New Feature Added: Please Read

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhxRam

I would like to introduce a completely new and 100% unique feature just added to ROD.

But first a few words.

Many of you may have noticed a little more latitude being given lately with posts. I have always been a firm believer that in order to allow a community to grow there has to be freedom of free flowing ideas. With additional freedoms comes personal responsibility to moderate themselves.

The foundation of this board was built on a few simple principles. A forum to give people the opportunity to discuss the Rams in an environment free of aggression, condescension, and trolling.

As the forum has grown, I am starting to notice the vision of our founder , @-X- , is becoming a bit blurred.

With the help of YOU, now is the time we set the course right.

Without further adieu, I present to you Community Moderation.

Community Moderation is a system of checks and balances that allows for free expression but also allows the community to moderate each other.

Here is how it works.

Any registered poster with OVER 50 posts will now have the ability to anonymously dislike a post. A threshold of dislikes has been set (currently set at 6) so that once that threshold of dislikes has been reached, the post will be removed from public view for moderation review.

Again, another set of checks and balances is in place that offsets every "dislike" with a "like"

Example: (the threshold for deletion is 6) Post A has 6 "dislikes" but also has 6 "likes". This cancels each other out and the post would still need 6 more "dislikes" to be removed. It is not until (using this example) a ratio of 6:1 has been reached will a post be removed.

In order to prevent abuse, each poster is only given the ability to dislike 5 posts a day. I have added the ability to "undislike" a post so if you use up your dislikes for the day, you can "undislike" and get your vote back.

Moderating an active board can be quite the task. Many times I have had to resist the urge to delete a post simply because I didn't agree with the opinion. I designed this system to help remove some of the emotional accept of moderating. To be clear though, moderators are still active and will still delete a post/poster of anyone that blatantly crosses the line.

The system is not perfect, nor are any of us. The tools are there for you guys. Between the community moderation and the ignore system, there is no reason why we cant continue to grow and maintain our status as the best Rams board on the web.

Make it happen people.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can I have mine set so I puts my name down? I want people to know that I dislike their post. :wink:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm on the fence on Jrry's post so I liked and disliked it. Now... is this day based on 24 hours, the clock, Eastern time, AZ time, St Louis time, Pacific time? I'm so confused. Just wanna make sure I can get as many dislikes in per day as possible.:cheese:

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm with them. Own up to it. No need to hide.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Lol, what if people are just disliking a certain poster non stop. Like, I'm prolly gonna dislike everything Jerry has to say. :sly: Lol I kid of course, I think it's a cool feature, but not about Jerry I'm gonna slam the servers with dislikes! Lmao:stirthepot:

PhxRam

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lol, what if people are just disliking a certain poster non stop. Like, I'm prolly gonna dislike everything Jerry has to say. :sly: Lol I kid of course, I think it's a cool feature, but not about Jerry I'm gonna slam the servers with dislikes! Lmao:stirthepot:

Nobody has the ability to continually dislike anyone. You get 5 a day and thats it.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I know...just sayin...I know where all 5 are goin! Mwuhahahaha

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Let me try to break it down real quick for everyone.

You can only dislike a particular post ... once. And you get 5 a day. Putting your name to it is counter-productive, and he's not going to do it that way. I agree with that approach, because there's no sense in starting grudges. Those boards suck, and you all know it. And the posts that reach the threshold go into the moderation queue, so it's not even a guarantee that the posts will be deleted. They still have to be reviewed, and then mods can take a personal approach by contacting the "offender" via their inbox to discuss it.

See, all he's doing is gauging the tone and tenor of the board via this kind of feedback; and whether anyone thinks it's a good idea or not is irrelevant. We're members of a forum owned by an individual who has complete autonomy, and he's very dedicated to providing you with the type of place you've come to enjoy. Seriously ... hundreds of hours go into this thing. You all should take this seriously and use it properly, because you're helping to shape the board's landscape. If you want this place to thrive and grow, do your parts and be a part of the process. Take a personal interest in your home and work together to keep it clean.

K?

K.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of people disliking posts just because they don't see eye to eye on a certain subject, Rather then disliking a post because it was over the line offensive or something.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of people disliking posts just because they don't see eye to eye on a certain subject, Rather then disliking a post because it was over the line offensive or something.
Could be. But that's why the mods will decide if it poses any violation to the rules. If it doesn't, it stays - no matter how many dislikes it has.
The *intent* is to be able to see how the board feels about certain topics and/or discussion tactics.
Which, subsequently, will give them a better understanding of the membership and make their jobs easier.

PhxRam

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

You say this but I have yet to see a single dislike other than this thread.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Could be. But that's why the mods will decide if it poses any violation to the rules. If it doesn't, it stays - no matter how many dislikes it has.
The *intent* is to be able to see how the board feels about certain topics and/or discussion tactics.
Which, subsequently, will give them a better understanding of the membership and make their jobs easier.

Yea I totally understand why you guys are doing it :bigup:, hopefully it doesn't get abused and defeat the purpose.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yea I totally understand why you guys are doing it :bigup:, hopefully it doesn't get abused and defeat the purpose.
Thanks for seeing the big picture.

And obviously, anyone who does abuse it (i.e., disliking one guy 5 times during the course of the day) will get a stern talking to.

pai_filho_conversando.jpg

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
And obviously, anyone who does abuse it (i.e., disliking one guy 5 times during the course of the day) will get a stern talking to.

Is that like a "timeout"?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

So if I use all 5 of my dislikes in a day, someone will talk to me? :number1: So lonely.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Seriously. I agree with keeping it anonymous. We want to moderate the mood and give the moderators a cue when someone slips through the cracks - not make a bunch of posters dislike each other.