff points out nobody is going to build a stadium for $1 billion — the current going rate although it will cost much more — without a team. Therefore, in this race among three would-be franchises which would locate in two would-be vicinities, the probable winner is the guy who wants to come to Inglewood, Stan Kroenke of the Rams.

Kroenke has a franchise. He has plans for a stadium. He has Inglewood, near Los Angeles International, nearer the Beautiful People of SoCal (Beverly Hills, Westwood Village, and Santa Monica), and he has $6 billion. The entire community of Carson may not be worth that much, but Carson is willing to fight Kroenke.

“There is an effort afoot to undermine our efforts to secure an NFL franchise,” Albert Robles, mayor of Carson told the Los Angeles Times. “If they’re able to create distractions or in any way delay our moving forward, it would undermine our efforts.

“I don’t want to attribute it to the city of Inglewood, per se, or to the Rams per se. But there are other parties that take it upon themselves to say, ‘What could we do to slow down Carson?’ They’ll resort to whatever they have to do.”

What the NFL is not going to do is allow stadiums and two or three teams within 15 miles of each other. In the Black Hole and environs, the sound of sniggering is detected.

“Without the Raiders, picking Kroenke over (Chargers owner Dean) Spanos would seem a safer bet,” wrote the San Diego Union-Tribune. “Nobody wants a struggling team, and either must build a new market in Los Angeles while recovering well north of $1 billion in construction costs, after the sale of seat licenses and NFL funds.

“Even if the Chargers-Raiders collaboration survives, owners must decide whether L.A. is really ready for two teams . . .

“At least one owner, Jerry Jones of the Dallas Cowboys, seems happy to let Kroenke decide the matter by moving the Rams without permission, as the late Raiders owner Al Davis famously did in 1982 after winning an antitrust lawsuit against the NFL.”

How reassuring to Raider partisans to have a reference to their guy, Al. The trouble these days most of the time the only Davis linked with the Raider’s is Al’s son, Mark, who keeps waiting for the impossible — a replacement for the Oakland Coliseum. The good news happened on the field, not off. Ex-Raider coach and broadcaster John Madden, told the Los Angeles Times, “Jack Del Rio is the right coach for (the Raiders) ... He’s going to make them legitimate.”

Even playing in Oakland of all places.

Art Spander has been covering Bay Area sports since 1965 and also writes on www.artspander.com and www.bleacherreport.com. Email him at typos@aol.com.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Didn't it say that the LA venue is yet to be built as well? So they awarded LA with a team before having a venue in place - no? Also, a 22,000 seat venue being built for the new LA club tells me that the MLS may be more interested in smaller intimate venues. IIRR - that is about the same size as the other MLS LA soccer only venue.
I believe so, but I'm sure there was reassurance that the LA venue would be put up if they were awarded another MLS team while there is no guarantee that the St. Louis stadium will be built if they were awarded the team. The St. Louis stadium hinges on there being an NFL occupant and of evidently that wasn't going to be settled in the time frame that the MLS needed. I'm just saying that it's short sighted to think this was only a sign that they see something in LA or any of the other cities vs St. Louis. It's no secret that St. Louis is big on soccer so there's more to it than just that, imo.

Moostache

Rookie
That is if St. Louis (nee Los Angeles) Rams don’t build a stadium in Inglewood, closer to civilization.
Sorry, not true...they are the St. Louis (nee CLEVELAND, then Los Angeles then Anaheim) Rams...
"Journalists" like this - who purport to be neutral writers yet cram nonsense and distortions into their reporting - used to be laughed out of the profession. As it is now, anyone can write pretty much endless opinion pieces under any guise and there are no consequences...

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD
What happens to the riverfront if the stadium proposal fails? 'Plan B'
547927cdc503d.preview-300.jpg

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_0ae783de-71fc-53ee-aca3-d5acc0959c7d.html

37 minutes ago • By David Hunn
ST. LOUIS • Area leaders are working on a plan to redevelop 180 acres of riverfront real estate just north of downtown — with or without a new football stadium.

They call it “Plan B.”

The project has been in the works for months. It envisions residential towers, hotels, shops, a high-tech business incubator, plus wetlands, green space and parks stretching more than a mile, from the Gateway Arch grounds to the new river bridge. The plan even proposes floating-barge beer gardens and playgrounds.

Regional officials have been quietly peddling it to key interest groups. One night last week, some of the project’s planners met with downtown businesses and landowners. Their message was simple: With a stadium, or without, this is a unique opportunity to spur development on the riverfront.

Doug Woodruff, the second-year president of the downtown business association Downtown STL Inc., called it an effort “critical to the region, whether there’s a football team and a stadium or not.”

“It’s our one chance — our one chance as a region — to develop virtually 90 acres, on one of the world’s great rivers, next to one of the world’s great monuments,” he told the 35 or 40 members in attendance.

City and regional leaders, including Woodruff — whose organization has been hired to piece together land for the proposed stadium — insist the region must be prepared to buy the land, and soon.

Officially, however, work on this riverfront proposal started before there was ever a Plan A.

