National Media Downplays Rams/McVay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Why has everyone lost faith in LA Rams HC Sean McVay?

LA Rams head coach Sean McVay roared into NFL prominence from the moment he took over the team. 11 wins followed by 13 wins and a Super Bowl berth (In that contest, the Rams were just two Brandin Cooks drops away from winning it), and a 9 win season. It seems that everyone lost faith in the boy genius. Most people are picking the Rams to come in 3rd place in the NFC West and some are even saying the Rams will be in the LAST place of the NFC West. Is that logical or just trolling the guy who has never had a losing NFL season?

It’s unbelievable to think so. The Rams lost two very close games in 2019, one lost by a San Francisco quarterback Jimmy Garapollo heave. The other by a Rams Greg Zuerlein missed field goal in Seattle. Just one win away from making the playoffs. Perhaps those two wins from a completely different 2020 offseason. The Rams did lose WR Brandin Cooks, RB Todd Gurley, ILB Cory Littleton, OLB Dante Fowler, and a few others in the off-season. But all teams endure roster changes. The Rams may be stronger on defense, and more innovative on offense this season.

No magic, or no faith?

People think the magic has vanished for the Rams and Sean McVay. Quarterback Jared Goff appeared to regress in 2019. Star running back Todd Gurley had an arthritic knee and was released. The team suffered abundant injuries in 2019 and several coaching changes in the offseason. Many things went wrong for the Rams last year. But why are people so quick to jump off the bandwagon?

The Rams made some coaching changes in the off-season by adding Kevin O’Connell as the new offensive coordinator and Brandon Staley as the defensive coordinator. The Rams also lost Special Teams Coordinator John Fassel (who I miss, but whose production on ST was dropping rapidly) and replaced him with a good one in John Bonamego. This means that Sean McVay will step back a bit and have a better feel for the team. He’ll have less pressure with the offensive workload. With one more year he’ll have under his belt, he’ll improve even more this year.

Burning the midnight oil

Although he did recently admit that he’s worried about burning out which should scare us. But it would also light a fire under him for the team to improve. The Rams drafted some talented players like RB Cam Akers and DB Terrell Burgess. Some players will come back from injuries like John Johnson III and Joseph Noteboom. The Rams added NT A’Shawn Robinson and OLB Leonard Floyd in free agency.

The Rams have won more than 9 games in the last 3 seasons. THEY HAVE AVERAGED 11 WINS A SEASON SINCE 2017. Everyone relax and let’s take a chill pill. Let’s have this discussion next year if the Rams absolutely stink next season. Is nine wins truly a “sky is falling” scenario, or are recent headlines merely trying scare tactics this year?

Oh, by the way, the Rams have All-Pro DB Jalen Ramsey and All-Pro DL Aaron Donald. Those guys are pretty good. And two 1000 yard receivers in Cooper Kupp and Robert Woods. Those are two incredible players both on offense and defense. We’re better than eight wins folks. Much better.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
In a normal season, the Rams are poised to surprise teams, IMO.

This year, seriously... probably THE YEAR to make a long shot Vegas wager on a SB winner.

Pick one.

Any long shot team within reasonable range, IMO. Like the Rams.

Injuries are what make these projections difficult... CoVID is a 3 week injury, minimum, it sounds like? How will that impact things, minor? Major?

Sounds like wager opportunity!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I get it, it was the Rams in 2018 & the 49ers in 2019, so we will see what this horrific 2020 brings I like the changes McVay made on the staff, everyone IMO, was an upgrade. I also like McVay went after his type of RB in round two. I believe surround yourself with your type of players and I believe with the first two picks McVay did that.

All of us wonder about the Offensive Line, is Whitworth too long in the tooth? Will others like Corbett & Edwards prove they are NFL Caliber Guards IMO on offense barring injuries everything hinges on the offensive line play, if they play well I believe the offense & Sean McVay will be just fine adding OC Kevin O'Connell should aid as well.

Ram65

Legend
The Rams may be stronger on defense, and more innovative on offense this season.

It should be the Rams will be stronger on defense and more innovative on offense. At least the original statement was positive.

The Rams made some coaching changes in the off-season by adding Kevin O’Connell as the new offensive coordinator and Brandon Staley as the defensive coordinator. The Rams also lost Special Teams Coordinator John Fassel (who I miss, but whose production on ST was dropping rapidly) and replaced him with a good one in John Bonamego. This means that Sean McVay will step back a bit and have a better feel for the team. He’ll have less pressure with the offensive workload. With one more year he’ll have under his belt, he’ll improve even more this year.

The Rams special teams have been fading. Look for improvement all around.

The Rams offense may have become a little predictable. A little change-up in the routes should help. Also, drafting Akers to help get the running game back on track will be a big improvement in the overall offense. I like Jefferson getting open early for hot reads. McVay having Staley to collaborate with will be a big help in tweaking the offense. Having O'Connell work with Goff may be the biggest move that will enable McVay to focus on play calling.

