Nearly 1 in 3 Americans Would Make Christianity Official Rel

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
http://www.newsmax.com/US/Nearly-1-...-Official-Religion-of-US/2013/04/06/id/498149

A national poll recently conducted by Huffington Post and YouGov found that one third of Americans support making Christianity the official religion of their home states.

What's more, 32 percent said they would favor a constitutional amendment, which would make Christianity the official religion of the United States, while 52 percent said they would not.

In the survey that was taken in early April, 34 percent of adults said they would favor establishing Christianity as the official religion in their state, while 47 percent said they would oppose such a move, according to Huffington Post.

Eleven percent did not believe that it was constitutional for states to establish an official religion.

Establishing a national religion is specifically prohibited by the First Amendment of the Constitution, which states that “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion . . . ”

More than a third of those surveyed agreed with the statement that the country has “gone too far in keeping religion and government separate.”

The poll also found that Republicans were more likely to support establishing Christianity as a state religion than Democrats or independents.

The poll results were released days after North Carolina legislators shut down a resolution that would have declared “each state is sovereign and may independently determine how the state may make laws respecting an establishment of religion."

Not trying to start a debacle here just thoughr this was interesting in tge fact that I belive we had a revelutionary war and part of putting the constitution in place was to put an end to nationalization of religion. Smh

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Re: Nearly 1 in 3 Americans Would Make Christianity Official

I've already got a religion.

Ordained, even. :cool:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr5jZDIXhc0[/youtube]

bluecoconuts

Legend

I'm not too shocked by the results, given our heritage, most people who identify with a religion are Christians... Although I'm a bit disappointed that only 11% pointed out it wasn't constitutional.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame

Ill bet the majority of that 34% would label themselves "conservative" too. :nono:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Huh... Smells like politics. :bummed:

FWIW - The Huffington Post is not exactly known for clear unbiased polls. I wonder what the wording actually said.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

RamFan503 said:

FWIW - The Huffington Post is not exactly known for clear unbiased polls. I wonder what the wording actually said.
Precisely. There is an agenda at-play here by HuffPo, just not sure what it is.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

interference said:
RamFan503 said:

Precisely. There is an agenda at-play here by HuffPo, just not sure what it is.

Gotta be one of the most agenda driven "news" sources around. Not sure what their bent is on this one either. Frankly, I don't really give a shit but you know it's there.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKCy6AywosA[/youtube]