New coordinator figures to be in-house hire/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
New coordinator figures to be in-house hire
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_db2bcb31-9d15-5e90-97de-1563cd8717c4.html

PHOENIX • As Rams coach Jeff Fisher winds down his deliberate search for a new offensive coordinator, it’s all but a certainty that the replacement for Brian Schottenheimer will be an in-house hire.

That means either tight ends coach Rob Boras or quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti. Fisher has high regard for both, but at this point Boras probably is the frontrunner.

There is precedence for an in-house hire from Fisher’s long tenure as head coach of the Tennessee Titans. After defensive coordinator Steve Sidwell left for New England following the 1996 season, Fisher promoted his linebackers coach, Gregg Williams, to defensive coordinator.

When Williams left to become head coach of the Buffalo Bills following the 2000 season, Fisher promoted linebackers coach Jim Schwartz to the defensive coordinator post.

Boras, 44, is a native of Glen Ellyn, Ill., who has spent 11 seasons in the NFL coaching tight ends with the Rams, Jacksonville, and Chicago. Among his college-coaching stops was a five-year stint at Nevada-Las Vegas from 1999-2003. He was the offensive line coach there for all five seasons, but doubled up as offensive coordinator his last three seasons there.

Cignetti, 49, a Pittsburgh native, has been an NFL quarterbacks coach with San Francisco (2007) and New Orleans (2000-01) prior to his stint with the Rams. He has been an offensive coordinator at several stops on the college level: Fresno State (2002-05), North Carolina (2006), California (2008), Pittsburgh (2009-10), and Rutgers (2011).

Both Boras and Cignetti were part of Fisher’s original Rams staff in 2012.

Former Buffalo Bills offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett interviewed with the Rams last week for Schottenheimer’s old job, and a second interview with the Rams was planned. But Hackett dropped out of the Rams’ OC search on Wednesday and is headed to Jacksonville as quarterbacks coach.

The Rams were impressed with Hackett’s interview. But in Jacksonville Hackett will be reunited with Doug Marrone. Hackett, 35, was Marrone’s offensive coordinator at Syracuse and with the Bills. Marrone is assistant head coach and offensive line coach for the Jaguars.

Hackett is the only outside candidate for the coordinator’s job in St. Louis known to have interviewed with the Rams, although Fisher did have phone conversations with Kyle Shanahan and Adam Gase.

Shanahan ended up with Atlanta, where Seattle defensive coordinator Dan Quinn is expected to be named head coach after the Super Bowl. Gase reunited in Chicago with John Fox, after working with him in Denver.

SHERMAN PRACTICES

With both Super Bowl participants returning to the practice field Wednesday, cornerback Richard Sherman (elbow) worked regularly with the Seattle defense.

According to pool reporter Peter King of Sports Illustrated and the Monday Morning Quarterback, Sherman didn’t look affected by the hyperextended elbow he suffered in the NFC title game against Green Bay.

At one point in practice, Sherman made a leaping interception, extending both arms in the air to make the catch.

Free safety Earl Thomas (dislocated shoulder), also hurt in the title game against Green Bay, also showed no ill effects, playing full time Wednesday.

Offensive guard J.R. Sweezy (ankle) took his turns with the first-unit offensive line and worked without any sort of limp.

The Seahawks worked for 1 ½ hours on grass fields at Arizona State University.

PATRIOTS AT FULL STRENGTH

New England also was healthy, practicing for two hours at the Arizona Cardinals team facility. According to pool reporter Jarrett Bell of USA Today, quarterback Tom Brady looked sharp even though he is fighting a cold.

“He took all the snaps,” coach Bill Belichick said.

The NBC broadcast crew attended the practice.

LA RAMS?

Former Rams wide receiver Danny Amendola, now with New England, said it would be a shame to see the Rams move from St. Louis back to Los Angeles.

“I have a love for St. Louis for sure,” Amendola said. “It was my home. Ironically, LA is a home of mine, too. Are they moving out there for sure? LA needs a team, too, but to take ’em away from St. Louis it would be sad to see ’em go.”

FRO

Legend
The only thing there was speculation. Hackett was the only known outside interview, but the "reporter" didn't dig deep and confirm anything.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
The only thing there was speculation. Hackett was the only known outside interview, but the "reporter" didn't dig deep and confirm anything.
Yup -- any one of us could've put that same story together after a quick visit to Rotoworld.com

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
So true. No reporter working at the PD has any real inside info regarding the Rams.

COMPLETELY OUT OF THE LOOP

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I was fine with Rob Boras all along, he did quite a job as an OC in college at UNLV taking a team under former Ram Head Coach John Robinson and making them a top 15 rushing team in the country and IMO a job well done for an unheralded football college.

