My Top 5 Offensive Players Per Position

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Playmaker

Grading Scale
100-90 First Round
89-80 Second Round
79-70 Third Round
69-60 Fourth Round
59-50 Fifth Round
49-40 Sixth Round
39-30 Seventh Round
29-0 UDFA

QB Group D+
#1. Ryan Nassib (Syracuse) 83
#2. Matt Barkley (USC) 81
#3. E.J. Manuel (Florida State) 78
#4. Mike Glennon (NC State) 72
#5. Geno Smith (West Virginia) 69

RB Group C
#1. Christine Michael (Texas A&M) 88
#2. Johnathan Franklin (UCLA) 85
#3. Montee Ball (Wisconsin) 80
#4. Eddie Lacy (Alabama) 76
#5. Knile Davis (Arkansas) 75

WR Group C+
#1. Terrance Williams (Baylor) 86
#2. Markus Wheaton (Oregon State) 84
#3t. DeAndre Hopkins (Clemson) 81
#3t. Quinton Patton (La Tech) 81
#5. Robert Woods (USC) 80

TE Group B-
#1. Tyler Eifert (Notre Dame) 92
#2. Travis Kelce (Cincinnati) 87
#3. Zach Ertz (Stanford) 85
#4. Vance McDonald (Rice) 78
#5. Gavin Escobar (San Diego State) 77

OT Group A
#1. Eric Fisher (Central Michigan) 95
#2. Luke Joeckel (Texas A&M) 94
#3. D.J. Fluker (Alabama) 92
#4t. Menelik Watson (Florida State) 91
#4t. Terron Armstead (Arkansas P.B.) 91

OG/C Group A-
#1. Jonathan Cooper (North Carolina) 94
#2. Chance Warmack (Alabama) 92
#3. Brian Winters (Kent State) 87
#4. Travis Frederick (Wisconsin) 84
#5. Larry Warford (Kentucky) 83

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Where are Patterson Austin Bailey or hunter I dont belive they graded lower then those 5 on the post

duckhunter

Starter
I seem to recall you doing this in the past.

Only 8 offensive players with 1st round grades.
12 with 2nd round grades. Maybe a few more OTs make 2nd.

Care to expound on your system/method.

Kind of surprised Lane Johnson doesn't get a 1st round grade.

Thanks in advance.

Playmaker

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
duckhunter said:
I seem to recall you doing this in the past.

Only 8 offensive players with 1st round grades.
12 with 2nd round grades. Maybe a few more OTs make 2nd.

Care to expound on your system/method.

Kind of surprised Lane Johnson doesn't get a 1st round grade.

Thanks in advance.

I gave Patterson and Austin 3rd round grades. Austin is too short, too little, and has short arms and a bad vertical for a short guy. Patterson has work ethic issues, character flaws, and quite frankly had one year in FBS with limited production as a WR in which over 20% of his season totals came in one game against Troy. Mike Wallace was a 3rd round pick. I'd say Patterson compares to Wallace's skill set and what he will bring a team. And like Wallace, it'll take Patterson a full year to learn the pro game. Therefore 3rd round pick.

I don't think there is that much of a difference in who will go #5 and number 65 in this years draft. Not great talent, a lot of good solid talent. Very Defensive driven draft. I have around 20 Defensive players with first or second round picks.

Lane Johnson is Jason Smith part II. Converted TE, all the same things being attributed to Johnson that was Smith. Nasty, athletic, etc.... Bottom line is his play reminds me of Eagles 2011 First Round Pick OG Danny Watkins from Baylor. Very athletic Big XII O-Linemen who never could hang in the NFL.

System and method comes from years as a Coach and Scout for a variety of High School and College programs. As well as having friends in "high places" that give me information that the average joe fan doesn't get. I am not a fan that will say "the Rams need a WR so bad that they HAVE to take one in the first round"

That is the same mentality that led the Rams to drafting Adam Carriker in 2007 instead of the Best Player Available which was CB Darrelle Revis. Or in 2010 when they took Bradford when there was many more better players in that draft. Take the BPA and you will not go wrong. And if it is a tie between a Offensive or Defensive Linemen or a RB, WR, or TE, always take the lineman. You can never have too many

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Interesting read, and nice to see it's not been swayed by media attention too :) I'm also happy to see the mock draft I picked is on par with these :p

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Do me a favor. Post your ratings from the past couple drafts, because I'd like to see the history of you doing this. Please.

I don't agree with a lot of this, and I don't want to pick it apart, but I will say one thing... You must not have seen Lane Johnson play, because there is no way in hell that anybody can compare him to Jason Smith if you watched both of them play in college. I only make this one point, because he is by far the best player that you dissed.

I do agree with some of your ranks.

