New Coach search..........??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
I keep reading articles from entertainment reporters, (journalism and true reporters died out long ago) and fans about the search for a new coach.

What is extremely confusing to me is why so many keep making statements about how good it would be to get a young offensive coach to be the Head Coach...........why exactly would you want a coach with no Head coach experience concentrating on offensive play calling when he has a team to run? Isn't that why teams have an offensive and defensive coordinator?

If we get a coach, I would suspect that we really need them to control the team....to influence and "Coach em up!". Have them hire good personnel to guide the team in the right direction.

As an example, look at Vermiel and Martz. What was Vermiel's main weakness? Hiring good coordinators that understood offense, (Fisher issue too). What was Martz's main issue? Running the day to day team things, controlling the players and the team. Martz crashed and burned while Vermiel just did what he was supposed to and we won.

Kyle, Cooter and others should be the last thing we look for in a Head coach. Offensive coordinators......hell yeah! It's like selecting an offensive linemen for potential instead of one who CAN and WILL do the job.......we Ram fans know that one.

I also firmly believe that a coach who failed as a Head coach has the best perspective on what needs to be corrected the second time around.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I agree with a lot of what you've said here.

It's too simple to say that Shanahan, for example, definitely wouldn't be a good HC because he's a good OC but my preference would be a HC that isn't focussing on only one phase of the game for 60 mins.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I keep reading articles from entertainment reporters, (journalism and true reporters died out long ago) and fans about the search for a new coach.

What is extremely confusing to me is why so many keep making statements about how good it would be to get a young offensive coach to be the Head Coach...........why exactly would you want a coach with no Head coach experience concentrating on offensive play calling when he has a team to run? Isn't that why teams have an offensive and defensive coordinator?

If we get a coach, I would suspect that we really need them to control the team....to influence and "Coach em up!". Have them hire good personnel to guide the team in the right direction.

As an example, look at Vermiel and Martz. What was Vermiel's main weakness? Hiring good coordinators that understood offense, (Fisher issue too). What was Martz's main issue? Running the day to day team things, controlling the players and the team. Martz crashed and burned while Vermiel just did what he was supposed to and we won.

Kyle, Cooter and others should be the last thing we look for in a Head coach. Offensive coordinators......hell yeah! It's like selecting an offensive linemen for potential instead of one who CAN and WILL do the job.......we Ram fans know that one.

I also firmly believe that a coach who failed as a Head coach has the best perspective on what needs to be corrected the second time around.
I read thru this expecting to see who you are suggesting
What re-tread coach (that is actually available) tops your list?

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I read thru this expecting to see who you are suggesting
What re-tread coach (that is actually available) tops your list?
That's pretty self evident and depressing, McHoodie. I picked a bad day to quit drinking.

Let's give Bones a chance to see what he can do. I'd prefer to have a leader vs a coordinator like Fisher. Let your coordinators do the work and review their game plan with them and instill discipline.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Some Offensive Coordinators that are first time Head Coaches doing a good job this year.

1. Ben McAdoo...Giants...Has been a calming influence in his first year as Head Coach and has the New York Football Giants who were 6-10 last season at 9-4 and are responsible for the two blemishes on the record of the Dallas Cowboys.
  2. Dirk Koetter...Buccaneers...Eyebrows were raised with this surprise hiring, however, Koetter has led the upstart Buccaneers to an 8-5 record and could be headed to post season as well.
  3. Adam Gase...Dolphins...Excellent job and players have bought in and the Dolphins are close to post season too.
So IMO plenty of success stories and I would fine with Kyle Shanahan as the hire with the pedigree and experience he has gained at a very young age.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I'd like a coach who has a vision and a working viable scheme to put in place to help fix this offense. Whether that's an OC or HC, I don't care. If that culture starts from the HC though, you can bring in an additional offensive mind at OC and it can be a focus for the team.

As for your concerns on playcalling as a young HC, Adam Gase is doing just fine right now in a similar situation and I don't think it'd be a problem.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some Offensive Coordinators that are first time Head Coaches doing a good job this year.

