Navorro Bowman Back By '14-15 Start

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I read somewhere earlier today that they have to wait for the MCL to heal before they can do the ACL surgery ,if true I think the assertion he'll be back has a lot of caveats

OBILE, ALA. • Quarterback Sam Bradford will soon have some company in the trainer’s room at Rams Park. Offensive tackle Jake Long underwent surgery recently to repair a knee injury he suffered in the Rams’ second-to-last game of the regular season — the team’s 23-13 home victory over Tampa Bay on Dec. 22.

On the Rams’ third offensive play of that game, Long’s right knee buckled while pass-blocking and tests later revealed that Long had a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) as well as a torn medial collateral ligament (MCL).

MCL injuries heal on their own and don’t require surgery, but that meant surgery on Long’s ACL was delayed until the MCL healed. At the time of the injury, coach Jeff Fisher estimated that it could be four to six weeks before surgery because of the MCL injury. It turned out to be on the quicker end of that timetable — about four weeks — which should help Long’s efforts to be ready in time for the start of the regular season.

I knew I'd read about that somewhere,I think Bowman may have rough time making it back to from in time for the season

Alan

Legend
Thanks for the info Thordaddy!

Although I'm still at a total loss as to how something that is torn can heal by itself.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/nutrition_center/exercise_safety/mcl_injuries.html
So I looked it up:
About Knee Injuries
Knee injuries are common among active kids, especially athletes, and a torn medial collateral ligament (MCL) — a ligament that helps give the knee its stability — is a common type of knee injury.

Kids who play contact sports, like football and soccer, are most likely to have a torn MCL. The injury happens when the outside of the knee is struck, causing it to unnaturally bend inward (toward the other knee). This creates tension on the MCL, a rope-like band, and it stretches or breaks in half.

Children with a partially or completely torn MCL might have swelling and pain within the first 24 hours of injury. Fortunately, this injury can heal on its own with anywhere from 1 to 6 weeks of resting the joint.

Most kids will still need to undergo rehabilitation ("rehab") therapy to help regain strength in the joint.

What an MCL Does
The MCL is one of the four main ligaments in the knee joint. It is located on the side of the knee that is closer to the other knee. One end of the ligament is attached to the femur, while the other end is attached to the tibia.

Together with the lateral collateral ligament (LCL), which is in the same location on the outside of the knee, the MCL helps prevent the overextension of the knee joint from side-to-side.

1013_image.jpg

Signs and Symptoms
A child with a partially or completely torn MCL may or may not have symptoms, depending on the severity of the injury.

Pain and swelling can be very intense initially, and some kids (with more severe injuries) will have some instability when walking, feeling "wobbly" or unable to bear weight on the affected leg.

Many kids, especially those who are familiar with the injury or have torn a ligament before, report hearing a "pop"sound — the sound of the ligament tearing.

A child who has injured a knee — whether out on the field or at home — should stop all activity (to prevent further injury) and seek immediate medical care. In the meantime, keep the area iced — place the ice in a plastic bag, wrap the bag in a cloth, and hold it to the knee for up to 20 minutes at a time. Also, keep the knee elevated as much as possible to reduce swelling. Do not let your child bear weight on the knee.