Last summer, Great Rivers Greenway, the regional tax-supported trails organization, put out a call to study business redevelopment and trail building on the riverfront, from Laclede’s Landing past the new Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge.

In November, the Greenway board picked Forum Studio from 11 bidders for the $332,000 contract. It included a blighting study — which could be used to seize land through eminent domain. Forum teamed with several consultants, among them Access Engineering, David Mason & Associates, and local market analyst Bob Lewis.

Then, in January, Gov. Jay Nixon’s two-man task force announced plans for an open-air football stadium, smack in the middle of the 180 acres being studied. The plan, said Edward Jones Dome attorney Bob Blitz and former Anheuser-Busch President Dave Peacock, was to build a $985 million stadium, and keep the Rams from leaving St. Louis. So the riverfront plan adapted.

“If the stadium plan was there before I was there, I did not know it,” said Susan Trautman, executive director of the trails district. “The north riverfront was on my radar from the day I was hired.”

As soon as Trautman knew the stadium effort was real, she said, Great Rivers and Forum began planning on two tracks: one with a stadium and one without.

Otis Williams, executive director of the city’s development corporation, said this will require a public-private partnership. It’s a little like Cortex, the new technology district near the Central West End, he said. It took 20 years to develop.

“If the stadium is there we can build up around it,” said Williams, whose agency has sent Great Rivers $82,000 to help pay for the Forum study. They could turn stadium parking lots, for instance, into garages with first-floor retail.

“Redevelopment in this corridor will happen. It’s not a plan that will sit on the shelf,” he said. “Grade us in two to three years. That will be the real scorecard.”

If successful, it would be the first commercial riverfront redevelopment of this scale in Mayor Francis Slay’s 14-year tenure. “It’s really exciting,” said Mary Ellen Ponder, Slay’s chief of staff.

Landowners are less enthusiastic. Some like Plan B better than a stadium; some don’t. Others just want something — anything — to work out.

John Reinsch, operations manager at his family’s company, Sonn Signs, said the stadium team asked about his century-old brick warehouse on Lewis Street, a block from the floodwall.

He wasn’t thrilled. “Their initial offer was considerably lower than what we expected,” Reinsch said. The representative also wanted Reinsch to sign an “option,” paying him a percentage of the final purchase price as a promise to hold the land for later sale.

Reinsch didn’t understand: If area officials insist the land must be secured for the good of future redevelopment, then why, he asked, wouldn’t they purchase the land outright?

Some have signed. Patrick McKay, a Hilliker real estate vice president, said he represents a family with a building on North First Street. “It’s not like people were flocking down there anyway,” he said.

Seamus McGowan, co-owner of a warehouse there, wouldn’t say. But he’s skeptical of the business park idea. “Until we can bring new businesses to St. Louis, I don’t think that’s a need,” he said.

Reinsch said he declined the deal. His family is considering a counteroffer.

“I understand they’re very early in the planning stage, but I think there are a lot of questions still,” he said.

Woodruff, the Downtown STL exec, wouldn’t reveal any details of the work. Craig Heller, a developer Woodruff has contracted to compile the land, didn’t immediately return a call seeking comment.

This is cool. If the stadium actually doesn't happen, the concerns over that blighted area could still get addressed.
Some of the landowners are apparently griping about the price the authority is offering and questioning the reality of it if no business is coming, but if it happened that are would be nice. A riverfront residence sounds like a nice place to live due to the view and the close proximity to the beer barge. Cheers!

iced

I guess we shouldn't bother building a new stadium since it's an obvious bluff. After all, he SAID he wasn't going to move the Rams.
i must have missed all the pretty drawings with Raider's logos on it
Anything is possible at this point. I don't see how anyone can discount anything as out of the question.

possible? sure. Likely? no, not even close... you got better chance of intercepting a properly inflated brady ball than that happening

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
“There is an effort afoot to undermine our efforts to secure an NFL franchise,” Albert Robles, mayor of Carson told the Los Angeles Times. “If they’re able to create distractions or in any way delay our moving forward, it would undermine our efforts.

“I don’t want to attribute it to the city of Inglewood, per se, or to the Rams per se. But there are other parties that take it upon themselves to say, ‘What could we do to slow down Carson?’ They’ll resort to whatever they have to do.”

The other party, the one who did the same thing to Inglewood. AEG

Hacksaw

ROCK HARD STUD

The other party, the one who did the same thing to Inglewood. AEG

Is this a guess Ripper? What would be the point now?
Or is Robles just a paranoid guy? I haven't seen any derailment going on from my perch.
As far as 'mining' and 'under' goes, perhaps the toxic methane mess is what he really meant to say? lol

The Ripper

Starter
Name
Rip
Is this a guess Ripper? What would be the point now?
Or is Robles just a paranoid guy? I haven't seen any derailment going on from my perch.
As far as 'mining' and 'under' goes, perhaps the toxic methane mess is what he really meant to say? lol

StubHub Center and their proposed development around the stadium. They have already threatened a lawsuit

Same political tactics as was done in Inglewood.

Status
Not open for further replies.