New: Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
@ZigZagRam I tell yuh man - I may have to revise some of my projected costs on SD if it takes $150 million to clear a freaking bus yard. The hell is on this bus yard?

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
Fans pumped for Chargers forum
San Diego — Thousands of devoted Chargers fans plan to swarm a public forum hosted Monday night by Mayor Kevin Faulconer’s stadium task force, with some eager to share their emotions and others prepared to offer constructive advice.

The task force’s recently expedited 90-day schedule has increased skepticism there will be time to consider new ideas offered up by the public during the 6 to 9 p.m. event at Qualcomm Stadium.

And some critics say the forum is just an opportunity for fans to rant about the team’s potential departure to Los Angeles.

But leaders of multiple team fan clubs say many of their members are well informed and prepared to help the nine-member task force with its mission of deciding how to finance a new stadium and whether it should be in downtown or Mission Valley.

They concede, however, that many of the roughly 3,000 fans who’ve committed on social media to showing up Monday night intend only to send a loud message that they love the Chargers and would be extremely angry to lose them.

“Emotions are going to be all over the place,” said Sean Farrell, leader of the 40,000-member “You Know You’re a Chargers Fan When” social media group. “Getting the mob focused on sharing specific ideas will be difficult.”

Jesse Arroyo, a leader of Bolt Pride and president of the Save Our Bolts umbrella group, said he expects those showing up simply to express team loyalty will allow better-informed fans to be among the roughly 100 people allowed to speak during the forum.

“There’s a considerable number of San Diegans who have been following this closely and reading everything they can,” Arroyo said. “So I have no doubt most of the people who choose to speak will have something intelligent to say.”

Raphael Alvarez, another Bolt Pride member, said fan groups have created a sort of dual strategy.

He said some fans plan to be among the 400 people allowed into Club Lounge 5 where the forum will be held, while others plan to attend a 5 p.m. pre-forum rally in Parking Lot A and then watch live video of the event on the stadium's Jumbotron from an overflow area that will be covered in case of rain.

“We’re hoping for just a huge turnout,” he said, adding that many people aren’t in a position to offer worthwhile advice. “Staying informed is everyone’s responsibility, but we can’t all know the complicated finances.”

Those finances include a proposal floated Tuesday by Supervisor Ron Roberts that the county help fund the roughly $1.5 billion stadium with a bridge loan that would potentially be paid back when revenue starts being generated by residential or commercial development surrounding the new stadium.

Roberts also said construction could be financed partly by an infrastructure district, which would require only 55 percent voter approval rather than the more challenging two-thirds vote required for tax increases.

Qualcomm also appeared to move ahead of downtown last week as the likely new stadium site when the Metropolitan Transit System revealed it would need seven years to free up part of the Chargers’ preferred downtown location.

Adam Day, chairman of the task force, will open the forum with an update on the group’s progress and what its next steps will be, task force spokesman Tony Manolatos said. But the task force won't hold a question-and-answer session.

The task force announced it would host a public forum after being criticized for planning to hold its meetings in secret.

Manolatos said panel members are pleased the forum has generated so much excitement. “It’s great to see this level of community pride and enthusiasm,” he said.

Manolatos also said the task force was optimistic it could incorporate constructive public feedback into its final plan even though it recently agreed to complete its work in May instead of this fall.

“A lot can happen in 90 days,” he said.

Each speaker will be limited to 90 seconds to allow as many people as possible to contribute, he said. The forum will be divided into two halves, with the first part focused on stadium location and the second devoted to finances.

Richard Rider, chairman of the group San Diego Tax Fighters, said he doubts the forum will produce anything useful, suggesting virtually all the fans will say only that they want a new stadium so that the team stays in town.

“The task force has been tasked with how to build a stadium, not whether to build one,” he said. “I think this is just a pro forma effort to let everybody blow off steam. It’s just show time.”

Mayor Faulconer isn’t scheduled to attend the forum and Mark Fabiani, Chargers special counsel, said he can’t attend because he’ll be at an NFL owners meeting in Florida.

Faulconer and Chargers President Dean Spanos met one-on-one last weekend and both expressed optimism afterward that a suitable stadium could be built in San Diego.

The threat of the Chargers leaving for Los Angeles has grown larger than ever this winter.

The Chargers and Raiders announced Feb. 19 that they are exploring a joint stadium project with the Oakland Raiders in the Los Angeles suburb of Carson. And in early January, the owner of the St. Louis Rams announced a separate plan to build a stadium in the Los Angeles suburb of Inglewood.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I didn' TELL him to use it, I advised him what row and space the color he wanted was in,I've posted with him for YEARS probably Prime has too. I never gave it a thought back then since I seldom if ever had a problem with his content

\FWIW drac, an apartment is 90% usable or more without hot water, when a landlord fails to provide for the stipulations of a lease is given the opportunity to do so the tenant is no longer bound by the lease except where there is an option they wish to exercise as penalty , the moment the top 25% became in force the Rams didn't have to go year to year they could have claimed constructive eviction AND as things did transpire they went to arbitration and won which is what they would have done in court if the CVC had tried to prevent them from leaving. BUT HEY that's why each party has lawyers bk the law is subject to interpretation,so I stand by my claim,not so much on the position that I am a lawyer ,I am a landlord

