Nathaniel Hackett had interview yesterday to be OC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Ravens still fired Cameron during the season promoted Jim Caldwell and won the Super Bowl and John Harbaugh gave much of the credit to Caldwell. Not a ringing endorsement for Cameron.

Did a good job in San Diego which led him to getting the Dolphins gig albeit for one year going 1-15. Struggled in Baltimore and went back to college to reinvent himself.
Well, in 2000 Jim Fassel basically fired Asshole Face and took over the play calling as the Giants went on a run and got to the Superbowl. I'd say it probably wasnt indicative of the OC that Asshole Face was...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, in 2000 Jim Fassel basically fired Asshole Face and took over the play calling as the Giants went on a run and got to the Superbowl. I'd say it probably wasnt indicative of the OC that Asshole Face was...

He didn't fire Asshole Face, he took over the play calling similar to what Scott Linehan did to Greg Olson with the Rams in 2007. Cameron was fired after he had a couple of years and after they replaced Cameron they won a Super Bowl.

Very different IMO and it's the reason the Cameron went to college because he knew the opportunities and the NFL level would not be there as an OC.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He didn't fire Asshole Face, he took over the play calling similar to what Scott Linehan did to Greg Olson with the Rams in 2007. Cameron was fired after he had a couple of years and after they replaced Cameron they won a Super Bowl.

Very different IMO and it's the reason the Cameron went to college because he knew the opportunities and the NFL level would not be there as an OC.
It's really not different at all. Fassell did worse than fire him. He publicly took over the reigns. Said they were going all in. And Payton toiled on the sidelines. He had no responsibility. It was terrible.
Made him look like a total stooge.
The only difference is that Baltimore had the class to let Cameron go. Karma is a beyotch though and that kind of lack of class is why Fassell can't get a job today

lockdnram21

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I knew we interviewed him once. I just find it odd we have interviewed him twice and nobody else has been interviewed once.
Who else were we going to interview? Everybody else went to where the offense is pretty much set. With really not having a qb is hurting us

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It's really not different at all. Fassell did worse than fire him. He publicly took over the reigns. Said they were going all in. And Payton toiled on the sidelines. He had no responsibility. It was terrible.
Made him look like a total stooge.
The only difference is that Baltimore had the class to let Cameron go. Karma is a beyotch though and that kind of lack of class is why Fassell can't get a job today

True, but that was Payton's first opportunity to call plays, it really doesn't matter. Payton went on from that to be an Assistant HC/QB Coach in Dallas that is what Cameron would've had to do at the NFL level, but decided to take a gig at the collegiate level instead.

I'm not trying to communicate that Cameron would not be a good OC just stating that the last opportunity he had to be an OC at the NFL level not only was he fired, but after they fired him they won the Super Bowl and the Head Coach John Harbaugh stated that move was one of the reasons why they won. That's far more harsh than Payton IMO.

FRO

Legend
Who else were we going to interview? Everybody else went to where the offense is pretty much set. With really not having a qb is hurting us
Buffalo and Cleveland had no trouble finding coordinators and their QB situations are worse than ours.

lockdnram21

Legend
Buffalo and Cleveland had no trouble finding coordinators and their QB situations are worse than ours.
I wouldn't say Buffalo. I'm not saying he will work out but I wouldn't say door closed on him. Also who are there coordinators? There not anyone's we wanted I don't think.

FRO

Legend
I wouldn't say Buffalo. I'm not saying he will work out but I wouldn't say door closed on him. Also who are there coordinators? There not anyone's we wanted I don't think.
We wanted Buffalo's guy Roman.

lockdnram21

Legend
But think about it this way he did good in College with Ryan N .His 2 years in the nfl his QBs have been Jeff tuel, EJ manuel, thaddeus Lewis, Kyle Orton. I Think he deserves a chance with a good qb.

FRO

Legend
Oh he either is Rex friend or he feel he can Help EJ.
Must be the first. He couldn't fix Kaepernick who is a more talented version of EJ. EJ seems like a better dude and not a douche though.

The QB situation is an issue, but there are others.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
And we're supposed to take some random dude's comment on PFT seriously?

Agreed on that...How the hell does this clown know what he'll "set out to destroy"...Sounds like a personal dislike more than a legitimate critique to me...

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike

i know a few bills fans and man if you think rams fans hated schotty you don't know what hate is when compared to what bills fans think of hackett.

The Bills' fans thought O.J. was innocent...That's a point in Hackett's favor..