I'm excited about Staley and the defense. Back to basics to stop the run game. Wade left the middle of the line wide-open with the alignment too wide leaving the A Gaps exposed on 2nd/3rd down situations. Poor communication on the back was also a very big problem. Rams have a nice mix of veterans and young talent to improve the defense. Lot's of players needing to show they can perform for PT and money. I expect a much tighter defense even with limited practice.

The media is always quick to jump on the next big things like the Whiners and Chiefs while trying to predict the future biggest thing like the unproven Cardinals. They should underestimate him and the Rams. McVay will have the Rams in the hunt again this year.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
National Media Downplays Rams/McVay

1595177064125.png

dang

Legend
The Rams have a lot of new starters on defense. It will likely take 3-4 games for them to settle in but once they do we could have a top 5 defense. I think they are set up nicely on offense barring a rash of injuries on the OL like last year. I also have to believe that McVay will prepare his team as good as any coach navigating the Covid-19 hurdles. I could see the Rams tested early with their schedule but hitting their stride after week 6 @SF. I see a 11-5 season in store for the Rams.

oldnotdead

Legend
The only ones who have lost faith are the fickle media. I don't see any fans losing faith so this article is baseless and simply on the level of the Goff sucks stuff. When they win they will say "we knew it all along" . They take the record as proof without putting it into context. This team had a horrific set of injuries early on and struggled. But McVay adapted and this team still finished with a winning record and except for a missed FG at a very makeable distance, this team would have made the playoffs. So the narrative is all the same BS. First it's Goff in decline when even the stats show he isn't. Now it's the HC who is in decline when the season pointed to exactly the opposite. McVay adapted and held this team together. How a HC responds to adversity is the measuring stick for how good he is or isn't. Last year might have been his best year as an HC.

Isn't this the same stir the pot know nothing bunch that put out the Goff sucks? They obviously have an Anti-Ram agenda, despite what their name is. More fake news from a fake source.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd be surprised if this wasn't going on. The OL made him look pedestrian last year, and he was also responsible for the lack of quality in gameplanning (which the hire of an OC will hopefully rectify). No league is as brutal as the NFL is terms of eating their own the moment they slip in their play, and that goes for the coaches too those guys get way too much blame and way too much credit at times IMO.

Worst thing here is if the OL is bad again it's gonna get much, much worse. And Demoff and company will be influenced by the media noise. This is why some of us keep saying Snead is playing with other jobs than his own by standing pat on that OL.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I get it, it was the Rams in 2018 & the 49ers in 2019, so we will see what this horrific 2020 brings I like the changes McVay made on the staff, everyone IMO, was an upgrade. I also like McVay went after his type of RB in round two. I believe surround yourself with your type of players and I believe with the first two picks McVay did that.

All of us wonder about the Offensive Line, is Whitworth too long in the tooth? Will others like Corbett & Edwards prove they are NFL Caliber Guards IMO on offense barring injuries everything hinges on the offensive line play, if they play well I believe the offense & Sean McVay will be just fine adding OC Kevin O'Connell should aid as well.

I actually am expecting a better year from Whitworth who had an ankle problem last year that ultimately required surgery. Covid or not. Ok, I admit to being optimistic but let's see how he does. And I know the Rams were desperate but I think they still have a high level of confidence in Whit to resign him to a multiyear contract (however unlikely it may be that he plays it out fully.)

MachS

Hall of Fame
I actually am expecting a better year from Whitworth who had an ankle problem last year that ultimately required surgery. Covid or not. Ok, I admit to being optimistic but let's see how he does. And I know the Rams were desperate but I think they still have a high level of confidence in Whit to resign him to a multiyear contract (however unlikely it may be that he plays it out fully.)

We all hope Whitworth improves from last year. But how much of his 2017 and 2018 performance came from having a borderline pro-bowl guard next to him in Saffold, and an ex-pro bowl veteran center in Sullivan making line calls? Now we have Blythe/Goff making the protection calls at the line, as well as a question mark starting next to Whitworth at guard now. Add to that he turns 39 years old in December.

I'm worried about Whitworth LESS than every other starter on our OL... that should indicate what kind of shape the OL is in and why it was ludicrous to enter the season adding no new talent. The entire season comes down to the OL.. not defense...not special teams..not pass catchers.. It's how the running game and Goff play this year and that all depends on the OL. :hope:

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
We all hope Whitworth improves from last year. But how much of his 2017 and 2018 performance came from having a borderline pro-bowl guard next to him in Saffold, and an ex-pro bowl veteran center in Sullivan making line calls? Now we have Blythe/Goff making the protection calls at the line, as well as a question mark starting next to Whitworth at guard now. Add to that he turns 39 years old in December.

I'm worried about Whitworth LESS than every other starter on our OL... that should indicate what kind of shape the OL is in and why it was ludicrous to enter the season adding no new talent. The entire season comes down to the OL.. not defense...not special teams..not pass catchers.. It's how the running game and Goff play this year and that all depends on the OL. :hope:
I agree with you on the importance of the line, but the statement about how good was Whit because of the players he lined up next to in 17 and 18 goes both ways. How he played last season most definitely was affected by the people he lined up next to last year as well.
I would also say that Saffold wasn't boarder line all pro in 2016 so Whit and Sullivan probably made him better also.