Needs vs Draft and FA

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well I'm bored waiting on the combine stuff to hit full swing, so I figured I'd try to capture all of the team needs vs the avenues projected for filling them, via draft or FA:

Overall needs (assumes one CB, Barron, and Hayes are re-signed at a minimum):

QB - Starter is questionable, QBoF is questionable.
WR - 2 Starters needed.
TE - 1 Starter (pass catching) needed.
C - 1 Starter needed.
K - 1 Starter needed.
DT - 1 Depth needed.
DE - 1 Depth needed.

Likely FA fills:

WR - 1 Starter (Kearse/Jones/Sanu/etc)
TE - 1 Starter (Fleener/Green)
C - 1 Starter (Barnes returns)

Leftover needs to Draft:

QB - 1 QBoF
WR - 1 Starter
K - 1 Starter
DT - 1 Depth
DE - 1 Depth

Example draft with Trade Up that fills leftover needs:

1. QB Goff
2. WR Boyd
3. DE Ward
4. DT Hargrave
5. TRADE UP - K Fairbairn

Looking at the above the Rams lost flexibility by using one round 2 pick as part of a package to move up. Flexibility is greater without moving up and can be increased by signing a DT in FA for the rotation but I included both DT and DE in the draft due to the ridiculous depth of both. The example above demonstrates that even with a trade up the Rams can fill their needs this offseason relatively easily provided they draft well.

Last edited:

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Goff is a 49er at heart and don't get the hype

but Cook at 15 -- yes
and you save the second - which frees you up for that MLB we actually need in the 3rd or 4th

I don't see us not walking away with more offensive lineman and defensive backs in this draft, especially in the later rounds

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Barron is a key signing, IMO, right now.

I would love that draft. But it's going to take a serious load of draft picks to get Goff. As much as I'd be willing to do that; I don't see the Rams doing it.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Connor Cook @ #15 is a non starter for me. Serious REACH @ #15 period:palm:. I can not even move onto a discussion with that bad aftertaste just thinking on it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Connor Cook @ #15 is a non starter for me. Serious REACH @ #15 period:palm:. I can not even move onto a discussion with that bad aftertaste just thinking on it.

bad-tasting-food-full-house.gif

Ram65

Legend
Interesting take Merlin. At this time there are a lot of moving parts that effect the Rams moves. You covered most of them. I'm not sold on Ogletree as a MIKE. Goff will cost more. It will be interesting to see how close you come to what happens.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Trading up for Goff for only a 2nd could happen if he gets pass the 6th or 7th pick.One never knows what these teams are thinking there's always surprise moves in the top 10.If Goff got to that point I would do it in a heartbeat.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Trading up for Goff for only a 2nd could happen if he gets pass the 6th or 7th pick.One never knows what these teams are thinking there's always surprise moves in the top 10.If Goff got to that point I would do it in a heartbeat.

Possible, but it's likely not quite enough to get to #6 - maybe a future third would swing it, IF there isn't too much competition and if Baltimore isn't in love with a non-QB at that spot. I have a hard time believing that Goff would get past the 49ers at #7. Again, possible, but not likely.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
I just don't get why everyone has a h.o. for Goff. Dude is seriously small framed. I just don't see him lasting in today's NFL.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Possible, but it's likely not quite enough to get to #6 - maybe a future third would swing it, IF there isn't too much competition and if Baltimore isn't in love with a non-QB at that spot. I have a hard time believing that Goff would get past the 49ers at #7. Again, possible, but not likely.

What SF and Kelly decide on Kap will obviously have a lot to do with that pick. Jmo but I think Kelly will keep Kap to run san Francisco's offense. If that does happen that will open the door for a trade up for either Goff or Wentz.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Even with Kap, I think it more likely than not that they draft a QB if one they really like falls to them. Just with Kap they can give the rookie time to get up to speed. And if Kap looks good, then he would have trade value.

And I somehow doubt that the 49ers would do the Rams any favors - the Rams would need to significantly outbid everybody else for the 9ers to trade a pick for a QB to them.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Im all in on Wentz and I think the rams need to do whatever it take to get get him. Im not a huge fan of Goff and Lynch is pretty raw, no way to Cook under any circumstances. Wentz is the guy that will change the franchise they need to go get him.