Nelson Spruce

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Pretty telling that all 3 QBs said virtually the same thing about Spruce - "always where he's supposed to be, QBs best friend, great hands, nice route runner...etc."
I only hope the coaches wanted to see if his practice translated to games, and they did, and they're keeping him, and now want to take a look at the other rookies.

lockdnram21

Legend
Read my lips, lockdnram...

Quick is not a lock to make this team.

Hell, he may be less than 50-50 to make it unless he starts to blow the doors off in these remaining 3 weeks.

There are 3 locks at this point.

Britt
Austin
Cooper

And it might even be a stretch to call Cooper a lock after that Cowboy game. Lol.
That's your opinion and I'm sticking to mine. Quick caught the only target he got that was catchable... Besides that all 3 qbs went to the first target most of the time. He would have to play like Thomas did in the next 3 games to get cut and I don't see that happening.

lockdnram21

Legend
Pretty telling that all 3 QBs said virtually the same thing about Spruce - "always where he's supposed to be, QBs best friend, great hands, nice route runner...etc."
I only hope the coaches wanted to see if his practice translated to games, and they did, and they're keeping him, and now want to take a look at the other rookies.
U still don't know if it translates vs good CBs. I like what I seen but I'm not sold yet

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Read my lips, lockdnram...

Quick is not a lock to make this team.

Hell, he may be less than 50-50 to make it unless he starts to blow the doors off in these remaining 3 weeks.

There are 3 locks at this point.

Britt
Austin
Cooper

And it might even be a stretch to call Cooper a lock after that Cowboy game. Lol.

How can we "Read Your Lips" unless you post them on ROD @Rams43? ;)

giphy.gif

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
U still don't know if it translates vs good CBs. I like what I seen but I'm not sold yet

I realize these guys are the best in the business, but everybody knows what Welker (did), and Amendola and Edelman are going to do, and they still cant stop them.

Hopefully we will see if it translates vs 1st string. If his injuries don't linger

Think it will - he's got the quicks (fuck 40 times), huge hands, and "IT".

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
@tavian @tomas

You guys got a thing for bashing this guy because of a couple of drops? Pretty sure you were ready to bury Duke Williams after a 5 drop practice.
drops happen..and for rookies, they sometimes happen more than usual. Curious, do you wanna ship Tavon to the cornfield after his 3rd down drop? What if Higbee dropped one? Oh god, what if Quick dropped 2? hahahhahhahahahahaha....

Oh yeah, Cook is a matchup nightmare.... I can almost guarantee you that with Rodgers, and motivated, he'll have a career year...He was our leading receiver while here...You think McCarthy is crazy? That GM isn't stupid...Green Bay doesn't grab FA's...but they go out and get Cook...Think about that...Super bowl aspirations, yet they grab Jared Cook...who's gonna start...

LA Champ...... Edit
The only reason anyone is bashing Thomas is because you said about Spruce and I quote"
"Spruce isn't even in the same area code of talent as Mike Thomas."
My thing is...the dude isn't going to get open...the routes he runs are 3-5 yards and turn around

Still thinking he cant get open?
.Thomas was drafted for a reason..."
So by your logic because Thomas was drafted and Spruce wasn't that automatically makes Thomas
the better player?Brilliant.

I write a positive piece on a guy who I have watched tape on and come to the conclusion that this kid has some skills and the first thing you do is insinuate that I only like him because he is white and all the while also coming off as though you are so much wiser than anyone else....StealYoGurley ponders with a open mind
StealYoGurley said: ↑
people seem to like him alot, so maybe I am missing something.
But you in your all knowing brilliance quickly corrected him
LA Champ said:
No you're not...I can think of one thing...but I'll keep it to myself.
Wow how did you come to that conclusion so quickly?You must be so much
smarter than everyone else.A mind reader to boot.
and then follow up by saying
"Spruce isn't even in the same area code of talent as Mike Thomas."
You see the problem isn't with Thomas.The problem is with you spouting off shit that you clearly know nothing about.
while disrespecting the opinion of another poster.

LA Champ said:
Nelson Spruce...Westlake guy...He's smart, I'll give him that...but as far as ability to separate, IDK. That push-off vs UCLA... That's the kinda guy that can't separate...at the college level.
If you pay close attention you will notice that Spruce had to slow down because of the placement of the ball.
if you pay closer attention you will notice how quickly Spruce tracked the ball.ball is barely out of Q.B.'s
hand and Nelson already knows it is going to be short
and gears down just enough.Pushing off?Irving made a
career out of it

LA Champ said:
do you wanna ship Tavon to the cornfield after his 3rd down drop?
Not sure I want to know what you mean by shipping Tavon to the cornfield,
but I'm pretty sure if you ask Tavon about the drop he would say that was some 7-9 bullshit.

LA Champ said:
Oh yeah, Cook is a matchup nightmare.... I can almost guarantee you that with Rodgers, and motivated, he'll have a career year...He was our leading receiver while here....