Playmaker

If the majority of fans were in charge of drafting for their favorite teams, the NFL Draft would look more like a Fantasy Football Draft. Probably 90% of the first 2 rounds would be nothing bu QB, RB, WR, and TE. That's because we have a media group that seems to think that because the skill positions touch the ball, they are the most marketable and the most important. And it has trickled down to a lot of fans with the assistance of the Madden Video Game series and Fantasy Football.

I am not like that. I know what it takes to win in the real NFL. Green Bay has one of the best passing games in the NFL. But did you know over their current run from 2009-2012, they did so without a single first round RB, WR, or TE? The New England Patriots have not spent a first round pick on a WR since 1996 when they took Terry Glenn. The Patriots have maintained one of the top offenses in football despite not spending a first round on a WR in almost 20 years. The Saints have a top passing game and start a 7th round pick, a 2nd round pick, and a 3rd round pick at WR and TE. The Baltimore Ravens are a consistent playoff team and now Super Bowl winner. This despite not having a first round pick at RB, WR, or TE on their roster.

Fans over rate WR's because the media get's aroused by their antics and stats. But even the top WR's in the NFL only average around 6 catches a game. That means they touch the ball less than a back-up RB does in any given game. Where as an Offensive Lineman impacts every single play.

The notion that the offensive line is fixed is laughable. Jake Long sures up the Left Tackle position. And tha is it. Rodger Saffold has not played ORT in years. Plus he's missed 40% of the Rams games in the past 2 seasons. Harvey Dahl enters the last year of his deal, is old, and is coming off a late season major injury. Scott Wells hasn't been healthy for 2 years and has a degenerative arthritic knee. And OLG is an open competition. Where as at WR there is one of the best big play WR's in the NFL in 2012 (Chris Givens) The #33 overall pick in the 2012 Draft (Brian Quick) and Jared Cook who is getting 6 million a year.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Playmaker said:
If the majority of fans were in charge of drafting for their favorite teams, the NFL Draft would look more like a Fantasy Football Draft. Probably 90% of the first 2 rounds would be nothing bu QB, RB, WR, and TE. That's because we have a media group that seems to think that because the skill positions touch the ball, they are the most marketable and the most important. And it has trickled down to a lot of fans with the assistance of the Madden Video Game series and Fantasy Football.

I am not like that. I know what it takes to win in the real NFL. Green Bay has one of the best passing games in the NFL. But did you know over their current run from 2009-2012, they did so without a single first round RB, WR, or TE? The New England Patriots have not spent a first round pick on a WR since 1996 when they took Terry Glenn. The Patriots have maintained one of the top offenses in football despite not spending a first round on a WR in almost 20 years. The Saints have a top passing game and start a 7th round pick, a 2nd round pick, and a 3rd round pick at WR and TE. The Baltimore Ravens are a consistent playoff team and now Super Bowl winner. This despite not having a first round pick at RB, WR, or TE on their roster.

Fans over rate WR's because the media get's aroused by their antics and stats. But even the top WR's in the NFL only average around 6 catches a game. That means they touch the ball less than a back-up RB does in any given game. Where as an Offensive Lineman impacts every single play.

The notion that the offensive line is fixed is laughable. Jake Long sures up the Left Tackle position. And tha is it. Rodger Saffold has not played ORT in years. Plus he's missed 40% of the Rams games in the past 2 seasons. Harvey Dahl enters the last year of his deal, is old, and is coming off a late season major injury. Scott Wells hasn't been healthy for 2 years and has a degenerative arthritic knee. And OLG is an open competition. Where as at WR there is one of the best big play WR's in the NFL in 2012 (Chris Givens) The #33 overall pick in the 2012 Draft (Brian Quick) and Jared Cook who is getting 6 million a year.

Umm OK. Your just cherry picking. I can pick cherries too. Atlanta, New York Giants, Pittsburgh...all have a combo of 1st round WRs/TEs/QBs. Playoff teams. What about that team in Indy. Remember Peyton Manning, Edgerrin James, Marvin Harrison? Hey didn't the Rams have some guy named Torry Holt...#6 pick...yeah, he sure helped.

There's a lot more factors that go into winning a SB...IDK why you don't see that.

Playmaker

Angry Ram said:
Umm OK. Your just cherry picking. I can pick cherries too. Atlanta, New York Giants, Pittsburgh...all have a combo of 1st round WRs/TEs/QBs. Playoff teams. What about that team in Indy. Remember Peyton Manning, Edgerrin James, Marvin Harrison? Hey didn't the Rams have some guy named Torry Holt...#6 pick...yeah, he sure helped.

There's a lot more factors that go into winning a SB...IDK why you don't see that.

Angry Ram, the fact, I repeat F-A-C-T is there is a long, decade long mind you, trend going on.

Peyton Manning's 2006 Indianapolis Colts are the only Super Bowl winner in the last 12 seasons that had a first round pick at RB. And it wasn't Edgerrin James. He was already with the Arizona Cardinals. Every other Super Bowl Champion since 2001 started a RB in which they did not draft that RB in the first round.