1. Ben McAdoo...Giants...Has been a calming influence in his first year as Head Coach and has the New York Football Giants who were 6-10 last season at 9-4 and are responsible for the two blemishes on the record of the Dallas Cowboys.
  2. Dirk Koetter...Buccaneers...Eyebrows were raised with this surprise hiring, however, Koetter has led the upstart Buccaneers to an 8-5 record and could be headed to post season as well.
  3. Adam Gase...Dolphins...Excellent job and players have bought in and the Dolphins are close to post season too.
So IMO plenty of success stories and I would fine with Kyle Shanahan as the hire with the pedigree and experience he has gained at a very young age.
McAdoo and Koetter had the advantage of being the OC on the team before being elevated to HC though. You're not suggesting Boras to be HC are you??? Haha, kidding I know you arent
Yeah, Gase is doing fine
McCarthy did great for Green Bay
Arians done well in Arizona
Gruden doing great in Washington

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was speaking to the point that they think the OC should be selected because he will fix the offense, but the new HC should be the head coach, not the OC.

Why hire an OC as the Headcoach in order to fix the offense? You hire an OC as an OC to fix the offense........right?

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I agree, hire the head coach that has the ability to pull in the best staff. Who fits that bill?

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...

I have been preaching this all week. A good HC is a manager, a rudder (if you will). He hires the correct coordinators to run each prospective unit and merely steers them in the right direction. If the HC is calling plays and/or running the units, there is a breakdown somewhere. Hiring guys with no experience managing isn't wrong and has worked in the past but I would interview carefully and ask questions related to these essential needs. Fisher was a control freak. How did they miss this??

After WW2, Patton was asked how he was able to lead all those thousands of men and he replied that he was only leading 5 men. (paraphrased)

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I have been preaching this all week. A good HC is a manager, a rudder (if you will). He hires the correct coordinators to run each prospective unit and merely steers them in the right direction. If the HC is calling plays and/or running the units, there is a breakdown somewhere. Hiring guys with no experience managing isn't wrong and has worked in the past but I would interview carefully and ask questions related to these essential needs. Fisher was a control freak. How did they miss this??

After WW2, Patton was asked how he was able to lead all those thousands of men and he replied that he was only leading 5 men. (paraphrased)

A Pattonesque mindset on a HC, would be pure gold...

"A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." Gen. Patton

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was speaking to the point that they think the OC should be selected because he will fix the offense, but the new HC should be the head coach, not the OC.

Why hire an OC as the Headcoach in order to fix the offense? You hire an OC as an OC to fix the offense........right?
So who are you suggesting?

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
Good list DTC; not sure, so I'm going to ask, how much turnover to these rosters since they took over? I would just hate to go through another 3 - 5 year rebuilding plan.
Thanks

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Hire Kyle Shanahan as Head Coach and Daddy as Assistant Head Coach/Offense...There, how's that?

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
As for who I would like to see run the show - (very hard and I'm generally holding back to see more candidates):

McDaniels - intrigues me as he has the training of both Belicheat and 2 years of HC experience. Has an offensive mind, but seems to have the bigger picture in mind.

Mike Martz - fits the same bill of having experience as a HC and an offensive mind.

Jim Harbaugh - I like most of what he brings minus his bizarre personality.

Kyle and Cooter worry me..................like a lot!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Why hire an OC as the Head Coach to the fix the offense? Because your team leader knows that side of the ball intimately. That includes knowing assistant coaches who can run the offense for him.

So no, you can definitely hire a HC to fix the offense. Their experience and skill with that unit will only help the assistants who run the unit. Plus, the HC often controls the system and philosophy. It makes a lot of sense to have a HC with a successful system and philosophy controlling the offense.(if you want proof of that, watch Jeff Fisher offenses)

They also failed as a head coach for a reason. And there's nothing even approaching a guarantee that the flaw that caused them to fail has been fixed.(see Jeff Fisher for an example of that)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You can do both. Head Coaches had to start somewhere, and it's usually as a coordinator. They've also been a branch on a particular coaching tree, so their experience in that regard would have a trickle-down effect. If you're a Buddy Ryan disciple, then you're going to tend to want to build a strong defense and run game. If you're a Coryell disciple, then you'll tend to want to build an offense. That's like the only reason I'd be for Gruden. He coached under Seifert and Holmgren, so his predilection is toward offense. But of course, that in and of itself, doesn't mean they'll be successful. Takes much more than a vision to get this right.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Indeed, but at least it's a start in the right direction.....we've been waiting far too long.
Well that's what I was saying. Fisher had a vision, and we've seen it manifest - sorta. He wanted a beast defense and a strong run game, having coached under Mike Ditka and Buddy Ryan. But that vision apparently wasn't enough, because it takes more than that. Kinda neglected the offense, albeit not deliberately - IMO. I mean, he tried, but it just didn't work out. His coordinators weren't much of a departure from his defensive vision, and maybe that was the problem. Seems you need a polar opposite if your predilection is toward only one side of the ball.