Ndamukong Suh fined $100,000, not suspended

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

had

Rookie
CGI_Ram said:
I think in Suh's case it's not "mean sonofabitch" stuff. It's dirty. It's classless. It crosses the line of sportsmanship.

Brockers is the type of mean player I like. So is Jake Long, Harvey Dahl, etc.

Yeah, it's dirty. Classless, maybe. I mean, this is a game where guys are giving each other brain damage for christ's sake, how much class is there in a game like this? This is a mean, dirty game. Line of sportsmanship. I guess.

I can certainly see why some guys would watch what he's done, and think he's a total ahole. And he is an ahole. Personally I just see it as a guy who is driven to physically dominate people he comes up against. And I kind of like it.

Wow I guess I'm the ahole.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
had said:
Personally I just see it as a guy who is driven to physically dominate people he comes up against. And I kind of like it.

I don't think many here disagree with that! :bg:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
had said:
I'm not sure what's being argued here, but I do have an opinion about Suh, which I am compelled to voice.

The guy is just a mean SOB when he's playing football. Stomping guys, throwing QBs to the ground, kicking guys in the crotch as he's sliding past the play. Guy is a mean sonofabitch.

Which, frankly, I like.

Now, those are pretty dumb things to do because they hurt the team, but that doesn't make him dumb. Lot's of smart people make dumb decisions. Ten minutes of research will give you examples of some of the smartest people ever doing really dumb things.

There are lots of mean a-holes who are not dumb shits. I'm all over the mean SOB. I'll take that dude on my team any day if he's not being a dumb shit and constantly hurting my team. Sorry - but people who do dumb things and can't stop doing dumb things are dumb. If it walks like a duck...

Or if you prefer... He's insane by definition - not crazy, just insane. And if you want to try to build a team around insane players, have at it. I'd rather have the player that is a mean SOB and knows what he can and cannot do so that he helps your team without killing it on the next play.

BTW... what has Suh ever done that would suggest that he is intelligent or smart or whatever descriptor you would prefer? New moves? Reads offenses any better? A quick learner? Maybe. But I haven't seen it.

had

Rookie
RamFan503 said:
There are lots of mean a-holes who are not dumb shytes. I'm all over the mean SOB. I'll take that dude on my team any day if he's not being a dumb shyte and constantly hurting my team. Sorry - but people who do dumb things and can't stop doing dumb things are dumb. If it walks like a duck...

Or if you prefer... He's insane by definition - not crazy, just insane. And if you want to try to build a team around insane players, have at it. I'd rather have the player that is a mean SOB and knows what he can and cannot do so that he helps your team without killing it on the next play.

BTW... what has Suh ever done that would suggest that he is intelligent or smart or whatever descriptor you would prefer? New moves? Reads offenses any better? A quick learner? Maybe. But I haven't seen it.

Maybe he's a little out of control sometimes. Needs to learn to channel that aggression better.

The way I see it, when he's playing football, he is offended by the idea that another man is going to stop him, and becomes filled with furious anger. I'd say if anything, he's an ego maniac, not insane or crazy or stupid.

I'm wondering what exactly you think mean SOBs do.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
had said:
CGI_Ram said:
I think in Suh's case it's not "mean sonofabitch" stuff. It's dirty. It's classless. It crosses the line of sportsmanship.

Brockers is the type of mean player I like. So is Jake Long, Harvey Dahl, etc.

Yeah, it's dirty. Classless, maybe. I mean, this is a game where guys are giving each other brain damage for christ's sake, how much class is there in a game like this? This is a mean, dirty game. Line of sportsmanship. I guess.

I can certainly see why some guys would watch what he's done, and think he's a total ahole. And he is an ahole. Personally I just see it as a guy who is driven to physically dominate people he comes up against. And I kind of like it.

Wow I guess I'm the ahole.

He's a turd.

And as far as being driven to dominate people, he isn't doing that in the NFL like he did in college and that's what makes him throw tantrums and lash out. He gets controlled often and he doesn't like it. He isn't worth the money or the draft slot used on him and I'm guessing the Lions aren't happy with the production or on field and off field bullshit from him.

One in a generation lol......not exactly as advertised is he......

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
why is this thread getting so much activity. i dont get it.

had

Rookie
Stranger said:

Well, I'm interested in this thread because I think Suh is an interesting player. Also, because I think there's a smidgen of pantie waisting going on with some of the complaints about him.

had

Rookie
LesBaker said:
He's a turd.

