New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I wonder how they're going to come up with the 6 million the country was suposed to pay? Maybe private financing?

Probably. Peacock is quite the fundraiser. Look up his work on the CityArchRiver project.

"Two years after stepping down as president of Anheuser-Busch, the 45-year-old St. Louis native has raised more than $100 million for the city’s Gateway Arch grounds redevelopment project. As chairman of the St. Louis Sports Commission, he convinced lawmakers to pass $3 million in tax credits to improve St. Louis’ chances of hosting amateur sporting events. He’s also working behind the scenes to keep the Rams in St. Louis and he’s on the national advisory board for the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Ohio. Locally, he has a seat on the boards of the United Way, CityArchRiver 2015, Cardinal Glennon Foundation, Boy Scouts, Ministries@Work, Ronnoco Coffee and Schnuck Markets. Oh, and he’s the local franchisee for the smoothie chain Jamba Juice and a part owner at a gym in Kirkwood that caters to pro athletes."

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/...ave-peacock-the-go-to-dealmaker.html?page=all

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
Probably. Peacock is quite the fundraiser. Look up his work on the CityArchRiver project.

"Two years after stepping down as president of Anheuser-Busch, the 45-year-old St. Louis native has raised more than $100 million for the city’s Gateway Arch grounds redevelopment project. As chairman of the St. Louis Sports Commission, he convinced lawmakers to pass $3 million in tax credits to improve St. Louis’ chances of hosting amateur sporting events. He’s also working behind the scenes to keep the Rams in St. Louis and he’s on the national advisory board for the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Ohio. Locally, he has a seat on the boards of the United Way, CityArchRiver 2015, Cardinal Glennon Foundation, Boy Scouts, Ministries@Work, Ronnoco Coffee and Schnuck Markets. Oh, and he’s the local franchisee for the smoothie chain Jamba Juice and a part owner at a gym in Kirkwood that caters to pro athletes."

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/...ave-peacock-the-go-to-dealmaker.html?page=all
SD and OAK should find another Dave Peacock.Maybe this is them waving the white flag?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Maybe this is them waving the white flag?

Most certainly not. They are doing what they can to avoid a local vote. So dropping the county contribution negates any vote. If you read back a couple pages I posted an email from the missouri rep that said (paraphrasing) they are working on different ways to fund the project.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Wait... stronger than Stan's? Let's see... Stan was born in MO, still has his main residence in MO, his company is headquartered in MO, he graduated from Mizzou as did his son, he was integral in bringing the Rams TO St Louis, was part of an ownership group that campaigned to bring an expansion team to St Louis... and Khan's ties to the area are stronger?

Khan spent over $20 million under the cap last year. He put in $20 million toward renovations of what was already considered a top flight stadium. He did so instead of opening his books. He also is known for extremely cut throat business dealings.

Given the Dome situation, I see next to nothing that says he would be handling this any different. He is right behind Stan in richest owners. He has the wherewithal to do whatever he feels will benefit him the most and I don't see anything in his history that would suggest he wouldn't do just that.

I highly doubt Khan would have just waived the top 25% clause. Like it or not - the CVC put that clause in the lease in order to lure a team in. The idea that ANY owner would not hold the CVC to that clause just doesn't fit.

Yes at the time I do believe they were stronger. Khan grew up in Champagne, built his business there, lives there. Everything you can say about Stan and Mizzou you can say about Khan and UI. He's donated millions to them. Seeing as how Champagne IL is about the same distance from St Louis as is Columbia MO, I'd say he passes the local boy sniff test as well as Stan.

Yes I do believe his ties were greater in 2010, and as he deals in auto parts not real estate it's not a hard assumption to make that this thread would not exist had he bought the team. Notice I'm not making any claim that he is a better person, nor am I claiming that we wouldn't be in a dome/stadium dispute right now. But I very highly doubt there would be surprise stadium plans in another city. JMO.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
So what is the prevailing thought in St Louis? Any Ideas? Will the folks in St Louis vote for public funding or not? It sounds as if they are still paying off the Jones dome...

I think our funding gets done. Whether it's in time is another story.

tonyl711

Starter
Okay you got me on the Lions gear...but with the Chiefs all of their gear has KC on it...
I had noticed the Rams gear severely lacking of the city name maybe it's been a trend all around the league and I just haven't noticed but I've also been finding new hats with Los Angeles Rams emblazoned on them. All of these years since they moved and all of a sudden LA Rams gear is everywhere.
if your finding LA Rams gear that is new its not NFL gear, someone is making them and better watch out that the NFL don't get wind of it if it is being advertised as official NFL gear. I can make up shirts that say St Louis Broncos, and what would it mean? unless its official NFL gear then the league had nothing to do with it.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I think our funding gets done. Whether it's in time is another story.

