Nebraska’s Randy Gregory: I’m worthy of the No. 1 overall pick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...y-gregory-im-worthy-of-the-no-1-overall-pick/

Nebraska’s Randy Gregory: I’m worthy of the No. 1 overall pick
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 9, 2015

randygregory.jpeg
AP

Nebraska defensive end/outside linebacker Randy Gregory wants the world to know that he deserves consideration as the first overall pick in the 2015 NFL draft.

“I think I’m worthy of the No. 1 pick,” Gregory told USA Today. “I would hope anybody in the draft would want to be the No. 1 pick. I know how I am as a player. I know my potential. I know what I can do. I know what I bring to a team. And I understand that this position is a premium. Everyone wants someone that can get to the quarterback. Everyone wants a quarterback. Everyone wants a left tackle that can block that guy that wants to get to the quarterback. I understand the game and where it’s headed, and I understand that there’s a big need, a big demand. I definitely think I’m worthy.”

Most people think the Buccaneers will take a quarterback, Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston, with the first overall pick. Among non-quarterbacks, most draft observers consider USC defensive end Leonard Williams the top player. So while Gregory has the talent to be a Top 5 pick, No. 1 overall seems awfully unlikely.

Gregory has been compared to Dion Jordan, who went No. 3 overall in the 2013 NFL draft. They are similar players, although the fact that Jordan has been a disappointment in his first two NFL seasons isn’t great news for Gregory.

The biggest question facing the 6-foot-6 Gregory is whether he’s too skinny for the NFL. Gregory says he currently weighs 242 pounds, and at that weight NFL offensive tackles are going to eat him alive. But Gregory thinks he could comfortably bulk up all the way to 270 if the team that drafts him wants him to. At that weight, he could be a terror in the NFL. But probably not a No. 1 overall pick.

Ltrautman

MIZ
Well if you're gonna draft a guy that high I'd rather take one who says he deserves to be number 1 than a guy who says he doesn't

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I wouldn't even consider him until around 10-15 to be honest, pretty overrated in my book. Talented player but not as dominant as a #1 overall pick , or even a top 10 pick should be.

Athos

Legend
I wouldn't even consider him until around 10-15 to be honest, pretty overrated in my book. Talented player but not as dominant as a #1 overall pick , or even a top 10 pick should be.

And 6'6 and 242 seems hella light for a DE that tall. To compare, Quinn is 6'4 264 and Shane Ray is 6'3 245.

Also agree he isn't worthy of top D pick. Not even top 3-4-5 D picks.

Leonard Williams is the beast. And I'd rather take a Shane Ray (Von Miller type) than yesh, a comparison to Deon Jordan. Which isn't the comparison you want.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I like Gregory but he takes plays off and I wouldn't be too comfy if the Rams took him even at 10.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Anyone who says "I" and its variations that many times thinks way too much of themselves. As far as defensive linemen go, I have Williams, Ray, Dupree, and Golden rated above you. When outside linebackers are included, Fowler, Orchard, and Dawson are also way above you. And that's not even counting players at other positions.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...tested-positive-for-marijuana-at-nfl-combine/

Randy Gregory tested positive for marijuana at NFL Combine
Posted by Curtis Crabtree on March 26, 2015

randy-gregory.jpg
Getty Images

Randy Gregory is easily one of the top defensive prospects in this year’s draft class. Gregory, a standout defensive end from Nebraska, views himself so highly as a prospect that he believes he’s worthy of the No. 1 overall pick in the draft.

However, failing a drug test at the NFL Combine won’t help his status.

In an interview with Kim Jones of the NFL Network, Gregory admitted that he tested positive for marijuana at the event in late February in Indianapolis.

“I blame myself,” Gregory said. “And I know it sounds cliché, but there’s really no one else I can blame.”

The combine has set dates. All the participants know when it is. And yet, somehow players still occasionally fail the drug tests they know await them in Indy.

Gregory says he hasn’t smoked marijuana since December and yet still tested positive because of how high his THC levels were.

Seriously.

That seems incredibly far-fetched. A highly trained athlete preparing for the combine, working out several times a week in the lead-up to the event, having not smoked marijuana in close to two months and still tests positive? Not sure I buy that one.

Now Gregory will be in the league’s drug system, which means he’ll be tested for recreational drugs more frequently and will be much closer to a potential suspension in the future.

It could have an effect on how early Gregory is drafted next month.

Gregory is an intriguing pass rushing prospect and his skills will still lead to him being selected early in the draft. However, if Gregory cannot control his off-field decisions, he could find himself following Josh Gordon’s footsteps in the future.