Atlanta hasn't won a Super Bowl. So that logic is flawed.

Here is NY Giants two Super Bowl winning skill position (non QB) starters.

RB Brandon Jacobs (4th Round Pick)
WR Plaxico Burress (signed as a UFA in 2006)
WR Amani Toomer (2nd round pick)
TE Kevin Boss (5th Round Pick)
3rd WR Steve Smith (2nd Round Pick)

RB Ahmad Bradshaw (7th Round Pick)
WR Hakeem Nicks (late 1st round pick)
WR Victor Cruz (UDFA)
TE Jake Ballard (UDFA)
3rd WR Mario Manningham (3rd Round Pick)

No team will win a Super Bowl without controlling the line of scrimmage. The Rams can not do that yet. I don't care who is out on the perimeters. If the O-Line is not good, the offense won't be good.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Playmaker said:
No team will win a Super Bowl without controlling the line of scrimmage. The Rams can not do that yet. I don't care who is out on the perimeters. If the O-Line is not good, the offense won't be good.
Well, yeah. That's like saying no team will win a Super Bowl without having a rushing attack, or a passing attack, or special teams, or winning the T.O. battle, or dominating the LOS on defense. It takes 3 phases to win the Super Bowl, typically. I don't agree that the Rams can't control the LOS yet though. Primarily because we haven't seen them play yet. Also, did you forget how well Boudreau was able to get some of those injury replacement guys to play? That could be identified as a developing trend...

It's also evident that teams can put together a solid O-line without investing a first round pick on any position throughout it as well. As was the case with the Giants in 2011, the Packers in 2010, the Saints in 2009, the Steelers in 2008, the Giants in 2007 ... and you get the point.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Playmaker said:
Or in 2010 when they took Bradford when there was many more better players in that draft. Take the BPA and you will not go wrong.

Sam Bradford was one of the highest rated prospects and an area that we desperately needed. You don't take a DT over a QB if you don't have a QB.

Angry Ram

Playmaker said:
Angry Ram said:

Angry Ram, the fact, I repeat F-A-C-T is there is a long, decade long mind you, trend going on.

Peyton Manning's 2006 Indianapolis Colts are the only Super Bowl winner in the last 12 seasons that had a first round pick at RB. And it wasn't Edgerrin James. He was already with the Arizona Cardinals. Every other Super Bowl Champion since 2001 started a RB in which they did not draft that RB in the first round.

WR Victor Cruz (UDFA)
TE Jake Ballard (UDFA)

Way to miss the point.

The Rams haven't had a winning season since 2003. Let alone SB.

1st rounders at any position, can help. Including WR.

Angry Ram

bluecoconuts said:
Playmaker said:
Or in 2010 when they took Bradford when there was many more better players in that draft. Take the BPA and you will not go wrong.

Sam Bradford was one of the highest rated prospects and an area that we desperately needed. You don't take a DT over a QB if you don't have a QB.

Two years in a row, he was.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Angry Ram said:
bluecoconuts said:
Playmaker said:

Two years in a row, he was.

Would have been 3 if he stayed an extra year.

iced

Playmaker said:
I am not like that. I know what it takes to win in the real NFL. Green Bay has one of the best passing games in the NFL.

And this is where you lose me. Green Bay also has a player named Randall Cobb, who Tavon Austin compares to the most. Similar versitility, skill set, etc. They used him out of backfield too, like you would Austin.

Austin getting a 3rd round grade because of measurables instead of production is laughable to me. Steve Smith, Cobb, Russel Wilson, Percy Harvin, Drew Brees are all examples of productive players at their perspective positions were they are/were deemed too small. I'm sure there's way more that we can list too.

iced

Angry Ram said:
Playmaker said:
Angry Ram said:

WR Victor Cruz (UDFA)
TE Jake Ballard (UDFA)

Way to miss the point.

The Rams haven't had a winning season since 2003. Let alone SB.

1st rounders at any position, can help. Including WR.

Seems to me the better point is that not only did they get atleast solid players or near it from their first round picks, but they also found several players later. that's kudo's to the scouting department..

Wait teams that won superbowl know how to get talent from their UDFA's? I wonder how long THAT TREND has been going on

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'm just not sure who you are ranting about. I don't think any single person in this forum thinks that the offensive line is fixed.

Now, since you know more than everyone here, and the media, and scouts and GM's, show us what you did in the past. Find an archived post, so we can see your genius. :mrgreen:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
C'mon guys. Can't you read the word F-A-C-T? It proves everything. I'm not even sure how anyone can argue.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamFan503 said:
C'mon guys. Can't you read the word F-A-C-T? It proves everything. I'm not even sure how anyone can argue.
Especially when you over enunciate and bold it.

B-I-T-C-H-E-S-!-!-! :sly: