Need the opinion on smartphone techies

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Alrite, so I have an HTC phone, and I just found out that HTC is struggling. Why? I know Apple's power, but it's not on par w/ Samsung or the Google Nexus phones?

I had a Samsung phone that after a few months had very bad battery life, wouldn't start right, GPS wouldn't work. I had to replace it w/ a refurbished phone (same model) and after a few months I finally could get rid of it and jumped at the HTC Evo 3D. Been always jealous of friends that had HTC, and in the same amount of time I had the Samsung, it still working perfectly. Phones have gotten a lot better the past 3 years, but I thought HTC have made great phones. I wanted to upgrade to the Galaxy S III phone, but I can't until next year. The same time, I'm glad I could keep my Evo a little while longer.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
Not exactly sure what you're asking. I have an HTC Rezound and my phone before that was the Samsung Omnia 2. Just got an update for ICS and so far am liking the HTC better than the Samsung... and I love Samsung tech.

Angry Ram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I read on this app called Flipboard that HTC is hoping the China market can help the "struggling company." W/ my HTC, I've never had any problems and think they make really good phones. I was j/w, if Samsung's phones are really that good now, or if the perception of HTC phones is just not good.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
It sounds like you are set on getting a Android phone, however if I were you I'd at least wait to see what the iPhone 5 has to offer. Rumor has it the announcement will be soon.

I have owned the first iPhone, 3G model, and now the 4s and could not be happier. If you look at the specs, Samsung/HTC/Motorola are usually superior. iPhones are a far more efficient tho and more than make up for the short fall in specs. Apple's control of the whole ecosystem(Hardware, OS, and Apps) allows for that.

I also know people that have switched to windows phones lately and have been extremely pleased. Id wait for windows 8 to drop in november before considering one of those, as the current flagship windows phone wont be supported.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I owed the 3GS and currently 4s iPhone. I could not be more happier!!! So user friendly. Blackberry is sinking too. Might be worth staying w/ the powerful apple company. Plus you can sync w/ iPad & macs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Angry Ram

I'm not going to by an iPhone. I don't buy into Apple products, think they are overpriced and overrated. Plus there's that thing on how they are assembled in China. I've been reading that the newest iPhone won't even have youtube, which is insane in the tech world.

I just want to know why HTC is supposedly struggling, unlike Samsung or Motorola. Like I said in my OP, I have the Evo 3D and it's been workin perfectly since May 2011.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not sure why HTC would be struggling unless it's just that they may be kind of the new kids on the block and there are so frickin many phone builders out there now. My last phone was an HTC and I loved it. The only thing I thought my wife's i-phone was better at was taking pictures. I bought my son an HTC and he loves it. Of course my older techy son has a Windows phone and he thinks it is the shit. I got myself a Motorola Razor Maxx and I gotta say, though I like the bigger screen and the pictures it takes, I liked my HTC Droid 2 better.

Bottom line... no clue. Yeah - I feel like the guy who calls in to a poll to vote "no opinion". :whome?:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Hadn't heard that HTC was in any trouble. My son has had a thunderbolt for a while now and likes it just fine. I picked up the Samsung GSIII a few weeks ago when it came out and it is a very nice phone. Super fast, ICS, great screen and phenomenal camera. It has its flaws (no native mass storage mode, which is inexplicable to me), but overall it is the nicest phone I have ever had. I love the form factor the most. Nice big screen, but lighter than my old ass Droid X somehow.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
DROID.

I've had the Galaxy SII for a while, and even though I'm eligible to upgrade, I don't feel like it. This thing does everything I need it to do, it's light, has a huge screen, fast, durable, etc. As far as the i5 is concerned, I'd do a little reading up on that. That's all I'm saying.

Plus, when you're at a point that you're talking TO your phone, you've gone too far.

Angry Ram

RamFan503 said:
Not sure why HTC would be struggling unless it's just that they may be kind of the new kids on the block and there are so frickin many phone builders out there now. My last phone was an HTC and I loved it. The only thing I thought my wife's i-phone was better at was taking pictures. I bought my son an HTC and he loves it. Of course my older techy son has a Windows phone and he thinks it is the shit. I got myself a Motorola Razor Maxx and I gotta say, though I like the bigger screen and the pictures it takes, I liked my HTC Droid 2 better.

Bottom line... no clue. Yeah - I feel like the guy who calls in to a poll to vote "no opinion". :whome?:

That's the thing, they aren't new. One of the 1st phones they had (on Sprint at least) was the HTC Hero. My friend had one and it was beast for 2009 standards. Then my cousin had one on Verizon's network and it was lightyears ahead of my Moment.

Faceplant said:
Hadn't heard that HTC was in any trouble. My son has had a thunderbolt for a while now and likes it just fine. I picked up the Samsung GSIII a few weeks ago when it came out and it is a very nice phone. Super fast, ICS, great screen and phenomenal camera. It has its flaws (no native mass storage mode, which is inexplicable to me), but overall it is the nicest phone I have ever had. I love the form factor the most. Nice big screen, but lighter than my old ass Droid X somehow.

What version of ISC does the GSIII have? 4.0.4 or 4.0.3 (which is what my EVO just upgraded to...it's awesome!).

X said:
DROID.

I've had the Galaxy SII for a while, and even though I'm eligible to upgrade, I don't feel like it. This thing does everything I need it to do, it's light, has a huge screen, fast, durable, etc. As far as the i5 is concerned, I'd do a little reading up on that. That's all I'm saying.

Plus, when you're at a point that you're talking TO your phone, you've gone too far.

Agreed.

But dude, you should really upgrade to the SIII. Everywhere I've read it's one of the best phones on the market, and if you have any trade in credit use it now before it depreciates in value. Unless there's something awesome on the SII that isn't on the SIII, then that's completely understandable.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Angry Ram said:
But dude, you should really upgrade to the SIII. Everywhere I've read it's one of the best phones on the market, and if you have any trade in credit use it now before it depreciates in value. Unless there's something awesome on the SII that isn't on the SIII, then that's completely understandable.
I probably will. I test drove it the other day when I took my son in to upgrade his phone. He ended up getting the i4S because he wanted the better screen resolution. That's where one phone trumps the other, and he's a media freak so it makes sense. I played around with the iPhone, and it's alright. I just can't get into the smaller screen and the OS.

It's the old PC v MAC debate only smaller.

Both have their merits, but I'll never make the switch.
Plus the Apple store employees freak me out a little. It's like a cult in there. :sly:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Angry Ram said:
Faceplant said:

What version of ISC does the GSIII have? 4.0.4 or 4.0.3 (which is what my EVO just upgraded to...it's awesome!).

X said:
DROID.

Agreed.

My S3 is running ICS 4.0.4 and will supposedly be getting the Jellybean update at some point t. I could never use an iPhone... To proprietary and locked down. There really is not one thing that ios does better than Android. Even the ip5 will have a smaller screen than the S3. Apple makes ok tech for some, just not for me. Love my S3....

Angry Ram

Faceplant said:
Angry Ram said:
Faceplant said:

X said:
DROID.

Agreed.

My S3 is running ICS 4.0.4 and will supposedly be getting the Jellybean update at some point t. I could never use an iPhone... To proprietary and locked down. There really is not one thing that ios does better than Android. Even the ip5 will have a smaller screen than the S3. Apple makes ok tech for some, just not for me. Love my S3....

Gotcha, hopefully your carrier will give it soon, like I had 2 wait over a year for 3.0 to 4.0.