Once they promote Boras they will have to fill his position as well and I am interested to see who will fill that opening. I have high expectations for Coach Boras, if he's the choice, so let's go out there and blow them off the line scrimmage!
RobBoras1.jpg

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
One interesting thing I heard, late last night, was that Hackett, turned us down, and has signed as QB coach with the Jag's. I'm not sure of the accuracy of this. But I would think he'd rather be an OC here, than a QB coach their! Go figure! ( Heard this on NFLN)

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
One interesting thing I heard, late last night, was that Hackett, turned us down, and has signed as QB coach with the Jag's. I'm not sure of the accuracy of this. But I would think he'd rather be an OC here, than a QB coach their! Go figure! ( Heard this on NFLN)

He turned us down for a 2nd interview, IMO, he didn't give up a sure thing for a possibility. Also for everyone that had posted that Marrone held Hackett back, well, that report seems to have no legs because he obviously jumped at the chance to be reunited with Dougie "Spoon" Marrone.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was fine with Rob Boras all along, he did quite a job as an OC in college at UNLV taking a team under former Ram Head Coach John Robinson and making them a top 15 rushing team in the country and IMO a job well done for an unheralded football college.

Once they promote Boras they will have to fill his position as well and I am interested to see who will fill that opening. I have high expectations for Coach Boras, if he's the choice, so let's go out there and blow them off the line scrimmage!
RobBoras1.jpg
I'm seeing the opposite picture of his stint at UNLV.
No developed passing game and while he was OC the team the team went backwords in scoring. From 28 ppg the year before, they dropped of to 25, 24 then 21 ppg under his watch.
I am no fan of Cignetti, and been pretty vocal about it. But if we have to choose between the two, I think we've got more of a chance that Cignetti will bring some creativity than Boras

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No developed passing game and while he was OC the team the team went backwords in scoring. From 28 ppg the year before, they dropped of to 25, 24 then 21 ppg under his watch.
I am no fan of Cignetti, and been pretty vocal about it. But if we have to choose between the two, I think we've got more of a chance that Cignetti will bring some creativity than Boras
This doesn't sound good at all. I'm also shocked that fisher would gamble is 4th season on an unknown. He doesn't have much more time to rebuild. One more bad season might end him. Really hoping boras can surprise

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Great, we get more of the same boring unimaginative offense, maybe even worse! This is truely pathetic, yoy are telling me tge rams couldn't get any one else in the nfl to take rjus job?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

I've always liked Cignetti, however, Boras is well respected and has had more experience at the professional level albeit Cignetti has had more experience as a coordinator.

iced

everything i heard about hackett is that he got tired of waiting and was gonna take a sure job offer now instead of playing the waiting game with the rams

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
ROB BORAS
Boras03.jpg

Hometown:
Glen Ellyn, Ill.
Last College:
DePauw
Position:
Offensive Coordinator
Birthdate:
09/30/1970
Experience:
5th year

Fifth-year UNLV offensive line coach Rob Boras heads into his third season as the Rebels? offensive coordinator.

Head coach John Robinson promoted Boras to his current position in spring 2001, saying ?It is time to talk about Rob Boras as an up-and-coming star in the coaching business.?

Although he is now more involved with overall scheme of the high-powered Rebel offense, Boras continues to oversee a line that allowed only 12 quarterback sacks in 2001 and opened holes for a 1,000-yard rusher in consecutive seasons in 2000-01 for the first time since 1973-74. In fact, tailback Joe Haro?s 1,948 yards in 2001-02 was the second best two-year total in school history.

Nationally, UNLV has turned into a force on the ground behind Boras? lines, finishing 15th (2002), 16th (2001) and 13th (2000) in rushing the last three seasons while posting a stunning 28 100-yard rushing games in the last 34 regular-season dates by seven different players.

A former assistant coach at Texas under John Mackovic, Boras served on the same staff there as 1999 Rebel passing game coordinator Gene Dahlquist, now a head coach in NFL Europe.

Before heading west, Boras spent 1998 as the head coach of Benedictine University located in Lisle, Ill. The Illinois native moved to the Div.-III school after four notable years at Texas.

In Austin, Boras coached the tight ends and was assistant special teams coordinator in 1997. He was a special assistant to the team in 1996 when the Longhorns were Big 12 champions and played in the Fiesta Bowl. He also coached the Texas tight ends in 1995 when the school won the Southwest Conference and earned a trip to the Sugar Bowl. He also served as an assistant offensive line coach for the Sun Bowl champs in 1994.

Previously, Boras spent two seasons as offensive line coach for his alma mater, DePauw University in Greencastle, Ind.

http://www.unlvrebels.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/boras_rob00.html

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I tell you what this team sure does try to make me hate them...

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
This doesn't sound good at all. I'm also shocked that fisher would gamble is 4th season on an unknown. He doesn't have much more time to rebuild. One more bad season might end him. Really hoping boras can surprise

How is he an unknown? He's been with Fisher for 3 years and has the history with JR etc
Only unknown to all of us the same way chud was 8 years ago

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
One thing with Fish is he does a lot of ground work with his hires on the phone it seems to me. Very sneaky in that way, so that plus the fact that none of the Rams beat writers have any connection with the team at all means there is indeed room for a surprise candidate.

Shanahan, for example, we would know nothing of. Since Fish knows him so well they'd probably get the agreement done over the phone if it were trending that way.

I'm not even sure we would catch wind of Martz for that matter. Even if by some longshot Fish were considering him, there's a good chance nobody would know about it with Fish chatting him up on the phone and discussing whatever concerns he would have which inevitably would be protections and running game.

All I have right now is crossing my fingers. Just gonna hope that Fish gets this hire right like he did with DC. Even if it is an unproven guy, he can still nail it and I pray he does for all of our sakes.