Ndamukong Suh fined $100,000, not suspended

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/10/ndamukong-suh-fined-100000-not-suspended/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... suspended/</a>
Ndamukong Suh fined $100,000, not suspended
Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh has been handed the biggest fine of his career. But Suh has avoided a suspension for his illegal low block on Vikings center John Sullivan on Sunday.

The NFL has fined Suh $100,000, a much heavier fine than players typically get for personal fouls on the field, and a fine that demonstrates that Suh’s repeat-offender status has him viewed as a marked man by the NFL’s discipline police.

Suh’s largest previous fine came last season, when his pay was docked $30,000 for kicking Texans quarterback Matt Schaub in the groin on Thanksgiving. Suh had been fined lesser amounts on other occasions for more run-of-the-mill fouls like roughing the passer and late hits.

The most money Suh ever lost for a disciplinary measure was $164,000, when he lost two weeks’ pay during a two-game suspension for stomping on Green Bay’s Evan Dietrich-Smith on Thanksgiving in 2011.

Former NFL player Merton Hanks, now the NFL’s vice president of football operations, determined the dollar amount of the fine. Suh has the opportunity to appeal the fine, and an appeal would be heard by either Ted Cottrell or Matt Birk.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
His reputation as the league's dirtiest player just keeps getting stronger.

I don't care if he suddenly lives up to his draft status. This guy is a tool.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's a good thing he called a team meeting about this stuff before the season started.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Probably lighter than a suspension I don't doubt he makes more than $1.6million a year

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
albefree69 said:
It's a good thing he called a team meeting about this stuff before the season started.
Yeah, team captain and all, changed his ways, blah, blah.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Not to be a shizzle disturber , but in the game I grew up in ,that was a legal hit , head in front definitely not a clip.
I realize the league has a rule against that NOW and it's going to be policed but just sayin' I've seen a LOT of those since 1956 when I started watching football.

I guess the leather helmets a thing of the past as well?
I kept mine hoping they'd come back like my ties did.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You wear ties? :shock:
I'm guessing bow ties. :lol:

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He and Richie Incognito are going to be the focus of recent NFL bad boys that have a thick skull for a long time. Richie currently has his insane behavior under control unless I missed something he did last weekend. Violent game played by violent individuals/modern day gladiators. Some are going to be crazy.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Thordaddy said:
Not to be a shizzle disturber , but in the game I grew up in ,that was a legal hit , head in front definitely not a clip.
I realize the league has a rule against that NOW and it's going to be policed but just sayin' I've seen a LOT of those since 1956 when I started watching football.

Yeah, good point. But he had no reason to do what he did. The guy wasn't a factor in the play any longer and Suh could have just pushed the guy with his arms. Instead, he lunges at the knees? Just dumb - classic Suh.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
CGI_Ram said:
Thordaddy said:

Yeah, good point. But he had no reason to do what he did. The guy wasn't a factor in the play any longer and Suh could have just pushed the guy with his arms. Instead, he lunges at the knees? Just dumb - classic Suh.

I think thats why the fine was stiff. He went out of his way to hit the guy in the knees when he really could have just stood there and done nothing. It was really dirty and I was expecting a time out for a game or two since he has had so many issues with this type of crap. I'm actually a little surprised Rog cut him that kinda slack because I get the vibe that Rog is not a Suh fan.

So far Suh hasn't lived up to the hype anyway.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
LesBaker said:
CGI_Ram said:
Thordaddy said:

I think thats why the fine was stiff. He went out of his way to hit the guy in the knees when he really could have just stood there and done nothing. It was really dirty and I was expecting a time out for a game or two since he has had so many issues with this type of crap. I'm actually a little surprised Rog cut him that kinda slack because I get the vibe that Rog is not a Suh fan.

So far Suh hasn't lived up to the hype anyway.
Say it ain't so. You mean there actually WILL be another DT as good as him in this generation? :shock:

BobCarl

Rookie
Thordaddy said:
.... but in the game I grew up in ,that was a legal hit

Fans today complain about Jack Tatum getting away with illegal hits ... especially the one he put on Darryl Stingley ... oh wait, Stingley was the one that lowered his helmet.

I guess in some ways we are all a bit anachronistic ... I still expect the ML to put snot-bubbling hits on running backs ... something that James Lauranitis has never done in his entire NFL career.... yet he is considered a beast. :gr:

:idk:

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Seeing how this is about going at the knees...And I agree with the fine...

But I have a question..For those of us that watched the Washington, Eagles game.

Why doesn't the NFL fine the entire O line of the Eagle for the BullShyte cut blocks they were doing last night. To me thats worse than what Suh was fined for. That Shyte was coached!

If it's legal it shouldn't be!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
EastRam said:

But I have a question..For those of us that watched the Washington, Eagles game.

Why doesn't the NFL fine the entire O line of the Eagle for the BullShyte cut blocks they were doing last night. To me thats worse than what Suh was fined for. That Shyte was coached!

Cut blocks are illegal "in the tackle box."
I don't know what that means though in relation to what you were seeing.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
X said:
EastRam said:

You didn't see the entire Eagles O line go straight to the Knees of every Washington D lineman?

If thats legal then WOW! Just WOW!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
EastRam said:
X said:
EastRam said:

You didn't see the entire Eagles O line go straight to the Knees of every Washington D lineman?

If thats legal the WOW! Just WOW!
No, I mean I didn't see the game.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
X said:
EastRam said:
X said:
EastRam said:

No, I mean I didn't see the game.

Oh man..you gotta check that out..Crazy stuff never seen that in 35 years of watching the NFL.. I truly can't believe I haven't read anything about it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Thordaddy said:

I'd agree except that is NOT the game Suh grew up in. He's been in the league for three years and has earned the watchful eye. And while you may have seen plays like it and worse, that kind of play would have received retaliation from other team mates (also frowned upon these days). If you were out of the play you didn't pull that kind of shit and not get whacked for it. He's being a punk when in the days you referred to, punks got dealt with. And if they still pulled that shit, they were feared. Think about Tatum. He got whacked several times for his antics but he was enough of a nut case to just keep going. Deacon and Dobler traded shots a few times IIRR. Now players pay a couple weeks (or less) worth of salary, there are no enforcers, and the punks keep being punks.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
EastRam said:
X said:
EastRam said:

A cut block is legal if you are going man to man, and cut him from the front side. It is illegal if you block him from the outside or backside, and illegal if the man you are blocking is being double teamed or engaged with another player.