New Coaching Staff's Mistakes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I can't thin of one. Can you?

Really like they way the new coaching staff has gone about the business of making improvements. Very methodical. Reeks of being well thought out and thouroghly discussed by everyone involved.

I'm curious if any of you ROD folks have another opinion and might have seen a mistake or two.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
No man. Coming into FA i thought Andrew Whitmore was a pipe dream for us but McVay made it happen just as the hiring Coach Kromer and Coach Phillips. He has made it happen. With the exception of low balling Groy i cant think of anything that we could have done better so far.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We shall find out in about 5 months. Right now, I'm okay with how things are going. We'll see what happens in the draft.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Yep, it's too soon to judge. The big difference is that the moves have been largely supported by the fans (or at least the ones on here... I know we are all mad homers tho so it may not be representative). If it all goes tits up we won't be able to say 'they shoulda cut this guy or signed that guy' because we would have made similar moves ourselves!

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Probably at least one FA will not work out.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Keeping Les?

Maybe, maybe not, Les has one year to showcase if it was more Fisher and less Les if you will...McVay and Snead seemed to have a good rapport and comradery, however, if things go awry, Snead will be the scapegoat and they will most likely bring in someone else and spin it as a "McVay" choice.

However, so far in free agency I feel the Rams have done better than in many years, but we won't know how truly everything is going until September Morn.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm curious if any of you ROD folks have another opinion and might have seen a mistake or two.

The original post was for the Coaching staff I presume and with the staff comparing it to last year the only area that IMO is a downgrade is Defensive Line Coach. IMHO, MIke Waufle trumped Bill Johnson, now, Johnson was in New Orleans where defense was always a challenge and Johnson worked with Phillips in Denver so Wade is very comfortable with him so that should make all of us feel somewhat warm and fuzzy, but unlike some of the Millennials, Waufle's "tough love." did not bother me and seemed to be well received by the unit.

Johnson is more of the pat you on the back type and fits into more of the scheme of a teacher not a driller if you will and many of us in business who came from that background have evolved into more of a "Self Discovery" approach that is better received by the younger generation. So I will be focused on this unit as well as the secondary too because CB Coach Aubrey Pleasant & Safety Coach Ejiro Evero do not have a plethora of experience, however, neither did Dennard Wilson or Brandon Fisher of the last regime, but they had Chuck Cecil overseeing them.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Yes seems like a lot more "common sense" being exercised, I hope it carries forward to the draft. Only thing off the top of my head that is questionable so far is the Havenstein at guard talk.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Excellent thread topic, bubba!

Overall, I'm very impressed. From HC choice through the asst coaching choices and including what I consider shrewd FA decisions both outgoing and incoming (with the sole exception of the TruJo tagging). And that TruJo thing might still work out just fine, anyway.

On paper, these moves make a ton of sense on several levels. Like chess moves, not just checker moves, you know?

I must confess that I am predisposed to give the benefit of the doubt to both Wade and McVay on personnel matters on their respective sides of the bill. I think they've both earned it.

BTW, I ascribe the proposed moves of GRob and Hav on the right side to coachspeak. Just a facesaving thing for GRob, I think.

Based on all the positive impressions from this staff so far, I think that it's reasonable to expect a very solid draft. I anticipate a lot of smiling and nodding of heads by Ram fans. Nothing spectacular, just really solid.

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
It's just amazing to have a sensible staff who seems to be on the same page as the fans when it comes to needs and value... it seemed as anything we called for with past staffs was almost never done, not saying they should listen to us but we're on the same page it seems

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
I thought Miami got the best of us in the Hayes trade.

He would be quality depth, if somewhat expensive.

Need folks who can get after the qb and a rested and fresh Hayes could do that.

Other than that one move I have been quite pleased with the new staff's decisions.

Other than that one move I have been quite pleased with the new staff's decisions.
I'm still annoyed at the Hayes trade, just doesn't make sense to me which ever way I look at it.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The Rams Biggest mistake this off season was not hiring ME as their Cheerleader Fitness Trainer!!(y)(y):lifting::heh::shades:

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I think if we're honest here and remember back to early 2012, we were pretty happy with the way the new regime did things. Jo-Lonn Dunbar, Cortland Finnegan, William Hayes, Kendall Langford, Robert Turner and Scott Wells in free agency (as well as a few who didn't make the final cut). In the draft it was Brockers, Quick, JJ, Pead, TruJo, Givens, Watkins, Zuerlein, Aaron Brown and Daryl Richardson. UDFA's included Rodney McLeod, Corey Harkey and Austin Davis. Plus we grabbed Joe Barksdale off of waivers in early September. Of all their moves the one questioned the most at the time was Brian Quick. Pead turned out worse. And then we went from 2-14 to 7-8-1, so we were pretty confident the arrow was pointing up.

I'm happy with what the current regime has done. I'll be really happy if it translates to the same improvement Fisher brought us. +5 wins would put us at 9-7. With Fisher I thought we'd have a better defense and we did despite Greg Williams getting suspended. Obviously Fisher played more of a role with GW gone. But Wade Phillips is every bit as good, if not better than both of them. And he won't have the distraction of having to be a head coach also. And there's all hope we will have a modernized offense under McVay but he will be in the position of head coach AND running the offense. Having said that, we probably could improve on offense if McVay hired the deceased Sid Gillman as OC.

But let's remain grounded. We were happy in 2012 too. Maybe what works better now is what McVay took over isn't half as bad as what Fisher took over.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
I agree with @PARAM let's a wait and see.

From the outside it seems to be extremely methodical and we are adding some good quality.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler

I disagree. I think it was a win-win deal. Was Hayes worth more than what the Rams got? Absolutely, but he didnt seem to fit the new D scheme so it was trade or cut and I'd imagine that was the best deal they were able to get so they took it. When you are shopping a guy like that in the situation the Rams were in its hard to get a team to offer much knowing he will be released anyway. Got a little bit of draft capital to free up quite a chunk of cap space, not really all that bad of a deal. plus he went to a decent to good team, so the Rams kinda helped him out a bit there, whether they chose to or not