You really need to read the lease they had. There was no constructive eviction. They followed a process as outlined in the lease. I really do not know where you get this constructive eviction thing from...but honestly you are wrong. There was no constructive eviction the moment the stadium was under the top 25% (heck it hasn't been for more than 10+ years). There was a clause that every ten years if the rams felt it wasn't there they could require it to be brought up to that level...which they did (using the arbitration process). The CVC decided not to bring it up to that level allowing them to go year to year on the lease. Based on your belief the rams could have claimed that since it was under the top 25% they could have claimed constructive eviction long ago. That is not the case. The top 25% thing was set at specific times with specific possibilities for both sides which they used. You can claim constructive eviction any time reasonable use is not possible it would have nothing to do with being in the top 25%.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Sunday, March 1, 2015... today is the Measuring Date as set forth in the Amended and Restated St. Louis NFL Lease and the Edward Jones Dome officially, as of today, does not rank in the "First Tier" of NFL stadiums. The importance of this fact seems lost on some and dismissed by others, but it is at the center of the Rams position on their status with regard to staying in St. Louis or moving back to Los Angeles.

Whatever "good faith" arguments are thrown around, the fact of the matter is that providing a "First Tier" stadium was at the heart of St. Louis' proposal to lure the Rams to the Gateway City. Had such a "good faith" commitment by St. Louis interests not been made, it is unlikely that the Rams would have moved to St. Louis at all.

This comes down to a simple unarguable fact: the St. Louis Regional Convention and Sports Complex Authority failed to provide a "First Tier" stadium for the Rams as they were contractually obligated to. This has now become a simple case of "Breach of Contract" and there is not a court in the country that would not side with the Rams, should this matter be litigated.

What the heck are you even talking about. The rams took the lease year to year. They re-upped for this year. They can choose not to re-up for next year. They can not walk away from the stadium this year... there has been no "breach of contract" or "constructive eviction" by either party. Why people want to act like there has been some failure to act by STL is beyond me, but really throwing around terms like "breach of contract" or "constructive eviction" really is irresponsible and dishonest.

Please don't act like you know the law when you don't....

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Chargers stadium task force public forum meeting Monday
qualcomm-stadium.jpg

Qualcomm Stadium

Stadium Task Force public forum: Monday March 2nd from 6-9 PM at Qualcomm Stadium in the Club Lounge Area. Gates open at 5 PM and parking will be free.

SAN DIEGO — The advisory group formed to find a site and develop a financing plan for a new football stadium in San Diego announced Wednesday it will hold a meeting March 2 to take input from the public.

The forum will take place at 6 p.m. at Qualcomm Stadium, the aging facility the Chargers are hoping to vacate.

“We want to hear about (the public’s) good ideas and we want to know what their concerns are as we work toward selecting a site for a new stadium and developing a financing plan for public consideration,” said Adam Day, who chairs the task force.

“The advisory group is in the information-gathering phase, so we appreciate the information the Chargers shared with us this week,” Day said. “We had a good first meeting with the team, and we expect to meet with representatives from San Diego County and San Diego State University next.”

Meanwhile, the Chargers’ point-man in their long-running stadium search told City News Service that team president and CEO Dean Spanos would be willing to meet with San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer.

“Dean has met with the mayor before, and of course I have met with the mayor and his staff on many occasions,” said Mark Fabiani, who has led the team’s quest since the early 2000s. “Dean would be happy to meet with the mayor again.”

Faulconer wrote Spanos Tuesday and suggested a one-on-one get-together in an effort to defuse rising tensions involving the task force and mayor’s office.

Fabiani wrote Faulconer Tuesday to ask — among other things — why members of his staff attended the task force meeting referred to by Day, and if the group was really independent. The letter went on to suggest that political and media consultants who attended have conflicts of interest.

Faulconer subsequently wrote Spanos to complain about Fabiani’s ongoing criticism of the task force since it was announced last month.

Matt Awbrey, a spokesman for Faulconer, said mayoral staff is aware of Fabiani’s comment that Spanos is willing to meet, and has called the team to confirm.

“Mayor Faulconer looks forward to meeting with Mr. Spanos in the next few days to discuss how to chart a positive course moving forward,” Awbrey said.

Are you shitting me??? A public forum with the city??? Who gives a fuck about what the city/fans think, or have to say? IT'S JUST BUSINESS WHY CAN'T THE FO OF THE CHARGERS UNDERSTAND THAT? THE NFL IS ABOVE THE FANS GOD DAMMIT.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Are you crapping me??? A public forum with the city??? Who gives a freak about what the city/fans think, or have to say? IT'S JUST BUSINESS WHY CAN'T THE FO OF THE CHARGERS UNDERSTAND THAT? THE NFL IS ABOVE THE FANS GOD DAMMIT.

