Nathaniel Hackett had interview yesterday to be OC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i know a few bills fans and man if you think rams fans hated schotty you don't know what hate is when compared to what bills fans think of hackett.

manmaderam

The one and only
Why not go after Cam Cameron? He did decent when he was with San Diego and the Ravens.

*Note: He is a decent OC not a HC lol

Last edited:

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
Cameron is an interesting suggestion. He was fired in week 14 of 2012, and then the Ravens' offense caught fire on the way to winning a Super Bowl. How much of that turn around was because his replacement, Jim Caldwell, did a better job? Caldwell did a pretty good job with the Lions this year, so maybe Cameron was an unfair scapegoat?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i know a few bills fans and man if you think rams fans hated schotty you don't know what hate is when compared to what bills fans think of hackett.

I suspect that is the case for all but a handful of fans of teams.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
http://billsmafia.com/2014/10/27/bu...ackett-isnt-blame-teams-inconsistent-offense/

Through the first eight games of the Buffalo Bills 2014 season, offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett has emerged as the whipping boy of fans looking to place blame for the team’s inconsistent offense. From vague spews of rage regarding play-calling to play-design, whenever things don’t go Buffalo’s way, Nathaniel Hackett has somehow been at fault in the minds of fans.

Now, this column isn’t intended to pin Hackett as some outstanding coordinator that’s getting the shaft from fans, because that’s not the case. But, I do think that the second-year coordinator deserves quite a bit more credit than he’s received, specifically for the passing game that he’s installed.

Heading into this season, the Bills made it clear that they wanted to be a run-first team, in order to ease the development of EJ Manuel, who was entering his second year in the NFL. The team added Chris Williams and Anthony Dixon in free agency, while trading for Bryce Brown and selecting Cyrus Kouandjio, Cyril Richardson and Seantrel Henderson in the 2014 NFL Draft.

It didn’t take long to realize that Manuel would be unable to take a step forward in his development behind a young, inexperienced and ineffective offensive line, so the team went to Kyle Orton after the Houston Texans loss.

Orton is a veteran quarterback that can read coverages and get the ball out quickly with a collapsing pocket. While the lack of production from the rushing attack has been an issue, the guard play seems to be more at fault than when the plays have been called. What Hackett does have control over is play-design and when to call those plays. When the offensive line has held up, Hackett’s design in the passing game has almost always gotten a receiver open, particularly in the middle of the field.

More at the link .....

manmaderam

The one and only
Cameron is an interesting suggestion. He was fired in week 14 of 2012, and then the Ravens' offense caught fire on the way to winning a Super Bowl. How much of that turn around was because his replacement, Jim Caldwell, did a better job? Caldwell did a pretty good job with the Lions this year, so maybe Cameron was an unfair scapegoat?

I don't think it would take much to pry him from LSU. He seemed to get them points which is what our offense needs. The Defense will take care of the rest lol

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Chud is still my first choice if the Rams can wait that long to then reel him in. After that, I think Boras would be a much better choice than Hackett. Boras knows the players and knows the old system so the transition would be much easier that just starting from scratch with someone like Hackett.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Why not go after Cam Cameron? He did decent when he was with San Diego and the Ravens.

The Ravens fired Cam Cameron! So I guess it comes down to what your definition of the word decent, is?

manmaderam

The one and only
The Ravens fired Cam Cameron! So I guess it comes down to what your definition of the word decent, is?
He is known for having a lot of winning teams with him as coordinator. He was like Martz, a great coordinator just a terrible head coach. Here's a snipet a got from Wiki.

"With his teams securing a better than .600 winning percentage with him as offensive coordinator (100-57 regular season record in 10 seasons with San Diego and Baltimore), he is one of the winningest coordinators in NFL history. His record as a head coach, on the other hand, is 1-15.". Wikipedia

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
He is known for having a lot of winning teams with him as coordinator. He was like Martz, a great coordinator just a terrible head coach. Here's a snipet a got from Wiki.

"With his teams securing a better than .600 winning percentage with him as offensive coordinator (100-57 regular season record in 10 seasons with San Diego and Baltimore), he is one of the winningest coordinators in NFL history. His record as a head coach, on the other hand, is 1-15.". Wikipedia

The Ravens still fired Cameron during the season promoted Jim Caldwell and won the Super Bowl and John Harbaugh gave much of the credit to Caldwell. Not a ringing endorsement for Cameron.

Did a good job in San Diego which led him to getting the Dolphins gig albeit for one year going 1-15. Struggled in Baltimore and went back to college to reinvent himself.

manmaderam

The one and only
They did still give him a Super Bowl Ring at the end of that season. The reason was because Harbaugh credited a lot of success to Cameron. Some Ravens fans also thought Cameron was used as a scapegoat for Flacco's performance at the time.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Chud is still my first choice if the Rams can wait that long to then reel him in. After that, I think Boras would be a much better choice than Hackett. Boras knows the players and knows the old system so the transition would be much easier that just starting from scratch with someone like Hackett.
Even though the old system stunk?
Hacket HAS coordinated offense at d1 and NFL level. Boras?

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Even though the old system stunk?
Hacket HAS coordinated offense at d1 and NFL level. Boras?

I do not think the old system stunk but again no one is going to call Shotty an innovate offensive genius either. He was stable but somewhat predictable. I do tend to cut Shotty some slack because he was working with very young guys at the skill positions and a below average offensive line for most of his time with the Rams as well as backup caliber QB's for half his tenure here.

My concern with someone like Hackett is that he will bring in a completely new system and so the transition could get bumpy (think McDaniels). IMO with Boras and even Chud, the transition period should be smoother. At some point everyone is a first time OC so that actually does not bother me as much but you bring up a valid point. Martz was a first time OC but he had experienced assistants (much like our current Rams) and that helps a lot as well. Ultimately if Hackett is the man Fisher hires then I am OK with it.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do not think the old system stunk but again no one is going to call Shotty an innovate offensive genius either. He was stable but somewhat predictable. I do tend to cut Shotty some slack because he was working with very young guys at the skill positions and a below average offensive line for most of his time with the Rams as well as backup caliber QB's for half his tenure here.

My concern with someone like Hackett is that he will bring in a completely new system and so the transition could get bumpy (think McDaniels). IMO with Boras and even Chud, the transition period should be smoother. At some point everyone is a first time OC so that actually does not bother me as much but you bring up a valid point. Martz was a first time OC but he had experienced assistants (much like our current Rams) and that helps a lot as well. Ultimately if Hackett is the man Fisher hires then I am OK with it.
Ok, fair enough. Stunk may not be fair but we arent talking about anything special.
IMO, being the HC is the same, I cant imagine a situation where the offensive output is any WORSE than its been the last 3 years. So IMO I think there's a much higher ceiling with a guy like Hackett than by going internal. Now had Boras had some sort of resume I might feel different. But at this point, the expectation is a Boras version of Shotty offense. I wouldnt be thrilled by that

As for the (think McDaniels) comment, I am completely convinced that had McD had a full TC and pre-season to work his system, the results would have been entirely different. So unless there is a budding lock out, I'll never be wary of implementing a new system, especially wont use that as an example of why to be concerned

I like Hackett, I like that he's not entrenched in any one system. I think he'd be great.
Still holding out hope for Chud, but Hackett is firmly my plan B at the moment