Need to see more I-formation against the Cards

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
The run game was at it's best yesterday when Todd had a fullback to follow into the hole. Gurley played with a lead blocker throughout his college career and seems more comfortable doing so. He excels at putting defenders where he wants them and it helps when he can steer them into a fullback. Almost all of his successful runs were lead by Harkey:

The Bills had a lot of success running the ball at the Cardinals and a lot of it came out of the I-formation. I think every one of McCoy's long runs were lead by the FB.

Hopefully Boras and Fisher see this and attack the Cardinals in a similar fashion.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I was thinking they were saving the "I" formation, or even the power "I" for a game when we are in the lead and in control...

It seems the entire NFL is using that pistol/shotgun formation....and it happened overnight...

Curt760

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Curt760
Perfect post. I like to see Gurley in the I-formation. Worked great against TB.

Spider2YB

Pro Bowler
I think another key is first down play calling. Teams are keying on the run on nearly every down, but especially first. We need to get some play action, or reverse action with Tavon, to keep the defense honest.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was thinking they were saving the "I" formation, or even the power "I" for a game when we are in the lead and in control...

It seems the entire NFL is using that pistol/shotgun formation....and it happened overnight...
Yup, hence the concern about a college QB taking snaps from center is a little out dated

Justin15w

UDFA
Name
justin15w
Bills showed that their power running game could work the Cards' ILBs. I hope we use that offensive philosophy when we play them.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Need Kendricks and Cory Harkey in the game simultaneously against the Cardinals, the more Harkey, the better!

WestCoastRam

Legend
Made this point on another board but part of what's affecting Gurley is the missing jet sweeps and reverses to Tavon this year. Yes, we have them in the game but they're not EVERY OTHER PLAY. LBs are more able to run blitz or just crash the line of scrimmage now without having to stay home as much or even getting pulled out of the play by Tavon.

I'm not making an argument that we should go back to doing that every other play (as it really limits what you run out of the playbook) but it certainly is a factor in why the holes and lanes aren't as wide this year.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
That's the million dollar question isn't it?

Do we prepare against the Cardinals by using the same things the Bills used to beat them.... or can we assume that they will spend this week working to correct those issues and prepare for us to follow the Bills lead.... and in that case, then what?

WestCoastRam

Legend

Do we prepare against the Cardinals by using the same things the Bills used to beat them.... or can we assume that they will spend this week working to correct those issues and prepare for us to follow the Bills lead.... and in that case, then what?

Good point, I'd suggest you attack 'em with what they're weak at till they prove to you that they've fixed it.

I mean, the Rams for years in STL were known as soft up the A-and-B gaps running. Teams just pounded us between the tackles and we never solved it for years.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Bills used a lot of quick trap hitters and read option, which work well against defenses that like to get upfield quickly like AZ does. I don't think the film will be too helpful to the Rams, plus Arians is really good at adjusting week to week where his team shows issues. One thing I do think the Rams might do is pull their OGs more like how Buffalo used Cogs, but I doubt if they do that it will go well for them.

IMO the Rams OL just needs to anticipate the run blitz stuff they're seeing and be ready to execute. It's a growth thing week to week where if they can get better we are going to see Gurley go the F off and things open up even more for the passing game. The line isn't quite there yet. They gotta limit the penetration and give Gurley a chance, get the guy just a seam on the run downs, and everything will look very different.

OL growth is going to dictate how good this team can be I think. If they can do that to coincide with Goff taking the reins, things could get really good for us offensively.

RamWoodie

Legend
This is a "week to week" league! The teams that are more consistent weekly will win!

What we do know about the Cards is if you can get to Palmer often and early you can rattle him and he'll throw picks.

What we also know is the Cards have a good defense. Boras opened things up and took more shots downfield against Tampa...MORE OF THE SAME IS IN ORDER...AND...the Rams must use the TE because the Cards are vulnerable there.

MOST IMPORTANT...the Rams secondary best be putting in the work this week!

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is a "week to week" league! The teams that are more consistent weekly will win!

What we do know about the Cards is if you can get to Palmer often and early you can rattle him and he'll throw picks.

What we also know is the Cards have a good defense. Boras opened things up and took more shots downfield against Tampa...MORE OF THE SAME IS IN ORDER...AND...the Rams must use the TE because the Cards are vulnerable there.

MOST IMPORTANT...the Rams secondary best be putting in the work this week!

Getting Gaines back this week would be huge. Having him back can change us from a suspect secondary to a solid one. Having him and TruJo on the outside with Joyner playing lights out at nickel is a good starting group. Add Troy Hill, who had 11 tackles Sunday, as the backup and you have a solid group of guys.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The run game was at it's best yesterday when Todd had a fullback to follow into the hole. Gurley played with a lead blocker throughout his college career and seems more comfortable doing so. He excels at putting defenders where he wants them and it helps when he can steer them into a fullback. Almost all of his successful runs were lead by Harkey:

The Bills had a lot of success running the ball at the Cardinals and a lot of it came out of the I-formation. I think every one of McCoy's long runs were lead by the FB.

Hopefully Boras and Fisher see this and attack the Cardinals in a similar fashion.

Good post. I agree that the Cardinals are vulnerable vs the rush in the middle, and run right at P.Peterson when running wide. Also when in the I-formation or any run formation the Cards can be vulnerable covering the TE.

RamWoodie

Legend
Getting Gaines back this week would be huge. Having him back can change us from a suspect secondary to a solid one. Having him and TruJo on the outside with Joyner playing lights out at nickel is a good starting group. Add Troy Hill, who had 11 tackles Sunday, as the backup and you have a solid group of guys.
Yes...but Hill is still green...and somewhat shaky still...then there's SensaBURN...I don't expect to see him with the team much longer...he's just not good!

That said...a major factor will be the pressure the Rams get on Palmer...the DLine has to be on point.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Keenum and company do need to be ready to pick up and combat that cover zero blitz that AZ always throws at teams on 3rd and long. They're never ready for it (other teams).

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!

The answer is we work on both and put in plays the bills did and hybrid that with our offense.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Did a little more research today. It looks like we attacked the Cardinals in a similar manner last year in week 4. Almost all of Gurley's successful runs were lead by a fullback or a TE lined up as a lead blocker:

I don't know why we have done so much single-back sets this year but Boras and Fisher need to look at the film. With so many people stacked in the box it helps to have a FB there to block anyone who makes it through the line. This O-line is not good enough yet to be running single-back formations against stacked fronts. I want to see a lot of Harkey this next game.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

We will just have to wait and see! No choice in the matter! But your right!