FRO

Legend
Agreed on that...How the hell does this clown know what he'll "set out to destroy"...Sounds like a personal dislike more than a legitimate critique to me...
Normally coaches pick a certain player or position group and set out to destroy them. Only makes sense he would pick Mason.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Fred Jackson says Nate Hackett 'couldn't do what he wanted'
January, 5, 2015
Jan 5
12:30
PM ET
By Mike Rodak | ESPN.com
In Doug Marrone's two seasons as head coach, the Buffalo Bills' offense averaged 4.92 yards per play, the third-worst mark in the league.

It's fair for offensive coordinator Nate Hackett to shoulder some of the blame for those struggles, but running back Fred Jackson believes Hackett was being held back from doing more with the offense.

[+] Enlarge

"I love Nate. I loved what he brought to the table," Jackson said during his weekly appearance on WGR 550 in Buffalo. "He was a guy that, just anybody else on the team was under fire with the lack of performance that we had as an offensive unit.

"But I could definitely see him not getting to do some of the things he wanted to. I had some conversations with him and it wasn't always, at times, what he wanted to get done."

That's a not-so-subtle shot at coach Doug Marrone, whose sudden departure last week left Jackson feeling like he had been "punched in the stomach."

When Marrone and Hackett took control of the Bills' offense in 2013, their offense was built around speed. The Bills averaged 24.7 seconds of possession per play, the second-fastest rate in the NFL.

But a variety of factors -- especially their quarterback situation -- rendered the offense that season largely inefficient. The Bills ended 39.3 percent of their drives without a first down or touchdown, the seventh-highest rate in the league.

The Bills slowed down the pace this season, averaging 28.0 seconds of possession per play (14th in the NFL), and took a more conservative approach, averaging 7.1 air yards per pass attempt (second-fewest in the NFL).

Hackett wanted to be more aggressive, according to Jackson.

"He was an aggressive guy and has always been since I've known him," Jackson said. "When some of the things that were called that didn't kind of fit his mold, that is what it is. He couldn't do what he wanted to.

"Knowing Nate, Nate is a guy that likes to go big or go home. Some of the stuff that he wanted to call, didn't get called in a game, and I don't know if that was always his call."

Hackett remains under contract with the Bills, but his future with the team is up in the air as they search for a new head coach.

"I hope the best for him," Jackson said. "He's a great coach, a guy that I loved playing for. A lot of guys loved playing for him. We'll see what happens and how everything plays out."

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Fred Jackson says Nate Hackett 'couldn't do what he wanted'
January, 5, 2015
Jan 5
12:30
PM ET
By Mike Rodak | ESPN.com
In Doug Marrone's two seasons as head coach, the Buffalo Bills' offense averaged 4.92 yards per play, the third-worst mark in the league.

It's fair for offensive coordinator Nate Hackett to shoulder some of the blame for those struggles, but running back Fred Jackson believes Hackett was being held back from doing more with the offense.

[+] Enlarge

"I love Nate. I loved what he brought to the table," Jackson said during his weekly appearance on WGR 550 in Buffalo. "He was a guy that, just anybody else on the team was under fire with the lack of performance that we had as an offensive unit.

"But I could definitely see him not getting to do some of the things he wanted to. I had some conversations with him and it wasn't always, at times, what he wanted to get done."

That's a not-so-subtle shot at coach Doug Marrone, whose sudden departure last week left Jackson feeling like he had been "punched in the stomach."

When Marrone and Hackett took control of the Bills' offense in 2013, their offense was built around speed. The Bills averaged 24.7 seconds of possession per play, the second-fastest rate in the NFL.

But a variety of factors -- especially their quarterback situation -- rendered the offense that season largely inefficient. The Bills ended 39.3 percent of their drives without a first down or touchdown, the seventh-highest rate in the league.

The Bills slowed down the pace this season, averaging 28.0 seconds of possession per play (14th in the NFL), and took a more conservative approach, averaging 7.1 air yards per pass attempt (second-fewest in the NFL).

Hackett wanted to be more aggressive, according to Jackson.

"He was an aggressive guy and has always been since I've known him," Jackson said. "When some of the things that were called that didn't kind of fit his mold, that is what it is. He couldn't do what he wanted to.

"Knowing Nate, Nate is a guy that likes to go big or go home. Some of the stuff that he wanted to call, didn't get called in a game, and I don't know if that was always his call."

Hackett remains under contract with the Bills, but his future with the team is up in the air as they search for a new head coach.

"I hope the best for him," Jackson said. "He's a great coach, a guy that I loved playing for. A lot of guys loved playing for him. We'll see what happens and how everything plays out."

Interesting. Wonder if Hackett would run the hurry up here, since Fisher doesn't seem to like it. That's when Bradford's been the most effective imo.