And as far as being driven to dominate people, he isn't doing that in the NFL like he did in college and that's what makes him throw tantrums and lash out. He gets controlled often and he doesn't like it. He isn't worth the money or the draft slot used on him and I'm guessing the Lions aren't happy with the production or on field and off field BS from him.

One in a generation lol......not exactly as advertised is he......

I can understand why you'd think he's a turd.

And I was not on the draft Suh bandwagon. I wanted Eric Berry in that draft (god I hope that's the right draft :))

I don't care where he was drafted or how much he makes. And maybe you're right, maybe he's throwing tantrums. Could be.

To me, and I could very well be wrong, he's going to be one of the greats, and the great ones come with great egos.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Stranger perplexed:
why is this thread getting so much activity. i don't get it.

I posted it because I was pretty sure that there were many posters who got really invested in drafting him. I'm always interested in the fate of players I really wanted. Apparently so are many others. Plus we started talking about intelligence and or anger management and other psychological problems which added more interesting stuff to the mix. :lol:

You need to stop sitting at that bar and get out more. :ww:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Stranger said:

Because of the huge amount of fan angst over whom to draft Bradford or Suh and the pissing matches all over the Internet.

Frankly neither of them have lived up to the hype or have been worth the draft slot and contracts. That said I prefer Bradford over Suh five out of five times.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
had said:
RamFan503 said:
There are lots of mean a-holes who are not dumb shytes. I'm all over the mean SOB. I'll take that dude on my team any day if he's not being a dumb shyte and constantly hurting my team. Sorry - but people who do dumb things and can't stop doing dumb things are dumb. If it walks like a duck...

Maybe he's a little out of control sometimes. Needs to learn to channel that aggression better.

The way I see it, when he's playing football, he is offended by the idea that another man is going to stop him, and becomes filled with furious anger. I'd say if anything, he's an ego maniac, not insane or crazy or stupid.

I'm wondering what exactly you think mean SOBs do.

I'm going with the definition of insane being that if you do the same thing over and over hoping for a different result, you're not sane.

What do I think mean SOBs do? Think Rosey Greer or Merlin Olsen. Maybe Reggie White?

Fine. He's an egomaniac. Don't want them either if their ego is all that matters. I also have a problem with the guy who becomes filled with furious anger because someone stopped him. If that furious anger results in better play without screwing your team? Yeah - ok. Care to name an example? It sure as hell isn't Suh so far.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
LesBaker said:
Stranger said:

Because of the huge amount of fan angst over whom to draft Bradford or Suh and the pissing matches all over the Internet.

Frankly neither of them have lived up to the hype or have been worth the draft slot and contracts. That said I prefer Bradford over Suh five out of five times.

Y'know Les? It's not really that with me. Sure I was pushing for Suh and am now glad that we went the route we did. Yeah neither one has lived up to the hype I suppose. But I love watching freak defensive players even when they are not Rams (except when they play the Rams). The dude is also from Oregon so I kinda have a bit in it there. But I would honestly love to see Suh be a real animal and total stud DT. I want to rout for him even though he plays for a team I really don't care about. I want to see him blow up the line, chase down RBs, and squash QBs. But in my mind, the main reason he is not doing that is BECAUSE he is a dumb ass. Rather than really learning and improving on his game, he is like a spoiled brat out there. As a football fan, that maddens me. So much potential but nothing between the ears to see it through.

had

Rookie
RamFan503 said:
I'm going with the definition of insane being that if you do the same thing over and over hoping for a different result, you're not sane.

What do I think mean SOBs do? Think Rosey Greer or Merlin Olsen. Maybe Reggie White?

Fine. He's an egomaniac. Don't want them either if their ego is all that matters. I also have a problem with the guy who becomes filled with furious anger because someone stopped him. If that furious anger results in better play without screwing your team? Yeah - ok. Care to name an example? It sure as hell isn't Suh so far.

These are my opinions.

Rosey Grier was a sweetheart. Merlin Olsen was not a mean SOB. Not at all. Deacon Jones? The king of that line? The guy you left out?

A mean SOB.

So.

I don't think you're "all over the mean SOB" at all. For a minute.

I am going to stop posting in this thread, because Suh is not a Ram, and because there's just so much to say about the guy. But I would invite you to try to understand what it would take to be the baddest man in the NFL. Don't just dismiss it. Think about it for a second. You'd have to be a bad motherf*cker. And you don't get there doing needlepoint.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
had said:
RamFan503 said:

These are my opinions.