I not sure where your coming from here my friend? I may be missing something and sorry if I am. :cool:

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
What the heck are you even talking about. The rams took the lease year to year. They re-upped for this year. They can choose not to re-up for next year. They can not walk away from the stadium this year... there has been no "breach of contract" or "constructive eviction" by either party. Why people want to act like there has been some failure to act by STL is beyond me, but really throwing around terms like "breach of contract" or "constructive eviction" really is irresponsible and dishonest.

Please don't act like you know the law when you don't....
I am the law......................................is the song I'm listening to by Anthrax :O

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I not sure where your coming from here my friend? I may be missing something and sorry if I am. :cool:

The NFL was formed originally to take money away from people and give it into the hands of the owners. There was an artificial "game" with "teams" formed to help make the owners money. These "teams" play in cities around America, and have people who loyally follow them who we in the biz call "fanatics." They're really our main source of revenue, but they don't matter, because our "game" has become so popular that whatever we do people or "fans" will always watch and buy our "teams" shit.

It really angers me when teams owners cheat and don't acknowledge this. They act like they already have a fuck load of money, and as if they actually respect the city and fans that they purchased the team in. It makes other owners look bad.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I mean where has the integrity of the league gone? It was FORMED TO MAKE PEOPLE MONEY right? It's bad enough that we have to act like we give a shit about our "players" now.

I mean, we the owners, or the NFL (we're the same thing) created the "game" didn't we? It's ours. Players? Fans? Hahaha please. Give me a break. We're all in this to make money. Could give a fuck about anything else. Why would we? Why would anyone else buy a team in the first place?

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
The NFL was formed originally to take money away from people and give it into the hands of the owners. There was an artificial "game" with "teams" formed to help make the owners money. These "teams" play in cities around America, and have people who loyally follow them who we in the biz call "fanatics." They're really our main source of revenue, but they don't matter, because our "game" has become so popular that whatever we do people or "fans" will always watch and buy our "teams" crap.

It really angers me when teams owners cheat and don't acknowledge this. They act like they already have a freak load of money, and as if they actually respect the city and fans that they purchased the team in. It makes other owners look bad.

I get ya now man.. I agree. Seems like they are disrespecting loyal customers who've bought into their product, especially the local product of said city.. I'm beginning to believe in what Mark Cuban said about the NFL.. But yet at the same time.. It's the Golden rule man.. He who owns the gold makes the rules unfortunately.

MrMotes

Starter
The Packers are a non-profit organization owned by the people of Green Bay. Maybe more cities will try to follow that model?

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
The Packers are a non-profit organization owned by the people of Green Bay. Maybe more cities will try to follow that model?

I think that business model has been abolished by the League? I could be wrong..

Big Unit

UDFA
The NFL was formed originally to take money away from people and give it into the hands of the owners. There was an artificial "game" with "teams" formed to help make the owners money. These "teams" play in cities around America, and have people who loyally follow them who we in the biz call "fanatics." They're really our main source of revenue, but they don't matter, because our "game" has become so popular that whatever we do people or "fans" will always watch and buy our "teams" crap.

It really angers me when teams owners cheat and don't acknowledge this. They act like they already have a freak load of money, and as if they actually respect the city and fans that they purchased the team in. It makes other owners look bad.
I agree, Username. I'm older; was once a Lions fan, though I never saw a game; then a Bears fan - saw one in person; then saw 2 or 3 Cardinal games (one in bitter cold in December) before the Cardinals left for Arizona. But I was INVESTED in the Rams; as a lawyer represented the contractor that built the dome; got shut out in the first PSL lottery; then purchased 8 PSLs at $1,000 each, deep in the North end zone, to help finance the Rams' move. I've had at least 4 season tickets - usually 8 - ever since.

It hasn't been difficult, other than the past three years or so. But a dozen or so years of horrible football and being treated like an extra in a television production wore me down. Once they struggled in 2014, the guy I partnered with decided to give up his Rams tickets, buy Mizzou tickets instead (he's an alum). I haven't renewed yet; not sure I will. It's the old "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me" theory. I'll instantly renew if the new stadium proposal seems likely, and if current season-ticket holders have some sort of priority in a new stadium. Otherwise? I'll be a Rams fan, but on TV - like most people I know. I can always buy select game tickets if I choose; but the old days of tailgating, seeing John Madden's trailer next to the Dome because he and Summerall were covering the top game of the week and all - are over; probably for good.

It's started to hurt too much to care so much; you know? Nothing winning won't cure; but I've said that for a dozen seasons now. And now we're not even sure we'll have a team. It's not the Rams' leaders' fault; I can't criticize Fisher or Snead or Demoff for anything; and no franchise in St. Louis is more active in the community. But fans who go to the game are second class citizens; St. Louis fans even less than that.

Having said that, it's the Chinese year of the Ram. If they go 3-1 or something to start 2015, and if Sam Bradford stays healthy, I'll probably be there again with bells on. Sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.