Ndamukong Suh sheds light on Rams' 'terrible' run defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
By: Cameron DaSilva | 22 minutes ago

The Los Angeles Rams looked like a perfect team in the first three weeks of the season. They were blowing teams out, locking down opposing offenses and scoring seemingly at will. The past two weeks, however, have been a bit of a struggle on the defensive side of the ball.

They’ve given up 62 points the past two games to the Vikings and Seahawks, which is nearly twice as many points as they surrendered in the first three games combined. Seattle had its way on the ground, rushing for 190 yards on 32 carries.

p

The Broncos have one of the best rushing attacks in the NFL with rookies Phillip Lindsay and Royce Freeman, which could prove to be an issue for the Rams once again. Ndamukong Suh didn’t mince words on the team’s run defense, calling it “terrible.”

“Terrible, without question, because of 191 yards. I can’t think back to many times of defenses that I’ve been a part of that have [given up] 191 yards, let alone many times over 100,” Suh said Thursday. “Because I’ve been a part of some great defenses where we’ve allowed maybe one team get close to 100, or over 100, so that’s what I pride myself on.”

usatsi_11307368.jpg

Robert Hanashiro-USA TODAY Sports

While Suh gave credit to the Seahawks for doing some good things on offense, but he knows the issues against the run are the Rams’ own fault. It typically comes down to gap discipline, making tackles and closing up running lanes, none of which the Rams have done well in two of the past three weeks.

Suh thinks the unit has to go back to basics.

“I think our terrible run defense over the last two weeks is primarily due to our own self. At the end of the day, it came down to us not being disciplined, not making the correct plays, especially when you go back and look at the film. And really all we just gotta do is go back to the basics. Tackle, first and foremost, and be where we’re supposed to be,” he said.

There’s reason for optimism, of course. It’s just a matter of coming together and clicking as a cohesive unit, from the front to the back end.

“When we get consistent and we’re all on the same page at all times, we’ll be a dangerous defense,” he added.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/10/12/nfl-los-angeles-rams-ndamukong-suh-run-defense/

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I remember a few times last game Donald would blow by his defender right when the ball was sacked almost blowing the play up in the backfield just to barely miss and the RB sprinting up the whole he left behind. Is this Suh taking a shot at Donald because he's not playing his gap assignments?

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I remember a few times last game Donald would blow by his defender right when the ball was sacked almost blowing the play up in the backfield just to barely miss and the RB sprinting up the whole he left behind. Is this Suh taking a shot at Donald because he's not playing his gap assignments?

Where did he say that?
He said "we" not "Donald"

You work for the NFL Network or something?

tempests

Hall of Fame
Good. Not making excuses, putting the blame where it belongs, on themselves.

And they were all messing up against Seattle, not just one guy.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm not expert but in a 3-4 I think they rely on the LB's to keep their gap integrity. I didn't read into him taking a shot at anyone but if he did I would think its the LB's.

fearsomefour

Legend
I appreciate the honesty.
The yardage total was certainly impacted by missed tackles. Several times the Rams would have Cason stopped for a one two or three yard gain and he would shake loose and pick up 8, 10 or 12 yards.
Either way the front seven got their asses handed to them last week. I noticed Brockers getting moved out, which usually doesn't happen.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Of course he's not calling anyone in particular out, but he certainly did call out a lack of discipline. I'm just pleasantly surprised by the professionalism and experience that Ndamukong brought to this team. He's not just a me first veteran star willing to collect his check while his team devolves in a paper tiger.

Ram65

Legend
This would be the perfect week to get back to basics as Suh stated. The Rams need a solid defensive performance in what may be the biggest Wade Bowl so far. Everyone will be watching the front seven this week. They all need to improve.

AllGasNoBrakes

Air Traffic Controller
Looking at you LBers. Need to get Barron up to speed.

Would love to see Littleton tried on the edge and Barron, Wilson in the middle. Littleton has natural rush ability, unfortunately he’s our only good ILB right now...

REV3NGE

Rookie
Name
Adrian
remember a few times last game Donald would blow by his defender right when the ball was sacked almost blowing the play up in the backfield just to barely miss and the RB sprinting up the whole he left behind. Is this Suh taking a shot at Donald because he's not playing his gap assignments?
Agree. I thought the same thing last game. What I can remember he went for the sack but could’ve had HUGE losses w the back. He normally would beat the exchange (or tackle em both).

Stump23

Rookie
I think Littleton made a couple of bad decisions like Ogletree did last year. What sucks is that when the wrong decision is made, it looks so glaring because the back gashes us for 10+ yards without being touched. Overall, Littleton has stepped up IMO due to his new overall responsibilities. This will be a great test against Denver's running game.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I'm not expert but in a 3-4 I think they rely on the LB's to keep their gap integrity. I didn't read into him taking a shot at anyone but if he did I would think its the LB's.

Problem is looked like they were playing a 3/3 most of the time.... seemed like they really got spread out and or they wanted more speed with DBs on the field due to Wilson's running ability.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
The biggest problem I noticed was guys were trying to strip the ball before stopping the runner. If you want to strip the ball someone needs to stop the runner then the 2nd and 3rd guy go for the ball. If everyone is going for the ball the runner keeps moving forward or the OL pushes the pile gaining more yards.

Same thing happened with Cook week 1, he would just drag guys that were going for the ball. Nobody was wrapping his legs to stop forward progress.