The governor dropped the county funding because he said "it would not be needed." Wouldn't that suggest that they are further along than we think?

bluecoconuts

Legend
I wonder how they're going to come up with the 6 million the country was suposed to pay? Maybe private financing?

They'll have to offer incentive for 6 million per year. Its not a death blow by any means, but it does complicate things, and gives more ammo to Kroenke.

Khan grew up in Champagne

Khan didn't move to the US until he was 16. He has lived here many a moons, but I wouldn't say he grew up here. I moved to the US when I was a teenager, I wouldn't say I grew up here. That doesn't mean I don't love it or anything. I just wouldn't say Khan grew up there though.

if your finding LA Rams gear that is new its not NFL gear, someone is making them and better watch out that the NFL don't get wind of it if it is being advertised as official NFL gear. I can make up shirts that say St Louis Broncos, and what would it mean? unless its official NFL gear then the league had nothing to do with it.

Throwback gear is lisenced, and legit.

bluecoconuts

Legend
The governor dropped the county funding because he said "it would not be needed." Wouldn't that suggest that they are further along than we think?

I think if they had the alternatives already, they'd say so. I think they're working on it though, and feel that avoiding votes that they don't feel comfortable with their chances on winning is better. Uncertainty over 6 million per year is either to pitch to the NFL than their funding being rejected by a vote.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
The governor dropped the country Bc the country said this has to go to a public vote. The governor knows it won't pass so he has to find another way to make up that money. If the Silvey and Obama bill passes then it'll be the like governor dropping the entire bond extension. No one should hit the panic button but this recent news is a big one.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
The governor dropped the country Bc the country said this has to go to a public vote. The governor knows it won't pass so he has to find another way to make up that money. If the Silvey and Obama bill passes then it'll be the like governor dropping the entire bond extension.

To your credit, the county has always said it would require a public vote. But I pulled a quote directly from the article:

"A senior aide to Gov. Jay Nixon called the office of St. Louis County Executive Steve Stenger a little more than a week ago. The aide told a Stenger policy advisor that “St. Louis County’s participation would not be necessary in the stadium deal,” Stenger told the Post-Dispatch on Tuesday."

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_07f5ee4a-6154-5cde-9fb7-a3552672ff4a.html

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
I know Tony I looked at my brand new LA Rams hat and it is a throwback called Mitchell & Ness Nostalgia co.
My mistake...

bluecoconuts

Legend
To your credit, the county has always said it would require a public vote. But I pulled a quote directly from the article:

"A senior aide to Gov. Jay Nixon called the office of St. Louis County Executive Steve Stenger a little more than a week ago. The aide told a Stenger policy advisor that “St. Louis County’s participation would not be necessary in the stadium deal,” Stenger told the Post-Dispatch on Tuesday."

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_07f5ee4a-6154-5cde-9fb7-a3552672ff4a.html

The article also states they would require a vote, and separate ones between the city and county, they are uncertain about the vote, and they think either the city and state will need to increase their portion covered (which the state part might be difficult to pass), or the owner will be asked to increase the amount they pay for.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Translation: Nixon is throwing a temper tantrum and knows he can't get it done without STL County's $6M per year. After screaming the F word at Stenger from Jefferson City, he calmed down and resorted to the international signal known as the middle finger.

I don't think there's any translation needed on the quote.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
The article also states they would require a vote, and separate ones between the city and county, they are uncertain about the vote, and they think either the city and state will need to increase their portion covered (which the state part might be difficult to pass), or the owner will be asked to increase the amount they pay for.

That's correct. But it also seems to be speculation on the part of the author.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Not worried, the financing will get done one way or another, imo. $6 million per year will not be a death blow by any means.

Last edited:

bluecoconuts

Legend
Ah, yea. Went back and re-read it. Only the county and city portions have to have a public vote correct?

It seems that way, not sure about the state. Either way, it gives some ammo to Kroenke in May, but overall I don't think it stops financing from getting done.

Isiah58

UDFA
I agree that $6M on a billion dollar stadium seems pretty trivial. Not going to make or break anything.

The bigger questions is, if they are hesitant about the County's vote, what will happen if they need to put the City's contribution to a vote? The articles suggests that the City must eventually vote on the funds, but that may not be correct.

This news could be an indication that the financing has progressed to the point that other contributions made the $6M superfluous, or on the other hand it could mean that the Governor is concerned that the County would have voted against the funds, and this result would have had far more propaganda impact re "lack of support" than the need for the $6M. In other words, they couldn't afford to have the County vote against the project, so they had to circumvent the County and try to get the money elsewhere. No way to tell from the article itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.