O.K. I'm going try to take a minute to explain to you the difference between a receiver who drops a ball
and a receiver who chronically drops the ball.Every receiver will drop a pass from time to time.it happens It's when
the drops become so frequent that the negative outweighs any positive achieved by said player.ie Jared Cook.
The number of drives that Cook killed in years past far outweighed the positive production he had.
Yes Cook did lead the Rams in receiving while here.So riddle me this....If Cook was such a good player,
why would the team with arguably the worst receiving core in the NFL cut him?? To coin your phrase
"think about that".
That being said playing for Green Bay might inspire him to better play and his numbers could
increase and his drops could improve or he could end up being the same drive killing machine he was with the
Rams.If that is what it takes to "inspire' him than by that theory alone HE SUCKS.
to break it down further
Higbee = Good
Cook = Bad......Bad

Need visual evidence watch the
video starting at 9:45.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2w-SULm2B8&feature=player_embedded

Last edited by a moderator:

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Sometimes you have to put the watch down, the tape measure in the pocket and use your eyes to measure ones ability. Sometimes it is the little things that you do well, the heart you do them with and the determination to succeed while doing it. Nelson Spruce seems to be one of these players. I don't know how far he goes but I do know he seems to transcend conventional evaluation.

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Here's the bottom line. All the speed and talent to get open don't mean squat if you can't hang onto the ball.
the difference between Thomas and Spruce? You can pretty much gaurantee Spruce will hang on to the ball if he touches it, and you never know with Thomas.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That's your opinion and I'm sticking to mine. Quick caught the only target he got that was catchable... Besides that all 3 qbs went to the first target most of the time. He would have to play like Thomas did in the next 3 games to get cut and I don't see that happening.

Quick pisses me off. He is real heady & seems like he plays like he doesn't care.
I was at practice yesterday.
--There was a play the defense read yesterday that was going to corner of end zone .HORRIBLE Play !!! Goff was standing in pocket with all day throw.I saw Quick running a slow azz route.
---I swear I almost ran from the bleachers to the field.If anyone knows me it almost happened.I was going to scream cut inside.Instead I think it was some kind of timing route for back of end zone right side.Three Rams in great zone coverage.---Wanted to get thrown out in my mind.Wanted to jump Fishers Bad play calling.Just way to many dead plays that don't have a chance to work.

My point on Quick.He runs routes that he has no idea where he is compared to the QB. He does not take an angle to give the QB a passing lane.He has hard time oicking up ball.

That said Quick will make The Rams.He is nothing special,but will catch 5 Plus TD's this season.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
I want production! It doesn't matter how tall you are or how fast unless you catch the damn ball! I don't care if you are a first rounder or an UDFA, let the most productive guys make the roster. I hope by mid-season we are yelling SPRUUUUCE!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
So by your logic because Thomas was drafted and Spruce wasn't that automatically makes Thomas
the better player?
interesting....Blue font means sarcasm here, but your reply doesn't seem sarcastic....I said, and you quoted, he's MORE TALENTED...so, no that doesn't necessarily make him a "better player". But, usually the more talent you have DOES produce the better player...Thomas has more talent...is he the better player, not sure yet, but from the looks of things, he is the better player, probably one of the better receivers on the team....I expect him to be featured Saturday night. We can all see...Too bad SPRUCE got hurt...I would have loved to see where his performance had lifted him in the wr rotation. And I want to see him against the 1st & 2nd string.
There is a lot to your comment...Curious, where are you going with it?
I'll try to clarify some of my statements...shipping Tavon to the cornfield...that's simple, that's the bench...Best way to improve some guys performance, replace them when they mess up...Next chance he gets. will be cherished...and maybe he catches the 3rd down throw....
Don't know where you get I'm a mind reader....you must be the mind reader...His stats in college are his stats...impressive.
Personally he reminds me of a couple receivers we had recently, Salas & Pettis. Don't think either is still in the league.
You like Spruce, hell I do too, don't think he still makes the team unless he can play special teams. As far as receiving goes, he's 7th or 8th on the list...wanna guess which 6 I have in front of him?

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
McRoberts
I'm watching this guy closer
I know I cursed his name on that opening kick off, but by the end of the game I was a big fan
Flying under the radar
Dude makes the catches - coaching staff likes the guy
I would love to hear more about him in the camp reports

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
Don't know where you get I'm a mind reader
The mind reader part comes from you insinuating I only liked Spruce because he was white.
Do I really have to explain everything to you?
.wanna guess which 6 I have in front of him?
Nope.Because your understanding of the game is elementary at best.
Wanna know who Jon Grudens pick to make the team is? It aint your boy.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The mind reader part comes from you insinuating I only liked Spruce because he was white.
Do I really have to explain everything to you?

Nope.Because your understanding of the game is elementary at best.
Wanna know who Jon Grudens pick to make the team is? It aint your boy.
Okay...

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
One week, even two is an eternity during training camp/preseason. I can't stress enough, this might mean he ends up the on the practice squad.

Sigh. I have to keep saying this over and over.
Here goes again:

Nelson Spruce has ALREADY made the final roster with his showing in the first preseason game. He can miss the next two games with injury and STILL be on the roster.

Nelson Spruce will be on our final roster. The Rams will not let him go.
I'm so serious and so sure of this that I'll have to say ... Does Anyone Disagree and Want to WAGER with me on this?

I didn't think so.
:)