Rosey Grier was a sweetheart. Merlin Olsen was not a mean SOB. Not at all. Deacon Jones? The king of that line? The guy you left out?

A mean SOB.

So.

I don't think you're "all over the mean SOB" at all. For a minute.

I am going to stop posting in this thread, because Suh is not a Ram, and because there's just so much to say about the guy. But I would invite you to try to understand what it would take to be the baddest man in the NFL. Don't just dismiss it. Think about it for a second. You'd have to be a bad motherf*cker. And you don't get there doing needlepoint.

Actually - Merlin WAS a mean SOB but only on the field. You could hardly find anyone to dispute that. Rosey? Really? You're going to pick his hobby to dispute his on the field persona? He was feared. How about Jack Youngblood? Did he stomp on a defenseless QBs head? He was a true warrior and a guy you definitely had to game plan for.

You might not get ANYWHERE doing needlepoint. Do you get anywhere putting your TEAM in jeopardy? What does your nastynest bring to the TEAM. That is the real litmus test to greatness - IMO.

Without Deacon the Rams Fearsome Foursome just isn't. Without Suh.... meh. He's become as much of a liability as he is a factor. Let's face it. Suh was the building block of what could have been. And yet HE is the one holding that unit back. Fail!

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
had with self-destructive priorities:
But I would invite you to try to understand what it would take to be the baddest man in the NFL. Don't just dismiss it. Think about it for a second. You'd have to be a bad motherf*cker. And you don't get there doing needlepoint.
This stuff isn't necessary. For any reason. You become the baddest MF on the field by your performance on the field. Remember the Longest Yard with Burt Reynolds? The guards had this real bad ass and all the prisoners had to do to negate him was to piss him off. Subtract one bad ass. How many times did the other team purposely piss of Incognito to get him to commit a stupid penalty.

You don't need to be the baddest man in the NFL, you need to be the best at your position.

I think you might want to give this a little more thought had.

had

Rookie
I said I was going to stop posting in this thread, so now I'm a self-destructive liar.

Just wanted to say to both 503 and Albe -- yes, he has hurt his team with his behavior. Yes, the bad motherf'er needlepoint motif was a flop. Yes, everyone should play by the rules and not try to stomp each other in the mouth.

I think that's all pretty straightforward.

What's not so simple, for me, is taking a guy who does these things and trying to make him fit with how you think a football player should act. Can I agree that some of these things he's done look terrible on film, and that the first reaction is to say that he's a menace/should be banned/should be thrown out of the league, and then flip that over and say, hey, this is how a football player acts, don't make too much out of it.

I would say that in your opinion, I cannot play that flip side. In my opinion, I can.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
RamFan503 said:
]

Actually - Merlin WAS a mean SOB but only on the field. You could hardly find anyone to dispute that.

I remember a game he played head up on Conrad Dobler to this day, Dobler was as dirty as Suh is purported to be and St.L fans LOVED him for it. On one play Merlin gave Dobler three hard body shots trying to get to Hart.
That was a CLASSIC.

IMO Suh has some serious anger management issues ,may need some psychiatric attention,dunno.
I do KNOW this ,when you are known for things like fumbling,cheap shots etc. officials and other players get the drift.
IMO Finnegan was flagged repeatedly last week because he's acquired a reputation well publicized due to a play at the end of last years Washington game.

Suh has to know people are trying to get his goat and if he can't figure it out and keeps surrendering to his anger/emotions then he truly is ,as you say a dumbass. Certainly his coaches have told him repeatedly that he has to not let things get to him,probably since grade school or whenever he started playing.

Kids got issues ,I'm glad he's someone else's problem,if he was the player I used to think he was, he'd be the player you want to root for.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
ESPN about to do a segment on Suh's issues.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Heard from Howie Long on the Fox pregame: "If I'd been playing alongside Suh in 1985, he'd be revered."

Also made the comment, a bit tongue-in-cheek, "Suh is a strong finisher."

As we're mentioning mean SOBs from the past, you can't forget Mean Joe Greene. Which also brings up a point about the fine-tooth coverage of today's football: back in the 70's and 80's, a lot of the stuff on the interior line was not seen, and because of it, was ignored by officials. Today's football players are scrutinized to the death of their careers.