Athos

Legend
Why do they test for weed? Anyone? Is there a point?

To see how dumb you are I'd imagine. And because, Josh Gordon. No teams wants to draft a guy with the potential to get his ass benched for an entire season. Twice.

Seriously though, you gotta be some kind of dumb fucking moron to get caught with drugs in your system during the combine.

So add idiot to his overrated label. Not even Jenks toked up for that nonsense. Or DGB.

Stel

Starter
To see how dumb you are I'd imagine. And because, Josh Gordon. No teams wants to draft a guy with the potential to get his ass benched for an entire season. Twice.

Seriously though, you gotta be some kind of dumb freaking moron to get caught with drugs in your system during the combine.

So add idiot to his overrated label. Not even Jenks toked up for that nonsense. Or DGB.

Agree. With potentially millions of dollars on the line the guy either isn't bright enough or mature enough to control his conduct to pass a drug test. Anyone think he'll exercise better judgment after someone gives him several million dollars in guaranteed money?

V3

Hall of Fame

Seriously though, you gotta be some kind of dumb freaking moron to get caught with drugs in your system during the combine.

I totally agree that testing at the combine is pretty much the "stupid test", but once they're in the NFL, what's the point? It doesn't give any competitive advantage. Just stop testing for it once they make it to the NFL.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Why do they test for weed? Anyone? Is there a point?

No, there really isn't. Half of the league smokes. But like someone said, they know when they need to stop, so those who get caught are really stupid. I've also heard they may not be testing for that anymore soon, but I don't know for sure.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Agree. With potentially millions of dollars on the line the guy either isn't bright enough or mature enough to control his conduct to pass a drug test. Anyone think he'll exercise better judgment after someone gives him several million dollars in guaranteed money?

I would take the more talented pass rusher who failed a drug test at the combine over a less talanted guy who wowed me on the wonderlic or in an interview.

V3

Hall of Fame
If this guy were to drop, how will this forum react when Snisher takes him instead of an O-lineman?

Me? I'd be torn. I can't fault them for taking obvious value, but at the same time, it'd piss me off to no end that they failed so badly in all the previous drafts and FA periods to address the O-line.

Stel

Starter
I would take the more talented pass rusher who failed a drug test at the combine over a less talanted guy who wowed me on the wonderlic or in an interview.

The most talented pass rusher in the NFL can't put much pressure on the quarterback from the suspended list. Talent is irrelevant if you're not allowed to play. Regardless of personal opinion of drug rules, they exist as a part of the employment contract in the NFL. People who violate those rules are not much use to their teams. Bigger red flag than medical, in my opinion. You can fix most injuries and evaluate the risk of reinjury. You can't fix stupid.

Stel

Starter
If this guy were to drop, how will this forum react when Snisher takes him instead of an O-lineman?

How would you react if we took Gregory in the first and DGB in the second and they spent 2015 on the suspended list because they chose weed over team?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
The most talented pass rusher in the NFL can't put much pressure on the quarterback from the suspended list. Talent is irrelevant if you're not allowed to play. Regardless of personal opinion of drug rules, they exist as a part of the employment contract in the NFL. People who violate those rules are not much use to their teams. Bigger red flag than medical, in my opinion. You can fix most injuries and evaluate the risk of reinjury. You can't fix stupid.

By the most talented pass rusher in the NFL do you mean Justin Houston?

V3

Hall of Fame
How would you react if we took Gregory in the first and DGB in the second and they spent 2015 on the suspended list because they chose weed over team?
This is a little "conspiracy theory-ish" but if that happened, it'd tell me that Fisher knows this is a lame duck season and sees 2016 as the season he'll make a real push for the SB. I don't think Fisher gets fired after this season no matter how bad it could turn out. That is the only way I can understand him continuing to ignore the O-line; that he just doesn't expect to win next season.

That being said, I don't think he thinks that. I think they'll take O-line with at least one of the top two picks. I'll bet all my ROD bucks on it. I also think the Rams are going to be looking to trade down so they can get an extra 2nd to take another OL.

Stel

Starter
By the most talented pass rusher in the NFL do you mean Justin Houston?

No, I speak of the figurative best pass rusher with a drug issue. The problem with a player like this is you don't know whether you're getting one who can clean up his act or whether you're getting a problem child. Again, talent is irrelevant if they won't let you play.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't want him. I don't think he fits as a 4/3 DE. He is too light. He looks more like a 3/4 OLB. And he has a lot of growing up to do apparently. Smoking weed a few months before the combine is STUPID. Might as well go to a job interview with a rasta hat and a shirt with a leaf on the front.